It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
11 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28479 [11], given: 5106

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Fresh from GMAC - New GMAT Feature: Select Section Order

In a continuing effort to enhance the GMAT exam experience for test takers, GMAC is launching Select Section Order, a new feature that gives candidates the flexibility to customize their GMAT experience.

Beginning July 11, test takers worldwide will be able to choose the order in which they complete the four sections of the GMAT exam. Three options will be available at the test center:
  • Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative, Verbal (original order)
  • Verbal, Quantitative, Integrated Reasoning, Analytical Writing Assessment
  • Quantitative, Verbal, Integrated Reasoning, Analytical Writing Assessment

Additionally, the test taker profile update screens will be removed from the testing center and can be updated anytime on mba.com.

GMAC will be actively reaching out to candidates via email and digital media between now and July 11 to ensure they are prepared for and can take advantage of the new features. To learn more about Select Section Order and how it may impact your students, please visit our Select Section Order FAQ page.

JUNE 16, 2017 UPDATE:
Veritas Prep has introduced the new select section order option into their CAT's - https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-g ... tice-test/
Veritas Prep tests cost $49 at the moment and are included free of charge within GMAT Club's Premium Membership that costs $49. Please note that they do take 2-3 business days for Veritas Prep to activate when purchasing GMAT Club Premium Membership.

MGMAT has introduced the new select section order option into their CAT's - https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/free ... tice-test/
MGMAT is also running a special promotion and a great deal! You can get all 6 tests for only $10 - use promo code PERFECT10

Learn More

Attachment:
section order.jpg
section order.jpg [ 65.38 KiB | Viewed 16320 times ]

Important FAQ Points - You can Reschedule for free by July 11th

Q: I already have a GMAT exam scheduled. Should I reschedule it to take advantage of this new feature?
A: The decision to reschedule is up to you. For those that have already done significant preparation for the GMAT and are already prepared to take the exam, you may feel comfortable proceeding with your exam as scheduled, as the original section order will be available.

If you would like to reschedule your GMAT exam to take advantage of the new Select Section Order feature, you can call GMAC Customer Service to reschedule your exam. Both your reschedule fee and phone fee ($10) will be waived if your request is received within a 7-day grace period of the announcement (request via phone must be received on or prior to June 22, 2017). Remember, you have to call in to customer service by June 22 to have the fee waived.

After the grace period, you may reschedule your GMAT exam online, at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment, for the standard reschedule fee.

Q: Are there study and preparation materials available that simulate the GMAT exam in different orders?
A: The Select Section Order feature is not currently available in the full-length practice exams in the mba.com store, which includes GMAT Prep and Exam Packs 1 and 2. These products will be updated with the Select Section Order feature by July 31, 2017.

You can still download or purchase any full-length exam product via mba.com/store between now and the release of the updated versions. When the software is updated to include the Select Section Order feature, you will be eligible for a complimentary upgrade of GMAT Prep or Exam Pack.

In the meantime, you can use the Test Bank Tool in the Online Official Guide to build your own question sets by question type in your preferred order.

We recommend that if you are not comfortable with a different section order, you can take the GMAT exam in the original section order.

Q: What was involved in the 2016 pilot testing for Select Section Order and what were the results?
A: The purpose of the 2016 pilot test for Select Section Order was two-fold:

1. Determine which section orders were the most popular amongst candidates
2. Verify that taking the exam in different section orders did not impact the integrity of the GMAT score

The pilot successfully determined the two most popular section orders that will be implemented with the new feature (in addition to the original section order). The pilot also confirmed that statistically, the integrity of the GMAT scores was not impacted by candidates taking the exam with different section orders.

Official Press Release is here: http://newscenter.gmac.com/press-releas ... 667560_001

Questions from GMAT Club Members & Analysis

Q: Does this mean GMAT scores will get inflated?
A: It would seem that ability to choose order of sections, esp being able to put IR and AWA at the very end would give one an edge in getting a better V or Q scores. However, the GMAC's FAQ section specifically mentioned that the overall scores have not been affected and the pilot demonstrated that the change of sequences was more of a convenience than an advantage. I don't know how they would measure this or arrived to this conclusion specifically. I know that they did offer it to re-takers, so they had some expectation as to how much retakers improve on average. The only way this would make sense is if some people scored higher and some lower as I still think there is some advantage in taking the V or Q before AWA or IR.

My take is that it will likely improve some scores for some folks, esp those who were lacking a few points to go from 650 to 660 for example but it will likely have a counter-balance effect and will force some people to score less due to over-confidence or taking their hardest section cold. Thus the overall statistics will remain unchanged but each individual test taker result will vary. Just a prediction over here.

Q: Can you reschedule your test Online for free?
A: No, you have to call the customer service by June 22nd to have the fee waived.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Last edited by bb on 16 Jun 2017, 16:30, edited 11 times in total.
Updated FAQ

Kudos [?]: 28479 [11], given: 5106

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
G
Status: 'When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people."

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 91

WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 08:01
Is this a good thing or bad thing? I always felt that the IR section drained me...I have performed better on mock CATS whenever I have taken the test without the IR and essay section. By tackling the main sections first, I feel I will be in a better position. Quant isn't a strength for me anyway, so tackling it first would relieve me. bb would request your thoughts on this new feature.
Also does this also mean that GMAC will make the test content even more difficult, since it is giving us this flexibility? :shock:

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
Kaal

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

3 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 945 [3], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
Kaal wrote:
Is this a good thing or bad thing? I always felt that the IR section drained me...I have performed better on mock CATS whenever I have taken the test without the IR and essay section. By tackling the main sections first, I feel I will be in a better position. Quant isn't a strength for me anyway, so tackling it first would relieve me. bb would request your thoughts on this new feature.
Also does this also mean that GMAC will make the test content even more difficult, since it is giving us this flexibility? :shock:

I don't think test content will become more difficult since there might be some who will still go with existing section order . Also , in my opinion , it is really difficult to concentrate on a dense RC passage at the end of the test .
On the other hand , some people might want a warm-up before they start with sections that count - Quant and Verbal .
Personally , i will prefer the below order though -
Quantitative, Verbal, Integrated Reasoning, Analytical Writing Assessment .

Q: What was involved in the 2016 pilot testing for Select Section Order and what were the results?
A: The purpose of the 2016 pilot test for Select Section Order was two-fold:

1. Determine which section orders were the most popular amongst candidates
2. Verify that taking the exam in different section orders did not impact the integrity of the GMAT score

The pilot successfully determined the two most popular section orders that will be implemented with the new feature (in addition to the original section order). The pilot also confirmed that statistically, the integrity of the GMAT scores was not impacted by candidates taking the exam with different section orders.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 945 [3], given: 72

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
Status: 'When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people."

Kudos [?]: 66 [1], given: 91

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
same preference for me. But gmac should've upgraded the gmatprep software so that students could take practice cats to know which order suits them best.

Thank you.
Regards,
Kaal

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Last edited by Kaal on 15 Jun 2017, 08:58, edited 3 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 66 [1], given: 91

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28479 [2], given: 5106

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This will likely cause some score inflation - not big but some. My guess however, is that GMAC has determined the opposite - the increase/changes to the scores were minimal and not big enough to warrant score inconsistency. Interesting additional tidbit from FAQ:

Will the section order choice be displayed on score reports?
A: No, the section order selected will not be shown on any unofficial or official score report. Schools will not know which section order a candidate selected.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

GPA: 3.1
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 09:01
I think this will dilute the value of a GMAT score on applications.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 09:16
Interesting changes... I recently started studying for my GMAT again and plan to take it later this summer.

I'm wondering if any prep companies will introduce timely changes to their practice CATs to allow for this new flexibility for candidates preparing for GMAT right now. :problem:

Good to know that the official practice tests on mba. com will be updated soon, but July 31st for the update seems too far. Hope something comes up sooner.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

Premium Member CAT Tests
BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 09:31
bb wrote:

Important FAQ Points - You can Reschedule for free by July 11th

Q: I already have a GMAT exam scheduled. Should I reschedule it to take advantage of this new feature?
A: The decision to reschedule is up to you. For those that have already done significant preparation for the GMAT and are already prepared to take the exam, you may feel comfortable proceeding with your exam as scheduled, as the original section order will be available.

If you would like to reschedule your GMAT exam to take advantage of the new Select Section Order feature, you can call GMAC Customer Service to reschedule your exam. Both your reschedule fee and phone fee ($10) will be waived if your request is received within a 7-day grace period of the announcement (request via phone must be received on or prior to June 22, 2017). Remember, you have to call in to customer service by June 22 to have the fee waived.

After the grace period, you may reschedule your GMAT exam online, at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment, for the standard reschedule fee.

Last edited by Shiv2016 on 25 Sep 2017, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28479 [1], given: 5106

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Shiv2016 wrote:

Test takers can reschedule for free before June 22. Is it applicable to only those test takers who have exam before June 22 ?

Try applying your critical reading skills and re-read carefully the announcement. Look at the scope and context. It talks about the 7-day grace period. Nowhere does it say you will be limited around the test dates. However, I would infer that you can reschedule a test that is taking place between tomorrow and July 11th for free as long as you call in the next 7 days. If both of those conditions are met, there is no fee. Otherwise, there will be a fee.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 97

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 09:59
Hi,
I already scheduled my exam on 17th July'17. Would i get an option to select the selection order at test center or do i need to re-schedule the exam date to avail this option ?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 97

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 787 [1], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
monikaranchi26 wrote:
Hi,
I already scheduled my exam on 17th July'17. Would i get an option to select the selection order at test center or do i need to re-schedule the exam date to avail this option ?

As per the announcement made by GMAC, any exam on or after 11th July will have the selection option. So, you are good.

V21 ---> V40!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 192

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
Interesting! Thanks bb for this information. I've received also the official email from GMAC.

About reschedule, I can conclude that the fee waiver only available for those who reschedule via phone.
The announcement explicitly stated that we can reschedule online only after the grace period. Please correct my if I'm wrong.

I really love this major innovation. Since Quant and Verbal are the most demanding sections, we should use the best of our brain in these two sections.
Furthermore, conducting AWA in the last seems good - quite similar with TOEFL test, which put writing test on the last section.

Thanks!

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 192

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 10:09
Hi, I have scheduled my exam after 11th of July i.e. on 17th July, so am i eligible to select the announced selection order at test center ?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
abhi88shek wrote:
Hi, I have scheduled my exam after 11th of July i.e. on 17th July, so am i eligible to select the announced selection order at test center ?

Please read my response for the same question here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/big-gmat-cha ... l#p1870364

V21 ---> V40!

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1563 [5], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I was probably a little bit too excited when my inbox started filling with these announcements this morning! For some people, it really won't make much of a difference, but if you struggle with your stamina on verbal, this is HUGE.

For me personally, the very hardest thing on the GMAT is maintaining my precision on RC and CR when I'm in my 4th hour of test-taking -- and I think that's true for a lot of GMAT Club members. If you can do the verbal when you're fresh at the beginning of the exam, that should make a big difference.

Sure, maybe it only means that you'll get an extra two or three verbal questions right, and that might only add an extra 10-20 points on your composite GMAT score. But sometimes that extra 20 points is a really big deal in the current MBA admissions climate. So this might not matter for some test-takers, but for anybody who needs to squeeze every possible point out of verbal -- this is a really, really big deal. I love it.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Kudos [?]: 1563 [5], given: 400

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 10:40
Interesting points made in a veritas prep article about this...ImageImage

Article link: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2016/0 ... er-option/

Thank you.
Regards,
Kaal

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Kaal wrote:
Interesting points made in a veritas prep article about this...
Article link: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2016/0 ... er-option/

It is a Jan 2016 article when the pilot was rolled out.
There is also a webinar tomorrow held by GMAC for all test prep companies (GMAT Club has been invited as well) and I anticipate much of the time will be spent explaining this decision. If something new is shared, I will update the post once the webinar is over around 10 AM PST tomorrow.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 10:54
Quote:
There is also a webinar tomorrow held by GMAC for all test prep companies (GMAT Club has been invited as well) and I anticipate much of the time will be spent explaining this decision. If something new is shared, I will update the post once the webinar is over around 10 AM PST tomorrow.

Yes sir I did check the date, but posted the article here because I felt the points made were interesting and relevant. Looking forward to hearing insights from your webinar tomorrow.

Thank you.
Regards,
Kaal

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Kaal wrote:
Quote:

Yes sir I did check the date, but posted the article here because I felt the points made were interesting and relevant. Looking forward to hearing insights from your webinar tomorrow.

Yes, and Skywalker18 has pointed it out to you that the official results determined that there was no meaningful impact on the test score results: https://gmatclub.com/forum/big-gmat-cha ... l#p1870290

Founder of GMAT Club

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 11:47
Hey guys did anyone tried rescheduling?
I tried to do it online but it is asking for 50 bucks ....

Is it free only if we call them and re-schedule ?

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 198

Re: BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2017, 11:47

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 120 posts ] 

BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap