It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1590 [1], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 17:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
And here's a way to use the GMATPrep Question Pack to create "fake tests" that feel somewhat like real GMAT exams. The best part: you can do the sections in any order you want. https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 44293.html

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1590 [1], given: 400

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [3], given: 24

Re: BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 01:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I took GMAT exam yesterday with the new select section feature in the order: Verbal, Quant, IR and AWA. I was scoring 730 - 740 in the GMAT Prep Mock tests. I was expecting something above 700. But unfortunately got 590 (Q:49,V:24). I am really disappointed with my score. Now I am planning to take again in the old order only. Not sure what was the cause of this much score dip in verbal. Because I used to do "fake tests" as mentioned by a member, GMATNinja, everyday for 20 days with verbal first and used to score anywhere between 35-38 correct answers out of 41 questions in a timed condition. I am trying to introspect the causes for my low verbal score. I am feeling I should not have taken the exam in the new order. :(
Did anyone take GMAT in any of the new section orders? Please share your experiences.

Thanks,
Ramya

Kudos [?]: 10 [3], given: 24

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28510 [2], given: 5114

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ramyanag wrote:
Hi,

I took GMAT exam yesterday with the new select section feature in the order: Verbal, Quant, IR and AWA. I was scoring 730 - 740 in the GMAT Prep Mock tests. I was expecting something above 700. But unfortunately got 590 (Q:49,V:24). I am really disappointed with my score. Now I am planning to take again in the old order only. Not sure what was the cause of this much score dip in verbal. Because I used to do "fake tests" as mentioned by a member, GMATNinja, everyday for 20 days with verbal first and used to score anywhere between 35-38 correct answers out of 41 questions in a timed condition. I am trying to introspect the causes for my low verbal score. I am feeling I should not have taken the exam in the new order. :(
Did anyone take GMAT in any of the new section orders? Please share your experiences.

Wow. Crap! Sorry to hear that.... any idea at all what went wrong?
Thank you for sharing your experience. Really appreciate it.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28510 [2], given: 5114

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 189

Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 11:16
Could anyone taking GMAT with new order option share about experience of going through test? Is it much different than the old order and what do you think of questions difficulty levels compared to the ones in previous tests?

4 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 184 [4], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all,

I took the test yesterday in the new format with Quant - Verbal - IR/AWA order ..
and although I improved on my quant score from 49 in my last attempt to 50 in this one, I lost 4 points in verbal and scored a miserable 35 ...I have no idea about what went wrong as I was consistently scoring 41-42 in Veritas prep mocks and never scored less than 37 in any CATs.

I don't feel that the order of the section affected my scoring in first two section but I do feel that it certainly affected my IR score which again went down from 6 to 4 in this attempt...and I was literally blank in few of the IR question ..I feel exam fatigue may be or a bit tougher question ...

the best part was AWA ...had no pressure what so ever by that time and was really enjoying typing (and making key-strokes noise - later realised that it must have been pretty disturbing for others as the center did not gave us any ear buds)

Anyways, will be taking the exam again by the end of this month ....can't live with a 710/720 score !!!
Won't Rest until I score the coveted 760 !!!

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 184 [4], given: 198

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 21

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 12:34
My GMAT is in 15 days and I wanted to confirm an assumption. For quite some time now, we've heard that it is really important to take the full 4 hours test on GMATPrep to have similar levels of fatigue on test day. However, with the new changes, I plan to do Verbal>Quant>IR>AWA. Is it safe to assume that only taking the 2.5 GMATPrep test, i.e. skipping AWA/IR and answering only Q/V will not have an impact on the score vis-a-vis the real test.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 13:06
mihir0710 wrote:
Hey all,

I took the test yesterday in the new format with Quant - Verbal - IR/AWA order ..
and although I improved on my quant score from 49 in my last attempt to 50 in this one, I lost 4 points in verbal and scored a miserable 35 ...I have no idea about what went wrong as I was consistently scoring 41-42 in Veritas prep mocks and never scored less than 37 in any CATs.

I don't feel that the order of the section affected my scoring in first two section but I do feel that it certainly affected my IR score which again went down from 6 to 4 in this attempt...and I was literally blank in few of the IR question ..I feel exam fatigue may be or a bit tougher question ...

the best part was AWA ...had no pressure what so ever by that time and was really enjoying typing (and making key-strokes noise - later realised that it must have been pretty disturbing for others as the center did not gave us any ear buds)

Anyways, will be taking the exam again by the end of this month ....can't live with a 710/720 score !!!
Won't Rest until I score the coveted 760 !!!

Thanks for sharing your exam experience! Your score is not that disappointing as you thought though. Could you share how you study for verbal? Is verbal in Veritas similar to the one in the test?

Really appreciate!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1590 [2], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 19:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ramyanag wrote:
Hi,

Wow, sorry to hear about the bad experience on the exam! Were any of those practice tests repeats, by any chance? I'm just wondering if your GMATPrep results might have been inflated by familiarity with some of the questions at all?

The only other thing I can think of is that you might have felt a little bit out of sorts at the very beginning of the testing experience. The nice thing about the old order is that you can "warm up" with the AWA and IR, and get yourself settled into the testing environment. Maybe jumping right into verbal might have made you a little bit less comfortable than usual?

Just a thought. In general, I think it's good to start with a section that you're comfortable with -- whatever that might mean for you. Quant, maybe?

Sorry again to hear about the frustrating experience!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1590 [2], given: 400

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 479 [1], given: 53

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 22:26
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Good news: GMAC has updated the official GMAT Prep software to include the Select Section Order feature!

Download the update here.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and via Skype, since 2002.

McElroy Tutoring

Kudos [?]: 479 [1], given: 53

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 00:28
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Good news: GMAC has updated the official GMAT Prep software to include the Select Section Order feature!

Download the update here.

-Brian

I already added the 2 additional exam packs. Is there a way to upgrade without losing my test scores?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 42

Schools: Melbourne '20
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 01:39
GMATNinja wrote:
ramyanag wrote:
Hi,

Wow, sorry to hear about the bad experience on the exam! Were any of those practice tests repeats, by any chance? I'm just wondering if your GMATPrep results might have been inflated by familiarity with some of the questions at all?

The only other thing I can think of is that you might have felt a little bit out of sorts at the very beginning of the testing experience. The nice thing about the old order is that you can "warm up" with the AWA and IR, and get yourself settled into the testing environment. Maybe jumping right into verbal might have made you a little bit less comfortable than usual?

Just a thought. In general, I think it's good to start with a section that you're comfortable with -- whatever that might mean for you. Quant, maybe?

Hi GMATNinja,

I had my exam today with the new selection order (Quant-Verbal-IR). My score today: 530 (Q37, V27, IR4). Needless to say, I was devastated.

I have been scoring consistently 730-750 (Q48-49, V41-43) in the mocks. Granted, my mock scores were a little inflated, but I cannot imagine my actual score dropping more than 200 points. I think there is something seriously wrong with the algorithm of the new selection order.

Do you think there will be any review from GMAC on these inconsistencies?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Aparna

Sent from my SM-G925I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 01:49
suryaaparna wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
ramyanag wrote:
Hi,

Hi GMATNinja,

I had my exam today with the new selection order (Quant-Verbal-IR). My score today: 530 (Q37, V27, IR4). Needless to say, I was devastated.

I have been scoring consistently 730-750 (Q48-49, V41-43) in the mocks. Granted, my mock scores were a little inflated, but I cannot imagine my actual score dropping more than 200 points. I think there is something seriously wrong with the algorithm of the new selection order.

Do you think there will be any review from GMAC on these inconsistencies?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Aparna

To add further, I gave my 1st exam in Apil with 2 months preparation and scored a 640 (Q44, V35). After rigorous prep of another 2 months, I was expecting a decent score of at least 700

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 02:34
suryaaparna wrote:
Aparna, underperforming on the exam is never going to feel good. However, the algorithm has nothing to do with it. In fact, the GMAT algorithm has not changed at all. And as far as I'm aware, the GMAT does not allow any internal review of the main score (external options include things like going to court) as they check the score before generating the official score report (you can appeal AWA scores though).

I suggest you get the ESR as soon as possible and see what happened on test day before you decide on next steps.

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 02:57
AjiteshArun wrote:
suryaaparna wrote:
Aparna, underperforming on the exam is never going to feel good. However, the algorithm has nothing to do with it. In fact, the GMAT algorithm has not changed at all. And as far as I'm aware, the GMAT does not allow any internal review of the main score (external options include things like going to court) as they check the score before generating the official score report (you can appeal AWA scores though).

I suggest you get the ESR as soon as possible and see what happened on test day before you decide on next steps.

Thank you AjiteshArun. I am applying for ESR at the moment. I am planning to give my exam again with a month. Do you think taking the traditional order will be a good idea? At least, I know it works as expected!!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 05:51
I think it may be better to give more time to study again before you take the next exam. Even the order may affect score, there may be still gaps in knowledge and practice needed to break 700. However, it would be great if you could share your ESR for further understanding of the exam date.

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 06:37
kimrani wrote:
I think it may be better to give more time to study again before you take the next exam. Even the order may affect score, there may be still gaps in knowledge and practice needed to break 700. However, it would be great if you could share your ESR for further understanding of the exam date.

Thank you kimrani.

VP
VP
D

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 19:58
suryaaparna wrote:
Thank you AjiteshArun. I am applying for ESR at the moment. I am planning to give my exam again with a month. Do you think taking the traditional order will be a good idea? At least, I know it works as expected!!
I really think that you'd just be making things more difficult for yourself by going with the original order. Try taking a few more practice tests (with the new section order) and then take a call on this.

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 00:25
GMATNinja wrote:
ramyanag wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

When I solved the problems of GMATPrep Question Pack some were repeat questions about 90 on the whole (the free ones). But not all. The mock tests of GMAT Prep were repeat. However, I took these tests after a gap of more than a year. Even though for few questions I felt like "I have read this question", I didn't remember the answer options. But still if I take scores of verbal (41,42) as inflated, even then 24 in verbal is something unbelievable for me.

Also, while taking the exam I felt strange. I was getting almost all "easy" questions. Even I felt the RC passages were way too easier. Not sure it is just my feeling. The questions following those RC passages were also easier. Got many "Details" question. For me it is one of the easier type of question in RC (not sure if you consider the average difficulty for all the test takers). For majority of the questions I was sure of the answers. During the first break (after verbal), I felt like I may not get a really good score in verbal (thought to be something between 35-38), as I felt I didn't get a chance to solve many "difficult" questions, which would have earned me more marks per question. Still it didn't affect my performance in quant or IR.

In short, all I can deduce from this is either I was overconfident (though I didn't run through all the questions without comprehending them) OR the section order Verbal- Quant- IR- AWA will not work for me as I may require some "warm up" OR there has been some changes in the GMAT algorithm.

I am planning to take GMAT exam again. What do you suggest? Which order should I consider? Or how to know which one works for me and which one will ruin my score?

Thanks,
Ramya

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 01:39
I was obviously not happy with my first score of 660 (Q44, Q36) . While i was considering to re-take it, many well-wishers talked me against it, asking me to instead focus on my application and shine through that (standardized tests were never my cup of tea anyway). However, somewhat feeling humiliated by that low Quant score (i was always a, supposedly, Math genius at school) and given the opportunity to take advantage of this new section order, i booked a date to give GMAT a last try.
But going by the comments posted previously on this thread, and my own experience with this new feature, there's something fishy with this change. My verbal score, just like everyone else's on this thread, dropped harder than a David Guetta's beat. (ok, maybe not so much, but V32; c'mon)! And just like all the rants here, i never scored below V36 (or Q47 for that matter) on the mocks.
My overall score this time was 630(Q44, V32) that i immediately cancelled, but not feeling surprised or shocked. I had read this thread the day before the exam, and i had a sneaky feeling about what i was going to score, irrespective of the amount of prep effort i had put in the previous weeks. Turns out my premonitions were right.

Verbal was tough this time, way tougher than when i got that V36. But my V score fell and I don't know if that has to do with the selection order (Quant-Verbal - IR/AWA). I wasn't nervous, i was finishing questions well within time, and playing by the book. And yet the result. Quant i would say was alright, i thought i did a great job, but oh well, 44 it still was. At least the experience was not like last time's, when for no reason after the first question, the system started serving me baby algebra and i was like, what did i do to deserve this!

So, essentially, i learned i cannot tame the GMAT system or understand it! I hope people looking to try out the new selection order do so with caution and after taking a few mocks.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 03:13
Well, I just googled "exam was difficult after the exam pattern change 11 july gmatclub". I landed up on this post. I just appeared for the exam few hours ago and scored 640. I feel devastated. It was my repeat attempt after my first attempt of 650(v30). This time I prepared rigorously and was confident for a 700+ score. My mock (unattempted GMATPrep 5 and 6) scores were 690 and 730. Veritas and Manhattan consistently giving me 36-38. I am pretty much sure something is wrong with the new algorithm.

As few others have mentioned above that they were confident that they were doing well and scores depicted something else, the same happened with me today. The only reason I can figure out now is : The software was throwing easy questions from1-20 then after that 20-41 were medium to hard level. If you do easy questions wrong your score takes a great dip. But again, V28 ?, I still can not gulp it.

I am still not able to figure out what went wrong.

I would like to know from the experts about this situation. May be their experience can help the prospective students. Further, I think GMAT refreshes the question pack in 15 day cycle, so it seems this 15 day cycle- 11 July - 26 July - has got some tricky questions. These are all my speculations. But believe me, SOMETHING IS WRONG.

The guy who was sitting next to me also concurred, his previous attempt was 700, today he scored 660, again huge drop in verbal when I asked him what went wrong, he replied "I thought I did very well"

Anyways I won't be able to sleep tonight!!

Good luck to all those reading this post and have their exam in the coming days. Please post your reviews as I 'd like to know whether it just those who are getting low scores posting on this post or is this a real issue.

Regards,

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2017, 03:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 120 posts ] 

BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap