It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 09:53

Happening Now:

Alleviate MBA app anxiety! Come to Chat Room #2

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 42

Schools: Melbourne '20
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37
Re: BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 09:49
suryaaparna wrote:
suryaaparna wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
[quote="ramyanag"]Hi,

I took GMAT exam yesterday with the new select section feature in the order: Verbal, Quant, IR and AWA. I was scoring 730 - 740 in the GMAT Prep Mock tests. I was expecting something above 700. But unfortunately got 590 (Q:49,V:24). I am really disappointed with my score. Now I am planning to take again in the old order only. Not sure what was the cause of this much score dip in verbal. Because I used to do "fake tests" as mentioned by a member, GMATNinja, everyday for 20 days with verbal first and used to score anywhere between 35-38 correct answers out of 41 questions in a timed condition. I am trying to introspect the causes for my low verbal score. I am feeling I should not have taken the exam in the new order. :(
Did anyone take GMAT in any of the new section orders? Please share your experiences.

Wow, sorry to hear about the bad experience on the exam! Were any of those practice tests repeats, by any chance? I'm just wondering if your GMATPrep results might have been inflated by familiarity with some of the questions at all?

The only other thing I can think of is that you might have felt a little bit out of sorts at the very beginning of the testing experience. The nice thing about the old order is that you can "warm up" with the AWA and IR, and get yourself settled into the testing environment. Maybe jumping right into verbal might have made you a little bit less comfortable than usual?

Just a thought. In general, I think it's good to start with a section that you're comfortable with -- whatever that might mean for you. Quant, maybe?

Sorry again to hear about the frustrating experience!

Hi GMATNinja,

I had my exam today with the new selection order (Quant-Verbal-IR). My score today: 530 (Q37, V27, IR4). Needless to say, I was devastated.

I have been scoring consistently 730-750 (Q48-49, V41-43) in the mocks. Granted, my mock scores were a little inflated, but I cannot imagine my actual score dropping more than 200 points. I think there is something seriously wrong with the algorithm of the new selection order.

Do you think there will be any review from GMAC on these inconsistencies?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Aparna

Sent from my SM-G925I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

To add further, I gave my 1st exam in Apil with 2 months preparation and scored a 640 (Q44, V35). After rigorous prep of another 2 months, I was expecting a decent score of at least 700

Sent from my SM-G925I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/quote]
I gave my GMAT exam today after a gap of 15 days and scored 670 (Q45, V37, IR6). Though I am not happy with my score as I was aiming for 700+, I am at least satisfied. I took the exam in the traditional order this time. After the disastrous score of 530 that I scored a fortnight ago, I think this score is a major improvement. The traditional order is almost similar to Gmatprep mock and the questions are of similar difficulty.

In conclusion, I had a very bad experience with the Quant-Verbal-IR-Essay order. The traditional order worked better for me.

Cheers,
Aparna

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 204

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 317 Q163 V154
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 10:20
suryaaparna wrote:

I gave my GMAT exam today after a gap of 15 days and scored 670 (Q45, V37, IR6). Though I am not happy with my score as I was aiming for 700+, I am at least satisfied. I took the exam in the traditional order this time. After the disastrous score of 530 that I scored a fortnight ago, I think this score is a major improvement. The traditional order is almost similar to Gmatprep mock and the questions are of similar difficulty.

In conclusion, I had a very bad experience with the Quant-Verbal-IR-Essay order. The traditional order worked better for me.

Cheers,
Aparna

Do you really blame section order change for the low score?
No other major/minor change in
    night routine prior to exam day?
    level of excitement and nervousness before the test?
    technique of answering questions?
    breaks routine

I am asking this because after the initial response from others "GMAT is getting harder", we are now getting the responses "GMAT didnt changed". And the latter response coming from people who scored high as well as from those who scored low.

Did you analyze your ESR from first and second GMAT? Did you see something really off about that? Was score in all your subsections consistent?

Sorry for so many questions! But people like me would like to know the answers to analyze whether to go for section order change!

Regards!
:)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.33
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 10:50
AkshayKS21
Quote:
breaks routine

I am asking this because after the initial response from others "GMAT is getting harder", we are now getting the responses "GMAT didnt changed". And the latter response coming from people who scored high as well as from those who scored low.

Did you analyze your ESR from first and second GMAT? Did you see something really off about that? Was score in all your subsections consistent?

Sorry for so many questions! But people like me would like to know the answers to analyze whether to go for section order change!

Regards!

you should really give mock tests with different orders and see what is most comfortable for you. I chose V<Q<IR<AWA because I used to get exhausted doing verbal last even after 10 practice tests. I also didn't choose quant first because I was bit better at Quant than verbal so I decided to attack the section that I was weakest at. Other people on this forum have attempted their strongest section first to boost their confidence. The strategy you choose is highly dependent on you and how comfortable you are with different section.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 79

Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 11:29
Thanks everyone who has posted the feedback after the addition of new options.
I am going to stick to the old format as I feel the Awa and IR are warm ups for me. I have tried practicing IR, unable to see an improvement, so I am not expecting to crack it. I would rather use it to warm up and get to real work once it's over. Also, I believe I won't be able to wait for the score once quant and verbal are done, old habits die hard!

Though I had thought of hitting verbal first, am going to stick to the older format. The thought of jumping into the SC ocean right at the beginning looks daunting to me now!

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Last edited by spc11 on 02 Aug 2017, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: Melbourne '20
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 11:30
AkshayKS21 wrote:
suryaaparna wrote:

Cheers,
Aparna

breaks routine

Regards!

I don't think my level of preparation was any different to that of the previous attempt. On the contrary, my morale was very low after the disastrous score. I had to work very hard to gain back my confidence.

I still think something was wrong with the algorithm immediately after go-live of the order levels. During the 2nd attempt in which I scored 530, I kept on thinking I am getting low difficulty questions, but I concentrated on the exam and didn't spare it much thought. However, the end result showed that I was indeed right to worry. It happened with both the sections, quant and verbal.

Anyway, I suggest that you give all your mocks in the order you are comfortable with. This way, you will be able to stimulate the real-time test and check how you are preforming.

Hope I have answered all your questions!

Cheers.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2], given: 32

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIM-A"19
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 08:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Everyone,

I gave my first attempt at GMAT today in the following order Q>V>IR>AWA and scored 720 (Q49 V39 IR7)
My GMATPrep scores are as below:

GMATPrep 1 - 710 (Q48 V39) (traditional order) Neighbours disturbed me during this test and as a result ended up not answering one question in quant
GMATPrep EP1 Exam 1 - 690 (Q47 V38) (V>Q>IR>AWA)
GMATPrep EP1 Exam 2 - 680 (Q49 V34) (Q>V>IR>AWA)
GMATPrep EP2 Exam 1 - 660 (Q44 V37) (Q>V>IR>AWA) No idea why my score tanked in this one. Maybe because I was burnt-out with over preparation.

Overall I felt that the exam today was more or less similar to the GMATPrep. Even the scores say so.
I am afraid of the AWA score as I was exhausted by then and feel that my essay was not up to the mark.

Hope this information helps.

Cheers!
:-D

Kudos [?]: 7 [2], given: 32

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 08:52
srk89 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I gave my first attempt at GMAT today in the following order Q>V>IR>AWA and scored 720 (Q49 V39 IR7)

GMATPrep 1 - 710 (Q48 V39) (traditional order) Neighbours disturbed me during this test and as a result ended up not answering one question in quant
GMATPrep EP2 Exam 1 - 660 (Q44 V37) (Q>V>IR>AWA) No idea why my score tanked in this one. Maybe because I was burnt-out with over preparation.

Overall I felt that the exam today was more or less similar to the GMATPrep. Even the scores say so.
I am afraid of the AWA score as I was exhausted by then and feel that my essay was not up to the mark.

Cheers!

Congratulations on a high score!! :D

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 259

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 07:04
srk89 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Cheers!

As soon as you said 'neighbours disturbed me..' I immediately thought 'Must be from my country :)'.. Then i looked at your profile on the left and yes, you indeed are from India :)
heartiest Congratulations on a good score by the way.

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 259

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 06:56
How can I put this new feature to practice? I am not sure if I should stick to the original format or start with Verbal first. If I do start with verbal first on the GMAT exam, I am anxious if that would affect my score negatively because I didn't practice with Verbal first.

Thoughts?

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 07:34
pra1785 wrote:
How can I put this new feature to practice? I am not sure if I should stick to the original format or start with Verbal first. If I do start with verbal first on the GMAT exam, I am anxious if that would affect my score negatively because I didn't practice with Verbal first.

Thoughts?

Hi pra1785 ,

You should not change the order unless you have practiced the new order atleast 4 to 5 times.

Please note that changing the order at the last moment can actually screw everything. I would suggest BE AWARE. :)

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 62

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 05:45
srk89 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Hope this information helps.,

Cheers!

Hi,

Does the GMAT prep software give the option to chose order? I am not sure if the software is updated..... how were you able to take gmat prep tests with that order?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 05:46
abhimahna wrote:
pra1785 wrote:

Thoughts?

Hi pra1785 ,

You should not change the order unless you have practiced the new order atleast 4 to 5 times.

Please note that changing the order at the last moment can actually screw everything. I would suggest BE AWARE. :)

Hi,

Just to understand, how can it mess up everything as long as you know the stuff ? would it really matter?

Manager
Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 05:55
pra1785 wrote:
Hi,

Does the GMAT prep software give the option to chose order? I am not sure if the software is updated..... how were you able to take gmat prep tests with that order?

Hi!
Well of course the software is updated.
Open GMATPrep and the "update" option pops up. We can update the software without disturbing the existing test data.
Else, go to mba.com and re-download :)

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [3], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
Took the test today 710(Q48,V40,IR8). I am happy that it crossed 700/but was aiming 750. Anyway the order I chose was Q-V-IR-Awa.
The exam felt just like GMAT prep, with some really easy ones freaking me out a bit! And I scored 48 in Quant, which isn't a good score. Thank God for verbal, it just saved me.

Awa shouldn't come back too bad! Fingers crossed.

I shall post a debrief soon.

Thanks GMaTCLUB!

Kudos [?]: 14 [3], given: 79

Manager
Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 07:56
spc11 wrote:
Took the test today 710(Q48,V40,IR8). I am happy that it crossed 700/but was aiming 750. Anyway the order I chose was Q-V-IR-Awa.
The exam felt just like GMAT prep, with some really easy ones freaking me out a bit! And I scored 48 in Quant, which isn't a good score. Thank God for verbal, it just saved me.

Thanks GMaTCLUB!

So you din't stick to "traditional" order :lol:
Congratulations! 710 is a good score :)
And IR 8! You were frightened of IR (as per your last post). Good one! :)

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 09:55
AkshayKS21 wrote:
pra1785 wrote:
Hi,

Hi!
Well of course the software is updated.
Open GMATPrep and the "update" option pops up. We can update the software without disturbing the existing test data.
Else, go to mba.com and re-download :)

I did not know that! I did not get the updated option :(
I wasted both my test now without knowing this :cry:

Thanks for updating me though and congrats!

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 10:01
AkshayKS21 wrote:
spc11 wrote:

Thanks GMaTCLUB!

So you din't stick to "traditional" order
Congratulations! 710 is a good score :)
And IR 8! You were frightened of IR (as per your last post). Good one! :)

Thanks Akshay!!

The order was more of a last.minute change as I was too sleepy and didn't know if I will survive after one hour of Awa and IR! I thought mostly we practice without IR and AWA and jump to quant. So it didn't sound like a big leap, a risk I took which I definitely don't recommend without preconditioning in the practice tests!

IR looked pretty doable, I was myself surprised at the questions and thought there must be a catch...but score says there wasn't!

Thanks again!

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 459 [0], given: 53

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 20:07
Top Contributor
So I finally got around to taking the GMAT with the select section order feature--I chose Verbal, Quant, IR, AWA as the order of my sections, and I scored a 750 composite (Q50, V42, IR 8, 6 AWA).

My debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-tutor-debrief-finally-cracked-q50-q50-v42-ir8-750-composite-248190.html#p1916781

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and via Skype, since 2002.

McElroy Tutoring

Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 17 Sep 2017, 16:18, edited 3 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 459 [0], given: 53

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 22

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 20:27
The new changes will likely provide more flexibility to the candidates:)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 22

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 07:48
kishor1 wrote:
The new changes will likely provide more flexibility to the candidates:)
I wonder whether a year from now we'll see the GMAT introduce the option to take the exam over multiple days!

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 4

Re: BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2017, 07:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   [ 120 posts ]