Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: Melbourne '20
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q163 V154
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Re: BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]
Thanks everyone who has posted the feedback after the addition of new options.
I am going to stick to the old format as I feel the Awa and IR are warm ups for me. I have tried practicing IR, unable to see an improvement, so I am not expecting to crack it. I would rather use it to warm up and get to real work once it's over. Also, I believe I won't be able to wait for the score once quant and verbal are done, old habits die hard!

Though I had thought of hitting verbal first, am going to stick to the older format. The thought of jumping into the SC ocean right at the beginning looks daunting to me now!

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Originally posted by spc11 on 02 Aug 2017, 11:29.
Last edited by spc11 on 02 Aug 2017, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: Melbourne '20
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37
Send PM
Re: BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]
AkshayKS21 wrote:
suryaaparna wrote:

I gave my GMAT exam today after a gap of 15 days and scored 670 (Q45, V37, IR6). Though I am not happy with my score as I was aiming for 700+, I am at least satisfied. I took the exam in the traditional order this time. After the disastrous score of 530 that I scored a fortnight ago, I think this score is a major improvement. The traditional order is almost similar to Gmatprep mock and the questions are of similar difficulty.

In conclusion, I had a very bad experience with the Quant-Verbal-IR-Essay order. The traditional order worked better for me.

Cheers,
Aparna

Sent from my SM-G925I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Do you really blame section order change for the low score?
No other major/minor change in
    night routine prior to exam day?
    level of excitement and nervousness before the test?
    technique of answering questions?
    breaks routine

I am asking this because after the initial response from others "GMAT is getting harder", we are now getting the responses "GMAT didnt changed". And the latter response coming from people who scored high as well as from those who scored low.

Did you analyze your ESR from first and second GMAT? Did you see something really off about that? Was score in all your subsections consistent?

Sorry for so many questions! But people like me would like to know the answers to analyze whether to go for section order change!

Regards!
:)

I don't think my level of preparation was any different to that of the previous attempt. On the contrary, my morale was very low after the disastrous score. I had to work very hard to gain back my confidence.

I still think something was wrong with the algorithm immediately after go-live of the order levels. During the 2nd attempt in which I scored 530, I kept on thinking I am getting low difficulty questions, but I concentrated on the exam and didn't spare it much thought. However, the end result showed that I was indeed right to worry. It happened with both the sections, quant and verbal.

Anyway, I suggest that you give all your mocks in the order you are comfortable with. This way, you will be able to stimulate the real-time test and check how you are preforming.

Hope I have answered all your questions!

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G925I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Everyone,

I gave my first attempt at GMAT today in the following order Q>V>IR>AWA and scored 720 (Q49 V39 IR7)
My GMATPrep scores are as below:

GMATPrep 1 - 710 (Q48 V39) (traditional order) Neighbours disturbed me during this test and as a result ended up not answering one question in quant
GMATPrep EP1 Exam 1 - 690 (Q47 V38) (V>Q>IR>AWA)
GMATPrep EP1 Exam 2 - 680 (Q49 V34) (Q>V>IR>AWA)
GMATPrep EP2 Exam 1 - 660 (Q44 V37) (Q>V>IR>AWA) No idea why my score tanked in this one. Maybe because I was burnt-out with over preparation.

Overall I felt that the exam today was more or less similar to the GMATPrep. Even the scores say so.
I am afraid of the AWA score as I was exhausted by then and feel that my essay was not up to the mark.

Hope this information helps.

Cheers!
:-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
srk89 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I gave my first attempt at GMAT today in the following order Q>V>IR>AWA and scored 720 (Q49 V39 IR7)

GMATPrep 1 - 710 (Q48 V39) (traditional order) Neighbours disturbed me during this test and as a result ended up not answering one question in quant
GMATPrep EP2 Exam 1 - 660 (Q44 V37) (Q>V>IR>AWA) No idea why my score tanked in this one. Maybe because I was burnt-out with over preparation.

Overall I felt that the exam today was more or less similar to the GMATPrep. Even the scores say so.
I am afraid of the AWA score as I was exhausted by then and feel that my essay was not up to the mark.

Cheers!

Congratulations on a high score!! :D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
srk89 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Cheers!

As soon as you said 'neighbours disturbed me..' I immediately thought 'Must be from my country :)'.. Then i looked at your profile on the left and yes, you indeed are from India :)
heartiest Congratulations on a good score by the way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
How can I put this new feature to practice? I am not sure if I should stick to the original format or start with Verbal first. If I do start with verbal first on the GMAT exam, I am anxious if that would affect my score negatively because I didn't practice with Verbal first.

Thoughts?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
pra1785 wrote:
How can I put this new feature to practice? I am not sure if I should stick to the original format or start with Verbal first. If I do start with verbal first on the GMAT exam, I am anxious if that would affect my score negatively because I didn't practice with Verbal first.

Thoughts?

Hi pra1785 ,

You should not change the order unless you have practiced the new order atleast 4 to 5 times.

Please note that changing the order at the last moment can actually screw everything. I would suggest BE AWARE. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
srk89 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Hope this information helps.,

Cheers!

Hi,

Does the GMAT prep software give the option to chose order? I am not sure if the software is updated..... how were you able to take gmat prep tests with that order?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
pra1785 wrote:

Thoughts?

Hi pra1785 ,

You should not change the order unless you have practiced the new order atleast 4 to 5 times.

Please note that changing the order at the last moment can actually screw everything. I would suggest BE AWARE. :)

Hi,

Just to understand, how can it mess up everything as long as you know the stuff ? would it really matter?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
pra1785 wrote:
Hi,

Does the GMAT prep software give the option to chose order? I am not sure if the software is updated..... how were you able to take gmat prep tests with that order?

Hi!
Well of course the software is updated.
Open GMATPrep and the "update" option pops up. We can update the software without disturbing the existing test data.
Else, go to mba.com and re-download :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Took the test today 710(Q48,V40,IR8). I am happy that it crossed 700/but was aiming 750. Anyway the order I chose was Q-V-IR-Awa.
The exam felt just like GMAT prep, with some really easy ones freaking me out a bit! And I scored 48 in Quant, which isn't a good score. Thank God for verbal, it just saved me.

Awa shouldn't come back too bad! Fingers crossed.

I shall post a debrief soon.

Thanks GMaTCLUB!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
spc11 wrote:
Took the test today 710(Q48,V40,IR8). I am happy that it crossed 700/but was aiming 750. Anyway the order I chose was Q-V-IR-Awa.
The exam felt just like GMAT prep, with some really easy ones freaking me out a bit! And I scored 48 in Quant, which isn't a good score. Thank God for verbal, it just saved me.

Thanks GMaTCLUB!

So you din't stick to "traditional" order :lol:
Congratulations! 710 is a good score :)
And IR 8! You were frightened of IR (as per your last post). Good one! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AkshayKS21 wrote:
pra1785 wrote:
Hi,

Hi!
Well of course the software is updated.
Open GMATPrep and the "update" option pops up. We can update the software without disturbing the existing test data.
Else, go to mba.com and re-download :)

I did not know that! I did not get the updated option :(
I wasted both my test now without knowing this :cry:

Thanks for updating me though and congrats!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
AkshayKS21 wrote:
spc11 wrote:

Thanks GMaTCLUB!

So you din't stick to "traditional" order
Congratulations! 710 is a good score :)
And IR 8! You were frightened of IR (as per your last post). Good one! :)

Thanks Akshay!!

The order was more of a last.minute change as I was too sleepy and didn't know if I will survive after one hour of Awa and IR! I thought mostly we practice without IR and AWA and jump to quant. So it didn't sound like a big leap, a risk I took which I definitely don't recommend without preconditioning in the practice tests!

IR looked pretty doable, I was myself surprised at the questions and thought there must be a catch...but score says there wasn't!

Thanks again!

Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
BIG GMAT CHANGES: Select Section Order on the GMAT starting July 11 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
So I finally got around to taking the GMAT with the select section order feature--I chose Verbal, Quant, IR, AWA as the order of my sections, and I scored a 750 composite (Q50, V42, IR 8, 6 AWA).

My debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-tutor-debrief-finally-cracked-q50-q50-v42-ir8-750-composite-248190.html#p1916781

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 29 Aug 2017, 20:07.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 17 Sep 2017, 16:18, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
The new changes will likely provide more flexibility to the candidates:)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
kishor1 wrote:
The new changes will likely provide more flexibility to the candidates:)
I wonder whether a year from now we'll see the GMAT introduce the option to take the exam over multiple days!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7