Last visit was: 16 Jun 2024, 10:15 It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 10:15
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [80]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [50]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [9]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [1]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane tha [#permalink]
Kudos
How can I tackle this question? The answer is B but I do not understand why?
If the equation of a line is in the form y = mx + b. How could y = 3 have a slope of 0? Moreover, why can't statement I be the answer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [7]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane tha [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
saiesta wrote:
How can I tackle this question? The answer is B but I do not understand why?
If the equation of a line is in the form y = mx + b. How could y = 3 have a slope of 0? Moreover, why can't statement I be the answer?

Quote:

My two cents:
Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane that has slope 0

(I) x = 2
(II) y = 3
(III) x + y = 0

Consider the equation:
y=mx+c ------------ Equation (1)

Now, given is that slope is 0, so, m=0
If you substitute in Equation (1), you get
y=3
Now, y=3 is a horizontal line on the xy-plane, which has a slope ZERO.
Also,
consider x=2,
x=2 is a vertical line, and slope of a vertical line is undefined,
As the points on a vertical line would have same x-coordinate value.
slope = m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
Option III, you have y=-x, so slope = -1.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Which of the following is the equation of a line in the xy-plane that [#permalink]
Kudos
Which of the following is the equation of a line in the xy-plane that has slope 0?

I. x=2
II. y=3
III. x+y=0

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II
E) II and III

So I'm a little confused. I thought for Statement I and II when the equation of a line is like that it always means the slope is 0.

For Statement I we know that the X coordinate is always 2 so one method is to plug in coordinates for Y and then flind the slope so (2,10) and (2,-3) so we get -3-10/2-2 =-13/0=undefined

Then for statement II same idea. Y is always 3 so we can do (2,3) and (5,3). Slope will equal 0.

Statement III confuses me. I guess I always thought x=3 the slope was 0? Can someone clarify?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Which of the following is the equation of a line in the xy-plane that [#permalink]
Kudos
The equation of a line is y = mx + c, where m is the slope and c is the y intercept.
Slope 0 implies that the line is parallel to the x axis. which means that y intercept should be constant and x intercept 0 i.e the line will never intersect the X axis or is the x axis itself
clearly, y = (m=0) (x = 0) + c
i.e y = c will be the equation of such a line. In this case y = 3.
In general y = n ( where n is -infinity to infinity) is the equation of a line with slope 0.
Hope this is clear.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [6]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: Which of the following is the equation of a line in the xy-plane that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
joannaecohen wrote:
Which of the following is the equation of a line in the xy-plane that has slope 0?

I. x=2
II. y=3
III. x+y=0

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II
E) II and III

So I'm a little confused. I thought for Statement I and II when the equation of a line is like that it always means the slope is 0.

For Statement I we know that the X coordinate is always 2 so one method is to plug in coordinates for Y and then flind the slope so (2,10) and (2,-3) so we get -3-10/2-2 =-13/0=undefined

Then for statement II same idea. Y is always 3 so we can do (2,3) and (5,3). Slope will equal 0.

Statement III confuses me. I guess I always thought x=3 the slope was 0? Can someone clarify?

Points related to slope:

1. If a line is vertical, the slope is not defined, line is parallel to Y-axis and crosses quadrant I and IV, if the X
intersect is positive and quadrant II and III, if the X intersect is negative. Equation of such line is ,
where a is x-intercept.

In our case x = 2. undefined slope.

2. If a line is horizontal it has a slope of 0 , is parallel to X-axis and crosses quadrant I and II if the Y intersect is
positive OR quadrants III and IV, if the Y intersect is negative. Equation of such line is y=b, where b is y intersect.

In our case y = 3. Slope is 0.

3. The general form of the equation is ax+by+c =0 .

In our case y = -x, we have negative slope.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 990
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35 (Online)
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Re: Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane tha [#permalink]
msk0657: Couldn't quite understand the concept in point no:3. General form of the equation is ax+by+c=0.

If y=-x, then substituting the same is the equation y=mx+b, would give -1=m+b, m=-1-b. But then without knowing value of 'b', 'm' cannot be determined. Can you explain.?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
narendran1990 wrote:
msk0657: Couldn't quite understand the concept in point no:3. General form of the equation is ax+by+c=0.

If y=-x, then substituting the same is the equation y=mx+b, would give -1=m+b, m=-1-b. But then without knowing value of 'b', 'm' cannot be determined. Can you explain.?

Hi Narendran,

1. General form.
The general form of the equation of a straight line is ax+by+c = 0.
Where a,b and c are arbitrary constants. This form includes all other forms as special cases. For an equation in this form the slope is -a/b and the y intercept is -c/b.

2. Point-intercept form.
y = mx+b.
Where: m is the slope of the line; b is the y-intercept of the line; x is the independent variable of the function y .

We know the standard equation form is ax+by+c=0 , which you mentioned correctly. We can write like this y = (-a/b)x + (-c/a) , here y intercept is (-c/a) and slope is (-a/b).

We are given only y+x = 0 and let's write this one in the above converted form i.e. => y = (-1)x + 0 , we are not given any b value i.e. y-intercept value and if we compare equation with the standard one then we can see slope is -1 and it is -ve value.

Hope this is clear...Please let me know if this is not clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 990
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35 (Online)
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Kudos