It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [1], given: 146

GMAT ToolKit User
Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

68% (00:18) correct 32% (00:15) wrong based on 373 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane that has slope 0

(I) x = 2
(II) y = 3
(III) x + y = 0

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. II and III only
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 61 [1], given: 146

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 146

GMAT ToolKit User
Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 11:43
How can I tackle this question? The answer is B but I do not understand why?
If the equation of a line is in the form y = mx + b. How could y = 3 have a slope of 0? Moreover, why can't statement I be the answer?

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 146

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 61

Re: Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2016, 06:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
saiesta wrote:
If the equation of a line is in the form y = mx + b. How could y = 3 have a slope of 0? Moreover, why can't statement I be the answer?

Quote:

My two cents:
Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane that has slope 0

(I) x = 2
(II) y = 3
(III) x + y = 0

Consider the equation:
y=mx+c ------------ Equation (1)

Now, given is that slope is 0, so, m=0
If you substitute in Equation (1), you get
y=3
Now, y=3 is a horizontal line on the xy-plane, which has a slope ZERO.
Also,
consider x=2,
x=2 is a vertical line, and slope of a vertical line is undefined,
As the points on a vertical line would have same x-coordinate value.
slope = m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
Option III, you have y=-x, so slope = -1.

Answer: B

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 61

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Re: Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2016, 23:54
the equation of a line is given as (the point slope form)

y=mx+c
where m is the slope

for a line to have slope as 0
m should be equal to 0

so the above equation can be written as y=c

among the answer choices only B satisfies the criteria.

if we draw line in statement one , we will get a line parallel to y axis.
now , slope is also given as tan@ = perpendicular/base ,which in this case is undefined.

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 55

GPA: 3.37
Which of the following is the equation of a line in the xy-plane that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 11:44
Which of the following is the equation of a line in the xy-plane that has slope 0?

I. x=2
II. y=3
III. x+y=0

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II
E) II and III

So I'm a little confused. I thought for Statement I and II when the equation of a line is like that it always means the slope is 0.

For Statement I we know that the X coordinate is always 2 so one method is to plug in coordinates for Y and then flind the slope so (2,10) and (2,-3) so we get -3-10/2-2 =-13/0=undefined

Then for statement II same idea. Y is always 3 so we can do (2,3) and (5,3). Slope will equal 0.

Statement III confuses me. I guess I always thought x=3 the slope was 0? Can someone clarify?

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 55

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Which of the following is the equation of a line in the xy-plane that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 11:56
The equation of a line is y = mx + c, where m is the slope and c is the y intercept.
Slope 0 implies that the line is parallel to the x axis. which means that y intercept should be constant and x intercept 0 i.e the line will never intersect the X axis or is the x axis itself
clearly, y = (m=0) (x = 0) + c
i.e y = c will be the equation of such a line. In this case y = 3.
In general y = n ( where n is -infinity to infinity) is the equation of a line with slope 0.
Hope this is clear.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 175 [1], given: 45

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Which of the following is the equation of a line in the xy-plane that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
joannaecohen wrote:
Which of the following is the equation of a line in the xy-plane that has slope 0?

I. x=2
II. y=3
III. x+y=0

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II
E) II and III

So I'm a little confused. I thought for Statement I and II when the equation of a line is like that it always means the slope is 0.

For Statement I we know that the X coordinate is always 2 so one method is to plug in coordinates for Y and then flind the slope so (2,10) and (2,-3) so we get -3-10/2-2 =-13/0=undefined

Then for statement II same idea. Y is always 3 so we can do (2,3) and (5,3). Slope will equal 0.

Statement III confuses me. I guess I always thought x=3 the slope was 0? Can someone clarify?

Points related to slope:

1. If a line is vertical, the slope is not defined, line is parallel to Y-axis and crosses quadrant I and IV, if the X
intersect is positive and quadrant II and III, if the X intersect is negative. Equation of such line is ,
where a is x-intercept.

In our case x = 2. undefined slope.

2. If a line is horizontal it has a slope of 0 , is parallel to X-axis and crosses quadrant I and II if the Y intersect is
positive OR quadrants III and IV, if the Y intersect is negative. Equation of such line is y=b, where b is y intersect.

In our case y = 3. Slope is 0.

3. The general form of the equation is ax+by+c =0 .

In our case y = -x, we have negative slope.

Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 175 [1], given: 45

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 357

GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
GRE 1: 310 Q159 V151
GRE 2: 312 Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 23:53
msk0657: Couldn't quite understand the concept in point no:3. General form of the equation is ax+by+c=0.

If y=-x, then substituting the same is the equation y=mx+b, would give -1=m+b, m=-1-b. But then without knowing value of 'b', 'm' cannot be determined. Can you explain.?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 357

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 45

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2016, 02:38
narendran1990 wrote:
msk0657: Couldn't quite understand the concept in point no:3. General form of the equation is ax+by+c=0.

If y=-x, then substituting the same is the equation y=mx+b, would give -1=m+b, m=-1-b. But then without knowing value of 'b', 'm' cannot be determined. Can you explain.?

Hi Narendran,

1. General form.
The general form of the equation of a straight line is ax+by+c = 0.
Where a,b and c are arbitrary constants. This form includes all other forms as special cases. For an equation in this form the slope is -a/b and the y intercept is -c/b.

2. Point-intercept form.
y = mx+b.
Where: m is the slope of the line; b is the y-intercept of the line; x is the independent variable of the function y .

We know the standard equation form is ax+by+c=0 , which you mentioned correctly. We can write like this y = (-a/b)x + (-c/a) , here y intercept is (-c/a) and slope is (-a/b).

We are given only y+x = 0 and let's write this one in the above converted form i.e. => y = (-1)x + 0 , we are not given any b value i.e. y-intercept value and if we compare equation with the standard one then we can see slope is -1 and it is -ve value.

Hope this is clear...Please let me know if this is not clear.

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 45

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 357

GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
GRE 1: 310 Q159 V151
GRE 2: 312 Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 21:47
This post received
KUDOS
msk0657: Totally understood your explanation. Thank you!

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 357

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 145

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 22:09
This post received
KUDOS
saiesta wrote:

(I) x = 2
(II) y = 3
(III) x + y = 0

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. II and III only

15 Second approach if you know how to visualize the lines spatially (Ron purewal method)

Basically anything parallel to Y axis has a slope undefined, parallel to X axis has slope 0, 45 Degrees has slope 1 in first quadrant, and 45 Degrees has slope -1 in second quadrant. 1st and second equations are directly deductible from the image, whereas the third is actually y = -x
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer B

+1 Kudos if it helps!

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 145

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 00:12
mevicks wrote:
saiesta wrote:

(I) x = 2
(II) y = 3
(III) x + y = 0

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. II and III only

15 Second approach if you know how to visualize the lines spatially (Ron purewal method)

Basically anything parallel to Y axis has a slope undefined, parallel to X axis has slope 0, 45 Degrees has slope 1 in first quadrant, and 45 Degrees has slope -1 in second quadrant. 1st and second equations are directly deductible from the image, whereas the third is actually y = -x
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer B

+1 Kudos if it helps!

Can you pls explain the slopes in the 2nd quadrant and how they are derived?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 64

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 04:40
yosita18 wrote:
saiesta wrote:

Quote:

My two cents:

(I) x = 2
(II) y = 3
(III) x + y = 0

Consider the equation:
y=mx+c ------------ Equation (1)

Now, given is that slope is 0, so, m=0
If you substitute in Equation (1), you get
y=3

Now, y=3 is a horizontal line on the xy-plane, which has a slope ZERO.
Also,
consider x=2,
x=2 is a vertical line, and slope of a vertical line is undefined,
As the points on a vertical line would have same x-coordinate value.
slope = m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
Option III, you have y=-x, so slope = -1.

Answer: B

Hi, I don't get the sentence marked in red above. How does substituting m=0 give y=3? It should give y=C. What am I missing here?

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 64

Re: Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane tha   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2017, 04:40

Which of the following is the equation of the line in the xy-plane tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap