Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:30 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Weird glitch while taking the GMAT [#permalink]
I do have a valid reason, but I don't want to risk getting the score cancelled or rescored and end up sacrificing my score. I've put a lot of effort into this. Since there's nothing in it for me, should I even risk it?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Hi
Same issue happened with me a few days back. I was supposed to answer the question based on the highlighted text but there wasn't anything highlighted in the passage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
figureofwrit wrote:
Hi all, I took my GMAT last week and scored a 750. However, there was a glitch in the verbal section wherein there was an RC question about "highlighted text", but there was no text highlighted. I informed the proctor about this, and they told me to note the question number. But I forgot about it towards the end of the test, and left the center without reporting the issue.

I had to guess this question and move on, and I'm sure it would have had an impact on my score. Should I report this to the GMAC? I don't want my score to get cancelled or anything, because I'm happy with it.

Hi, I also noticed this problem in my recent GMAT Attempt. I thought that i will inform to proctor but forgot to inform him.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
Send PM
Hi there,
Same glitch occured during my GMAT on 9th oct 2017, I called the proctor at the very same moment and brought the issue to her notice.
She asked me to continue with the exam, and confirmed me that she will look into this matter after the exam.
So i continued my exam and at the end of the exam raised a complaint at the center itself with her help, and noted the complaint number.
Although I haven’t recieved any feedback/resolution yet, but i hope that it would come soon, as i was a bit confused after this glitch during the exam, i almost started double checking all the questions and answers, ended up wasting time, losing temper and performing poor on the exam. This literally affected my performance.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63698 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Whoa, that's a pretty ugly error on GMAT's part. Not classy.

In bb's link to a similar discussion above, he included everything you need to challenge a question, but here's the link to the GMAT's policy on challenging questions: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-blog-hu ... score.aspx

And here's the text from that link (sorry, I can't figure out how to make it smaller!):

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.38.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.38.25 PM.png [ 268.81 KiB | Viewed 6033 times ]

figureofwrit, you're probably wise to just let it go, in case something weird happens during your challenge of the question. (It's unlikely, but I suppose that it's possible that you made a lucky guess, and if the question is invalidated, then maybe it'll drop your score slightly.) And more importantly: congratulations on the 750!!! :)

But for anybody who isn't thrilled with their verbal score, it might be worthwhile to go through the paperwork of challenging the question.

If any of you challenge the question, let us know how it goes!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
figureofwrit wrote:
Hi all, I took my GMAT last week and scored a 750. However, there was a glitch in the verbal section wherein there was an RC question about "highlighted text", but there was no text highlighted. I informed the proctor about this, and they told me to note the question number. But I forgot about it towards the end of the test, and left the center without reporting the issue.

I had to guess this question and move on, and I'm sure it would have had an impact on my score. Should I report this to the GMAC? I don't want my score to get cancelled or anything, because I'm happy with it.

Congratulations on your score!
Where did you take the exam? I had the same issue in London last week - ended up scoring 40 on the verbal which is way below my usual performance. Retaking it in a couple of weeks. I reported the issue and was given an "incident reference number". Still need to follow up on it - I was told several other people had reported it that day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Congrats on the great score. I guess it depends on how you think you can best use your time. If you're trying to wrap up applications, I'd let it ride. However, if you think you can score higher it might be worth contesting?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Weird glitch while taking the GMAT [#permalink]
Nice to see this post, I appeared for the exam on October 11 and encountered the same problem. I looked for the highlighted text for 30 seconds and when I didn't find the highlighted text, I guessed on the question and moved on, thinking some software issue. I scored 38 in verbal. Not sure if we report the issue how it will help us, however it can help other test takers.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by gannuswami on 12 Oct 2017, 15:47.
Last edited by gannuswami on 13 Oct 2017, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
This also happened to me on October 10th. I took the verbal section first and told the proctor about the question during the first break. He said he would file a report... I am disappointed as I scored lower on verbal than I scored on my practice tests. This really threw me off my mental game during the verbal section...I didn’t know if I should stop and tell the proctor during the test or just guess and go forward... I did the later but kept thinking how I gave up a typically easy question...

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I faced the same issue in my GMAT on Oct 5th. I got a 720 with below average verbal performance than usual. I didn’t raise it during the test, but I did raise a customer case on GMAT site and I am told that the program team will look at the issue and get back. It is a bit distracting to see such a question during the test. I thought this issue was limited to just my case, but it is worrying to see this issue happening across the globe.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
Send PM
figureofwrit Congrats for the 750 score! If I were you, If you report the question to the GMAC, it will most probably invalidate the question not affecting your awesome score. However, if I were in your spot I would not report the issue as this is a great score and it is just not worth the time going through the paper work. You rather spend that same time and effort on an application. And if you absolutely have to report the issue, then do so after you have submitted your GMAT score and apps to your dream schools. No harm done once you have submitted your score and it has been verified by the respective schools. Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Weird glitch while taking the GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi All,

I have also faced the same ugly issue I gave exam on 9th Oct 2017 I will request to all the candidates who have faced this issue to raise their complaints on this "GMAT mail ID -customercare@mba.com".
Once many candidates will raise their complaints GMAT administration will be forced to correct its mistake.
Please inform GMAT and hope for the best we have faced this issue but our timely voice can save other prospecting candidates from this issue.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63698 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just a friendly note to stay on your toes, friends: apparently, that very same glitch just appeared in some tests earlier this week.

If you've already seen it, please file a complaint! If you're taking the test and you run into this issue, just guess and move on as quickly as you can, and don't waste any time on it, since there's absolutely nothing you can do about it while you're in the testing room.

I'm disappointed that the issue is still there nearly TWO MONTHS after the first reports of it, but... well, if you see it, please don't let it throw you off.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts