Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 02:31 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 02:31
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Level,    Grammatical/Rhetorical Construction,                            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65684 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31023 [0]
Given Kudos: 640
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sevenplusplus wrote:

Hi Shraddha
I felt that this usage of "that" with "there was" was awkward and therefore did not pick option D. I thought that only FANBOYS can connect two clauses.
Would you be able to share some examples, other OG questions where "that" is used to connect two clauses?

Thanks in advance.

Hello sevenplusplus,

Thank you for the query. :-)

Usage of the subordination conjunction that to connect two clauses is very common across the GMAT SC.

Following are just a few examples:

OG 16#9: In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s, two Swiss psychologists declared that since most of the studies had failed to control for variables such as social class and family size, none could be taken seriously.

OG 16#10 : A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more coffee these doctors drank, the greater was their likelihood of having coronary disease.

OG 16#32: The widely accepted big bang theory holds that the universe began in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago and has been expanding ever since.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31023 [0]
Given Kudos: 640
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sevenplusplus wrote:
In D, is usage of “that” to introduce a clause is using it as “subordinating conjunction”?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hello sevenplusplus,

I will be glad to respond to this one. :-)

Yes indeed. That's exactly the function of that in Choice D.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1255 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma sayantanc2k

Is there any better way to reach OA here than to know idioms?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65684 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma sayantanc2k

Is there any better way to reach OA here than to know idioms?

Don't think of it as "knowing or not knowing idioms". It is about the meaning of the words "as" and "by".
"as" equates for example "as happy as", "as good as"...
"by" indicates an agency of getting something done... So you can "explain by ..."

I would understand if the idiom tested were say, "to and fro" vs say, "to and back". We use "to and fro" though fro means back. Nowadays, pure idiom testing is usually a smokescreen in GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
daagh

egmat

VeritasPrepKarishma

anairamitch1804

sayantanc2k

Why do we eliminate options B and E, as per my understanding we eliminate A and C because of "explained as" because "AS" equates things.

Quote:
"The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.
(A)  The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as
(B)  Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is
(C)  That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as
(D)  One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was
(E)  Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being "
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5442 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HimanshuWadhwa wrote:
Why do we eliminate options B and E, as per my understanding we eliminate A and C because of "explained as" because "AS" equates things.

Hey HimanshuWadhwa ,

I am happy to help :)

You need to understand the construction of the sentences and make sure that sentences are well structured.

Now, let's talk about B and E.

Quote:
(B)  Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is

The blue highlighted line doesn't have a verb in it. So, it is no where a clause. Now, that means it is a phrase and is acting as a modifier.

Modifier + Comma rule says that the modifier MUST refer to the subject of the main clause after the comma.

Here the Subject is "One explanation". That means we are trying to say One explanation was a Thule artifacts being .. blah blah...

Hence, B is incorrect.

Quote:
(E)  Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being "

The usage of with is incorrect here. I think you should read this article: When to use with on GMAT.

Having said that "with one explanation" here means we are saying they are similar as well as they are with something else. This is wrong.

Does that make sense?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42131 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
GK

(D) One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was

GK
Yes, it is used as a placeholder.

It is not a pronoun that can replace the noun vast regions since if you replace the word with 'vast region', you will see that the clause doesn't make any sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I rejected options with "one explanation" because the original sentence intends to say that 'a part of the reason is ...'. "One explanation" would mean that there are multiple potential explanations and one of them is.... Thoughts?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35628 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
blockman wrote:
The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.

(A) The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as

(B) Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is

(C) That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as

(D) One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was

(E) Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being

bharatmatta wrote:
I rejected options with "one explanation" because the original sentence intends to say that 'a part of the reason is ...'. "One explanation" would mean that there are multiple potential explanations and one of them is.... Thoughts?

Hi bharatmatta , option A does not determine the original or intended meaning of the sentence.

The answer that is grammatically correct, logically sound, and rhetorically effective contains the intended meaning.

Option A incorrectly equates a characteristic of an artifact with the geographical and historical movement of people through real space.
An characteristic, similarity, is not the same as an event, the movement of people through space and time.

Answer D is grammatically and logically correct. Its meaning is the intended one.

That said, I started thinking about your distinction.
If I buy the premise that AN explanation is composed of internally consistent parts, then I agree:
"one explanation" [composed of internally consistent parts] does suggest multiple and inconsistent explanations, plural.
I also concede that if I buy your premise about what "explanation" means, a partial explanation and one explanation are not the same thing.

I am trying to remember an official question that tests with this much sophistication. I cannot remember one.

Now it is time for me to exit the Hall of Mirrors within whose walls stands the Tower of Babel populated by postmodern obscurantists.
(My head is spinning with what philosophers, linguists, scientists, scholars of English, and others would do with this distinction of yours.) :-D

I hope that answer helps. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Kudos
1. usage of being in option B and option E , usage of be in opition A,
can any experts clear me the usage of words be and being in the context of above options especially in option E..
thanks in advance,

actually presence of these words takes few seconds more for me to analyse

2. as per abhimahna post on the usage of with i read those article also,
it states only two usages with can be used one to quote the result and other to state the subcomponent noun, as per that in option e usage is wrong,.. but i am not convinced, is the usage of with in option e wrong? if so kindly enlighten me on this.

3. verb ed or verb ing modifiers are adjective modifiers, similarly is usage of explainable in option C justified as adjective modifier? , whether we can use modifiers like that?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42131 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.

(A) The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as

(B) Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is

(C) That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as

(E) Throughout a vast region, Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being

Quote:
bharatmatta wrote:
I rejected options with "one explanation" because the original sentence intends to say that 'a part of the reason is ...'. "One explanation" would mean that there are multiple potential explanations and one of them is... Thoughts?

Whether that is one reason or a part reason or the only reason or one among the many reasons is not an issue here. It is more plausible that it is one among many other reasons. However, before one goes into such hair-splits and rejects those choices, it is necessary to see whether there are any other spontaneously visible errors in the choices.

Take for example,

B and E suffer from 'being' used as a modifier.
In the case of C, The sentence is an outright fragment. In addition, the idiom 'explainable as' is the spoilsport. "explainable by " the correct idiom in the context.
In the case of A, the idiom 'explained as' is wrong. --- "explained by " is the correct idiom.

Can we see why D is the only correct choice? IMHO, this is a sub-600 level question with hardly any compelling need for a discussion

The Take-Away: Grammar First and Then the Rest
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 174 [0]
Given Kudos: 320
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question, since it appears that the original posting had to be updated at some point to fix typos. We'll look at each option and narrow it down to the right answer. To get started, here is the question with any major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

(E) Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being

This is INCORRECT because the first clause "Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar" is missing a comma after the word region.

There you have it - option D is the correct answer! This was a difficult question, for sure!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal
I was looking at 'with' modifier and I stumbled upon this qn.

Let's say we do add a comma - after dependent clause - throughout a vast region and consider this as a stand alone statement (not in context with other options)....Is the usage of 'with' correct? I also change latter part of the sentence to ignore any concerns with being. Is the use of 'With' good here to explain how they were remarkably similar.

Throughout a vast region, Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation that there was a rapid movement..

Official explanation for using 'with' is below
E This version is awkward, introducing the causal connection with the unnecessarily wordy and indirect string of prepositional phrases, with one explanation for this. . . .
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14711 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Expert Reply
snoep wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question, since it appears that the original posting had to be updated at some point to fix typos. We'll look at each option and narrow it down to the right answer. To get started, here is the question with any major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

This is INCORRECT because the first clause "Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar" is missing a comma after the word region.

There you have it - option D is the correct answer! This was a difficult question, for sure!

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal
I was looking at 'with' modifier and I stumbled upon this qn.

Let's say we do add a comma - after dependent clause - throughout a vast region and consider this as a stand alone statement (not in context with other options)....Is the usage of 'with' correct? I also change latter part of the sentence to ignore any concerns with being. Is the use of 'With' good here to explain how they were remarkably similar.

Throughout a vast region, Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation that there was a rapid movement..

Official explanation for using 'with' is below
E This version is awkward, introducing the causal connection with the unnecessarily wordy and indirect string of prepositional phrases, with one explanation for this. . . .

Hello snoep!

Great question! Yes, if we added in that comma I said was missing, the sentence would be technically grammatically correct. However, it is also incredibly awkward and overly wordy. Option D is far less wordy and confusing in its structure, so between the two D would still win out in the end.

I hope that helps! This was a difficult question for sure! Make sure to keep tagging me at EMPOWERgmatVerbal with your questions, and I'll be glad to help!
UNC Kenan Flagler Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Right away, if we just read the orange parts in each option, we start to see some problems:

This answer is INCORRECT because it's saying that the similarity of Thule artifacts IS a rapid movement of people from one end of North American to another, which doesn't really make logical sense. It should say that the similarity is CAUSED BY a rapid movement of people. It's also not clear that this is only ONE explanation of many - it just says that this partly explains the similarity of artifacts.

This is INCORRECT because it's unclear what the subject of the sentence is. The phrase "Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region" needs a verb directly after it to work because it is acting like a subject here. "One explanation" is also acting as the subject. We can't have two subjects that are just stacked on top of each other like this, with nothing connecting them.

This is INCORRECT for the same reason as option A. If you read carefully, it says that the phenomenon of similar artifacts IS the movement of people, not that it was CAUSED BY a sudden movement of people. This doesn't make logical sense, so let's toss this option aside.

This is CORRECT because it conveys the proper meaning (the movement of people is one explanation for finding similar artifacts in several places), and this is absolutely clear to readers. This isn't to say this option is perfectly grammatically correct - many of you took issue with the phrase "is that there was" being overly wordy. However, this is the best answer because it conveys its meaning the clearest - even if you could argue that you could cut a few words out.

EMPOWERgmatVerbal - I am unable to understand the explanation for option A.

How did you derive this part? I ask this because the original sentence mentions that the similarity can be explained and not that the similarity is
Quote:
This answer is INCORRECT because it's saying that the similarity of Thule artifacts IS a rapid movement of people from one end of North American to another, which doesn't really make logical sense
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14711 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pritishd wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Right away, if we just read the orange parts in each option, we start to see some problems:

This answer is INCORRECT because it's saying that the similarity of Thule artifacts IS a rapid movement of people from one end of North American to another, which doesn't really make logical sense. It should say that the similarity is CAUSED BY a rapid movement of people. It's also not clear that this is only ONE explanation of many - it just says that this partly explains the similarity of artifacts.

This is INCORRECT because it's unclear what the subject of the sentence is. The phrase "Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region" needs a verb directly after it to work because it is acting like a subject here. "One explanation" is also acting as the subject. We can't have two subjects that are just stacked on top of each other like this, with nothing connecting them.

This is INCORRECT for the same reason as option A. If you read carefully, it says that the phenomenon of similar artifacts IS the movement of people, not that it was CAUSED BY a sudden movement of people. This doesn't make logical sense, so let's toss this option aside.

This is CORRECT because it conveys the proper meaning (the movement of people is one explanation for finding similar artifacts in several places), and this is absolutely clear to readers. This isn't to say this option is perfectly grammatically correct - many of you took issue with the phrase "is that there was" being overly wordy. However, this is the best answer because it conveys its meaning the clearest - even if you could argue that you could cut a few words out.

EMPOWERgmatVerbal - I am unable to understand the explanation for option A.

How did you derive this part? I ask this because the original sentence mentions that the similarity can be explained and not that the similarity is
Quote:
This answer is INCORRECT because it's saying that the similarity of Thule artifacts IS a rapid movement of people from one end of North American to another, which doesn't really make logical sense

Thanks for your question Pritishd!

Saying the phrase "can be explained as" means the same thing as saying "is." If we were to replace the phrase "can be explained as" with "is," the sentence sounds illogical, so we can rule this option out.

We hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]
Hello experts,

I think the meaning changes when we say-in parts and one explanation.
It changes from- the reason is partially responsible- to- one of the explanation out of many or some explanations-

1. Right? Or their meaning is different from mine?

Hence I thought D is changing the meaning.
I was keeping original choice’s meaning as the right meaning.

2. Also, when as is used as a reason, doesn’t it require a clause?
The only clause after as is in choice D.

3. What’s wrong with choice B exactly?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dcoolguy wrote:
Hello experts,

I think the meaning changes when we say-in parts and one explanation.
It changes from- the reason is partially responsible- to- one of the explanation out of many or some explanations-

1. Right? Or their meaning is different from mine?

Hence I thought D is changing the meaning.
I was keeping original choice’s meaning as the right meaning.

2. Also, when as is used as a reason, doesn’t it require a clause?
The only clause after as is in choice D.

3. What’s wrong with choice B exactly?

1). I think "one explanation for X is..." and "X can be explained, in part, by..." to have essentially the same meaning. They both show that there are other things to consider for the 'effect,' but ONE of the causes of X is 'this thing.'

Note that 'meaning' isn't pulled from the 'original' sentence. Meaning is derived from the totality of the question.

2). 'as' sometimes requires a clause, if it's used as a conjunction. 'As' can also be a preposition to describe the 'role' of a noun. "I dressed as a pirate for the school play." "I worked as a waiter in college."

3). B has big structural issues. What is the first chunk of words (Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region) *doing?* It's just a floating noun-phrase ('Thule artifacts' and then a long modifier). It's not a subject, as there's no verb. It's not a modifier, because what is it modifying The explanation? The explanation is not a Thule artifact.

It's like B is *trying* to be a clause: "Thule artifacts ARE remarkably similar throughout a vast reason," but it isn't actually a clause.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts