GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 14:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 00:47
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma sayantanc2k

Is there any better way to reach OA here than to know idioms?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 05:36
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma sayantanc2k

Is there any better way to reach OA here than to know idioms?

Don't think of it as "knowing or not knowing idioms". It is about the meaning of the words "as" and "by".
"as" equates for example "as happy as", "as good as"...
"by" indicates an agency of getting something done... So you can "explain by ..."

I would understand if the idiom tested were say, "to and fro" vs say, "to and back". We use "to and fro" though fro means back. Nowadays, pure idiom testing is usually a smokescreen in GMAT.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 09:59
daagh

egmat

VeritasPrepKarishma

anairamitch1804

sayantanc2k

Why do we eliminate options B and E, as per my understanding we eliminate A and C because of "explained as" because "AS" equates things.

Quote:
"The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.
(A)  The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as
(B)  Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is
(C)  That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as
(D)  One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was
(E)  Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being "
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 10:58
HimanshuWadhwa wrote:
Why do we eliminate options B and E, as per my understanding we eliminate A and C because of "explained as" because "AS" equates things.

Hey HimanshuWadhwa ,

I am happy to help :)

You need to understand the construction of the sentences and make sure that sentences are well structured.

Now, let's talk about B and E.

Quote:
(B)  Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is

The blue highlighted line doesn't have a verb in it. So, it is no where a clause. Now, that means it is a phrase and is acting as a modifier.

Modifier + Comma rule says that the modifier MUST refer to the subject of the main clause after the comma.

Here the Subject is "One explanation". That means we are trying to say One explanation was a Thule artifacts being .. blah blah...

Hence, B is incorrect.

Quote:
(E)  Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being "

The usage of with is incorrect here. I think you should read this article: When to use with on GMAT.

Having said that "with one explanation" here means we are saying they are similar as well as they are with something else. This is wrong.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 12:01
abhimahna
Thank you buddy...
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 16:45
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question, since it appears that the original posting had to be updated at some point to fix typos. We'll look at each option and narrow it down to the right answer. To get started, here is the question with any major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.

(A) The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as
(B) Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is
(C) That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as
(D) One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was
(E) Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being

Right away, if we just read the orange parts in each option, we start to see some problems:

(A) The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as

This answer is INCORRECT because it's saying that the similarity of Thule artifacts IS a rapid movement of people from one end of North American to another, which doesn't really make logical sense. It should say that the similarity is CAUSED BY a rapid movement of people. It's also not clear that this is only ONE explanation of many - it just says that this partly explains the similarity of artifacts.

(B) Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is

This is INCORRECT because it's unclear what the subject of the sentence is. The phrase "Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region" needs a verb directly after it to work because it is acting like a subject here. "One explanation" is also acting as the subject. We can't have two subjects that are just stacked on top of each other like this, with nothing connecting them.

(C) That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as

This is INCORRECT for the same reason as option A. If you read carefully, it says that the phenomenon of similar artifacts IS the movement of people, not that it was CAUSED BY a sudden movement of people. This doesn't make logical sense, so let's toss this option aside.

(D) One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was

This is CORRECT because it conveys the proper meaning (the movement of people is one explanation for finding similar artifacts in several places), and this is absolutely clear to readers. This isn't to say this option is perfectly grammatically correct - many of you took issue with the phrase "is that there was" being overly wordy. However, this is the best answer because it conveys its meaning the clearest - even if you could argue that you could cut a few words out.

(E) Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being

This is INCORRECT because the first clause "Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar" is missing a comma after the word region.

There you have it - option D is the correct answer!This was a difficult question, for sure!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 540 Q42 V22
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 19:48
GMATNinja , I selected option A over D and after explanation I understand what is wrong with Option A now. One question still in my mind is use of 'can' in option A and 'is' is in option D. Option A 'can' represent one possibility whereas Option D'is' firms that this is the reason. Am I making sense ?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region &nbs [#permalink] 11 Oct 2018, 19:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap