It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 15:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7676

Kudos [?]: 17369 [0], given: 232

Location: Pune, India
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 01:28
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
blockman wrote:
The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can,in part,be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.

A. The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as
B. Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is
C. That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as
D. One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was
E. Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA: D
Can someone please explain what is wrong with E


Sorry: fixed answer choices, should be "remarkably" in B,C,E


Responding to a pm:

When you explain A as B, you are equating the two.

Here are a couple of real world examples of the usage:

The racial bias observed is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates.
How cluster headache is explained as an intracavernous inflammatory process lesioning sympathetic fibers... (Heading)

When you want to give the cause of a certain phenomenon, you use "explain by"

Tomasetti and Vogelstein conclude that these differences can be explained by the number of stem cell divisions.

In options (A) and (C), the similarity of objects is because of the rapid movement of people. So "explained as" is not correct.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17369 [0], given: 232

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Posts: 79

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 46

GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 20:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
Yes! Absolutely!

"Explained by" is the correct way to express a reason/cause for something.

"Explained as" is used when you are equating two things.

Example - John's results can be explained by analyzing his strategy.

The incorrect version - John's results can be explained as analyzing his strategy. You'll notice that this structure does not lend the meaning nicely.

Tip - Simplify the sentence and look at the structure. It helps in zeroing in on the correct choice.

Hope this helps!

Best,
SS18


282552 wrote:
Had option A used "Explained By", then would it be correct

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 46

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 67

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 243

GMAT Date: 11-01-2012
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 07:43
daagh wrote:
A. The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as --- ‘explained as’ is wrong in the context it should be ‘explained by’

B. Thule artifacts being remarkable similar throughout a vast region (no verb), one explanation is—‘being remarkable’ used as modifier is not acceptable

C. That Thule artifacts are remarkable similar throughout a vast region, in part, explainable as – a fragment

D. One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts through a vast region is that there was – the best choice
E. Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkable similar, with one explanation for this being –
Remarkable similar – two adjectives in sequence is weird, it should be ‘remarkably similar’



Dear daagh .. some options just hinges on idioms (In A) ...can you point towards some good sources for learning idioms which arent too many but enough for the GMAT..i get stumped with explained by / explained as ...if explained by would be in an answer choice its still easier... I eliminated D thinking there was is Wordy "Use of there is generally not preferred on GMAT in most questions as a more crisp answer exists...

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 243

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 67

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 243

GMAT Date: 11-01-2012
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 07:46
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
blockman wrote:
The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can,in part,be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.

A. The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as
B. Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is
C. That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as
D. One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was
E. Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA: D
Can someone please explain what is wrong with E


Sorry: fixed answer choices, should be "remarkably" in B,C,E


Responding to a pm:

When you explain A as B, you are equating the two.

Here are a couple of real world examples of the usage:

The racial bias observed is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates.
How cluster headache is explained as an intracavernous inflammatory process lesioning sympathetic fibers... (Heading)

When you want to give the cause of a certain phenomenon, you use "explain by"

Tomasetti and Vogelstein conclude that these differences can be explained by the number of stem cell divisions.

In options (A) and (C), the similarity of objects is because of the rapid movement of people. So "explained as" is not correct.


Karishma thanks for the thoughts ... what are the best places to revise Idioms will be ??

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 243

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2525

Kudos [?]: 797 [1], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 08:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
deependra1234 wrote:
Karishma thanks for the thoughts ... what are the best places to revise Idioms will be ??


Hey,

This post may help you.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-idioms- ... 80342.html

Thanks
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 797 [1], given: 64

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 122

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 205

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 05:38
OG: Instead of equating similarity with movement, the sentence needs to identify this movement of people as a cause of similarity among artifacts.

The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can,in part,be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.
similarity != movement

Example given by daagh:
The Tajmahal is explained as a monument of love and caring of a husband for his wife.
The Tajmahal = a monument of love

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 205

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7676

Kudos [?]: 17369 [0], given: 232

Location: Pune, India
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 08:27
deependra1234 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
blockman wrote:
The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can,in part,be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.

A. The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as
B. Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is
C. That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as
D. One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was
E. Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA: D
Can someone please explain what is wrong with E


Sorry: fixed answer choices, should be "remarkably" in B,C,E


Responding to a pm:

When you explain A as B, you are equating the two.

Here are a couple of real world examples of the usage:

The racial bias observed is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates.
How cluster headache is explained as an intracavernous inflammatory process lesioning sympathetic fibers... (Heading)

When you want to give the cause of a certain phenomenon, you use "explain by"

Tomasetti and Vogelstein conclude that these differences can be explained by the number of stem cell divisions.

In options (A) and (C), the similarity of objects is because of the rapid movement of people. So "explained as" is not correct.


Karishma thanks for the thoughts ... what are the best places to revise Idioms will be ??



Here are some thoughts on learning idioms:

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/0 ... rom-rumor/
https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/0 ... score-700/
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17369 [0], given: 232

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 67

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 243

GMAT Date: 11-01-2012
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 08:58
deependra1234 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
blockman wrote:
The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can,in part,be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.

A. The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as
B. Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is
C. That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as
D. One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was
E. Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA: D
Can someone please explain what is wrong with E


Sorry: fixed answer choices, should be "remarkably" in B,C,E


Responding to a pm:

When you explain A as B, you are equating the two.

Here are a couple of real world examples of the usage:

The racial bias observed is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates.
How cluster headache is explained as an intracavernous inflammatory process lesioning sympathetic fibers... (Heading)

When you want to give the cause of a certain phenomenon, you use "explain by"

Tomasetti and Vogelstein conclude that these differences can be explained by the number of stem cell divisions.

In options (A) and (C), the similarity of objects is because of the rapid movement of people. So "explained as" is not correct.


Karishma thanks for the thoughts ... what are the best places to revise Idioms will be ??


Here are some thoughts on learning idioms:

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/0 ... rom-rumor/
https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/0 ... score-700/


hahah ammm thanks for the links Karishma .... Well too early for a wine in US i guess ..hence must be your subtle wit or your son keeping you busy hence the wrong links :P ..... but if at all i have to decipher... I guess Idioms are though not going away there must be other ways to solve a question and some obsolete idiom will not make or break a question... btw I follow most of your posts and Blog writings and hugely appreciate your work mam... Hence would request you to answer a question i posted on the forum regarding my way forward strategy :wink: .. would request you to pl have a look if you can mam...
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-how-to- ... 38763.html

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 243

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 394

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 02:31
The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can,in part,be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.

A. The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as
--> "explained as" is wrong; instead, it should be "explained by".

B. Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is
--> "explanation" is for a phenomenon (here is "remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts"), not for "Thule artifacts"!!!

C. That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as
--> "explained as" is wrong; instead, it should be "explained by".

D. One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was
--> clearly and structurally good --> correct.

E. Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being
--> wordy and awkward.
_________________

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 May 2017
Posts: 73

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 03:21
The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.

(A) The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as - "explained as" cannot be used.. we need "explained by" here
(B) Thule artifacts being remarkably similar throughout a vast region, one explanation is - "being" modifies "artifacts" incorrectly + ", one explanation as" is not connected to the previous clause
(C) That Thule artifacts are remarkably similar throughout a vast region is, in part, explainable as - "explained as" cannot be used.. we need "explained by" here
(D) One explanation for the remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region is that there was - CORRECT
(E) Throughout a vast region Thule artifacts are remarkably similar, with one explanation for this being - ", with one explanation for this being" is of course incorrect
_________________

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jul 2017
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 10:29
Question: "similarity of Thule artifacts from Alaska to Greenland" isn't this incorrectly comparing artifacts from Alaska to the country Greenland?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2525

Kudos [?]: 797 [0], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 10:38
daftypatty wrote:
Question: "similarity of Thule artifacts from Alaska to Greenland" isn't this incorrectly comparing artifacts from Alaska to the country Greenland?


Hi daftypatty ,

You have slightly misunderstood the meaning.

It is saying artifacts from one region to another. It is not comparing artifacts of one region with the artifacts of another region.

Does that make sense?
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 797 [0], given: 64

Re: The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2017, 10:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.