Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 471 [452]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 739 [4]
Given Kudos: 246
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [2]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
Re: Usage of With In GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]
Kudos
gccracker wrote:
Hello Everyone,

During my preparation for the GMAT , I found it difficult to remember the different forms of usage of "with" as is used in many official SC questions .

So I have compiled a small document that helped me a lot to understand the usage of "with".

Sharing it here for mutual benefit.

Usages of With

1) “With” is used to give the result of the action in preceding clause.
For Eg:
i) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes

Here “with” is used to give the result of the action in preceding clause === The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted.

So we can see that “Comma + With” acts as an adverbial Modifier

ii) Environmental groups have filed a mass of lawsuits against the government’s inaction, with the result that the Supreme Court plays a larger role in environmental protection than its equivalent does in any other big country - an odd way to set policy.

Here also “comma + with” is used to give the result of preceding action

2) With + noun

“With” is used when the noun after “with” attaches to the subject of preceding clause. Here with phrase gives more information about the preceding subject .
Also a noun after with should be a sub component of the subject of preceding clause

Matt has a very full schedule this week, with every one of his available time slots occupied.

--> this sentence works, because "with" actually applies to Matt and/or his schedule -- i.e., Matt is the person with those occupied time slots, and/or his schedule is actually the thing with those time slots.

The thirteen original British colonies in North America, with some formed as commercial ventures, while others as religious havens, each had a written charter

In the Above sentence=== "some" is referring to the colonies themselves, so that sentence is literally talking about "colonies with colonies". that doesn't make sense.

Now this sentence,
Emily and Nora fell asleep, with Emily still having wet hair.
This doesn't work, because Emily is not a sub-component of Emily.
Generally, the noun should be some component of the previous subject
James was injured badly in the accident, with three bones broken badly enough to require surgery.

In this kind of construction"”with + noun + verbED/verbING"”the noun should be some component of the previous thing. I.e., here, the bones are part of James.

Please give kudos if you liked this post !!

Hi gccracker. thanks for detailed explanation!
But i'm still confused with the sentence "The thirteen original British colonies in North America, with some formed as commercial ventures, while others as religious havens, each had a written charter". If we regard "13 colonies" as a collective entity, then "some" and "others" are elements in this entity. In this case, can we use "with" to add more information to these 13 colonies?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Kudos
gccracker wrote:
Hello Everyone,

During my preparation for the GMAT , I found it difficult to remember the different forms of usage of "with" as is used in many official SC questions .

So I have compiled a small document that helped me a lot to understand the usage of "with".

Usages of With

For Eg:
i) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes

Here “with” is used to give the result of the action in preceding clause === The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted.

ii) Environmental groups have filed a mass of lawsuits against the government’s inaction, with the result that the Supreme Court plays a larger role in environmental protection than its equivalent does in any other big country - an odd way to set policy.

2) With + noun

“With” is used when the noun after “with” attaches to the subject of preceding clause. Here with phrase gives more information about the preceding subject .
Also a noun after with should be a sub component of the subject of preceding clause

Matt has a very full schedule this week, with every one of his available time slots occupied.

--> this sentence works, because "with" actually applies to Matt and/or his schedule -- i.e., Matt is the person with those occupied time slots, and/or his schedule is actually the thing with those time slots.

The thirteen original British colonies in North America, with some formed as commercial ventures, while others as religious havens, each had a written charter

In the Above sentence=== "some" is referring to the colonies themselves, so that sentence is literally talking about "colonies with colonies". that doesn't make sense.

Now this sentence,
James was injured badly in the accident, with three bones broken badly enough to require surgery.

In this kind of construction"”with + noun + verbED/verbING"”the noun should be some component of the previous thing. I.e., here, the bones are part of James.

Experts !
It would be of great help if any Verbal expert can verify the above post (" The usage of With in Gmat")
mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, chetan2u, KarishmaB, souvik101990
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Usage of With In GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]
GmatDaddy wrote:
gccracker wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Usages of With

For Eg:

2) With + noun

Now this sentence,

This is a very interesting topic as I have been confused on how to use "with" in a modifier clause. I appreciate gccracker contribution so much. Nevertheless, it would be super awesome if any of the expert confirm this or add more to this as "with" can be very confusing a lot of times. I also notice that GMAT loves to use "with" in wrong sentences, yet many times answers with "with" actually are correct. I wonder why there are almost no topics about usages of "with?"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
alexlearning17 wrote:
GmatDaddy wrote:
gccracker wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Usages of With

For Eg:

2) With + noun

Now this sentence,

This is a very interesting topic as I have been confused on how to use "with" in a modifier clause. I appreciate gccracker contribution so much. Nevertheless, it would be super awesome if any of the expert confirm this or add more to this as "with" can be very confusing a lot of times. I also notice that GMAT loves to use "with" in wrong sentences, yet many times answers with "with" actually are correct. I wonder why there are almost no topics about usages of "with?"

Yep you are correct, Usage of with is pretty common in GMAT. However not much theory/rules exist for its usage(as far as i know). It would be great if some expert can chip in and provide his/her inputs !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [5]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Kudos
ArupRS wrote:

I once read this but forgot that this post exists. Thank you for reminding!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
gccracker wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Usages of With

For Eg:

2) With + noun

Now this sentence,

Hi egmat chetan2u DmitryFarber

Can you please confirm on the usage of with mentioned here.

Thanks!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
gccracker wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Usages of With

For Eg:

2) With + noun

Now this sentence,

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , jennpt , other experts -
Although some of the examples used seem to be official sentences, can you please authenticate the usages of WITH stated in the above post?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Skywalker18 wrote:
gccracker wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Usages of With

For Eg:

2) With + noun

Now this sentence,

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , jennpt , other experts -
Although some of the examples used seem to be official sentences, can you please authenticate the usages of WITH stated in the above post?

I would also appreciate if somebody could validate this

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , jennpt
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jawele wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
gccracker wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Usages of With

For Eg:

2) With + noun

Now this sentence,

I would also appreciate if somebody could validate this

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , jennpt

Hi jawele, Skywalker18, and gmat1393,

All of the above looks correct to me :)

Best,
Carolyn
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Wonderful post.

Here is a post by mikemcgarry about the usage of with + [noun] + [participle] structure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
egmat, what does 'themselves' in option B refer to here- companies or benefits?
Manager
Manager
Status:Having fun Growing Mental Agility & Toughness (GMAT) ^_^
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
Mantra: "There is a will, there is a way."
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Thanks a lot for summarizing this, with the result that many of us learned from it.
Your post has been appreciated by many, with more than 100 kudos!

Another official example to share:
Quote:
The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale, with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, connected by a complex regional system of roads.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Hi EducationAisle

Is the above explanation correct ?
Can you throw some light on the uses of "with"
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Indeed Mayank, "with" is very versatile, in terms of usage. However, I do believe that the Magoosh Blog does a good job at summarizing it.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts