It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Usage of With In GMAT Prep SC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
19 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 42 [19], given: 2

Usage of With In GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 13:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello Everyone,

During my preparation for the GMAT , I found it difficult to remember the different forms of usage of "with" as is used in many official SC questions .

So I have compiled a small document that helped me a lot to understand the usage of "with".

Sharing it here for mutual benefit.

Usages of With

1) “With” is used to give the result of the action in preceding clause.
For Eg:
i) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes

Here “with” is used to give the result of the action in preceding clause === The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted.

So we can see that “Comma + With” acts as an adverbial Modifier

ii) Environmental groups have filed a mass of lawsuits against the government’s inaction, with the result that the Supreme Court plays a larger role in environmental protection than its equivalent does in any other big country - an odd way to set policy.

Here also “comma + with” is used to give the result of preceding action

2) With + noun

“With” is used when the noun after “with” attaches to the subject of preceding clause. Here with phrase gives more information about the preceding subject .
Also a noun after with should be a sub component of the subject of preceding clause

Matt has a very full schedule this week, with every one of his available time slots occupied.

--> this sentence works, because "with" actually applies to Matt and/or his schedule -- i.e., Matt is the person with those occupied time slots, and/or his schedule is actually the thing with those time slots.

The thirteen original British colonies in North America, with some formed as commercial ventures, while others as religious havens, each had a written charter

In the Above sentence=== "some" is referring to the colonies themselves, so that sentence is literally talking about "colonies with colonies". that doesn't make sense.

Now this sentence,
Emily and Nora fell asleep, with Emily still having wet hair.
This doesn't work, because Emily is not a sub-component of Emily.
Generally, the noun should be some component of the previous subject
James was injured badly in the accident, with three bones broken badly enough to require surgery.

In this kind of construction"”with + noun + verbED/verbING"”the noun should be some component of the previous thing. I.e., here, the bones are part of James.

Please give kudos if you liked this post !!

Kudos [?]: 42 [19], given: 2

Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 226

GPA: 3
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Usage of With In GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 23:08
This is excellent thank you so much for this usage I was looking for this since quite a long time
More kudos to you

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 226

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Usage of With In GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 23:15
Kudos to you for this!!

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 62

Re: Usage of With In GMAT Prep SC   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2017, 23:15

Usage of With In GMAT Prep SC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap