Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [25]
Given Kudos: 418
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [6]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Mary Shelley is widely credited for the invention of a new literary [#permalink]
akshayk wrote:
Kritesh wrote:
Mary Shelley is widely credited for the invention of a new literary genre; many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein, to be the first science fiction story.

A. for the invention of a new literary genre; many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein, to be
B. for inventing a new literary genre; many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein, as being
C. to have invented a new literary genre; many scholars regard her first and only novel, Frankenstein, to be
D. with the invention of a new literary genre; many scholars regard her first and only novel, Frankenstein, to be
E. with the invention of a new literary genre; many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein,

credited with so A,B,C are out.
D - 'regard... to be...' is incorrect. It's 'regard-'ed' as'. OUT
E - Correct answer.

I think credit for should work here. Ex - He got credit for the work I did.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: Mary Shelley is widely credited for the invention of a new literary [#permalink]
hotshot02 wrote:
akshayk wrote:
Kritesh wrote:
Mary Shelley is widely credited for the invention of a new literary genre; many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein, to be the first science fiction story.

A. for the invention of a new literary genre; many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein, to be
B. for inventing a new literary genre; many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein, as being
C. to have invented a new literary genre; many scholars regard her first and only novel, Frankenstein, to be
D. with the invention of a new literary genre; many scholars regard her first and only novel, Frankenstein, to be
E. with the invention of a new literary genre; many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein,

E - Correct answer.

I dont know which preposition is used with credit but the right idiom for consider is CONSIDER X Y so we can rule out A, B, C and D right away. Therefore, is credited with is an approriate phrase in this question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
nimapi wrote:
hotshot02 wrote:

E - Correct answer.

I dont know which preposition is used with credit but the right idiom for consider is CONSIDER X Y so we can rule out A, B, C and D right away. Therefore, is credited with is an approriate phrase in this question.[/quote]

Before anyone else get's confused with my post. Let me clarify. In haste, I quoted the incorrect error.
A,B,C,D have an idiom error as everyone has pointed out. Consider to be, Consider as being, and Regard to be are incorrect.
So, E is the only correct option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Given Kudos: 418
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
Send PM
The choices have a 2-2-1 split: (A) and (B) begin with “for,” (C) begins with “to have,” and (D) and (E) begin with “with.”

The correct idiomatic expression is “credited with,” so (A), (B), and (C) are all wrong. (D) is wrong because the correct idiomatic expression is “regard as,” not “regard to be.” Only (E) is idiomatically correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6122 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Mary Shelley is widely credited for the invention of a new literary [#permalink]
Bookmarks
"credit for", "credit to" and "credit with" are all correct.

"consider X as Y" and "consider X to be Y" are wrong. Correct form is "consider X Y".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kritesh wrote:

E ..
consider A B is the idiom ..
A,B gone ..
credited to -C is wrong
regard to be -- wrong
E is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein, the first science fiction story.
How the above is a stand-alone sentence?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
spbose wrote:
many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein, the first science fiction story.
How the above is a stand-alone sentence?

Hi spbose ,

We are using the idiom consider X, Y.

Now, in the above sentence

X : her first and only novel

Y : the first science fiction story

Note that the noun "Frankenstein" is just the name of the first novel and is separated using two commas split. Hence, it is telling us just the extra information about the first novel.

Hence, the sentence is well written in its current form.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q163 V154
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I didnt know that "to be" doesn't go with "regard" as well.
So "to be" is almost always wrong.
But I've seen "seem to be", "seems to be" to be correct is few questions. So "seems to be" is fine?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
In gmat, the content of a question in SC is both an advantage and disadvantage to test takers. Put it simply, the content either causes distractions or gives the context that helps to eliminate wrong choices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Please explain why isn't a helping verb needed to modify the the scholar's consideration. Because on a plain reading of option E, it looks as if the Frankenstein is getting modified.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Rishabhgmat2468 wrote:
Please explain why isn't a helping verb needed to modify the the scholar's consideration. Because on a plain reading of option E, it looks as if the Frankenstein is getting modified.

you have made a great point.
My 2 cent, I do not see any flaw in E, and E seems the best option. I go for E. I think such modifier in E is normal in both formal gmat test, and informal English grammar.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM

A. for the invention of a new literary genre; many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein, to be -incorrect idiom
B. for inventing a new literary genre; many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein, as being -incorrect idiom
C. to have invented a new literary genre; many scholars regard her first and only novel, Frankenstein, to be -incorrect idiom
D. with the invention of a new literary genre; many scholars regard her first and only novel, Frankenstein, to be -incorrect idiom
E. with the invention of a new literary genre; many scholars consider her first and only novel, Frankenstein, Correct
Send PM
broall wrote:

"consider X as Y" and "consider X to be Y" are wrong. Correct form is "consider X Y".

Hi broall,

As per my understanding correct idiom is "credit with".

"Credit for" is used only when "credit" is not a verb.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6122 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
gmatexam439 wrote:
broall wrote:

Hi broall,

Regards

Yep, you are correct
Send PM
broall wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
broall wrote:

Hi broall,

Regards

Yep, you are correct

Thank you sire !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Could someone help me understand how credited with here is chosen over credited for ?
Thank you
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts