Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 03:24 It is currently 08 May 2024, 03:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 694 [25]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38902 [1]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Send PM
Re: Rifka: We do not need to stop and ask for directions. We would not nee [#permalink]
Hey Experts,

Didn't quiet understand the question and the answer. Please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Schools: LBS '18 ISB '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
Re: Rifka: We do not need to stop and ask for directions. We would not nee [#permalink]
Bookmarks
aurobindomahanty wrote:
Rifka: We do not need to stop and ask for directions. We would not need to do that unless, of course, we were lost.
Craig: The fact that we are lost is precisely why we need to stop.
In the exchange above, the function of Craig’s comment is to

(A) contradict the conclusion of Rifka’s argument without offering any reason to reject any of Rifka’s implicit premises
(B) deny one of Rifka’s implicit premises and thereby arrive at a different conclusion
(C) imply that Rifka’s argument is invalid by accepting the truth of its premises while rejecting its conclusion
(D) provide a counterexample to Rifka’s generalization
(E) affirm the truth of the stated premise of Rifka’s argument while remaining noncommittal about its conclusion

A nice question on conditional Reasoning
I got it wrong in my attempt.
UNLESS INTRODUCES A NECESSARY CONDITION
therefore, If i write the rifika's conclusionWe would not need to do that unless, of course, we were lost in sufficient condition and necessary condition form it will be ((( I will choose if , then indicators to be more precise))

IF we need to stop and ask for directions, then we are lost-------1

A contrapositive (( correct reversal )) of this statement will be
IF we are not lost , then we do not need to stop and ask for directions------2

Coming to Craig's Conclusion The fact that we are lost is precisely why we need to stop.

Compare this to 1 and 2 we find no similarities

Infact this is the wrong negation of the statement 2
Option b says that deny one of Rifka’s implicit premises and thereby arrive at a different conclusion
Craig is coming to a different conclusion by using mistaken reversal of statement 2. Also he is acting against the premise of rifika we do not need to stop and ask for directions .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Schools: LBS '18 ISB '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib wrote:
aurobindomahanty wrote:
Rifka: We do not need to stop and ask for directions. We would not need to do that unless, of course, we were lost.

(A) contradict the conclusion of Rifka’s argument without offering any reason to reject any of Rifka’s implicit premises
(B) deny one of Rifka’s implicit premises and thereby arrive at a different conclusion
(C) imply that Rifka’s argument is invalid by accepting the truth of its premises while rejecting its conclusion
(E) affirm the truth of the stated premise of Rifka’s argument while remaining noncommittal about its conclusion

Rifka: If lost ,then stop and ask
Craig:If lost ,then stop

AbdurRakib
Hi AbdurRakib
Though you arrived at the right answer , the form of conditional reasoning you used is wrong
Unless introduces a necessary condition
IF introduces a sufficient condition , then introduces a necessary condition
To find a conditional indicator such as UNLESS we need to write the part before UNLESS BY removing not, as sufficient
condition and the part with UNLESS ,becomes the necessary condition

therefore, If i write the rifika's conclusion
We would not need to do that unless, of course, we were lost in sufficient condition and necessary condition form it will be ((( if , then indicators))

IF we need to stop and ask for directions, then we are lost-------1

A contrapositive (( correct reversal )) of this statement will be
IF we are not lost , then we do not need to stop and ask for directions------2

What you wrote as reasoning is mistaken reversal
Please correct me if i am wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
Can anyone please explain the correct answer please? I still do not understand
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 592
Send PM
What an incredible question in a dire need of an expert explanation.

GMATNinja

Please step in :)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
can someone please tell the difference between option b and c?? why is option B better?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Rifka: We do not need to stop and ask for directions. We would not nee [#permalink]

DrAnkita91 wrote:
can someone please tell the difference between option b and c?? why is option B better?

­Hey @DrAnkita91

Let me try to help!

Rifka's argument:
Conclusion -> We do not need to stop and ask for directions.
Reasoning -> We would not need to stop and ask for directions unless we were actually lost.
Implicit premise -> We are not actually lost.
Understanding the Logical play -> If we were actually lost, then, yes, we would need to stop and ask for directions. But we are not actually lost (implicit). So, we do not need to stop and ask for directions (conclusion).

Craig's counter:
The fact that we are lost is precisely why we need to stop.

Rifka's implicitly considers that they are not lost. Craig denies the truth of this. He states as a fact that they are lost. Based on his outright denial of Rifka's implicit premise, Craig arrives at a different conclusion to Rifka's ("we need to stop" vs. "we do not need to stop").

Hope you see why choice B is correct.

The issue with choice C -> While Craig does reject Rifka's conclusion, he does not accept the truth of Rifka's premises. As we have seen, Craig denies the truth of Rifka's implicit premise. The issue with choice C is "by accepting the truth of its premises". Not true.

Hope this helps!
___
Harsha
Enthu about all things GMAT | Exploring the GMAT space | My website: gmatanchor.com
GMAT Club Bot
Rifka: We do not need to stop and ask for directions. We would not nee [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts