Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 18:03 It is currently 02 May 2024, 18:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1994 [23]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 491 [1]
Given Kudos: 467
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 493 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Scientists recently documented that influenza spreads around the world [#permalink]
Option B

(A) installing air filtration systems in the planes to kill any flu virus particles flowing through the filters -- virus can spread in the closed environment but the medium is not specified. Eliminate
(B) requiring air travelers to receive flu vaccinations far enough in advance of the trip to provide protection against the disease -- Flu vaccination in advance can prevent flu. Keep
(C) refusing to allow children, the elderly, or others who are especially vulnerable to flu to travel by air during a pandemic -- Irrelevant. Answer is specific while the passage doesn't specify anything about who will be more vulnerable
(D) requiring all air travelers to wash their hands before boarding a plane -- Irrelevant. Similar to (A). Eliminate
(E) conducting medical examinations during the boarding process to weed out passengers with flu symptoms -- it's mentioned that a person can travel across the globe even before first signs of infection appear. Eliminate

Only (B) makes sense.

Posted from my mobile device
PM Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Re: Scientists recently documented that influenza spreads around the world [#permalink]
Kudos
Its March 2020. Staying in quarantine and attempting this question is making me think more and more of the Coronavirus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
arora1 wrote:
Its March 2020. Staying in quarantine and attempting this question is making me think more and more of the Coronavirus.

Not a good question for March 2020 indeed. Hope you are all safe from COVID 19
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
RoyMastang wrote:
arora1 wrote:

Yes, at the same time I got it wrong, since option B assumed that the vaccinations were already available unlike the current situation!!

Hope it is available soon so that we can implement this strategy and have commercial airlines up and running soon along with ensuring safety to everyone!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
A. The filter systems can’t stop air from circulating within the plane.
B. This will stop the spread in planes.
C. While this might reduce the problem, it is not foolproof.
D. Its effects are not described in the passage.
E. But what of the people who develop symptoms after they board the plane?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Scientists recently documented that influenza spreads around the world [#permalink]
shameekv1989 wrote:
RoyMastang wrote:
arora1 wrote:

Yes, at the same time I got it wrong, since option B assumed that the vaccinations were already available unlike the current situation!!

Hope it is available soon so that we can implement this strategy and have commercial airlines up and running soon along with ensuring safety to everyone!!

I thought this is kind of a typical gmat question, and sometimes the correct answer cannot be applied in such a practical way to real situation, after all- theory is theory

if we want to minimize the impact of air travel, and according to the question stem states, the key point is “an infected person can travel across the globe before the first signs appear, we should pick the answer which will “best” prevent the spread of influenza/prevent any passenger to get the influenza before signs shows

(B) fits best as we can see from these words--- far enough in advance of the trip to provide protection--- and while other choices could also prevent influenza spread, its not as good as (B) which best help prevent infected person travel across the globe before the first signs appear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
souvonik2k wrote:
Scientists recently documented that influenza spreads around the world more efficiently in the modern era due to commercial air travel. Symptoms of a pandemic-level flu are severe enough that the ill would likely cancel or reschedule air travel, but an infected person can travel across the globe before the first signs appear. Further, if symptoms develop while someone is still on a plane, the infected person's cough can spread the virus easily in the enclosed and closely packed environment.

Which of the following would best minimize the role air travel can play in the spread of influenza during a pandemic?
(A) installing air filtration systems in the planes to kill any flu virus particles flowing through the filters
(B) requiring air travelers to receive flu vaccinations far enough in advance of the trip to provide protection against the disease
(C) refusing to allow children, the elderly, or others who are especially vulnerable to flu to travel by air during a pandemic
(D) requiring all air travelers to wash their hands before boarding a plane
(E) conducting medical examinations during the boarding process to weed out passengers with flu symptoms

Anyone could help me explain why not A please? I chose it because the virus can spread easily in the enclosed environment and I think that air filtration system could make the air circulate => no longer an enclosed environment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Experts please suggest.

I chose option A instead of B.

Option B: vaccinate in advance to provide protection against the disease. What does "providing protection" mean?

- symptoms will appear but the vaccination will help in fighting against the virus? In this case, the virus can still travel.
or
- the flu will get erased from the body?

The language of option B did just specify that vaccination will provide protection against the disease.

A, on the other hand, tells us that at least some virus, if not many, will get killed because of the filters installed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
souvonik2k wrote:
Scientists recently documented that influenza spreads around the world more efficiently in the modern era due to commercial air travel. Symptoms of a pandemic-level flu are severe enough that the ill would likely cancel or reschedule air travel, but an infected person can travel across the globe before the first signs appear. Further, if symptoms develop while someone is still on a plane, the infected person's cough can spread the virus easily in the enclosed and closely packed environment.

Which of the following would best minimize the role air travel can play in the spread of influenza during a pandemic?
(A) installing air filtration systems in the planes to kill any flu virus particles flowing through the filters
(B) requiring air travelers to receive flu vaccinations far enough in advance of the trip to provide protection against the disease
(C) refusing to allow children, the elderly, or others who are especially vulnerable to flu to travel by air during a pandemic
(E) conducting medical examinations during the boarding process to weed out passengers with flu symptoms

Ha! Visiting this Question in 2021 after Covid Second Wave in India and makes a lot of sense .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hemanthdasu13 wrote:
souvonik2k wrote:

Ha! Visiting this Question in 2021 after Covid Second Wave in India and makes a lot of sense .

Hard to get this question wrong after March'20
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
sssanskaar wrote:
Experts please suggest.

I chose option A instead of B.

Option B: vaccinate in advance to provide protection against the disease. What does "providing protection" mean?

- symptoms will appear but the vaccination will help in fighting against the virus? In this case, the virus can still travel.
or
- the flu will get erased from the body?

The language of option B did just specify that vaccination will provide protection against the disease.

A, on the other hand, tells us that at least some virus, if not many, will get killed because of the filters installed.

sssanskaar, I guess the current scenario can really play with option B. Vaccinated people can still carry and Spread Covid-19, but in a normal scenario, a vaccination would mean you do/cannot not catch/have it. So ideally, the flu gets eradicated from the body or does not enter the body at all.

That said, option A is definitely not great. It's good that the virus does not spread inside the airplanes (best case scenario), but sitting on the airplane is just one part of air travel. There are countless other boarding and arrival procedures and they are often conducted in close proximity. Even today, vaccination is very obviously a much better option than the filtration of air on the planes. Hope this helps! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
Send PM
Kudos
People attempting this after March 2020 can easily get this. "Vaccination is the only cure for covid"
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts