Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [2]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: GMAT 770 and canceled it [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi gmatlover12 Reinstate your score. Build on your application package. You should be fine!

-Wharton Admit (GMAT 750/Male/Engineer/Non-IIT)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS,LSB stanford, wharton,MIT
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations on your score of 770, Well you have proved you have brain power. Question is how can you make good use of it. Look at the end game. All the skills that you have if you use it just for your good it only helps you but if you use it for greater good you can solve lot of nagging problems that beseech the humanity in general. You can spend time and money (resources) to get a perfect score of 800 and may get in the B-school that you want but will it be any different than 1000s who get in the B-school of their choice and just serve their own purpose. What really matters in the end is what have you done to improve life of others who are not as gifted as you. So my two cents would be re-evaluate what you are doing with your gifts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V147
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations on getting such a good score.
As many people said, your score is more than enough to get in to premier B school.
But it depends on person to person. All the best for your next test. Hoping that you would get 780 :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V45
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
GMAT 770 and canceled it [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks for the all the replies, appreciate it! Not sure why so much hate though. I mean, I did not expect everyone to agree with me, but calling me myopic and grade/score obsessed when I have clearly mentioned that my focus is now fully on getting my application package ready and only then will I think of retaking the GMAT - I think it's a little quick to jump to hateful judgements.

For all those who mentioned that a 770 = 780, thanks, it is very gratifying to hear. At the risk of sounding like an ass, I'll still go ahead and say it - several admissions consultants had independently and clearly told me that a 770 would cut it, a 760 might cut it, a 750 doubtful to cut it - specifically for my profile which is crowded and overcompetitive (male engineer, low GPA from IIT, consulting, buy side finance). Of course I will focus on my essays and workex and what not, but at the end of it all, it does beg the question - will a 780 even slightly give a further edge? Say at a school like Tuck? I think so, because if a 770 clearly gives an edge over 760, then a 780 should over 770. But the same is not true for a 790 over 780, because it seems like last year only 3 people got into M7 with a 790. It's possibble that this is because perhaps only a single digit number of mba applicant even got a 790. Nevertheless, I don't think I am 790 material and the effort and anxiety in targeting 790 is not practical for me. So my line is at 780 (if I have the time after other application priorities are sorted out). Still seems like a reasonable argument to me.

Also, hope my debrief helps someone. For all the lurking I have done on this forum, this debrief is only my second post here. Happy to be a part of this community. I have been responsive to PMs over the last few days and will be happy to help and pay it forward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
gmatlover12 wrote:
Thanks for the all the replies, appreciate it! Not sure why so much hate though. I mean, I did not expect everyone to agree with me, but calling me myopic and grade/score obsessed when I have clearly mentioned that my focus is now fully on getting my application package ready and only then will I think of retaking the GMAT - I think it's a little quick to jump to hateful judgements.

For all those who mentioned that a 770 = 780, thanks, it is very gratifying to hear. At the risk of sounding like an ass, I'll still go ahead and say it - several admissions consultants had independently and clearly told me that a 770 would cut it, a 760 might cut it, a 750 doubtful to cut it - specifically for my profile which is crowded and overcompetitive (male engineer, low GPA from IIT, consulting, buy side finance). Of course I will focus on my essays and workex and what not, but at the end of it all, it does beg the question - will a 780 even slightly give a further edge? Say at a school like Tuck? I think so, because if a 770 clearly gives an edge over 760, then a 780 should over 770. But the same is not true for a 790 over 780, because it seems like last year only 3 people got into M7 with a 790. It's possibble that this is because perhaps only a single digit number of mba applicant even got a 790. Nevertheless, I don't think I am 790 material and the effort and anxiety in targeting 790 is not practical for me. So my line is at 780 (if I have the time after other application priorities are sorted out). Still seems like a reasonable argument to me.

Also, hope my debrief helps someone. For all the lurking I have done on this forum, this debrief is only my second post here. Happy to be a part of this community. I have been responsive to PMs over the last few days and will be happy to help and pay it forward.

Sorry you're getting hate, but it is fairly understandable. Not saying it was your intention, but it is likely possible that a post about how you're not happy with a 750 or a 770 comes off as tactless and as a "humblebrag". A lot of people here would kill to get a 750, I personally had to struggle to hit that score.

I personally don't buy into your reasoning that a 780 is an edge over a 770, but like I said, if its a personal itch you need to scratch, then noone's opinion should matter to you. At the end of the day if a 780 makes you more confident than a 770, that confidence is likely to show in your essays and interview, so do whatever makes you happy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 749 [0]
Given Kudos: 2265
Schools: HBS '22
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GRE 1: Q168 V164
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
houston1980 , I believe you meant 62/67 questions right - (36 verbal of which 3 wrong, 31 quant of which 2 wrong). If it helps, I think the quant wrong ones are Q21 and Q31

gmatlover12 It is assumed that only 30 and 28 questions are scored out of 36 Verbal questions and 31 Quantitative questions respectively. It is very possible you scored 62/67 right. You may go through the link below. It is assumed that 6 verbal questions and 3 quantitative questions are experimental questions.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/hiline-gmat- ... l#p1718301
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
That's really interesting. I can understand your thought process as I too carry the competitive mindset of Indian students.

However, frankly, it is a bit unfortunate that in being blindly academics centred, we miss the bigger picture.

I would so very much recommend that you rather focus your energy on profile and applications rather than those extra 10-20 points on GMAT.

Nonetheless, you know it the best.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T285 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
rceckcrc wrote:
Sorry to ask this question as I haven't taken the GMAT yet.

I thought if you choose to cancel, then you won't know your score at the end?

No, you see the score first. Then you can choose whether you want to keep it and send it to your schools or cancel it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Nope. This is just dumb and you're letting perfect be the enemy of good. There is NO school that will reject your overall profile at 770 but will accept you at 780. IMO this shows poor decision making. Why do you want to do an MBA? Bring a good CEO or having a successful career is not about having a perfect academic score. Far from it.

FYI I got rejected from 2 schools with a 770, and I'm not really from an oversubscribed demographic either. If you don't fit the desired profile or other parts of your profile are off, then your GMAT score is not going to help you much.

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools: HBS '18
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey buddy, I think you are up to big things. You know deep down you can do better and you are going for it. It sounds like its a personal thing to push yourself above and beyond and this will translate in real life too. Therefore, I disagree with some of the objections raised about your move and I find your post inspiring. Also, its not like you can't reinstate your score! you can always cancel and then re-instate your score so am not sure why so many people are being grumpy about it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [1]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Kudos
gmatlover12 wrote:

gmatlover12 congratulations!!

I can totally understand your point of view. The world needs more people like you, who settle for nothing but the best. If not for people like you, humans would not have achieved amazing feats, for e.g. climbing Mt. Everest. For why would one risk their lives in the quest to be at the highest point in the world. But pioneers in mountaineering were people like you, they pushed themselves to their limits, put their lives at risk, to reach the summit of Mt. Everest. In achieving their stupendous feats, these pioneers paved the way for thousands of others, who every year walk in the very footsteps of these pioneers to reach at the top of the world. Pushing the boundaries of your potential is what expands the scope of your achievements. There will be undoubtedly great learning from your experience if you share it with your brethren on gmatclub. I would love to see you achieve that 780 or more. I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Also i can see your insecurity even after a 770, I understand that too. Why not dazzle the Adcom with a 780, when you clearly can? Right? After all Adcoms are human too, no matter what anyone tells you, a high score will always command respect & if it can help your application package rise above the rest, its always a win for you. As long as you can create a kickass application package & still manage a 780 on a repeat attempt, then why not? You should definitely go ahead with full steam & all guns blazing. The only resources that will be expended are time & money, if you can afford both, then go ahead by all means.

On the otherhand if you feel your application package has a set limitation & it has already been stretched to its maximum possible capacity. Then its always a good thing to have a solid score that will make the adcom think twice or maybe thrice before casting your application off.

Nonetheless a 780 will absolutely, make you stand above the rest.

It will be awesome to learn from your experience of going from 750 to 770 & then 780 or more, keep us updated.

Thanks
GyM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3130 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Nothing against the original poster. I hope he gets his 780(and I hope he uses the GmatClub functionality to verify his 770!). But here are my 2 cents -->

Note-Personal opinion only.
It is absolutely FOOLISH and LUDICROUS to cancel a 770!

770 + Bad profile = No deal.
720 + Good profile = Great things can happen.

To future readers of this post - Do not try and waste an year(possible more!) of you life re-preparing for test you have already nailed. Anything in the 720-750 range is amazing and will require your total commitment. Once you get there, use the additional time working on those essays and networking with the admissions office.

Best,
Stone
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
gmatlover12 wrote:
JAM789 I'm under the impression that schools will never know that I cancelled. My decision is entirely based on this. I would not have cancelled even my first 750 other wise.

I also cancelled 740 and scored a 770 later. My two cents - I know that Columbia application asks you how many times did you write the gmat. Other colleges may also ask for such info, I haven't checked yet. Also, you have to upload your copy of the gmat report in which cancellations will be visible. So check all this before you cancel multiple tests. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by MrSheldonCooper on 25 May 2018, 17:29.
Last edited by MrSheldonCooper on 26 May 2018, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Send PM
DanishHasan, do you have a copy of your enhanced score report by any chance? Congratulations on your 770. I'm astounded at your split of Q50 V42. I had a split of Q51 V45, for the same score of 770. Out of academic interest, would love to understand a bit more on the inherent quality of the Q50/51 and the V45/42 here. Perhaps it lies in which and how many questions one got wrong - later questions less penalty etc.

arjund, if I can get to an M7 and MBB after that, I'd feel pretty good
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
gmatlover12, my next question is why do you want to join an MBB post MBA ? (You don't have to answer it here if you feel uncomfortable). Please note that more than your GMAT score, this is the question which will get you accepted or rejected in a good B school. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
gmatlover12 wrote:
DanishHasan, do you have a copy of your enhanced score report by any chance? Congratulations on your 770. I'm astounded at your split of Q50 V42. I had a split of Q51 V45, for the same score of 770. Out of academic interest, would love to understand a bit more on the inherent quality of the Q50/51 and the V45/42 here. Perhaps it lies in which and how many questions one got wrong - later questions less penalty etc.

arjund, if I can get to an M7 and MBB after that, I'd feel pretty good

Even I was quite surprised at the split. Initially, I thought that the required splits for a 770 have come down meaningfully. Now seeing you, looks like I was indeed an outlier. My ESR is attached.
Attachments

ESR_Danish Hasan_770.pdf [407.03 KiB]
Downloaded 140 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Send PM
DanishHasan, your ESR is seriously seriously interesting. You seem to have only 1 question wrong in quant, that too in the last quarter of questions, and yet your score is Q50!

In verbal, you seem to have total 4 questions wrong, all in the middle half - the first 25% and last 25% questions are correctly answered.

I think what's shocking in your case is not the 770 - that seems in line - but the Q50 and the V42

In contrast, here's my ESR summary:

houston1980 wrote:
Congratulations on your great 770 score!!!! So it is possible to miss 5 questions out of 58 questions that count (53/58) and still score 770 on the GMAT. That is amazing!!!

Verbal
In the first set of questions you answered 88% correctly and 12% incorrectly.
In the second set of questions you answered 86% correctly and 14% incorrectly.
In the third set of questions you answered 100% correctly and 0% either incorrectly or did not answer.
In the final set of questions you answered 88% correctly and 12% either incorrectly or did not answer.

Quantitative
You responded correctly to 100% of the first set of questions, 100% of the second set of questions, 86% of the third set of questions and 86% of the final set of questions..
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts