Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi sethgaurang,

Over the past few years, we've seen more and more folks from an operations ground apply to ISB. With 4 years of work experience, the competition becomes even more fierce. A few thoughts on your profile:

- Managing a team of 30 is great and make sure to highlight contributions and learnings from your managerial experience

- A GMAT score of 680 will definitely pull you down. While a higher GMAT does not guarantee you admission, lower than class average (of about 710) can diminish your chances of getting through. There is still time before the R1 deadline and we recommend you definitely give GMAT another shot

- Extracurriculars can be huge differentiators and we think these is definitely an area of improvement. You would need something more current and more hands-on to show that you are a well-rounded personality.

- You haven't spoken about your goals and this is often the most important part of the application, esp for essay 2. Spend some time articulating how can ISB help you reach your goals?

Overall, a well-balanced application with an improved GMAT score can see you through.

sethgaurang wrote:
Hi all,
Request you to please evaluate my profile for admission at ISB Hyderabad.

I am a chemical engineer working at an E-SBR (JV of IOCL and TSRC) plant in the operations department. Job responsibilities include managing a shift of around 30 people responsible for production. Job responsibilities require a mix of technical and managerial skills.

High school- 86.8%(CBSE)
12th- 77.8%(CBSE)
B.E chemical engineering- 8.077 CGPA (80.77%) from DSSBUICET Panjab University (central university, selection through AIEEE)
Work ex-4 years experience at a chemical plant.
Gmat score- 680 (V34,Q48)

Extracurricular
1) Level 2 Diploma holder in German language
2) District topper in X CBSE board examinations
3) Head of Marketing team for college fest Cyanide 2011 Generated an amount of Rs 46K from sponsors
namely Kings XI Punjab and Nike.

Regards
Gaurang Seth
sethgaurang@gmail.com
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sethgaurang wrote:
Hi all,
Request you to please evaluate my profile for admission at ISB Hyderabad.

I am a chemical engineer working at an E-SBR (JV of IOCL and TSRC) plant in the operations department. Job responsibilities include managing a shift of around 30 people responsible for production. Job responsibilities require a mix of technical and managerial skills.

High school- 86.8%(CBSE)
12th- 77.8%(CBSE)
B.E chemical engineering- 8.077 CGPA (80.77%) from DSSBUICET Panjab University (central university, selection through AIEEE)
Work ex-4 years experience at a chemical plant.
Gmat score- 680 (V34,Q48)

Extracurricular
1) Level 2 Diploma holder in German language
2) District topper in X CBSE board examinations
3) Head of Marketing team for college fest Cyanide 2011 Generated an amount of Rs 46K from sponsors
namely Kings XI Punjab and Nike.

Regards
Gaurang Seth
sethgaurang@gmail.com

Hi sethgaurang,

While you have a had a pretty decent academic career and valuable leadership experience at the professional level, your GMAT score falls at least thirty points under the ISB average. As a result, we strongly recommend a GMAT retake and you must aim for a score upwards of 720.

Having said that, the GMAT is only one component of the applications process and you will have to put forth a set of essays that not only speak about your career progression and achievements but also portray a set of career goals, wherein your short-term and long-term career goals are in sync with your existing experience.

If you are able to take care of the above-mentioned points, you will have a good chance of cracking ISB!

We would like to take this opportunity to offer you a detailed profile evaluation. Should you feel the need for the same, feel free to reach out.

All the best! :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi sethgaurang, any chance you could re-appear in GMAT, to push that 680 by 20-30 points?

The thing is that 680 is definitely not a show-stopper, but it could help your cause if your current score goes up Gurang. Your work-experience certainly puts you in a diverse pool, but right now I don't get a glimpse on your post-MBA goals.

The goals need to be thought thru and articulated.
--
Regards,
Ashish.

Originally posted by ISBeacon on 19 Jun 2018, 10:28.
Last edited by ISBeacon on 27 Sep 2023, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: ISB '20
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks for all the support and knowledge on this thread.

My profile is as follows:
10th: 90%
12th: 85%
BE(Mechanical): First class with distinction (70%)

Work ex: Amazon(Compliance risk investigator and Trainer)
2 years

Business partner at a food startup handing marketing and operations(1 Year)

What should my GMAT score be?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
ShabariSS wrote:

Hi Shabari, with the limited information that you've given, would suggest you aim for 700+.

Obviously, the higher, the better, the lower, the bitter :-) .
--
Regards,
ISBeacon
This year's ISB Essay Analysis
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ,
Please evaluate my below profile:

10th: 92.8%
12th: 84.16%
B.E (Information Science): 9.51/ 10 GPA (2nd Rank holder for the Class)
Work Experience: 4 years as Software QA Engineer
Gave GRE 2 years back and got : 300 ( Q: 158 V: 142)
Have participated in many NGO activities from corporate Citizenship

I know my GRE marks is way low. I’m confused should I retake GRE itself or prepare for GMAT and give a try for GMAT.

Can you please suggest me on what should I choose among GRE or gmat and how much I need in those exams for high admission chances.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Hello ShabariSS

I wish there was a simple answer to this, but there isn't.
ISB will look at your profile holistically on 6 admission factors (read here)
The info you have provided covers just your stats and 'quantitative' part of the profile.
ISB is more interested in the 'qualitative' side. Quality of Work Ex, Career Progression, Achievements, Diversity and Post MBA goals that are realistic and fit your profile.
With the current info best I can recommend is 720+. However remember the quality of your profile will decide whether a 650 is enough or even a 750 is too low.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

ShabariSS wrote:
Hi,

2 years

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello BhargavaB

Both exams are accepted. Since you have already prepared for the GRE and are confident of taking this score up considerably, then take the GRE.
Or you could take a few GMAT mock tests (click here for one) and see if you find the GMAT easier/comfortable for your style. If yes, then go ahead with the GMAT.
But remember to put in equal effort on building your written application, as ultimately that is the deciding factor. No score is too high for an admission- you can read more here

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

BhargavaB wrote:
Hi ,

I know my GRE marks is way low. I’m confused should I retake GRE itself or prepare for GMAT and give a try for GMAT.

Can you please suggest me on what should I choose among GRE or gmat and how much I need in those exams for high admission chances.

Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ShabariSS wrote:
Hi,

2 years

Hi ShabariSS,

Your post does not provide us enough details on your role, career progress, achievements, and post-MBA goals. Nonetheless, with the information that we do have, we would recommend that you aim for a score upwards of 720! :) The higher, the better.

All the best!
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
BhargavaB wrote:
Hi ,

Hi BhargavaB,

Thanks for your query.

Both tests are equally accepted by ISB but we would imagine that considering you have already prepared for GRE and are more conversant with the structure of the test, the GRE would work better for you :-) Nonetheless, you could always take a GMAT Mock to gauge your comfort level :-)

Needless to say, whichever test you do decide to take, you will need to spare time to put forth a stellar set of essays as well, as ISB evaluates applications in a holistic manner.

Hope this helped!

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Can someone please review my profile.

Currently i'm working in an instrumentation company with 4 years of experience ( 1.5 years of international experience )
10th-79.84
12th-80.83
Grad(B.E)-8.91/10

what should be my target score for ISB?

Thanks in advance! :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi BhargavaB,

Since you come from the IT background, please keep in mind that the competition is higher and you would want to pull out all the stops in your candidature to make a great impression.

Average GMAT scores are around 710 and GRE scores are around 324. A score of 300 is definitely on the lower side. Whether you take the GMAT or GRE, it is purely your choice. Since it has been 2 years since you have taken the GRE, you can try giving a mock test for GRE and GMAT each and then decide which one suits you more.

Remember to aim for at least class average, and the higher the better.

Feel free to reach out for personalized guidance and a detailed profile evaluation.

BhargavaB wrote:
Hi ,

VP
VP
Send PM
My friend too little information to advice a score.
ISB is not a school that will look at a laundry list of your stats (Grades, Years of Work Ex, GMAT) and grant you an admission.
A profile is much more than these bullet points (you begin your research here)
What is your nature of work, career progression, achievements and business impact?
What are your diversity factors?
What sort of extracurricular activities have you been involved in?
What are your career goals?
Answers to these make up your profile.
Depending on the strength of your profile, a minimum GMAT may be recommended.
With the current info I would suggest a 730+, but one would need to know more.

Do well.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

GoonerForever wrote:
Hi everyone,

Can someone please review my profile.

Currently i'm working in an instrumentation company with 4 years of experience ( 1.5 years of international experience )
10th-79.84
12th-80.83
Grad(B.E)-8.91/10

what should be my target score for ISB?

Thanks in advance! :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Thank you for taking the time out for evaluating my profile. I really appreciate it!

I plan on applying in a year or so! I would like to know what school I would be a good fit for.

Profile:
GMAT: 650 (Q48, V31) I think I could get 680 by the time that I apply
Black/Male/24 years (26 at matriculation)
EDUCATION: Bachelors in Computer Engineering minor Business administration GPA: 3.00/4.00
Patents Owned: 1

LOW GPA:
My 3.00 GPA was due to a serious car accident the summer before my sophomore year in which my best friend and I were T-boned by a semi-truck. I was forced to drink through a straw for 25 days due to my several injuries. I became depressed which resulted in my poor academic performance. Luckily, I was able to focus my time away from sports and realize my passion for business. I consider my GPA recovery to be one of my greatest accomplishments because I proved to myself that I have the grit to overcome adversity.

EXPERIENCE:
I started two startups in college. The first business I competed in several pitch competition for. I won $6000 at a pitch competition at citywide event, place top 3 in South Carolina a won $10,000 in prizes, and place top 40 out of 25,000 globally. For the second business I went from winning the best engineering senior design project to being accepted into a startup incubator (3% acceptance rate). I raised $130,000 at over $1,000,000 valuation through the incubator, investors, and kickstarter. I also built my team to 7 people and have presented to President Jimmy Carter along with Fortune 100 and business executives.

Also shortly after I graduated I was a leader for Georgia's largest startup and helped 500 businesses get started all in one day. I trained, certified and oversaw 20+ consultants for the event. This was all ran through a nonprofit.

Currently I am being contracted by one of arms forces (Army, Navy or Air Force) to lead their product intuitive for 2 major releasing soon. I basically the final say on what features are implemented and make sure the project is on track. I also have a machine learning project that I am developing on the side that I think has real potential.

I also trade stocks in my spare time. This is how I helped pay off my student loans. I have turned $13,000 in $35,000 with probably around 600 trades. I plan to save to $70k to pay for grad school. I am not sure if schools will even care that I can do this at all.

EXTRA CURRICULAR:
I mentor several people and help them with their startups. I have help people successfully raise capital and win pitch competitions.

I also taught a class to teach freshman how to adjust to college and mentored about 40 students over 2 years. This took about 15 hours a week.

LONG TERM GOAL:
Long term I would like start another company with someone I meet in business school and consult college students on startup as a way for me to give back. Then I would like to consult Fortune 500 companies for a few years while teaching 1-2 credit course on entrepreneurship at reputable college as a hobby. I really enjoy helping and teaching but I want to have a formal background on top of everything I have done on my own. I plan on starting a "gifted" high school in 15 or so years. Finally I would like to get into venture capital or at the very least be an angel investor.

I would like to apply to Emory, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Duke & Yale. I can get great LOR, anywhere from a previous associate dean of MBA program at one of those 5 schools to my co-founder and several other mentors. I don’t know how well I fair against competition at these schools. Is my profile even unique? Can you let me know my chances at each? What else should I do to make me look better for the future since I still have time. Also please recommend other schools if you think that I could be a better fit for.

Thanks in advance!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ShabariSS

Startup experience is always valued at ISB. Amazon is a good brand to have as well. We'd need more information to make a detailed profile evaluation but a few observations for you to hit the ground running:

- It definitely helps that you have good acads so far. ISB Class Average for GMAT is usually around 710, so that should be a good score to aim for, and of course, the higher the better.
- A key point in your application is going to be your goals and how what you have learned from your Amazon/Startup experience and how an MBA will help you reach your goals.
- We don't see extracurriculars mentioned in your profile, but please remember that these are going to be an essential component in demonstrating a well-rounded personality.

Feel free to reach out for a detailed and personalized review.

ShabariSS wrote:
Hi,

2 years

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: ISB '20
Send PM
Startup experience is always valued at ISB. Amazon is a good brand to have as well. We'd need more information to make a detailed profile evaluation but a few observations for you to hit the ground running:

- It definitely helps that you have good acads so far. ISB Class Average for GMAT is usually around 710, so that should be a good score to aim for, and of course, the higher the better.
- A key point in your application is going to be your goals and how what you have learned from your Amazon/Startup experience and how an MBA will help you reach your goals.
- We don't see extracurriculars mentioned in your profile, but please remember that these are going to be an essential component in demonstrating a well-rounded personality.

Thank you.
I do not have any other extracurriculars except being the student council president during college, mentoring/training a batch of 7-10 people at work and some volunteering work.
this is out of topic but which online course would you recommend to study?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ShabariSS,

Are you referring to taking up online courses for boosting extracurriculars? In that case, please remember that extracurriculars are essentially activities that you have done at work or beyond work in your regular life, that were NOT part of your job description. For instance, arranging sports day/events at work, playing a sport, having a blog or any other hobby that you diligently pursue and so on. From your profile, mentoring new trainees sounds like a good initiative if you have been doing it consistently, if it wasn't part of your job description and you were able to demonstrate an impact. Volunteering at an NGO is usually the most common extracurricular that applicants write about.

Online courses often add little value to our personalities, so they aren't really valued by the B-school. It doesn't matter what activity you choose. The important part is to be consistent at your extracurricular and be able to demonstrate some sort of an impact or end result.

ShabariSS wrote:

Thank you.
I do not have any other extracurriculars except being the student council president during college, mentoring/training a batch of 7-10 people at work and some volunteering work.
this is out of topic but which online course would you recommend to study?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  87   88   89   90   91  ...  307