Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 16:17 It is currently 02 May 2024, 16:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.84
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello abhinav2892

My friend if you were invited for an interview and then wait listed, that means ISB clearly saw potential in your profile.
ISB will evaluate your candidature based on 6 admission factors mentioned here
Instead of suggesting improvement to your profile, it would help to look at your last year's application to assess what went wrong (essays, stories, career goals or something else).
Based on this very limited info one can suggest you to improve your score by 30 points.
However that is not going to be enough. If you were rejected last year, you must show drastic improvements in other areas as well (especially the ones that led to your rejection).
The promotion in last one year could potentially help (the real story behind it actually)
The given stats don't conceal more than they reveal. You were taken to the interview stage with the same stats, so that means the actual devil lies in the detail of your story.
To identify that the best way to start is by looking at your past application.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

abhinav2892 wrote:
Hi experts

Kindly help

I have applied to ISB last year in R-1 and was waitlisted , Please find below my profile and suggest the much needed improvements which i may need to secure an admit this year.

Under Graduate percentage :- 74.6 % in petroleum engineering from School Of Petroleum Technology , Gandhinagar
GMAT Score :- 710 ( currently working to increase it by 20-30 points )
Work Ex :- 4 years
Industry :- Oil and Gas Industry
Sector :- Government

Have been involved in the projects department in the last three years & received 1 promotion last year
Currently working as the process engineer in the operations department

Was a member of the college cricket team and represented the university in various tournaments across the state
Presented a review paper on LNG technology in the university fest

Thanks & Regards

Abhinav
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Satya090

I believe I replied to you on the IIMA thread.
One think that I would like to add here is that to evaluate your profile one must look at last year's application since you were rejected.
ISB was interested in your profile and that is why they invited you for an interview.
If your 'stats' have not changed much from last year then that means it is the qualitative side of your profile that must have been the deciding factor. (Your GMAT & grades are obviously not the reason of a ding)
Unless your profile has changed drastically in any of the info given by you, it is best to share your past year's application to review what went wrong and suggest a course correction.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Satya090 wrote:
Kindly evaluate my profile for ISB A

I am a reapplicant. I was interviewed last time.

Background: Worked at Tata Consultancy Services. Currently working at Deloitte
Undergrad Information : B.Tech In ECE& UG GPA: 9.08
GMAT: 740 ( Q49 , V40)
Work experience and leadership : 4 YEARS 2 MONTHS , I led a development team of twelve person in successful implementation of our firm's 1st Cloud based Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system in 24 diverse business region for a UK-based multinational.

Responsible for overall management of project lifecycle. I led the development team starting from requirement analysis, discovery phase to final delivery to the client. It also involved working closely with clients and cross-functional departments to communicate project statuses and proposals.

Community and others: been part NGOs and led teams in various social service activities.
Post MBA goals : Consultant in Strategy and Operations
Director
Director
Send PM
Hi Satya090, great GMAT score and an ideal experience-duration, all augur well for your chances of another interview invite this year!

Obviously last time around as well, ISB found you to be worthy of inviting to the interview round. You've not shared your interview experience; that would have perhaps have given us more insight into what went wrong the last time around.

A very key component of your application this time, will be re-applicant essay, wherein you need to demonstrate what changed in your profile/thought-process since your last application. Unfortunately, it looks like this time around, ISB is not offering specific feedback to candidates who could not make it the last time around; that feedback would have been ideal, to build upon the re-applicant essay.

What also caught my attention in your post, was that your post MBA goals are Strategy and Operations Consulting! These goals do seem to be bit of a far cry from your experience so far, in IT Services domain. Were these your post MBA goals the last time around as well? I am wondering if your perhaps not able to defend these goals during the interview stage.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hi abhinav2892, you almost made it to ISB the last time around and so there really is nothing very drastically different that you perhaps need to do this year.

While re-applicant essay is something that you must focus on, the entire application needs a fresh perspective. You are also doing the right thing by working upon improving your GMAT score by 20-30 points. Frankly your current GMAT score is also quite decent, but then, we are looking at that just one minor (almost trivial) differentiator that will make you cross the line! Your improved GMAT score might prove to be that differentiator.

While I don't get any glimpse of your post-MBA goals, I am assuming that your post-MBA goals would be in Core Operations or as Operations Consultant.
--
Regards,

This year's ISB Essay Analysis
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Satya090 wrote:

Work experience and leadership : 4 YEARS 2 MONTHS , I led a development team of twelve person in successful implementation of our firm's 1st Cloud based Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system in 24 diverse business region for a UK-based multinational.

Responsible for overall management of project lifecycle. I led the development team starting from requirement analysis, discovery phase to final delivery to the client. It also involved working closely with clients and cross-functional departments to communicate project statuses and proposals.

Community and others: been part NGOs and led teams in various social service activities.

Hi Satya090,

We think you have a strong profile, so it is difficult to identify probable cause without reading your application or hearing your interview experience. However, on the face of it, it could be that your candidature did not stand apart in a highly competitive category: IT/IT Services.

As next steps, focus on identifying your strengths and make sure you can link them to your goals. It also seems like a career goal such as Consulting was not in line with your past experience and qualities that you showcased. Don't lose hope. Writing concise and well-knitted essays can help you sail through.

Feel free to reach out for a detailed evaluation and personalized guidance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi All,

I am a female ,Chartered Accountant with 5.5 years of experience of working with Companies like PwC and Deloitte , in audit practice. These companies are known to be top companies in audit profile.
Now I decided to pursue my long term goal of doing an MBA in ISB. I plan to take my GMAT very shortly. But I am not sure if my Audit profile suits the program and if yes, what is the GMAT score I must target? My academics are :
SSC - 87%
+2 - 91%
CA - 60%( All levels cleared in first attempt).
Please review my profile.
Thanks in advance.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Aayushi

You have some positives going for you. ISB will evaluate your candidature on 6 admission factors mentioned here.
1. Good past academic scores. Though it will help understand what are you getting in your mock test scores.
2. Strong brand of the companies that you've worked with.
3. Your role gives you some brownie points as well. However to give a detailed review one would need to understand more than just your role years or company. What has been your career progress and key achievements in these 5 years?
4. Also info around extracurricular will be extremely helpful as it further tells about your diversity factors. All the more so as the very first essay asks you to talk about your diversity this year.
5. Most important piece of the admissions puzzle is Career Goals. What are your future plans and why is an MBA an absolute necessity to achieve these plans? This info will be most useful to assess your overall profile. You can supplement yourresearch on career goals here.
Although it is always tricky to recommend a GMAT score based on limited info, it is always a good idea to aim for a score higher than the class average. So I'll recommend a 720+, plus your past academic background shows potential to score high as well.
The info given covers a quantitative angle of your profile. However ISB is more interested in the qualitative side of your profile that is stories.
You have a strong profile, if you aim for a 720+ GMAT you should stand a fighting chance.
Final outcome will depend on how well you tie all of the above in your written applications.
Best

Varun
[url]MBAkarma.com[/url]

guptaayushi wrote:
Hi All,

I am a female ,Chartered Accountant with 5.5 years of experience of working with Companies like PwC and Deloitte , in audit practice. These companies are known to be top companies in audit profile.
Now I decided to pursue my long term goal of doing an MBA in ISB. I plan to take my GMAT very shortly. But I am not sure if my Audit profile suits the program and if yes, what is the GMAT score I must target? My academics are :
SSC - 87%
+2 - 91%
Thanks in advance.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Satya090 wrote:

Hi Satya090,

Thanks for sharing your query here.

Of course, if you were interviewed, there was clearly nothing wrong with your essays, as well as your candidature. The GMAT score is certainly above the ISB average and perfectly in place.

We perceive your career goals to be a bit of an issue here. Switching from the IT domain to Strategy and Operations is not really a logical shift. Besides, strategy and operations is in itself a very broad field and in all probability you were not able to defend this well. You will need to re-think this part of your application besides ensuring that you portray how you have built your profile in the last one-year in an appropriate manner.

Thanks.

All the best!
Send PM
Expert Reply
guptaayushi wrote:
Hi All,

SSC - 87%
+2 - 91%
Thanks in advance.

Hi guptaayushi,

Thanks for writing in.

With strong academics and professional experience with the Big 5, you certainly have a lot working for you. Of course, a more detailed evaluation would require details such as how your career progressed and the kind of achievements you have had. Nonetheless, to answer your question - yes, your profile does suit an MBA program, provided you are able to speak about your need for an MBA and how the same fits in with your short-term and long-term goals :-)

The GMAT is certainly an important criteria and you must definitely be looking at a score upwards of 720. However, this is just one component of your application and your essays hold a lot of value as well. Hence, reserve at least a month to work on a set of essays that are reflective of your strength, yout fit for the ISB MBA, and career goals wherein your short-term goals and long-term aspirations seamlessly fit in together.

If you are able to take care of the above-mentioned points, you will have a good chance at making it to ISB!

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussio, please do get in touch with us.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi All,

I am planning to take the GMAT in next 1 month and apply to ISB in round 1.

Academics:
Class 10th: 87%
Class 12th: 83%
5 yr B.Tech & M.Tech Program from IIT Roorkee in Chemical Engg 2012 - 6.3 CGPA

Work Ex:
1. 4 years in Chemical Engineering Consultancy
Role: 1.5 yrs as Project Engineer & 2.5 yrs as Process Engineer
Project Engineer:
Resolving EPC client construction queries.
Ensuring timely delivery of delieverables.
Conducting Project Review Meeting with Management and Engineering Team

Process Engineer:
Preparation of process engineering deliverables
Delivered 2 projects as process lead engineer
Prepared Detailed Feasibility Report of a new Unit for Refinery

2. Two yrs in Technology Company as Process Engineer
Review of customer's requirements and preparation of techno-commercial proposals
Preparation of basic engineering package
Supervision of plant startup
Trouble-shooting of plant operations

ExtraCurricular
Trekking in Uttarakhand
Mountain Climbing Course Participation
Convenor of Department for Tech Fest in IIT Roorkee

What should I target my GMAT score for getting admitted in ISB (a) without scholarship (b) with scholarship?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
pt1791 wrote:
Hi All,

Academics:

Work Ex:
Project Engineer:

Process Engineer:

Review of customer's requirements and preparation of techno-commercial proposals

ExtraCurricular
Trekking in Uttarakhand

What should I target my GMAT score for getting admitted in ISB (a) without scholarship (b) with scholarship?

Hi pt1791,

We see a lot of positives in your profile. Good academics (the IIT brand definitely helps), a well-defined role and a structured thought process.

We're still missing information on your career goals, and this may be the key to securing admission at ISB. Not only should your goals be linked to your strengths and achievements, they should also be the next natural step in your career progression.

Further, please note that GMAT is just one step of the evaluation process. A score closer to the class average of 710 should be a good target, and a higher one always helps.

For scholarships, ISB provides merit-based and need-based scholarships, and significantly higher GMAT score would help you aim for the merit-based ones. It would be good to remember here that even for the merit-based scholarships, applications are judged holistically and not only on one or two academic parameters i.e. based on the overall scores at the end of the selection process.

Feel free to reach out for personalized guidance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi Apphelp

What should be the higher GMAT score which can increase chances for being considered for merit based scholarship?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
pt1791 wrote:
Hi Apphelp

What should be the higher GMAT score which can increase chances for being considered for merit based scholarship?

Hi pt1791,

Unfortunately, there is no right answer to that question. Like we said in our earlier post, merit-based scholarships are given on overall profile evaluation and not on scores such as GMAT or GRE. Therefore it may happen that an applicant with a score of 770 does not get an admission or a scholarship.

Our advice to you would be to go all out and build all aspects of your profile to increase your chances of an admission and a scholarship. Having said that, aiming for higher scores such as a 750+ would definitely help your cause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
ss1990 wrote:
Hi Guys!!

Thanks for starting this post.

I will be applying to ISB this time and below is my profile snapshot.

Just wanted to check with you, how does my profile looks from ISB standpoint, much appreciate your reply.

GMAT Score: 680 (Q50 V31 IR5 AW5)
Graduation: Engineering - 65.66%
XII: 80.83%
X: 80%

Total Years of WE: 6.1 Years

Work Experience Details:
1st Job: Manufacturing/Automobile
Duration: 2 Years
Role: Strategic Sourcing, Vendor Management, Post Merger Sourcing Management, Spend Analytics, Supply Chain Management etc.

2nd Job: Banking Industry
Role: e-procurement, vendor management, supplier integration, supply chain management, MIS, etc.

3rd Job: Insurance Sector
Role: Business Transitions from US and Phillipines, Strategic Sourcing for - Claims, Business Services, Travel, Professional Services and Technology, Software Asset Management, Vendor Management, e-procurement, Category and Spend Analytics, etc.

International Experience: 1 Month (USA)

Community Collaboration:
1. Leading a chapter for food preservation and distribution to slums
2. Volunteered in XIX Commonwealth Games Delhi 2010
3. Student Head at university for Techincal fest - Managed a team of 300 people
4. Organiser for a TEDx event
5. Chairperson IEEE Student Chapter at college level

Do you think that my GMAT score is good enough to apply or I need to retake the same.

Thanks, ss1990

Hi ss1990,

You have a very interesting work profile that includes experiences in vendor management and supply chain management across three different industries. We believe this is will add to the diversity quotient at ISB. In your essays and CV, you should focus on highlighting how your experience makes you stand out from rest of the applicant pool and the additional value that you bring to the classroom.

We understand that you're keen on ISB, however, you have an equally strong chance to make it to the one-year programs at IIM A, B, and C.
Post MBA, you stand a good chance of getting placement opportunities at leading e-commerce and logistic firms that recruit MBAs for multiple roles.

We at “BeyondtheGMAT” provide a free evaluation of your profile and guide you in selecting your target business schools. We help you shape an all-rounded application that resonates well with the adcoms at each B school.

Connect with us through call or https://gmatclub.com/chat @+91-7022839859 or email us at beyondthegmat@gmail.com.
You can also visit our website : beyondthegmat.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Satya090 wrote:

Hi Satya090,

In your essays, you need to highlight your leadership abilities and your contribution in cloud implementation. Further, your high GPA and GMAT score demonstrate your academic prowess.

To evaluate your chances for the current application cycle, we would require more information on your previous application and interview.

In addition to IIM A & ISB, you stand a really good chance at IIM B EPGP and NTU (Singapore).
Send PM
Expert Reply
pt1791 wrote:
Hi All,

Academics:

Work Ex:
Project Engineer:

Process Engineer:

ExtraCurricular
Trekking in Uttarakhand

Hi pt1791,

Thanks for your query.

You have a fair bit working for you considering your academic pedigree, leadership experience at work, and extra-curricular activities.

The CGPA is a bit of a concern and in order to offset the same, we would recommend a GMAT score upwards of 720. This will also take your score a bit above the ISB average and boost your chances significantly. The GMAT is, however, only one part of the application and much will depend on the projection of your career goals and the presentation of your skills and strengths in your essays. Hence, do spend at least a month on structuring a set of stellar essays wherein your goals sync in with your story.

With regard to the scholarships - ISB has merit-based and need-based scholarships and this time the scholarships are only open to people applying in the first round. Your chances for the same will be determined by your overall case and not on your test scores alone.

Hope this helped!

All the best!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Satya090 wrote:

Hi Satya090

- Your GMAT and undergrad academics are strong, and will be a significant positive for you.
- Your work experience falls into the familiar Indian IT bracket, so differentiation in your essays will be key here. The social experience helps, but CRM and project management are common areas. You will need to dig deeper within these to find the right points to highlight.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  89   90   91   92   93  ...  307