Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 505 [23]
Given Kudos: 1148
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [5]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 505 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 505 [0]
Send PM
Re: Metropolis-area dry cleaners have had a steady increase in business [#permalink]
Sandeep AVK wrote:
Is nt it E?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Yes it is E

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Re: Metropolis-area dry cleaners have had a steady increase in business [#permalink]
Is it A
As shows that recent increase in business last year has not effected Neumans Dry Cleaning

Sent from my SM-A510F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [1]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
Metropolis-area dry cleaners have had a steady increase in business [#permalink]
Kudos
gmatFalcon wrote:
I don't get it

The initial statement tells us that market Situation for dry cleaners has been going up in the past year. Statement E gives us the Information that despite an increase in advertising Neuman was less busy. Combine that with the market uptrend and you can infer that the Business isn't going relatively well for this company.

Thus we can conclude that an expension of Neumann's facilities doesn't solve any problems and will most likely not lead to an increased market share.

Hope that helps :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vishwajeet2015 wrote:
Is it A
As shows that recent increase in business last year has not effected Neumans Dry Cleaning

Sent from my SM-A510F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

A strengthen the argument
Facilities are always at high capacity

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
It cannot be A because, this is infact supporting it by stating that the facilities are at its maximum capacity

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
why answer is not B? it gives another reason that despite facility expansion, neuman would not be able to capture market share
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
broall, carcass. Please explain why option A is incorrect and option E is correct?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Yeah, good question - note that the main fact we have that suggests that this is a good idea is about the industry/market as a whole, but not about Neuman's specifically:

Metropolis-area dry cleaners have had a steady increase in business over the past year,

So the real gap in the argument is whether Neuman's is a part of this steady increase or not (for example you could say that "sales of mobile devices has surged since 2006" but if it's mostly iPhones and Samsungs, then it doesn't mean that Nokia is doing better today than it was back then).

With (A), note that it specifically calls out that even though Neuman's market share (percentage of all the city's business) is down, its stores are always busy. This mean that there's sufficient demand for what it's doing. This is likely evidence that the plan will work (if you're maxed out on capacity today, then adding capacity tomorrow seems like a good idea), but at the very least it doesn't weaken the argument.

With (E), there's evidence that Neuman's is not part of this surge: business is booming everywhere but Neuman's is less busy than it used to be, showing that it's not a beneficiary of the surge. If it's not maxing out its current capacity, there's no reason to believe that adding more capacity - without any other changes, as the last sentence shows that it will not make - will lead to an increase in business.

So basically the difference: (A) shows that Neuman's is part of the trend or at least as busy as it can handle right now. (E) shows that it's not part of the trend, and therefore can't expect that more capacity will help it capitalize on that trend.
thanks

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
gmatFalcon wrote:
Metropolis-area dry cleaners have had a steady increase in business over the past year, and in order to take advantage of this trend and expand its market share, Neuman’s Dry Cleaning is planning to expand its facilities to enable it to handle a higher volume of garments. Neuman’s will maintain the same prices and weekly specials that it has employed for the past several years.

The potential success of Neuman’s plan to increase its market share is most called into question by which of the following, if true?

A. Neuman’s share of the local dry cleaning market has declined over the past year, but its dry cleaning facilities are always at maximum capacity.
B. The average turnaround time to get a garment dry cleaned at Neuman’s is slightly longer now than it was a year ago.
C. Most customers are not aware that Mr. Neuman sold his dry cleaning company to a franchise five years ago and no longer runs the facility himself.
D. Neuman’s is one of the two most popular dry cleaners in Metropolis.
E. Despite a recent increase in advertising, Neuman’s has been slightly less busy over the past six months than it was previously.

I answered A and my thought process is as follows (if someone could explain where I made a logical mistake please let me know):

In 2017, market share was at 100%.
In 2018, market share declined to 10%.

If in 2017 they can handle 50% of orders (hence being bottle necked), now in 2019 if they expand they can handle 100% of the orders, but because their market share declined to only 10%, there is no need to expand. Please let me know why this is wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Yeah, good question - note that the main fact we have that suggests that this is a good idea is about the industry/market as a whole, but not about Neuman's specifically:

Metropolis-area dry cleaners have had a steady increase in business over the past year,

So the real gap in the argument is whether Neuman's is a part of this steady increase or not (for example you could say that "sales of mobile devices has surged since 2006" but if it's mostly iPhones and Samsungs, then it doesn't mean that Nokia is doing better today than it was back then).

With (A), note that it specifically calls out that even though Neuman's market share (percentage of all the city's business) is down, its stores are always busy. This mean that there's sufficient demand for what it's doing. This is likely evidence that the plan will work (if you're maxed out on capacity today, then adding capacity tomorrow seems like a good idea), but at the very least it doesn't weaken the argument.

With (E), there's evidence that Neuman's is not part of this surge: business is booming everywhere but Neuman's is less busy than it used to be, showing that it's not a beneficiary of the surge. If it's not maxing out its current capacity, there's no reason to believe that adding more capacity - without any other changes, as the last sentence shows that it will not make - will lead to an increase in business.

So basically the difference: (A) shows that Neuman's is part of the trend or at least as busy as it can handle right now. (E) shows that it's not part of the trend, and therefore can't expect that more capacity will help it capitalize on that trend.

I disagree with your explanation . This is not really a GMAT like question. In, E , key words are 'slightly less busy than previously' which means it may have been busy in the first 6 months of the year which in turn means that N's business was also going well. What is only says is that advertising has not made much of a difference. A looks the best option to me. Since facilities are at full capacity, further expansion will not make any difference and hence this weakens!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
KS15 wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

I disagree with your explanation . This is not really a GMAT like question. In, E , key words are 'slightly less busy than previously' which means it may have been busy in the first 6 months of the year which in turn means that N's business was also going well. What is only says is that advertising has not made much of a difference. A looks the best option to me. Since facilities are at full capacity, further expansion will not make any difference and hence this weakens!

Option A: states that Neuman is running full capacity at present and he is also not seeing much business; Therefore, if suppose Neuman increase its current capacity than it might be able to accomodate more clothes and hence increase its business. But there also, chances that after increase in capacity also the customers dont turn up to Neuman for service, than the plan will not work.
Therefore A gives an answer whose result is not clear as per the text in Option A.

Option E: it states that Neuman is seeing a fall in its market from last 6 months, BUT passage states IN general LAUNDY market is seeing a increase in Market, so there could be a case that the current market trend is not applicable to NEUMAN, and hence exactly same is stated in Option E: That Neuman saw a fall in last 6 months and therefore, even if it increase its current capacity it wont increase it business.

ALWYZ TRY TO GET THE QUESTION correct, irrespective of time.....TRUST ME .....your accuracy will improve,leading to answering in less time
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yash312 wrote:
KS15 wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

Option A: states that Neuman is running full capacity at present and he is also not seeing much business; Therefore, if suppose Neuman increase its current capacity than it might be able to accomodate more clothes and hence increase its business. But there also, chances that after increase in capacity also the customers dont turn up to Neuman for service, than the plan will not work.
Therefore A gives an answer whose result is not clear as per the text in Option A.

Option E: it states that Neuman is seeing a fall in its market from last 6 months, BUT passage states IN general LAUNDY market is seeing a increase in Market, so there could be a case that the current market trend is not applicable to NEUMAN, and hence exactly same is stated in Option E: That Neuman saw a fall in last 6 months and therefore, even if it increase its current capacity it wont increase it business.

ALWYZ TRY TO GET THE QUESTION correct, irrespective of time.....TRUST ME .....your accuracy will improve,leading to answering in less time
thanks for the comment

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts