Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [8]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [6]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did his br [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did his brother Clark, Clark had less money overall.

(A) Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did his brother Clark, Clark had less money overall.

(B) Even though Carter had fewer quarters than his brother, Clark, in his piggybank, Clark had fewer money overall.
- "money" is non countable : for conuntable = fewer ; for non countable= less

(C) Even though Carter had less quarters than his brother, Clark, in his piggybank, Clark had less money overall.

(D) Even though Carter had less quarters in his piggybank than did his brother Clark, Clark had less money overall.

(E) Even though Carter had fewer quarters than his brother, Clark, in his piggybank, Clark had less money overall.[/quote]
- This seems as if "clark" was in Carter's piggybankk !!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Re: Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did his br [#permalink]
Here "quarters" is countable; therefore use of fewer is correct.
And we are talking about total money; thus, money is uncountable. Use of less is correct.
Sentence construction is correct in A and D.

A fulfills all three condition. A is correct choice here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did his br [#permalink]
I think E is the correct answer. In option A, Carter had fewer quarters is not parallel to than did his brother, Clark. So I have selected E.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [1]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did his br [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did his brother Clark, Clark had less money overall.

1. "Quarters" are countable so we use "fewer" in place of "less" ---- Eliminate C and D.

2. "Money" comes under non countable items so we use "less" and not "fewer" ---- Eliminate B.

3. "Clark" is not in the piggy bank. So misplaced modifier ---- Eliminate B, C, and E.

4. Comparison is in between number of quarters both brothers have and not in between quarters and Clark ----- Eliminate B, C, and E.

Remember that point 3 and 4 have two different errors.

(A) Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggy bank than did his brother Clark, Clark had less money overall.

(B) Even though Carter had fewer quarters than his brother, Clark, in his piggybank, Clark had fewer money overall.

(C) Even though Carter had less quarters than his brother, Clark, in his piggybank, Clark had less money overall.

(D) Even though Carter had less quarters in his piggybank than did his brother Clark, Clark had less money overall.

(E) Even though Carter had fewer quarters than his brother, Clark, in his piggybank, Clark had less money overall.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Answer is A .

Fewer is right , less is wrong .

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ArupRS wrote:
I think E is the correct answer. In option A, Carter had fewer quarters is not parallel to than did his brother, Clark. So I have selected E.

sudarshan22, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, aragonn, hazelnut, Vyshak, generis

Dear experts,

Could you please help me to understand how two parts which are compared here are parallel.

Regards,
Arup
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
ArupRS - Let me first try to help you.

Fewer vs less - Question is about quarters and they are countable. So C and D is wrong.

ellipsis - B and E fall into this category. If you want to know about the concept go through following links.
https://e-gmat.com/blogs/ellipses-in-co ... ing-verbs/
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ellipsis-sub ... 46823.html

Lets come to your question now.
Quote:

I am not sure why you thought these two are not in parallel. both parts are in past tense. Did you thought 'had' part in past perfect tense. two actions are compared over here and both are in past tense. for soving this question you need info on ellipsis, which can be found on above links.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Send PM
aragonn wrote:
ArupRS - Let me first try to help you.

Fewer vs less - Question is about quarters and they are countable. So C and D is wrong.

ellipsis - B and E fall into this category. If you want to know about the concept go through following links.
https://e-gmat.com/blogs/ellipses-in-co ... ing-verbs/
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ellipsis-sub ... 46823.html

Lets come to your question now.
Quote:

I am not sure why you thought these two are not in parallel. both parts are in past tense. Did you thought 'had' part in past perfect tense. two actions are compared over here and both are in past tense. for soving this question you need info on ellipsis, which can be found on above links.

aragonn : Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I thought comparison should be like - Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did had his brother Clark
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aragonn wrote:
Did you thought 'had' part in past perfect tense

Indeed, this is a common confusion. had is used as a simple past tense verb and not as as past perfect tense.

In this sentence, had basically denotes an act of possession and hence, is used as an action verb here.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this concept of has/have/had. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

have_had.pdf [16.99 KiB]
Downloaded 108 times

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
ArupRS wrote:
I thought comparison should be like - Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did had his brother Clark

[url=https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=ArupRS]
ArupRS[/url] , just to add one detail to aragonn 's answer:

The construction that you thought was wrong is both correct and common.
The verbs do, have, and be can perform many roles in a sentence.
Those verbs get confusing. :)

The verb "to do" can substitute for any other verb in English, but the first verb cannot be an auxiliary
i.e. cannot coupled with other verbs/verbals.

Had/have/has as a "main" verb (not an auxiliary such as has been, had saved, etc.)

-- The Oxford Dictionary Online, here contains seven definitions of have as a main verb.
The examples are good.
-- Another definition Cambridge Dictionary Online is HERE.

• When did can substitute for had? If had is the main verb.
Had in the cases below is a main verb that means to possess or own.
Did can substitute for had.
-- Correct: Carter had fewer quarters than Clark did.
-- Correct: Carter had fewer quarters than did Clark.

• When did cannot substitute for had? If had is an auxiliary verb.
Had in the cases below is an auxiliary verb and cannot be replaced with a one-word to do verb (has, have, had).
-- Wrong: Carter had collected fewer quarters than Clark did.
-- Wrong: Carter has been collecting quarters longer than Clark does.

Finally, the construction that you did not like initially is fairly common on the GMAT.
The subject verb inversion can look strange, as can the substitution of did for had, but both are correct.

Correct: Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did his brother Clark . . .

generis : awesome explanation. Cleared all my doubts. Thank you so much.

Regards,
Arup

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
EducationAisle wrote:
aragonn wrote:
Did you thought 'had' part in past perfect tense

Indeed, this is a common confusion. had is used as a simple past tense verb and not as as past perfect tense.is
In this sentence, had basically denotes an act of possession and hence, is used as an action verb here.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this concept of has/have/had. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.

Although I didn't think that "had" was in the past perfect tense, I missed to treat it as an action verb. I couldn't differentiate b/w main verb and auxiliary verb. This confusion has been cleared by generis.

I have gone thru the pdf that you have attached. This is a very good piece of writing to clear the common confusion from which most of the GMAT aspirants suffer.

Also, the link shared by aragonn helped to understand the intricacies associated with elliptical construction.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(A) Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did his brother Clark, Clark had less money overall.

(E) Even though Carter had fewer quarters than his brother, Clark, in his piggybank, Clark had less money overall.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

A. Even though Carter had fewer quarters in his piggybank than did his brother Clark, Clark had less money overall.

This question requires you to access your knowledge of the correct usage of fewer and less. Use fewer when referring to plural entities, such as M&Ms, students, sunflowers, and quarters. Use less to reference singular entities, such as water, damage, appreciation, and money. So the proper construction in this sentence is “fewer quarters” and “less money”; eliminate Choices (B), (C), and (D). The language in Choice (E) is potentially confusing. The descriptive phrase “in his piggybank” seems to refer to Clark rather than the quarters. Choice (A) presents clearer construction.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts