Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Subject Verb Agreementx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [6]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one issue at a time, and narrow it down to the right option quickly! To begin, here is the original sentence with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

(A) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found
(B) and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding
(C) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find
(D) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found
(E) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

After a quick glance over the options, there are a few major differences we can focus on:

1. it vs. them (pronoun agreement)
2. to count / counting (verbs or meaning)
3. have found / finding / find / found (verb tense)

Let's start with #1 on our list: it vs. them. No matter which one we choose, it will eliminate 2-3 options right away. To figure out which one we need to use, let's ask ourselves what the pronoun it/them is referring to. So...what are sub-languages and dialects considered "within?"

Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

There you go! The pronoun is referring back to the singular word "language!" Now, let's rule out any options that use a plural pronoun instead:

(A) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found
(B) and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding
(C) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find
(D) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found
(E) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

We can rule out options B, D, & E because they use the plural pronoun "them" to refer to a singular noun "language." Pretty easy, right? We just eliminated 3 options really quickly!

Now that we've got this narrowed down to only 2 options, let's tackle #2 & #3 on our list. They both have to do with finding the right verb tenses and creating a clear, concise meaning, so let's read them over and see which one does this better:

This is CORRECT! It doesn't have any problems with pronoun agreement, the verbs make logical sense, and the meaning is clear!

This is INCORRECT because there is an agreement problem with the pronoun "it" that people are trying to count. The pronoun "it" is singular, but it's referring to the plural phrase "sub-languages or dialects."

There you have it - option A was the correct choice all along!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
A. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found

I don't love the sound of this answer choice, but SC isn't ever about sound, so... whatever.

The "it" is perfect here. What are the singular nouns that precede "it"? "A language" is the only reasonable option -- and that makes perfect sense. "Those" generally works better with an antecedent of some sort, but it's basically just a synonym for "people" here, and that's acceptable. Keep (A).

Quote:
B. and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding

"Them" is confusing: does it refer to "dialects", "sub-languages," or all the way back to "languages" at the beginning of the sentence? I also can't figure out why we would want to conjoin these phrases with "with" -- that doesn't make much sense. (A) is much better, so (B) is out.

Quote:
C. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

I'm cool with the first "it", but the second "it" doesn't work: "those who have tried counting the language..."? We're trying to count languages, and that needs to be plural. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
D. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found

Same problem with "them" as in answer choice (B). Plus, I don't see any good reason to use past tense here. The use of present perfect in (A) makes more sense, since people have presumably attempted to count languages in the past, and continue to do so in the present. (D) is gone.

Quote:
E. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

Just a hybrid of the worst elements of (B) and (C). (E) is out, and (A) is correct.

In C, why you were ok with first 'It' but not the second.

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
We definitely need to count languages (plural). zoezhuyan is right that we can't "count the number" of something. In any case, "the number" is never said in the sentence. We definitely can't refer to a noun that isn't there! That leaves us with no logical antecedent for the pronoun "it" in C. Also, the GMAT doesn't tend to "reassign" pronouns. Once "it" means "a language" in this sentence, it's not going to mean something else later in that same sentence.

As for the first use of "it," there's no ambiguity. At that point, the only singular noun we've seen aside from "language" is world (much earlier), and I hope no one thinks "it" refers to "world"!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:

Take another look at (C): "and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find." "It" seems to refer to "a language." So let's substitute "language" for the pronoun in each case:

1) the sub-languages or dialects within a language

This makes sense. A language can have sub-languages or dialects within it.

2) those who have tried counting a language

It doesn't really make any sense to count a language, does it? It's far more logical to "count" something when we're referring to multiple entities.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
I'm not a native English speaker. Could somebody tell me the difference between 'Try to do sth' and 'Try doing sth', please?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Take another look at (C): "and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find." "It" seems to refer to "a language." So let's substitute "language" for the pronoun in each case:

It doesn't really make any sense to count a language, does it? It's far more logical to "count" something when we're referring to multiple entities.

I hope that helps!

Given that we count "something", why isn't there "something" following "count" in the correct answer choice?
Is it because the subject to be counted is known implicitly? or
Is it because "count" itself can be a transitive or an intransitive verb?

A. and the sublanguages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found

Thanks for helping!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hyden wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

I hope that helps!

Given that we count "something", why isn't there "something" following "count" in the correct answer choice?
Is it because the subject to be counted is known implicitly? or
Is it because "count" itself can be a transitive or an intransitive verb?

A. and the sublanguages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found

Thanks for helping!

hyden wrote:
... Is it because the subject to be counted is known implicitly?...

Yes, exactly! Clearly we are talking about a count of the number of languages in the world. To restate the thing being counted would be repetitive and unnecessary. The same is true here:

• I have no idea how many people visited my tortilla factory last fall because I didn't bother to count.
  • I have no idea how many people visited my tortilla factory last fall because I didn't bother to count how many people visited my tortilla factory last fall.

The meaning is perfectly clear in the first example. Restating the thing being counted, as in the second example, is repetitive and unnecessary.

I hope that helps!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM