Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Subject Verb Agreementx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
A number is a way to describe what we count. I can't count "100." I can count some languages and determine that there are 100 of them. I'm counting the languages, not the number itself. Similarly, I can measure your foot to see what shoe size you are, but I can't measure your shoe size, which is an abstract concept.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
nightwing79 wrote:
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

(A) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found

(B) and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding

(C) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

(D) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found

(E) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

This question is based on Pronoun Usage and Idiomatic Usage.

A vertical scan of the options shows us that Options A, B, and C begin with the conjunction ‘and’. Options D and E begin with the conjunction ‘or’.

If we detect the correlative conjunction ‘between’ placed before the underlined portion begins, the choice between the conjunctions ‘and’ and ‘or’ at the beginning of the options is very easy. The appropriate pair of correlative conjunctions is ‘between-and’.

Furthermore, the pronoun ‘them’ in Option D is ambiguous as the pronoun cannot refer to the ‘language’. The same pronoun error is repeated in Option E. So, Options D and E can be eliminated.

Option B also contains the ambiguous pronoun ‘them’. So, Option B can also be eliminated.

Between Options A and C, there is a lack of parallelism of tenses in Option C. The two verbs “have tried” and “find” should be parallel because they convey two actions closely related to each other. So, Option C can be eliminated.

The pronoun ‘it’ is appropriate because the antecedent of the pronoun is the singular noun ‘language’. The verbs ‘have tried’ and ‘have found’ are parallel to each other. Therefore, A is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
[fraction]GMATNinja[/fraction] wrote:
Quote:
In C, why you were ok with first 'It' but not the second.

Posted from my mobile device

Take another look at (C): "and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find." "It" seems to refer to "a language." So let's substitute "language" for the pronoun in each case:

1) the sub-languages or dialects within a language

This makes sense. A language can have sub-languages or dialects within it.

2) those who have tried counting a language

It doesn't really make any sense to count a language, does it? It's far more logical to "count" something when we're referring to multiple entities.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
When IT refers back to 'x', then it (IT) can also refers back to 'y', isn't it? So, if the first IT refers to 'language' then the 2nd IT can refers back to 'number of languages' too. So, what's wrong if the 2nd IT refers back to 'number of languages'?
Thanks__

Two issues here. First, while you're right that there's no rule that two identical pronouns can't refer to different antecedents, it's awfully confusing if they do. Anytime you have a choice between an option that's clear and obvious and one that requires multiple reads to figure out what the heck is going on, you'd always prefer the former.

Second, the phrase "a number of languages" never appears in the sentence -- a pronoun can't refer to something that isn't there!

The takeaway: don't overthink pronoun usage. If you see a pronoun, try to find a logical antecedent within the sentence. If you find one, move on to other issues. If there is no logical antecedent, get rid of the option. If you find a logical antecedent, but it's confusing or requires a fair amount of work to locate, don't eliminate the option quite yet, but be on the lookout for an alternative that clarifies the issue.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
huchanbert wrote:
GMATNinja

I am just curious about "tried to count / tried counting" in A/B
Are they both correct?

I know they have different meanings.
So in this context, is "tried to count" better than "tried counting"?

As Dmitry Farber noted in an earlier post, when we try to do something, we are making an attempt that may or may not be successful. But when we try doing something, we're actually performing the action, perhaps to see if we enjoy it.

For instance, "Tim tried to make raw-cookie-dough pancakes," suggests that Tim made an attempt to make this type of pancake, but may have failed. (How do you cook the pancake without cooking the raw cookie dough?)

But "Tim tried making raw-cookie-dough pancakes," suggests that Tim was trying out a new activity to see if he enjoyed it, and in this case, he succeeded in making the pancakes. (The key is adding the dough at the last possible moment. Also, please don't do this, because salmonella is a thing. :) )

In this SC problem, it makes more sense to write "tried to count" because we're told that nobody knows exactly how many languages there are -- this means that an attempt was made, but that the attempt may not have been entirely successful. This is more logical than "tried counting," which suggests that someone successfully counted all the languages because he wanted to see if it would be fun.

That said, if you didn't feel comfortable differentiating between those subtle meaning differences, there are some nice, juicy pronoun/logic issues to use as decision points instead.

I hope that helps!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
akt715 wrote:
As per my understanding , between X and Y is the correct structure even we have to add some "OR" condition, it always affects the later part ( Y in this case). So I am not sure how A is correct.

Hello akt715,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, we would like to elaborate on the meaning of the "between A and B" structure seen in Option A.

What this structure refers to is the act of distinguishing either between a language and the sub-languages within it or between a language and the dialects within it.

In other words, here, "A" is "a language" and "B" is "the sub-languages or dialects within it"; B consists of two parts, both of which are contrasted against A.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 357
Send PM
Bookmarks
1. First of "between.." Jumps out to me. "between" requires "and". Also a Parallelism trigger.

Eliminate D and E.

2. pronoun "them" logical refer to "a language". But Noun is singular. So Eliminate B, D and E.

3. In option C, "who have tried counting it.." here "it" has no clear refferent. Also since "it" is a singular pronoun. How can one count "it"?. for counting one need plural noun/pronoun.

usage of Present tense " typically find"..... convey the meaning that it happens regularly... which is clearly not the case....
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi DmitryFarber GraceSCKao KarishmaB GMATNinja egmat
avigutman - I see that some experts have used this as a decision point - "try to X" and "try X-ing"

I read Dmitry's Post and GMAT Ninja's post about this issue but I am not able to logically understand the difference between these 2 structures

I have attempted to understand via an analogy

Please let me know your thoughts !

Quote:
I hated to eat carrots
vs
I hated eating carrots

In the first -->
  • this sentence is in the past tense
  • the sentence implies this was a "Habit" of mine in the past

In the 2nd -->
  • this sentence is also in the past tense
  • the sentence emphasises not the "Habit" of eating per se
  • The sentence emphasises the "Eating" -- this emphasises the verb (perhaps my jaws hurt or my gums bled when I was eating carrots)

I think this difference is too subtle though

Thoughts ?

Both look ok to me -
... those who have tried to count have found ...
or
... those who have tried counting have found ...

Though GMAT often prefers the use of to-infinitive (which means that you will find it more often in correct answers) but I wouldn't eliminate based on this distinction.
Here, options using 'counting' have errors in them as discussed in my post on page 1.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi DmitryFarber GraceSCKao KarishmaB GMATNinja egmat
avigutman - I see that some experts have used this as a decision point - "try to X" and "try X-ing"

I read Dmitry's Post and GMAT Ninja's post about this issue but I am not able to logically understand the difference between these 2 structures

I have attempted to understand via an analogy

Please let me know your thoughts !

Quote:
I hated to eat carrots
vs
I hated eating carrots

In the first -->
  • this sentence is in the past tense
  • the sentence implies this was a "Habit" of mine in the past

In the 2nd -->
  • this sentence is also in the past tense
  • the sentence emphasises not the "Habit" of eating per se
  • The sentence emphasises the "Eating" -- this emphasises the verb (perhaps my jaws hurt or my gums bled when I was eating carrots)

I think this difference is too subtle though

Thoughts ?

I'll echo Karishma and Avi here, and add that your example is a little different than the official one.

While "I hated eating carrots," isn't technically wrong, it's less than ideal, because there's more than one way to interpret "eating." Is it modifying "carrots," in the sense that the subject hates the type of carrots that people eat, but is okay with, say, decorative carrots? Or is it modifying "hated" and is simply conveying that the subject hates to eat this particular food?

In a vacuum, I wouldn't get rid of it for this reason alone, but I'd keep the potential confusion in mind when I'm evaluating alternatives.

In the official example, there's no ambiguity with the phrase "those who have tried counting," because without a noun next to "counting," there's only one possible interpretation of what "counting" could be doing here: it's conveying the action that people have tried to do.

The takeaway: there's no rule here, so don't generalize about whether the GMAT prefers "to verb" or "verb-ing." Take each case on its own. If one is clearer or more logical than the other, then you can use it as a decision point. If you're not sure -- and there will be times when you won't be sure, or when either construction could work -- then just move on to other issues.

I hope that helps!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
ziyuen wrote:
nightwing79 wrote:
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

A. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found

B. and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding

C. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

D. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found

E. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

What is "those" pronoun refer to? Does it ("those") refer to the languages being counted?

No, it refers to people who tried to count the number of languages/ dialects. Those people have found about five thousand dialects/languages.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 58: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

A. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found

B. and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding

C. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

D. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found

E. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

'Language' is singular so we require 'it'. Any sentence with them is OUT. => B, D, E are OUT.
Between A & C.
C - Changes the tense + what is 'it' referring to? OUT.

A is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V19
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.45
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
akshayk wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 58: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

'Language' is singular so we require 'it'. Any sentence with them is OUT. => B, D, E are OUT.
Between A & C.
C - Changes the tense + what is 'it' referring to? OUT.

A is the answer.

What if option C uses 'them' in place of 'it' in the second part, will it be correct?
and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting them typically find
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I am confused why we should use 'it' here. As per Manhattan SC, X and Y should follow with plural. So confused here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATNinja.

I have a concern in option A with the first "it".
Though I agree with your explanation but I still have a doubt

the said it is as well in the underlined portion of the sentence and we can never rule out the possibility or a path there. It therefore becomes difficult to assume that the stated "it" is correct and correctly refers to the singular language!
Can you please help enlighten!

Thanks

GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

I don't love the sound of this answer choice, but SC isn't ever about sound, so... whatever.

The "it" is perfect here. What are the singular nouns that precede "it"? "A language" is the only reasonable option -- and that makes perfect sense. "Those" generally works better with an antecedent of some sort, but it's basically just a synonym for "people" here, and that's acceptable. Keep (A).

Quote:

"Them" is confusing: does it refer to "dialects", "sub-languages," or all the way back to "languages" at the beginning of the sentence? I also can't figure out why we would want to conjoin these phrases with "with" -- that doesn't make much sense. (A) is much better, so (B) is out.

Quote:

I'm cool with the first "it", but the second "it" doesn't work: "those who have tried counting the language..."? We're trying to count languages, and that needs to be plural. Eliminate (C).

Quote:

Same problem with "them" as in answer choice (B). Plus, I don't see any good reason to use past tense here. The use of present perfect in (A) makes more sense, since people have presumably attempted to count languages in the past, and continue to do so in the present. (D) is gone.

Quote:

Just a hybrid of the worst elements of (B) and (C). (E) is out, and (A) is correct.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
carajatarora wrote:
It therefore becomes difficult to assume that the stated "it" is correct and correctly refers to the singular language!

Hi Rajat, as long as you realize that the pronoun used at that place in the sentence is intended to refer to a singular noun (a language), then it is easy to understand that the correct pronoun usage is it and not them (because them can only refer to plural nouns).

This is really the only understanding that is required here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
I fail to understand why them can't refer to both "language and sub-languages". I've come across a rule which states that if a subject is of the form X and Y, it becomes plural. Sub-languages can also have dialects within. So why are we referring to language alone?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
rarev22 wrote:
I fail to understand why them can't refer to both "language and sub-languages". I've come across a rule which states that if a subject is of the form X and Y, it becomes plural. Sub-languages can also have dialects within. So why are we referring to language alone?

Hi rarev22, the intent of the sentence is to convey that there is a difficulty of distinguishing between:
i) A language
ii) Sub-languages or dialects within a language

Since the intent is to refer to Sub-languages or dialects within a language, it is the correct pronoun.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

I don't love the sound of this answer choice, but SC isn't ever about sound, so... whatever.

The "it" is perfect here. What are the singular nouns that precede "it"? "A language" is the only reasonable option -- and that makes perfect sense. "Those" generally works better with an antecedent of some sort, but it's basically just a synonym for "people" here, and that's acceptable. Keep (A).

Quote:

"Them" is confusing: does it refer to "dialects", "sub-languages," or all the way back to "languages" at the beginning of the sentence? I also can't figure out why we would want to conjoin these phrases with "with" -- that doesn't make much sense. (A) is much better, so (B) is out.

Quote:

I'm cool with the first "it", but the second "it" doesn't work: "those who have tried counting the language..."? We're trying to count languages, and that needs to be plural. Eliminate (C).

Quote:

Same problem with "them" as in answer choice (B). Plus, I don't see any good reason to use past tense here. The use of present perfect in (A) makes more sense, since people have presumably attempted to count languages in the past, and continue to do so in the present. (D) is gone.

Quote:

Just a hybrid of the worst elements of (B) and (C). (E) is out, and (A) is correct.

In C, why you were ok with first 'It' but not the second.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts