Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: HBS (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi everyone, I am a 22-year-old Australian about to begin my final year of undergraduate studies with the intention to complete an MBA through Harvard's 2+2 program. Due to my expected graduation date, I am eligible to apply to potential programs in 2021. I believe that my GMAT score and essay(s) will ‘make or break’ my application. I appreciate any feedback on my profile and would like to hear opinions on what would be an appropriate GMAT score to target for Harvard. My current train of thought is minimum --> 710, target --> 730, dream --> 750.

(1) BACKGROUND

Work experience:

• Big 3 German automotive manufacturer (Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes)

6-month internship in Germany

• Prestigious boutique German automotive manufacturer

14-month internship + thesis in Germany.

Only (possibly first) non-EU resident at the company

Extra curriculars:

• Founding president of the mechanical engineering student association

200+ members in six months

Organised an on-campus industry expo with 30+ companies and 1100 student registrations

Company Q&As, industry visits, skill workshops, etc.

• Elected undergraduate representative of 12,000+ students on the school’s academic board

Hold monthly academic board meetings with the pro-vice chancellor and other high-ranking school officials. The academic board establishes the structure of academic programs and discusses school matters. There are a lot of NDAs!

• In2Science mentor

Mentor a classroom of low socioeconomic high school students to increase their engagement, confidence, and aspirations in STEM.

• Student-Staff consulting representative

Consult with my peers to identify program-related opportunities for improvement and present those issues at student-staff meetings.

• Entrepreneurship club

Committee member

• Founded a side-business on a shoestring budget

Automotive part marketplace, similar to this. I DO NOT want to brand it as a start-up.

• Very early stage NPO start-up

• Golden Key International Honour Society

• Formula SAE

Undergrad school/major:

• Location - Australia

• QS 250, QS Engineering 100

• Mechanical Engineering (Honours) | Business Management

Will graduate with two degrees.

Received several awards.

Featured on university promotional material.

• December 2020 graduation date

Other education/coursework:

• Certificate III in Music Industry

Race/nationality:

• White

• Australian

Sex:

• Male

(2) STATS

Cold GMAT Scores:

• MGMAT#1 620 (Q40 V35)

Taken 23/12/2019

• GMATPrep#1 530 (Q32 V32)

Taken 26/12/2019

• Potential test dates: July 20’, December 20’, January 21’, February 21’

Undergrad GPA:

• 4.0 / 4.0

6 subjects remaining.

(3) MBA INFO

Goal of MBA:

• [Short-term] To move away from traditional engineering roles and into management style roles particularly in NPO start-ups. By being accepted into a deferred program I will have the confidence after undergrad to take professional risks, whether that is to begin/grow a start-up or apply myself in a smaller boutique firm. Furthermore, I will have the support of the school’s network to help accelerate my professional progression in the period before matriculation.

• [Long-term] My longer-term vision is to make a positive impact in Australia. Currently Australia has a large dependence on its mining and farming exports however both industries are in decline which will ultimately damage the economy. The automotive industry was once in this position, unfortunately the industry succumbed to the downward trend and manufacturing has since been abandoned. My goal is to bring back the automotive industry to Australia in the form of renewable and sustainable practises thus contributing jobs, innovative technology, and pride to the country.

(4) OTHER

International exposure and languages:

• Two months in Tanzania

• Two years in Germany

Can speak German at an elementary workplace level which I learnt in my own time.

Matriculation:

• Aim to work for 3-4 years before matriculating

Assuming that I am accepted into a deferred program.

• Will be ~27 years old at time of matriculation

Essay discussion points:

• Aspirations to lead and make a positive impact.

Unfortunately Fortunately I have no ‘sob stories’.

• MBA goals

• Time spent in Germany
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi all:

Submitted R2 for a slew of schools and would appreciate some initial evaluations.

Demographics: 27 years old, Chinese-American (US Citizenship but ethnically Chinese). From NYC.

Education:
• Undergrad: Lower-tier Ivy, GPA: 3.6/4. Humanities major with a minor in business.

GMAT: 710 (Q47, V41). Not the best, but only started studying in Q4 2019 and no time to retake in order to catch R2 deadlines.

Work Experience (more of less all based out of NYC):
• Started professional career in strategy consulting with a large non-MBB consulting firm. Worked there for 1.5 years and early promote to senior strategy analyst.
• Switched to a sector coverage group in investment banking at a large bulge-bracket European bank where I have worked for the past 3 years. Fast-track promotion to Associate after less than 2 years of IBD experience.

Leadership and Extracurricular Activities:
• Currently on the Board of Directors as Treasurer or a local grassroots advocacy non-profit. Have served on Board for the past 2.5 years. Manage a $40k operating budget and ongoing balance of over $100k
• In college, was President of an umbrella organization group covering 75+ clubs on campus. Also co-founded the school's branch of a well-known think tank's college network. Was part of a club sport where we placed top 3 in national championships and a social fraternity.

Other:
• Pursued my ideals for social justice by looking into public service as a career in undergrad. Interned with nonprofits, an UN agency, and the White House before realizing the sector was not the best fit. Recruited for a slew of jobs before landing an offer in strategy consulting during my senior year recruiting cycle.
• Had plenty of international exposure in undergrad (2 summers studying abroad and a semester-long credit internship in Southeast Asia)

Post MBA goal: Looking to establish an entrepreneurship career in cannabis immediately upon graduation. Long-term is to establish a social impact fund. EDIT: Have no interest in returning to consulting or banking after MBA. Also not interested in tech.

Essay: Is about why I want to pursue a career in cannabis. Essentially, I want to put my passion for social justice at the forefront of my career again and I view cannabis as an opportunity to both make a business impact and rectify historical wrongs.

Other schools: Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, Tuck, Yale, Columbia, and Booth.

Points of concern:
• GMAT score, but hoping career trajectory makes up for it
• Cannabis as my post-MBA career plan. Pretty risky, but I purposely chose schools with either cannabis student clubs already or schools in states that have legalized or are in the process of legalizing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
FusciaCricket wrote:
Note: Applying Round 1 to Harvard Business School in September 2020, not Round 2. Still working on essays / reccs and probably won't make the Round 2 deadline unfortunately.

Demographics:
US Citizen
African American / Black
Female
26 Years Old

Work Experience:
1.5 Years as a Product Manager at a well-known startup (i.e. AirBnB, Doordash, Lyft)

2.0 Years as a Product Manager at a top tech firm (i.e. Google / Facebook)

Academics:
Graduated from a Top 20 University as a Humanities Major.
2.75 GPA / 740 GMAT / 332 GRE

First Generation High School / College Student

Division I Student Athlete with a national championship ranking

Low GPA is due to hitting a rough patch during that time as both my parents were battling cancer...they ultimately passed away. Hoping to address this in a separate essay.

Essays / Reccs
Will be pretty strong. Will be pretty strong and speak towards how my parents deaths have shaped my focus on social impact as it relates to access to health care, education, etc.

Extracurriculars
Also pretty strong, do a lot of volunteering and hold a few leadership roles at local nonprofits.

Why B-School:
Although most of my WE falls into tech, I've always been heavily involved in social enterprise, civic engagement, diversity + inclusion causes. Would like to pivot from tech to entrepreneurship with a social good focus. Believe that gaining both leadership skills and a more traditional business background would be beneficial.

I'm only applying to Harvard and Stanford given that I don't think any other school would justify the opportunity cost of leaving my current role which is fairly lucrative and interesting, but doesn't give me the social impact focus I'm looking for.

Would love some thoughts on my chances as I think I might be somewhat of an oddball candidate.

Thanks!

Nice profile. I too am applying only to HBS and Stanford with the "HBS/GSB or nothing" attitude. I hope to see you in class :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
dogchow wrote:
Hi all:

Submitted R2 for a slew of schools and would appreciate some initial evaluations.

Demographics: 27 years old, Chinese-American (US Citizenship but ethnically Chinese). From NYC.

Education:
• Undergrad: Lower-tier Ivy, GPA: 3.6/4. Humanities major with a minor in business.

GMAT: 710 (Q47, V41). Not the best, but only started studying in Q4 2019 and no time to retake in order to catch R2 deadlines.

Work Experience (more of less all based out of NYC):
• Started professional career in strategy consulting with a large non-MBB consulting firm. Worked there for 1.5 years and early promote to senior strategy analyst.
• Switched to a sector coverage group in investment banking at a large bulge-bracket European bank where I have worked for the past 3 years. Fast-track promotion to Associate after less than 2 years of IBD experience.

• Currently on the Board of Directors as Treasurer or a local grassroots advocacy non-profit. Have served on Board for the past 2.5 years. Manage a $40k operating budget and ongoing balance of over $100k
• In college, was President of an umbrella organization group covering 75+ clubs on campus. Also co-founded the school's branch of a well-known think tank's college network. Was part of a club sport where we placed top 3 in national championships and a social fraternity.

Other:
• Pursued my ideals for social justice by looking into public service as a career in undergrad. Interned with nonprofits, an UN agency, and the White House before realizing the sector was not the best fit. Recruited for a slew of jobs before landing an offer in strategy consulting during my senior year recruiting cycle.
• Had plenty of international exposure in undergrad (2 summers studying abroad and a semester-long credit internship in Southeast Asia)

Post MBA goal: Looking to establish an entrepreneurship career in cannabis immediately upon graduation. Long-term is to establish a social impact fund. EDIT: Have no interest in returning to consulting or banking after MBA. Also not interested in tech.

Essay: Is about why I want to pursue a career in cannabis. Essentially, I want to put my passion for social justice at the forefront of my career again and I view cannabis as an opportunity to both make a business impact and rectify historical wrongs.

Other schools: Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, Tuck, Yale, Columbia, and Booth.

Points of concern:
• GMAT score, but hoping career trajectory makes up for it
• Cannabis as my post-MBA career plan. Pretty risky, but I purposely chose schools with either cannabis student clubs already or schools in states that have legalized or are in the process of legalizing.

dogchow,

Thanks for your post.

Your grades are competitive; your GMAT is on the low side both for the schools you are aiming for and your demographic. (the fact that you didn't have time to retake is irrelevant to the schools. Could come across as an excuse if you mention it in your application. ) YOur work experience and extra-curriculars are strong and competitive at your target programs.

Your goal gave me pause and I actually checked with my staff. Four who commented, including 3 former adcom, felt it's a mistake to say you want to connect cannabis and social justice and correction of historical wrongs. While legal in increasing parts of the country, it is still very controversial. Is it possible for you to write about entrepreneurship and social justice and leave out the cannabis?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys, I would greatly appreciate it if you use your fortune-telling powers to evaluate my chances of getting invited to HBS R2 interviews.
- Nationality: Egypt.
- Background: Medical Doctor (M.D.)
- University: Most prestigious medical school in Egypt.
- GPA: 3.82
- GRE: Q:162 (79%) V: 159 (83%)
- Four years of US-based experience in the field of cancer & Molecular diagnostics.
- 3 promotions. From Sales to Marketing to Product development & Strategic planning.
- Published researcher in Biotechnology and Stem Cells form elite US institutions.
- Current: Founder & CEO of a Molecular Diagnostics Consulting Company.
- Extracurriculars: President & Founder of the biggest Student Club. President of the Student Union.
- LORs: President of the company I worked for reflecting on a successful business track record. & University Professor & mentor reflecting on a history of leadership in extracurricular activities.
- Essay: Influences that impacted my decision to pursue medical entrepreneurship, why an MBA & post-MBA goals.
Thanks & I really appreciate your efforts so much!
Send PM
Expert Reply
AziMani wrote:
Hi guys, I would greatly appreciate it if you use your fortune-telling powers to evaluate my chances of getting invited to HBS R2 interviews.
- Four years of US-based experience in the field of cancer & Molecular diagnostics.
- 3 promotions. From Sales to Marketing to Product development & Strategic planning.
- Published researcher in Biotechnology and Stem Cells form elite US institutions.
- Extracurriculars: President & Founder of the biggest Student Club. President of the Student Union.
- LORs: President of the company I worked for reflecting on a successful business track record. & University Professor & mentor reflecting on a history of leadership in extracurricular activities.
- Essay: Influences that impacted my decision to pursue medical entrepreneurship, why an MBA & post-MBA goals.

Except for your GRE you have a competitive profile for HBS and a reasonable chance of getting an interview invitation. Your verbal GRE is on the low side, but I don't think it's a knock-out. I wouldn't have recommended you ask a prof for a recommendation, but hopefully the content was so good that it will work out. :-) Obviously I can't comment at all on your essay.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
AziMani wrote:

Except for your GRE you have a competitive profile for HBS and a reasonable chance of getting an interview invitation. Your verbal GRE is on the low side, but I don't think it's a knock-out. I wouldn't have recommended you ask a prof for a recommendation, but hopefully the content was so good that it will work out. :-) Obviously I can't comment at all on your essay.

Best,
Linda

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
nerdyrunner wrote:
Demographics: 33 Years Old, Male, White, American.

Education:
• Undergrad: Originally failed out of college in Fall 2008. Wandered through life for 1.5 years before enlisting in US Military. Picked up program to go back to school and try college again, second attempt was 3.86 GPA in Electrical Engineering.

GMAT: 750 (Q48, V44) probably the strongest part of my app.

Work Experience
• 5 years as a US Naval Submarine Officer, specializing in reactor operations, Quality Assurance management, tactical systems, and general operations

• First time in college was a member of marching band for 3 years, co-section leader
• recently founded accessions program to assist enlisted personnel from my ship applying to Officer programs

Other:
• Love running, multiple marathons/half marathons under my belt
• Grew up in what could be referred to as poverty in the US. family made a lot of sacrifices to present me with opportunity. squandered it in college the first try, but luckily got a second chance.

Post MBA goal: Consulting from Harvard and eventually transition into management in tech. PE/VC would be great but with my previous work experience and age it's probably a pipe dream.

Essay: focus is on recovery from previous failure, how military/service gave me something to serve greater than myself and how leading others has inspired me to bring about even greater change in the world. Ultimately I want to get into non-profit management in education technology focused on rural areas in the US.
Other schools: Wharton, Tuck, Haas (dual MBA/Meng here) for R2. If I don't get interviews here I'm going to significantly widen my net for R3 and hope for the best.

Points of concern:
• Age. I'm significantly older than almost everyone at M7 schools, and even older than similar military applicants due to failing out of college before joining the military.
• lack of experience in business. Hard to speak to business goals when you aren't incredibly experienced in any of the fields. I'm used to long hours and solving difficult problems so consulting seems like the way for me to go to start though.

Many thanks!

I think you have a solid application, based on your stats I would say the essay and interview are going to be critical to tip the scale in your favor. Make sure you use your essay to connect with the admission officer on a personal level, and prep for your interview as much as possible, the key to is sound personable, structured BUT not scripted. Best of luck to you!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi AziMani,

Weighing in here on your profile evaluation request! At a baseline level, there are key aspects of your background that would definitely catch the AdCom's attention in a positive way -- your country (Egypt) is underrepresented in top US MBA programs, and your training as a medical doctor is certainly intriguing. You would have to have proved through your academic transcripts and work experience that you have the adequate verbal and quantitative aptitude to do MBA-level work, because as others have pointed out, your GRE scores are lower than ideal.

The topics that you say you covered in your essay are absolutely the right ones, but without seeing the actual content, it's difficult to say how persuasive your explanations are. For an applicant like you who comes from a non-traditional background, the key is to very clearly explain why you've chosen to take a business path rather than a conventional medical path. You want to convince the AdCom that with your dual degrees, you'll be better equipped than anyone else in your field to become a BUSINESS leader. Leadership potential is what they're looking for, at the end of the day.

Best of luck to you!

Doris
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi dogchow,

I know you posted several days ago now, but I wanted to chime in with some thoughts on your profile on behalf of Admissionado! At first glance, your academic credentials are solid even though they're not extraordinary. I don't think you have all that much to compensate for or prove through other application components, but I do think that you'll need to stand out in some other way. Your pre-MBA work experience is standard with consulting and banking, so the obvious area of interest in my view is your post-MBA goals.

It's true that rolling the dice on cannabis could be perceived as risky, but AdCom's aren't naive enough to ignore the huge revenue and profit potential of that industry as laws change, so it could be an attractive play. My biggest question for you (without having read your essays) would be how you demonstrate that you have a genuine interest in social impact, enough to want to make it a hallmark of your post-MBA career. While it's great that you were interested in social impact careers back in college, the reality is that you eschewed that path at that point for two very conventional business fields instead, so your track record so far doesn't lend that much credibility on that front. If you're invited for interviews, I recommend you figure out how to frame your answers in ways that marry your passion for social impact with your understanding of the power of the profit motive.

Best of luck to you!

Doris
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Send PM