Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Use of Beingx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [6]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [3]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [2]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Re: In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view [#permalink]
Kudos
dcummins wrote:

Thanks buddy, but It can be confusing when two moderators respond to the same post, so perhaps in future please be conscious of this as to someone who isn't at your level it comes across as offering two sets of advice.

I really appreciate presence of all experts on gmatclub, but I totally agree with dcummins that it is really confusing and in some cases unprofessional in my opinion(as in the example below). Moreover when user tags an expert it means that that user wishes to have explanation from that particular expert and not from another expert. the reason for this is that users choose the best experts for themselves :grin: :cool:
And if other users still would have questions after explanation was posted, they would definately ask questions by postig them. I think it is unprofessional for example in the case below

https://gmatclub.com/forum/increased-po ... l#p2263151

the tag was directed at generis but other expert who was not mentioned in the post replied to it on the same day when question was posted intead of generis ...

Exceptions could be when the pending questions remain unanswered by that particular expert after some time and other users or experts, in other words other kind people, reply to it after some time :grin: :)

have a great weekend eveyone :)
Cheers,
Dave :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [5]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
I really appreciate presence of all experts on gmatclub, but I totally agree with dcummins that it is really confusing and in some cases professionally unethical in my opinion. Moreover when user tags an expert it means that that user wishes to have explanation from that particular expert and not from another expert. the reason for this is - users choose the best experts for them :grin: :cool:
And if other users still would have questions after explanation was posted, they would definately ask questions by postig them. I think it is unprofessional for example in the case below

the tag was directed at generis but other expert who was not mentioned in the post replied to it on the same day when question was posted intead of generis ...

Exceptions could be when the pending questions remain unanswered by that particular expert after some time and other users or experts, in other words kind people, reply it after some time - which are always welcomed :grin: :)

Cheers,
Hi dave13,

The "other expert" bit wasn't exactly an example of extreme subtlety, so I'll respond to your post. You know, so that the "other expert" can have a say. :)

This is a public forum, and a public thread. Throwing words like "unethical" and "unprofessional" around in your original and edited responses (and no, editing your response before I could reply doesn't make it "okay" to use the word "unethical" in the first place) is not particularly nice. You're still welcome to do it though. After all, public forum, public thread.

My view is that my response did not prevent anyone from responding to a post. Nor did it prevent anyone from reading anyone else's response. Once the person who posted pointed out that he or she did not appreciate it, I did what I could, even though I did not really have to, and even though I do not agree with his or her position that no one else can respond to a post once someone else has been tagged in it.

Feel free to let me know why you feel my responses are morally incorrect, although I suggest you do so over PM (or report my posts directly to a moderator), as the last few posts are completely off-topic.

And yes, have a great weekend! :)

Ajitesh
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
dave13 wrote:
I really appreciate presence of all experts on gmatclub, but I totally agree with dcummins that it is really confusing and in some cases professionally unethical in my opinion. Moreover when user tags an expert it means that that user wishes to have explanation from that particular expert and not from another expert. the reason for this is - users choose the best experts for them :grin: :cool:

Exceptions could be when the pending questions remain unanswered by that particular expert after some time and other users or experts, in other words kind people, reply it after some time - which are always welcomed :grin: :)

Cheers,
Hi dave13,

The "other expert" bit wasn't exactly an example of extreme subtlety, so I'll respond to your post. You know, so that the "other expert" can have a say. :)

This is a public forum, and a public thread. Throwing words like "unethical" and "unprofessional" around in your original and edited responses (and no, editing your response before I could reply doesn't make it "okay" to use the word "unethical" in the first place) is not particularly nice. You're still welcome to do it though. After all, public forum, public thread.

My view is that my response did not prevent anyone from responding to a post. Nor did it prevent anyone from reading anyone else's response. Once the person who posted pointed out that he or she did not appreciate it, I did what I could, even though I did not really have to, and even though I do not agree with his or her position that no one else can respond to a post once someone else has been tagged in it.

Feel free to let me know why you feel my responses are morally incorrect, although I suggest you do so over PM (or report my posts directly to a moderator), as the last few posts are completely off-topic.

And yes, have a great weekend! :)

Ajitesh

To Whom It May Concern :grin:

your post above revolves mostly around the "unethical"

Do you know that when you try finding faults with the words of opponent, you admit that you dont have substantive arguments.

As for unethical, yes actually i wrote initially professionally unethical but then changed simply onto "unprofessional" because "unethical" and "unprofessional"

are synonyms, so i preferred simply to use one word "unproffessional" instead of two, plus it is not wordy

I do not throw words, I draw conclusions from what you wrote :)

And dcummins pointed out that when one experts post is followed by another expert`s, this is confusing, so i totally agree with dcummins

That being said its unprofessional because you not only prevent other experts who are much more conscious than you, from posting explanations

but you also dont don`t consider interests of regular users who tag (in this case) generis, and wanted explanations from generis, and not from you,

so you rather show what you "can".

As for "no one else can respond to a post once someone else has been tagged in it."

Again its not about "can" its about considering interests of regular user who prefers one expert over another (put up with it , like it or not :lol: ) so thats why we (users) tag. C`est la vie. :)

I hope you will understand some day (hopefully soon :grin:) that acting so is professionaly unethical :grin:

I like open discussion, and if you suggest me to pm you, then why didnt you initially PM duumicus, but replied to him/her in this thread.

No need to thank me for this post, just give me kudos for this post :lol: Can you ? yes, you can. is it unethical ? who knows :lol: don't think hard :grin:

Cheers,
Dave
p.s.
Attachments

SCR_unethical_synonyms.png
SCR_unethical_synonyms.png [ 92.2 KiB | Viewed 4062 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
To Whom It May Concern :grin:

your post above revolves mostly around the "unethical"

Do you know that when you try finding faults with the words of opponent, you admit that you dont have substantive arguments.

As for unethical, yes actually i wrote initially professionally unethical but then changed simply onto "unprofessional" because "unethical" and "unprofessional"

are synonyms, so i preferred simply to use one word "unproffessional" instead of two, plus it is not wordy

I do not throw words, I draw conclusions from what you wrote :)

And dcummins pointed out that when one experts post is followed by another expert`s, this is confusing, so i totally agree with dcummins

That being said its unprofessional because you not only prevent other experts who are much more conscious than you, from posting explanations

but you also dont don`t consider interests of regular users who tag (in this case) generis, and wanted explanations from generis, and not from you,

so you rather show what you "can".

As for "no one else can respond to a post once someone else has been tagged in it."

Again its not about "can" its about considering interests of regular user who prefers one expert over another (put up with it , like it or not :lol: ) so thats why we (users) tag. C`est la vie. :)

I hope you will understand some day (hopefully soon :grin:) that acting so is professionaly unethical :grin:

I like open discussion, and if you suggest me to pm you, then why didnt you initially PM duumicus, but replied to him/her in this thread.

No need to thank me for this post, just give me kudos for this post :lol: Can you ? yes, you can. is it unethical ? who knows :lol: don't think hard :grin:

Cheers,
Dave
p.s.
Hi dave13,

As I said earlier, you are welcome to be as slanderous as you want. This is the internet, after all. That doesn't mean that anything you said about what was just an attempt to help someone else out is true though. And no, the "professionally unethical" is just "professionally unprofessional" line isn't very convincing. :)

I again urge you to avoid using this thread for whatever it is that you think you're doing. Feel free to PM.

Ajitesh
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Here's a simpler view of the problem. ALL of the answers except C say that the painting was a price! I'll outline the simple structure of each:

(A) The painting sold for $20.2 million and it (the painting) was the second highest price.

(B) The painting, which sold for $20.2 million, was the second highest price.

(C) The painting was sold for $20.2 million, the second highest price. (Notice that here there is no verb before "the second highest price," so it can work as an appositive, which is a fancy name for a noun modifying another noun.)

(D) The painting was sold for $20.2 million, being the second highest price. (Here, "being" introduces an adverbial modifier that applies to the preceding clause. Since the painting is the subject of that clause, it has to be the price! Also, experience shows that when the GMAT throws "being" into the middle of a sentence, it's almost certainly wrong. You'd better have a lot of confidence to pick that answer!)

(E) The painting sold for $20.2 million, and was the second highest price. (This has the same problem as A and B, except that it adds a gratuitous comma between the two verbs: ", and was.")
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 522
Send PM
Kudos
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone sold for $20.2 million and it was the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.

(A) Rhone sold for $20.2 million and it was

(B) Rhone, which sold for $20.2 million, was

(C) Rhone, was sold for $20.2 million,

(D) Rhone was sold for $20.2 million, being

(E) Rhone, sold for $20.2 million, and was

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 35
Page: 658

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/30/arts/van-gogh-s-bridge-sells-in-london-for-20-million.html

The mood was oddly subdued in the jam-packed salesroom at Christie's tonight as ''The Bridge of Trinquetaille,'' Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone, was sold to an anonymous telephone bidder for $20.2 million. It was the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction, and members of the art trade were united in their agreement that the price was both impressive and fair.

In addition to all the wonderful points raised by other esteemed members, I there was another thing which was off-putting for me about the stem - Rhone sold for $20mn - didn't make sense to me because it made it seem as if the painting was doing the selling, which certainly isn't the case. There are two ways to rectify this error:

- either convert it into a modifier
- give it a bonafide verb (was sold) : The passive form makes it right as it turns the painting into an object/receiver (I didn't mean to objectify :P).

#Mytwocents

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
[quote="GMATBLACKBELT"]In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone sold for $20.2 million and it was the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.

(A) Rhone sold for $20.2 million and it was ( deviation from intended meaning, it was not the Gogh's view, which was sold.)

(B) Rhone, which sold for $20.2 million, was ( again the same problem,The Bridge of Trinquetaille was not the second highest price)

(C) Rhone, was sold for $20.2 million, ( correct, clear)

(D) Rhone was sold for $20.2 million, being ( No verb for subject The Bridge of Trinquetaille, meaning change)

(E) Rhone, sold for $20.2 million, and was ( comma before and suggests that The Bridge of Trinquetaille was the second highest price.)

Option C is the correct choice.

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
I have one doubt here.
Isn't "the second highest price...." an absolute phrase?
See when we use below syntax, we say it is an absolute phrase.
...noun1, noun2+past participle

bmwhype2 wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron ridge over the Rhone sold for $20.2million and it was the secnd highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.

A: Rhone sold for $20.2million and it was
B: Rhone, which sold for 20.2million, was
C: Rhone, was sold for 20.2million,
D: Rhone was sold for 20.2million, being
E: Rhone, sold for 20.2million, and was

xplain answers

nice. i like this question. there are 2 appositives that helped me pick C.

In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron ridge over the Rhone, was sold for 20.2million, the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
No, it's a regular appositive. "Paid" is a modifier here, not a verb. In fact, the sentence would work the same if we simply omitted the word "paid." Also, it isn't situating/modifying any other action. It's only giving more information about a prior noun ($20.2 million).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V20
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
ydmuley wrote:
In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron ridge over the Rhone sold for $20.2million and it was the secnd highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.

A: Rhone sold for $20.2million and it was

- Statement - "Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron ridge over the Rhone" is describing "The Bridge of Trinquetaille" and hence there should be a comma after Rhone. Also it does not correctly refers to the bridge.

B: Rhone, which sold for 20.2million, was

- Here Which refers to Rhone which is incorrect

C: Rhone, was sold for 20.2million,

- Correct - Comma is given after Rhone, and was sold is the correct verb form here

D: Rhone was sold for 20.2million, being

- Missing comma after a descriptive phrase and being is incorrect as well

E: Rhone, sold for 20.2million, and was

- need was sold form of the verb here.

Hence, answer is C

Totally agree

C is more concise and comma is properly placed
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [1]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Kudos
Hi generis,

Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation. The part about appositives was very helpful. While browsing the link about “The Appositive”, I have noticed that an appositive is described as a noun or noun phrase that renames another noun right beside it. Though the concept is pretty clear, I have some difficulty applying it to the below problems. I would be grateful if you could shed some light on them.

1. In A.D. 391, as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics

Most experts call the modifier …the largest of the ancient world… an appositive. However, it’s not a noun phrase but a noun modifier. I know that an appositive is a noun modifier, but shouldn’t it be in the form of a noun phrase that can replace the noun it modifies? (…the largest of the ancient world… is not a noun phrase but still called an appositive, how come?)

2. Over the past ten years cultivated sunflowers have become a major commercial crop, second only to soybeans as a source of vegetable oil.

In his explanation of the last problem, GMATNinja calls …second only to soybeans… an appositive. It is tough for me to understand WHY SO because that modifier is not a noun phrase. Moreover, that modifier seems to be not a noun but adverbial modifier because it refers to the whole clause, not just to the noun sunflowers. Any thoughts on this?

3. Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—fewer than have been killed by bee stings.

4. Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, lower than that of the most impoverished countries of the world.

Both 3rd and 4th problems have similar modifiers: fewer than and lower than. Are they also appositives? The structure they have seem strange to me. Are there any omitted words in those modifiers? All the above problems were discussed to some extent in their respective threads and in other forums, but I didn’t find them definitive. I will look forward to your thoughts. Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,

Jon
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:

Hi (also adding generis )

Is 'which sold' in (B) correct construction ? shouldn't it be ', sold for (without which, to work as a modifier)' or 'which was sold'. It seems as though a verb is missing here.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Try to get on the meaning its important to link the parts.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Here's a simpler view of the problem. ALL of the answers except C say that the painting was a price! I'll outline the simple structure of each:

(A) The painting sold for $20.2 million and it (the painting) was the second highest price.

(C) The painting was sold for $20.2 million, the second highest price. (Notice that here there is no verb before "the second highest price," so it can work as an appositive, which is a fancy name for a noun modifying another noun.)

(D) The painting was sold for $20.2 million, being the second highest price. (Here, "being" introduces an adverbial modifier that applies to the preceding clause. Since the painting is the subject of that clause, it has to be the price! Also, experience shows that when the GMAT throws "being" into the middle of a sentence, it's almost certainly wrong. You'd better have a lot of confidence to pick that answer!)

(E) The painting sold for $20.2 million, and was the second highest price. (This has the same problem as A and B, except that it adds a gratuitous comma between the two verbs: ", and was.")

brilliant... just brilliant!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone sold for $20.2 million and it was the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.

(A) Rhone sold for $20.2 million and it was

(B) Rhone, which sold for $20.2 million, was

(C) Rhone, was sold for $20.2 million,

(D) Rhone was sold for $20.2 million, being

(E) Rhone, sold for $20.2 million, and was

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 35
Page: 658

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/30/arts/van-gogh-s-bridge-sells-in-london-for-20-million.html

The mood was oddly subdued in the jam-packed salesroom at Christie's tonight as ''The Bridge of Trinquetaille,'' Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone, was sold to an anonymous telephone bidder for $20.2 million. It was the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction, and members of the art trade were united in their agreement that the price was both impressive and fair.

I have read all comments mentioned by experts to eliminate A.

But if we see logically "it" is referring to $20.2 million.

Sentence already mentioned "second highest price", Now you can't compare other noun with prices.

Hence "it" doesn't feel ambiguous here.

GMATNinja or any experts, kindly explain.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [3]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harsh2111s wrote:

Sentence already mentioned "second highest price", Now you can't compare other noun with prices.

Hi Harsh2111s,

Pronoun reference is extremely resistant to rules, and often the most we can do is work with patterns and probabilities. This may seem like an incomplete answer, but if we go with anything else, we run the risk of making a mistake when we encounter an option in which whatever we thought would work suddenly doesn't.

If you're looking only to remove option A, remember that there is no comma after Rhone. The intended meaning needs Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone to be a modifier set off by a pair of commas. Otherwise, it seems as if the subject of sold is view.

The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone sold for $20.2 million...

This should instead be:
The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone, sold for $20.2 million...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Harsh2111s wrote:

Hi Harsh2111s,

Pronoun reference is extremely resistant to rules, and often the most we can do is work with patterns and probabilities. This may seem like an incomplete answer, but if we go with anything else, we run the risk of making a mistake when we encounter an option in which whatever we thought would work suddenly doesn't.

If you're looking only to remove option A, remember that there is no comma after Rhone. The intended meaning needs Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone to be a modifier set off by a pair of commas. Otherwise, it seems as if the subject of sold is view.

The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone sold for $20.2 million...

This should instead be:
The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone, sold for $20.2 million...

Ok I got your point.

Thanks for explaining. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts