Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the [#permalink]
Dear Bunuel,

Tag in this question is misleading.
It sure is NOT from OG 18-20.

Moreover, Ron was skeptical whether this is from GMAT Prep as well
Maybe this isn't official question.

Quote:
i received a private message about this problem, in which the original poster has claimed that it is from gmat prep.

before commenting on the question, i'd like to see proof that it really is from an official source. i have my doubts -- i can see above that the sentence has been taken from the new york times, but it has several elements that don't make much sense outside the larger context of the article.

therefore, i'd like to see a screenshot of the problem from the actual software -- or a citation of whatever other source it may have come from -- before commenting on it. thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear Bunuel,

Tag in this question is misleading.
It sure is NOT from OG 18-20.

Moreover, Ron was skeptical whether this is from GMAT Prep as well (https://gmatclub.com/forum/?href=.html)

Maybe this isn't official question.

Quote:
i received a private message about this problem, in which the original poster has claimed that it is from gmat prep.

before commenting on the question, i'd like to see proof that it really is from an official source. i have my doubts -- i can see above that the sentence has been taken from the new york times, but it has several elements that don't make much sense outside the larger context of the article.

therefore, i'd like to see a screenshot of the problem from the actual software -- or a citation of whatever other source it may have come from -- before commenting on it. thanks.

Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the [#permalink]
786. Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.
Meaning:
Discussion = subject
of greenhouse effects
has usually focused on= verb for “discussion”
whether the Earth would warm and by how much, = question the level to which earth will become warm. Big question.
, but climatologists have indicated all along = SV pair exist (climatologists - have indicated) So something has been suggested by climatologists, and the part start with “but” so something different from first half.
that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.
that the most obvious effects = so climatologists are talking about these effects. “that” is connector. “Effects” is subject of that clause, so we will need verb ahead.
and those that would have the largest impact on people = “that” is referring to “those” so plural verb “have” is correct. “Those” is referring “effects”
, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.
“would be” is verb for “effects”
Finally, this sentence doesn’t seem to have any error. Will look for answer choice, if we find any issue in those options.
Error:
(A) the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess

(B) the effects that are the most obvious ones, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, would be those impacting the most on people
Distort the meaning , list error as well.
(C) those effects to have the largest impact on people, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, are what are the most obvious effects
Distort the meaning, same errors as in “B”

(D) extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, the most obvious effects, that they would have the largest impact on people
Distort the meaning. No verb for the list created
(E) extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, which are the most obvious effects, are those to impact the most on people
Distort the meaning, “to impact the most on people” is illogical usage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
SomwyaaSukriti wrote:
Gmat club verbal expert (GMATNinja) can you please explain the parallelism in question option A.

The main clause here is "Climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess." The three elements in red are the aforementioned "obvious effects." Note that it's perfectly acceptable for one of the elements to be a noun phrase - "extremes of temperature" - and two of the elements to be simple nouns - "precipitation" and "storminess." The important consideration is that all the elements in the list perform the same function, and here they do.

I hope that helps!

How is E wrong?? people are saying use of which is wrong. but which is representing all three extremeties.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Piyushggmat wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
SomwyaaSukriti wrote:
Gmat club verbal expert (GMATNinja) can you please explain the parallelism in question option A.

The main clause here is "Climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess." The three elements in red are the aforementioned "obvious effects." Note that it's perfectly acceptable for one of the elements to be a noun phrase - "extremes of temperature" - and two of the elements to be simple nouns - "precipitation" and "storminess." The important consideration is that all the elements in the list perform the same function, and here they do.

I hope that helps!

How is E wrong?? people are saying use of which is wrong. but which is representing all three extremeties.

Hi Piyushggmat
Take look at option E

"Extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, which are the most obvious effects, are those to impact the most on people."
Here, it's not quite clear what "those" refers to. Is it referring to "extremes" or "effects?"

If we give the sentence writer the benefit of the doubt, and decide that "those" refers back to "effects", we'd get the following:
"Extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess are the effects to impact the most on people."

Extremes are effects doesn't make sense.
Hope it helps :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:
(A) the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess

why "and " is correct in option A.
Does not it sounds like : A ,and B ,would be C( means A+B =C) . but i guess the B is just a modifier for A.
i am confused with purpose of and in this sentence, even and is proceed after a comma.

please suggest.
GMATNinja EducationAisle sayantanc2k egmat daagh EMPOWERgmatVerbal
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Modifiers are never attached with an 'and' to the modified noun. Therefore, B is no modifier of A. B is yet one more factor like A
VP
VP
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Modifiers are never attached with an 'and' to the modified noun. Therefore, B is no modifier of A. B is yet one more factor like A

Doesn't it destroys the meaning?
Quote:
the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people

A, and B, are E,P and S.

Problem1: how can the obvious effects are extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess? The effects should be like coldness,numb etc.
Problem2: means the most obvious effects AND those have largest impact ARE : extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.it means A can be E . B can be P and S. because and is mentioned in between A and B. we are combining results of A and B to E,P and S.
Problem3: meaning distorted by "and" . The ones that have largest impacts have the most obvious effects.

please help me to understand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1085
GMAT 1: 670 Q51 V28
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Dear experts,

I still don't understand the function of the comma in choice A " and those that would have the largest impact on people".
If the phrase "and those that would have the largest impact on people" does not function as an absolute modifier (because of " and"), why do we need the second comma after "people"?.

Actually, I crossed out immediately A after seeing ", and those that would have the largest impact on people," because this phrase does not seem grammatically function as a modifier or a second independent subject . So, I am really confused to see A as a correct answer. Is my approach correct?
VP
VP
Send PM
imSKR wrote:
daagh wrote:

Quote:
the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people

A, and B, are E,P and S.

Problem1: how can the obvious effects are extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess? The effects should be like coldness,numb etc.
Problem2: means the most obvious effects AND those have largest impact ARE : extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.it means A can be E . B can be P and S. because and is mentioned in between A and B. we are combining results of A and B to E,P and S.
Problem3: meaning distorted by "and" . The ones that have largest impacts have the most obvious effects.

HI Sir AjiteshArun MentorTutoring : please give your opinion.

thanks!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
imSKR wrote:
daagh wrote:

Quote:

A, and B, are E,P and S.

HI Sir AjiteshArun MentorTutoring : please give your opinion.

thanks!

Hello, imSKR. I will admit that I am not a fan of this question. Sure, the source seems fine if you check the Spoiler, but I wanted the and in question to be removed. Anyway, how about we examine the actual sentence?

Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.

Perhaps you are overanalyzing the grammar or meaning. The effects of greenhouse gases could be the weather conditions mentioned—i.e. the excessive buildup of greenhouse gases could lead to atypical weather developments—so I have no problem there. I also find your problems 2 and 3 to be similar non-issues. The sentence is, in fact, driving at the notion that the most obvious effects are also those that would have the largest impact on people. This could just as easily be conveyed without the highlighted and, though.

In the end, (A) is the cleanest choice of the lot, but this is one I was happy to answer just to be able to move on.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
ankur55 wrote:
Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.

(B) the effects that are the most obvious ones, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, would be those impacting the most on people

(C) those effects to have the largest impact on people, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, are what are the most obvious effects

(D) extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, the most obvious effects, that they would have the largest impact on people

(E) extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, which are the most obvious effects, are those to impact the most on people

This question is based on Construction and Idiomatic Usage.

“The effects that are the most obvious ones” is wordy. The participle ‘impacting’ should not be followed by the preposition ‘on’. The noun form ‘impact’ should be followed by ‘on’, but not the participle. The correct usage would be ‘impacting people’. So, Option B can be ruled out.

The phrase “what are the most obvious effects” is awkward and redundant. This option also conveys the meaning that effects are the most obvious effects. So, there is an unnecessary repetition of the word ‘effects’. So, Option C can also be ruled out.

Option D is made up of two subordinate clauses one after the other – that extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, the most obvious effects, that they would have the largest impact on people. This placement leaves the sentence incomplete because there is no verb to complete the idea of the subject “extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess”. So, Option D can also be ruled out.

When ‘impact’ is used as a verb, it should not be followed by the preposition ‘on’. The relative pronoun ‘which’ does not have a clear antecedent. So, Option E can also be ruled out.

Option A contains a subject followed by a modifier - the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess. This is followed by the verb ‘would’, which indicates the probability of the effects. In Option A, ‘impact’ is used as a noun so it should be followed by the preposition ‘on’. Therefore, A is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 623
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Judge '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.1
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
ankur55 wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/23/science/more-extremes-found-in-weather-pointing-to-greenhouse-gas-effect.html

Discussion of the greenhouse effect has usually focused on the question of whether the earth will warm and by how much; scientists believe a doubling of greenhouse gas concentrations would raise the average global temperature by 3 to 8 degrees Fahrenheit. But climatologists have said all along that the most obvious effects, and those that will have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation and storminess.

Hey guys,

in answer E, do you think that one can say that which falsely refers to a group or extremes? In my opinion which can only refer to the single entity storminess or jump over the prep. phrase and refer to extremes. What do you think?
Second explanation is for sure that it should be a essential modifier not using a comma, but I am asking something different here.

Cheers
Rudolf
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
I think this question is taken from this OG question- https://gmatclub.com/forum/discussion-o ... 04263.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possibility of Earth growing warmer and to what extent it might, but climatologists have indicated all along that precipitation, storminess, and temperature extremes are likely to have the greatest impact on people.

(A) Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possibility of Earth growing warmer and to what extent it might,

(B) Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually had as its focus whether Earth would get warmer and what the extent would be,

(C) Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether Earth would grow warmer and to what extent,

(D) The discussion of greenhouse effects have usually focused on the possibility of Earth getting warmer and to what extent it might,

(E) The discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether Earth would grow warmer and the extent that is,

dear AndrewN, andGMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo,
I encountered another similar question.
I am struggling with B and C,
I have no idea how to split B and C.
in B, it seems parallel between whether Earth would get warmer and what the extent would be,
in C, it seems parallel between on whether Earth would grow warmer and to what extent

it confused a lot for me

appreciate your clarifiction.

thanks in advance.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possibility of Earth growing warmer and to what extent it might, but climatologists have indicated all along that precipitation, storminess, and temperature extremes are likely to have the greatest impact on people.

(A) Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possibility of Earth growing warmer and to what extent it might,

(B) Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually had as its focus whether Earth would get warmer and what the extent would be,

(C) Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether Earth would grow warmer and to what extent,

(D) The discussion of greenhouse effects have usually focused on the possibility of Earth getting warmer and to what extent it might,

(E) The discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether Earth would grow warmer and the extent that is,

in B, it seems parallel between whether Earth would get warmer and what the extent would be,
in C, it seems parallel between on whether Earth would grow warmer and to what extent

it confused a lot for me

thanks in advance.

Hello, zoezhuyan. To be honest, you probably should not worry too much about non-official questions. They are not screened as rigorously as their official counterparts and can create unnecessary confusion. That said, there is an idiom issue that lies at the heart of (B) and (C) in the question above: discussion... has... had as its focus is NOT idiomatic, while discussion... has... focused on is idiomatically sound. Thus, (C) wins. You should also be suspect of a construct such as the one at the end of (B), which places the to be verb last—what the extent would be—as opposed to the noun at the end of (C)—to what extent.

I hope that helps clarify your concerns. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:

it confused a lot for me

thanks in advance.

Hello, zoezhuyan. To be honest, you probably should not worry too much about non-official questions. They are not screened as rigorously as their official counterparts and can create unnecessary confusion. That said, there is an idiom issue that lies at the heart of (B) and (C) in the question above: discussion... has... had as its focus is NOT idiomatic, while discussion... has... focused on is idiomatically sound. Thus, (C) wins. You should also be suspect of a construct such as the one at the end of (B), which places the to be verb last—what the extent would be—as opposed to the noun at the end of (C)—to what extent.

I hope that helps clarify your concerns. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew

hi, AndrewN,, thanks for you reply.
my carelessness makes you thought that this is not OG question, actually, it is Q# 860 from OG 2021 on page 751, SC04093,

as you said:
Quote:
You should also be suspect of a construct such as the one at the end of (B), which places the to be verb last—what the extent would be—as opposed to the noun at the end of (C)—to what extent.

this makes me more confused.
if "to what extent" is noun, then "whether Earth would grow warmer" works as noun? otherwise the parallelism will be clause parallel to noun?
does this kind of parallelism make sense.?
what he knows and who spoke to him --> parallel
what he knows and the people who spoke to him --> not parallel
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts