Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 382
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 107
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [6]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and olde [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Debayandc wrote:
"Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root-like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest."

Can I compare "a giant fungus that is an....and is extending..." ?? Experts, please guide.

Hello, Debayandc. I see what you are getting at, and I admit that I was initially considering an option, before I had looked at the answers, that would have a parallel to that is. The problem, as others have pointed out above, is that the two elements would not be parallel: an interwoven filigree is a noun, while is extending is a verb. In the correct sentence, it is clear that spawned by and extending are the parallel elements instead:

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

To make a sentence that did create a parallel element to a giant fungus that is, in which is is the verb of that, we would need a second instance of that to avoid any confusion, and the verb would have to be conjugated differently, as in the following sentence:

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and that extends for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

Now we are saying that a giant fungus is [something] and extends for more than 30 acres. It might seem intuitive to use the form is extending, but again, because the earlier use of is is followed by a noun, we would expect a noun instead of a verb to follow the second is. You will note that among the answer choices on offer, there are none that correspond to our above sentence, thereby eliminating such an interpretation on grammatical grounds.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and olde [#permalink]
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

Why is "is extending" wrong?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [0]
Expert Reply
Debayandc wrote:

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

Why is "is extending" wrong?

Hello again, Debayandc. We carried on a dialogue about this question at the beginning of last month, one that I believe answers your current question as well. In short, is extending acts as a verb, but it does not have a parallel element before the parallel marker and (without a comma). Did you happen to come across this one again in your practice and fall for (E) again?

Please let me know if you have read through the earlier discussion and still do not understand why (E) is incorrect.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
How can I understand the proper parallelism :

a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

that is an interwoven and
that is extending

or

spawned || extending

please explain.

Regards,
Arup
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ArupRS
To make your first interpretation, we'd really need the structure you describe: "that is X and that is Y." Since we don't have that, we need to go the second route. "Spawned" and "extending" are both modifiers describing the interwoven filigree.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

Will it make sense to choose (B) if it was (B) that extends? Then we may still have parallelism here. A giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago, and (A giant fungus) that extends for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

I guess fungus or filigree can both extend... egmat GMATNinja
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TandyWang wrote:
Will it make sense to choose (B) if it was (B) that extends? Then we may still have parallelism here. A giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago, and (A giant fungus) that extends for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

I guess fungus or filigree can both extend... egmat GMATNinja

Hi TandyWang,

Yes, but we still won't be able to say whether the modified version of B would be better than A. For what it's worth, I would not expect the GMAT to force us to choose between that extends and extending.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM

I thought the answer was b - extends - because it is parallel with "is." It sounded good to me:

1. "a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago"
2. "a giant fungus that extends for more than 30 acres in the soil og a Michigan forest."

Honestly, it still seems fine to me - and I am confident that I would have made the same mistake on the test, which incidentally is tomorrow...

What is a quick way to see that this does not work? Do you need a really good grasp of meaning? Or is there something else?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
HansJK wrote:
I thought the answer was b - extends - because it is parallel with "is." It sounded good to me:

Hi HansJK, you can go thru this post on why option B is not the best choice here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
BunuelWannabe wrote:
Nevertheless, I still cannot see why are we eliminating b)

In your explanation you said "Choice B: extends: Incorrect. This is a verb and a verb cannot be parallel to a modifier." but the verb is parallel to another verb that is placed earlier in the sentence:

"A giant fungus that is"

So, in my opinion, b) would be a correct parallelism as it is logical that the two verbs are referring back to the subject Giant Fungus

Hi BunuelWannabe, you ask a good question.

Couple of reasons that tilt the balance against B:

i) The original sentence uses extending as a modifier, deploying the following parallelism:

..an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned....and extending....

So, in the original sentence, spawned and extending modify interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles.

Since this seem to be a very reasonable meaning, we can interpret this as the intended meaning of the sentence. That being the case, option B is changing the intended meaning of the sentence.

ii) Option B depicts parallelism between extends and is. However, notice how far these two verbs are, from each other. Hence, if the intent indeed was for these two verbs to be parallel, then a better sentence construct would be:

...a giant fungus that is an interwoven....and that extends for ...

The repetition of that (second that in the above sentence) would have made it very clear that both that are referring to a giant fungus.

Is it a problem that the preposition "for more than" follows "extends," as it is a a noun follows the verb "is"? Thank you very much, I really appreciate the help!!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HansJK
No, that's not a problem. We want to make "extending" parallel to "spawned." But if it made logical sense to make "is" and "extends" parallel, the fact that those verb phrases continued in different ways wouldn't create an error. It's common for parallel terms to have different structures, especially in their modifiers, as long as they all fit into the overall structure in the same way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Does "the giant fungus" need no verb?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
randarth wrote:
Does "the giant fungus" need no verb?

Hi randarth,

A giant fungus that is... is a modifier that does not need a verb. In fact, if we gave that noun a main verb, we'd end up with an independent clause, and then we'd end up with a comma splice (two independent clauses joined by only a comma). For example, if we remove the that, we get:

Scientists have discovered {something}, a giant fungus is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms... ← This is incorrect, as the two clauses are joined by only a comma.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankitapugalia wrote:
Hi,

One doubt- 'a giant fungus..Michigan forest' doesn't have a verb. I understand that extending is correct but a giant fungus is not a modifier here. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks

Hi ankitapugalia,

A giant fungus... is a just one big modifier (it modifies the largest and oldest living organism on Earth).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Debayandc wrote:
"Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root-like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest."

Can I compare "a giant fungus that is an....and is extending..." ?? Experts, please guide.

Hello, Debayandc. I see what you are getting at, and I admit that I was initially considering an option, before I had looked at the answers, that would have a parallel to that is. The problem, as others have pointed out above, is that the two elements would not be parallel: an interwoven filigree is a noun, while is extending is a verb. In the correct sentence, it is clear that spawned by and extending are the parallel elements instead:

To make a sentence that did create a parallel element to a giant fungus that is, in which is is the verb of that, we would need a second instance of that to avoid any confusion, and the verb would have to be conjugated differently, as in the following sentence:

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and that extends for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

Now we are saying that a giant fungus is [something] and extends for more than 30 acres. It might seem intuitive to use the form is extending, but again, because the earlier use of is is followed by a noun, we would expect a noun instead of a verb to follow the second is. You will note that among the answer choices on offer, there are none that correspond to our above sentence, thereby eliminating such an interpretation on grammatical grounds.

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN - reviewing the text in purple

Would this sentence also NOT BE PARALLEL, in that case ?

The Terminator is a machine and is killing A and B

In above sentence case - the X marker has simple present tense (is ) and Y marker : Present progressive (is killing)

Can't simple present tense NOT BE PARALLEL to present progressive ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
AndrewN wrote:
Debayandc wrote:

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN - reviewing the text in purple

Would this sentence also NOT BE PARALLEL, in that case ?

The Terminator is a machine and is killing A and B

In above sentence case - the X marker has simple present tense (is ) and Y marker : Present progressive (is killing)

Can't simple present tense NOT BE PARALLEL to present progressive ?

Hello, jabhatta2. To get to the heart of the matter, is your sentence about the Terminator valid? Sure. It is fine to list parallel verbs in different tenses, as long as such shifting tenses fit the context of the given sentence. GMATNinja himself just wrote this post that says as much in another thread. But the real question is whether, on the GMAT™, such a sentence presents the best iteration of the five options presented. That is all we are looking to do, after all. We could turn over every grammatical and semantic stone we could think of and still not scratch the surface of what the test could throw at us. I like to note tendencies when I write my posts, not make declarations about what must be true. (There may be something I have not learned or mastered myself.)

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [1]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

(2) No. The only other present tense verb is IS.
extends would have to be parallel to is (the verb for the subject "giant fungus"),
I think my previous sentence is what you meant. A verb (extends) can't be parallel to a noun (giant fungus).

If extends and is were paired as verbs, we would not have real parallelism.
We would also have a hot mess of a sentence.*

*We don't have the sentence on this page of the thread.

Hi generis - per the yellow why do you say in option B (alternate structure) where the verb "IS" is made parallel to the verb "Extends" , it will be issue w.r.t parallelism ? I think this structure seems parallel

option B)
A giant fungus THAT
X element) is an interwoven ...............
Y element) extends......

The "THAT" can be part of the root phrase so the "THAT" can technically extend to both the two elements (X and Y elements)

Also there are two VERBS being compared ["IS" and "Extends"]

I read in some other posts that - the X element is a noun being compared to the Verb in the Y element but "IS" and "Extends" are BOTH VERBS

Thoughts on where is gap in my logic
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts