Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 06:26 It is currently 05 May 2024, 06:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [23]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [5]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
Re: Though widely used for decades to fuel home heating systems, utility [#permalink]
The beginning of the sentence requires "natural gas" for the start (what was widely used to fuel home heating systems?). A,B,C are left. B is really bad because it states that natural gas did all that stuff as oil (so natural gas can be oil?). C is missing a comparison word (natural gas did less...where's the than?). So A is left.
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Though widely used for decades to fuel home heating systems, utility [#permalink]
the intial modifier : Though widely used to fuel ....................... ( What is widely used?)

Guess natural gas : This eliminates D n E

Between A / B / C :

This construction makes sense : ...............X (natural Gas ) has accounted for less of the energy consumed THAN has Y (oil)

Leading to A = my take
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28598 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mbawarrior01 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

I needed your help in understanding the official explanation for a wrong choice.

though-widely-used-for-decades-to-fuel-137625.html

I understand the question and got the correct answer but the explanation about Choice B is bothering me.

Choice B : "Natural gas has still accounted for far less of the energy consumed in the United States as Oil

The OE says that sentence attempts to compare oil with what gas has done.

I thought the comparison was fine (leaving the idiom error - less than)

For eg : I have same pen as you [have]..... is correct

Then, accordingly " Gas has less energy consumption than oil " [has].. Shouldn't this be correct?

May be I am over thinking but need this confusion to be resolved.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Dear Mbawarrior01

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here is a very difficult to appreciate fact about the official questions. The official questions, in GMAT Prep or the OGs, are former live GMAT questions. In order to get onto the live GMAT, questions undergo an extensive statistical evaluation, from which many questions are weeded out. Once a question is on the GMAT, it continues to accumulate an extraordinary amount of data. Then, some of these questions, the ones that have done well, are released and put in the OG or in GMAT Prep. At this point, these are some of the highest quality test questions on earth! Each questions has tens of thousands of data points behind it assuring its quality.

By contrast, the explanations were written once by somebody, maybe a starving graduate student, and so far as I can tell, they have undergone almost no feedback whatsoever. A few are excellent, many are OK, and some are atrocious.

Now, the deceptive thing is that the questions and the explanations are all bundled together, whether in GMAT Prep or the OG, all in the same font and format, so that it may appear to the naive reader that they are of the same quality. They are NOT!

Keep this in mind. Here's a text version of the question:
Though widely used for decades to fuel home heating systems, utility boilers, and industrial furnaces, natural gas has accounted for far less of the energy consumed in the United States than has oil.

A. natural gas has still accounted for far less of the energy consumed in the United States than has oil
B. natural gas has still accounted for far less of the energy consumed in the United States as oil
C. natural gas still has accounted for far less of the energy consumed in the United States as oil has
D. still far less of the energy consumed in the United States has been accounted for by natural gas as by oil
E. still far less of the energy consumed in the United States has been accounted for by natural gas than has oil

First of all, the problem that simply torpedoes (B) is the idiom blunder, "less ... as." That should be front and center in any discussion of why (B) is wrong. There is, though, something else going on, to which the explanation refers.

See this post:
4 Challenging Comparison Questions on the GMAT
In that post, I explain the difference between what I call a subjective comparison and objective comparison.

If we changed (B) and replaced the word "as" with the word "than," we would have corrected the idiom problem but we would still have the logical problem. In particular, the sentence would leave unclear whether "oil" was intended to be a subjective comparison or an objective comparison.

Read that blog carefully, and I think what the official explanation was trying to say will make more sense.

Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
GRE 1: Q167 V160
Send PM
Kudos
What has been widely used for decades to fuel homes? Clearly, natural gas. Eliminate D and E.

Next, the proper idiom is less than, not less as. Eliminate B and C.

Answer is A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Parrallelism order? [#permalink]
Though widely used for decades to fuel home heating systems, utility boilers, and industrial furnaces, natural gas has still accounted for far less of the energy consumed in the United States than has oil.

Hello,
I have a question regarding Parallelism, this is the correct answer to the sentence correction prompt. My question is why does this not break parallelism?
I like everything about the answer but I crossed it out do to it being "than has oil" instead of "than oil has". Can someone explain if there is even parallelism in these questions and if so why it can reverse the order as to which the events happen?

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Though widely used for decades to fuel home heating systems, utility [#permalink]
Clearly A is the correct Answer.

C, D and E are out as first line modifies the noun 'Natural gas'. In B 'As' is used to compare clause with Noun 'oil' which is wrong.

Originally posted by Vikassingla on 23 Sep 2020, 03:26.
Last edited by Vikassingla on 23 Sep 2020, 04:41, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
oscarcasas21 wrote:
Though widely used for decades to fuel home heating systems, utility boilers, and industrial furnaces, natural gas has still accounted for far less of the energy consumed in the United States than has oil.

Hello,
I have a question regarding Parallelism, this is the correct answer to the sentence correction prompt. My question is why does this not break parallelism?
I like everything about the answer but I crossed it out do to it being "than has oil" instead of "than oil has". Can someone explain if there is even parallelism in these questions and if so why it can reverse the order as to which the events happen?

Thanks!

Hi oscarcasas21, both are correct constructs. For example:

Peter earns more than Michael does.

Or

Peter earns more than does Michael.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35 (Online)
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
oscarcasas21 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!

Here since we have "less" , it should be followed by "than"

B and C do no have "than" so we can eliminate them based on that.

"than has oil" and "than oil has" is basically the same thing. No parallelism is broken anywhere
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts