Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2021 Intake [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Nikhil wrote:
We have just announced an applicant networking session with an HEC Paris alumnus. More details are here https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-con ... 35596.html

This networking session is happening today at 9 AM PDT | 9:30 PM IST. You can join us using the following link

Join Zoom Meeting   https://zoom.us/j/96342984653
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
HEC Paris is going live in MBA Spotlight in about 30 minutes at 7 AM Pacific. The session will be 50 minutes long with live Q&A.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
A new HEC Paris Interview Debrief has just been posted: https://gmatclub.com/forum/hec-paris-221/interview_debrief.html#debrief-1502
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: IESE '24 (A)
GRE 1: Q165 V163
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
Are the interview invites at HEC a selective process or do they send it to everyone? And what is that the conversion rate for interview to admits?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: HEC (A)
GRE 1: Q164 V168
Send PM
Bookmarks
A new HEC Paris Interview Debrief has just been posted: https://gmatclub.com/forum/hec-paris-221/interview_debrief.html#debrief-1556
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
HEC: How to create a successful Application?

HEC Paris Adcom is going live in about 45 minutes from now at 7 AM Pacific. Join us at the following link

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
I contacted HEC Paris to give pre-application evaluation and this is what they have said in response to my initial enquiry:

"Thank you for your interest in HEC Paris.

With over 2 years of work experience I would recommend you look at our MBA programs, best suited for your profile (here). Indeed our masters are pre-experience programs geared towards those with 0-3 years maximum of professional experience by the time they start the program."

Since I am only interested in MSc International Finance at HEC, I request them to consider me for that program only, and tell me whether I should go on to apply. To which, they replied:

"Thank you for your email.
I understand your concerns and you will still be able to apply. However, regarding your profile, an MBA program might be a better fit for you. "

The question is, should I still apply to my preferred MSc International Finance program, given their recommendation for me to pursue MBA? Has it happened with somebody that they went against the recommendation of the university, and got into their preferred program?

I really need some guidance here, and would really appreciate your taking the time out.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Louis14 wrote:
I contacted HEC Paris to give pre-application evaluation and this is what they have said in response to my initial enquiry:

With over 2 years of work experience I would recommend you look at our MBA programs, best suited for your profile (here). Indeed our masters are pre-experience programs geared towards those with 0-3 years maximum of professional experience by the time they start the program."

Since I am only interested in MSc International Finance at HEC, I request them to consider me for that program only, and tell me whether I should go on to apply. To which, they replied:

I understand your concerns and you will still be able to apply. However, regarding your profile, an MBA program might be a better fit for you. "

The question is, should I still apply to my preferred MSc International Finance program, given their recommendation for me to pursue MBA? Has it happened with somebody that they went against the recommendation of the university, and got into their preferred program?

I really need some guidance here, and would really appreciate your taking the time out.

Louis14

I guess they are recommending you to apply to the MBA thinking your profile may suit well for that. If your profile suits an MBA profile, I don't see why it will not suit the MSc program you are talking about. The tricky part here would be to convince the admissions committee about why you want to do MSc and not a full-time MBA. What do you think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Nikhil wrote:
Louis14 wrote:

I guess they are recommending you to apply to the MBA thinking your profile may suit well for that. If your profile suits an MBA profile, I don't see why it will not suit the MSc program you are talking about. The tricky part here would be to convince the admissions committee about why you want to do MSc and not a full-time MBA. What do you think?

Exactly what I was thinking! They clearly suggest that my profile is good for MBA. Right? If it's good enough for MBA, which is very competitive, it should be good enough for MSc as well. Sure, I may have a few months of extra experience, but that should not be the reason to deny me my preferred program. I want to convince them to take me in the MSc program, but I guess that is only possible if I fully apply for the MSc program. Right? Otherwise, I don't know how to get a green light from them to apply to MSc program. Can you think of a way other than submitting my complete application and waiting for my result?
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Louis14 wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking! They clearly suggest that my profile is good for MBA. Right? If it's good enough for MBA, which is very competitive, it should be good enough for MSc as well. Sure, I may have a few months of extra experience, but that should not be the reason to deny me my preferred program. I want to convince them to take me in the MSc program, but I guess that is only possible if I fully apply for the MSc program. Right? Otherwise, I don't know how to get a green light from them to apply to MSc program. Can you think of a way other than submitting my complete application and waiting for my result?

Louis14

You can also address this in the optional essay if there is one as part of the application. I would also advise you to reach out to more students on LinkedIn etc who have similar years of work experience as you and are in the MSc program. They can advise you well :)

Did you do that already?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Nikhil wrote:
Louis14 wrote:

Louis14

You can also address this in the optional essay if there is one as part of the application. I would also advise you to reach out to more students on LinkedIn etc who have similar years of work experience as you and are in the MSc program. They can advise you well :)

Did you do that already?

I would love to do that. The only problem is that I don't know how will I find such people among a sea of folks on LinkedIn.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Louis14 wrote:

I would love to do that. The only problem is that I don't know how will I find such people among a sea of folks on LinkedIn.

Louis14

I think you have to talk to a lot of current students and then see who has a similar profile to yours :) Even if they don't have a similar profile, I guess you can only gain some insights by talking to them :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Nikhil wrote:
Louis14 wrote:

Louis14

I think you have to talk to a lot of current students and then see who has a similar profile to yours :) Even if they don't have a similar profile, I guess you can only gain some insights by talking to them :)

Alright, Nikhil. I can do that. Thanks. :)
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
This user wants to stay Private wrote:
Interviewed on a Sunday morning with an alumnus from the class of 2017. She was in consulting pre-MBA, and is now in finance. She was located in the US both before and after her MBA.

She told me a little about herself, and then asked the usual questions such as: Why an MBA now? Why HEC? In particular, she seemed impressed that I managed to confidently answer her question about why I was choosing HEC over INSEAD. She commented that I seemed to have done my research well.

I then presented my presentation. As my target post-MBA industry was consulting, and having been a consultant herself, she commented that my slides needed to be more comprehensive (as slides are very important in consulting). I took this as a slightly negative sign, but the rest of the interview went fine otherwise. She proceeded to tell me about the campus life as well, and was happy to answer any questions I had.

She was quite a reserved person so I couldn't tell how well it had gone overall but since I have been admitted, I assume it went well!

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience. Is it possible to chat a bit about your reasons for picking HEC over INSEAD?
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
AKVK wrote:
Interviewed on a Sunday morning with an alumnus from the class of 2017. She was in consulting pre-MBA, and is now in finance. She was located in the US both before and after her MBA.

She told me a little about herself, and then asked the usual questions such as: Why an MBA now? Why HEC? In particular, she seemed impressed that I managed to confidently answer her question about why I was choosing HEC over INSEAD. She commented that I seemed to have done my research well.

I then presented my presentation. As my target post-MBA industry was consulting, and having been a consultant herself, she commented that my slides needed to be more comprehensive (as slides are very important in consulting). I took this as a slightly negative sign, but the rest of the interview went fine otherwise. She proceeded to tell me about the campus life as well, and was happy to answer any questions I had.

She was quite a reserved person so I couldn't tell how well it had gone overall but since I have been admitted, I assume it went well!

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience. Is it possible to chat a bit about your reasons for picking HEC over INSEAD?

AKVK

FYI, The interview experience you have quoted above is from 2019. So, I am not sure if the user is still checking the forum.

Also, do you have a similar choice to choose between HEC and INSEAD?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Nikhil wrote:
AKVK wrote:

Thank you for your reply Nikhil. No, I have applied to both schools, awaiting results. But was just wondering what the thought process was in choosing so.

AKVK

FYI, The interview experience you have quoted above is from 2019. So, I am not sure if the user is still checking the forum.

Also, do you have a similar choice to choose between HEC and INSEAD?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All HEC Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All HEC Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All HEC Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated HEC Forum to dive into all things related to HEC's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts