Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [32]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [3]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
Send PM
Re: Toxic bioaccumulation, a mining hazard induced by the mercury compound [#permalink]
This is straight A, let us take a look at the options:

B - weakens by stating that chalcedony stays inactive for 5 years i.e. it does not prevent the release of harmful chemicals for this period. We are looking for a choice that lends more credence to the fact that spreading chalcedony in that area would save the workers there.

C - if anything this weakens the conclusion by stating that chalcedony takes more time to spread and hence be effective.

D - this clearly weakens by stating that it does not prevent a few chalcedony varieties from releasing toxins hence workers could still be afflicted.

E - states a negative aspect of chalcedony but we are looking for an answer choice that would compel us to use chalcedony in that area.

A - is the answer as it strengthens the conclusion by strengthening the assumption that the author.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Toxic bioaccumulation, a mining hazard induced by the mercury compound [#permalink]
aaba wrote:
Toxic bioaccumulation, a mining hazard induced by the mercury compounds transferred from unrefined cinnabar ore, presently afflicts 7 of every 10 workers in the Redstone Mine. A second mineral which occurs in the same environment, chalcedony, restricts the release of toxins from cinnabar ore. Mining chemists suggest spreading chalcedony in the Redstone Mine in order to preserve the surviving workers.

Which of the following, if true about chalcedony, provides the strongest evidence that the suggestion will be successful?

A It accumulates in deposits which are concentrated in the mineral veins where cinnabar is found.

B It can on some occasions stay inactive in mineral veins for almost five years before it begins to spread.

C It spreads through an environment more gradually than does cinnabar in most geological settings.

D It does not prevent a few common varieties of cinnabar ore from releasing toxins.

E It can occasionally damage fish populations by poisoning their gills.

Conclusion: spreading chalcedony in the Redstone Mine in order to preserve the surviving workers will be successful. We need find an strengthner.

Need to keep a note here that the argument is talking about surviving members. This means chalcedony must be spread after the leak is done.
This means we need to find an answer which is very effective to contain the disaster but ineffective to prevent it from happening.

Let's look at the options.

A: contender. strong indeed
B: contender. weak one because It will still have issues after 5 years
C: irrelevant
D: contender. weak one because it is not applicable in all cases
E: irrelevant

IMO A is a great choice to go with.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GRE 1: Q165 V153
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
pkshankar wrote:
This is straight A, let us take a look at the options:

B - weakens by stating that chalcedony stays inactive for 5 years i.e. it does not prevent the release of harmful chemicals for this period. We are looking for a choice that lends more credence to the fact that spreading chalcedony in that area would save the workers there.

C - if anything this weakens the conclusion by stating that chalcedony takes more time to spread and hence be effective.

D - this clearly weakens by stating that it does not prevent a few chalcedony varieties from releasing toxins hence workers could still be afflicted.

E - states a negative aspect of chalcedony but we are looking for an answer choice that would compel us to use chalcedony in that area.

A - is the answer as it strengthens the conclusion by strengthening the assumption that the author.

The answer could be arrived at through more flexible approach. Cause(introducing chalcedony) ->effect(reducing mercury leak)
Answer choice A strengthens the view that indeed cause causes effect
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I am not able to decipher the argument at all.
Does it mean Chalcedony needs to be sprinkled like pesticide. Could you please take up this one ? VeritasKarishma
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 4
Send PM
I still can't understand how A is correct.

The argument says Chalcedony needs to be spread to stop bioaccumulation. If Chalcedony already occurs near cinnabar ore , what is the need to spread it anyways , it should arrest bioaccumulation by default right?

Option C makes more sense to me because is gives a reason why Chalcedony needs to be spread..

what am i missing here?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [3]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aaba wrote:
Toxic bioaccumulation, a mining hazard induced by the mercury compounds transferred from unrefined cinnabar ore, presently afflicts 7 of every 10 workers in the Redstone Mine. A second mineral which occurs in the same environment, chalcedony, restricts the release of toxins from cinnabar ore. Mining chemists suggest spreading chalcedony in the Redstone Mine in order to preserve the surviving workers.

Which of the following, if true about chalcedony, provides the strongest evidence that the suggestion will be successful?

A It accumulates in deposits which are concentrated in the mineral veins where cinnabar is found.

B It can on some occasions stay inactive in mineral veins for almost five years before it begins to spread.

C It spreads through an environment more gradually than does cinnabar in most geological settings.

D It does not prevent a few common varieties of cinnabar ore from releasing toxins.

What is the source of this CR? Doesn't look like an official question. The options are somewhat ambiguous and not easy to comprehend.

Premises:

- Toxins from unrefined cinnabar ore presently afflict 7 of every 10 workers in the Redstone Mine.
- A second mineral which occurs in the same environment, chalcedony, restricts the release of toxins from cinnabar ore.

Mining chemists suggest spreading chalcedony in the Redstone Mine in order to preserve the surviving workers.

We need to say that the suggestion will be successful - so spreading chalcedony will preserve the surviving workers.

This tells us that if we spread chalcedony, it will accumulate in places where cinnabar is found. Well, then it makes it likely that it will be able to stop the toxins from releasing from cinnabar.

Another interpretation could be that it is already found concentrated in places where cinnabar is found. Then how will spreading help and hence the confusion. But since no other option helps, we should take the previous interpretation.

Irrelevant. We are planning on spreading it ourselves. What it does normally we don't care.

The point is, if we spread it, will it preserve the health of workers? What it normally does is irrelevant.

This weakens our suggestion.

Irrelevant.

Answer (A)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Bunuel: Source: GMAC Paper Testsx
i think this source should be removed.

This question wasted lot of time and as expert mentioned, this doesn't seem to be an official question.

please check

thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
aaba wrote:

Which of the following, if true about chalcedony, provides the strongest evidence that the suggestion will be successful? .

If it accumlates then it will result in higher concentration which will result in spreading the other harmful chemicals

THis will certainly weaken since if it doesn't activate instantaneosly then the harmful chemicals will spread unchecked

more gradually is akward meaning if i infer right i guess it talks about slow spreading with inevitabily will harm the process of eradication of harmful agents

This will certainly weaken the cause since if common variables are not eleminated the dangerous chemicals will presist

Even though it's out of context it will certainly weaken since it should be a sustainable alternative rather than affecting the environment

Therefore IMO A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Hi Expert,

Request you to explain this as I am unable to figure it out.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Toxic bioaccumulation, a mining hazard induced by the mercury compound [#permalink]
Option elimination -

A It accumulates in deposits which are concentrated in the mineral veins where cinnabar is found. - ok.

B It can on some occasions stay inactive in mineral veins for almost five years before it begins to spread. - This talks about the general activity or inactivity of chalcedony. What we are concerned about is when we spread chalcedony - does it help reduce the release of toxins? This option is out of scope.

C It spreads through an environment more gradually than does cinnabar in most geological settings. - comparison of chalcedony spread with the canibar spread is irrelevant. Out of scope.

D It does not prevent a few common varieties of cinnabar ore from releasing toxins. - weakener

E It can occasionally damage fish populations by poisoning their gills. - out of scope.
GMAT Club Bot
Toxic bioaccumulation, a mining hazard induced by the mercury compound [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts