Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Businessx   Short Passagex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Re: Historians remain divided over the role of banks in facilitating eco [#permalink]
VIBHOJAIN wrote:
I want to understand the difference among the choices of Q1.
I request experts to help me with it please.

Hi VIBHOJAIN,

Please refer this link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/historians-remain-divided-over-the-role-of-banks-in-facilitating-eco-222700.html#p1968553

Let me know if you still have doubts.
Thanks.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Historians remain divided over the role of banks in facilitating eco [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Question 1

VIBHOJAIN wrote:
I want to understand the difference among the choices of Q1.
I request experts to help me with it please.

To answer general questions like this one, it’s good to first break down the structure of the passage as a whole:

Paragraph 1:

• The author describes the lack of consensus (“Historians remain divided”) regarding a certain topic (“the role of banks in facilitating economic growth in the United States in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries”).
  • The author then presents the argument of scholars who believe that “banks played a minor role in the nation’s growing economy.”

Paragraph 2:

• The author presents the argument of different scholars who contend that banks played a large role--that “banks were crucial in transforming the early national economy.”
  • The key phrase here is “in contrast”--we have two opposing arguments.
  • By presenting these two opposing arguments, the author supports the statement that "historians remain divided."

Now let’s now go through each choice, keeping in mind that we are looking for the primary purpose of the passage.

Quote:
A. compare the economic role played by southern banks with the economic role played by banks in the rest of the United States during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries

The southern banks are mentioned as an exception to the general opinion (held by some scholars) that banks played a large role--so it's a detail about one of the two opposing views presented in the passage. But this detail is presented within a much broader context that revolves around the division among historians.

While the passage does mention the role played by southern banks, the primary purpose of the passage is about the division between historians, not about comparing southern banks to other banks in the US.

Let's eliminate (A).

Quote:
B. reevaluate a conventional interpretation of the role played by banks in the American economy during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries

First, we know that the passage discusses two interpretations of the role played by banks, not just one. Second, the author does not evaluate (or reevaluate) either of those interpretations. Instead, the author simply provides a summary of each.

We can get rid of (B).

Quote:
C. present different interpretations of the role played by banks in the American economy during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries

Here the key words are present, different, and interpretations. In he first sentence of the passage, the author claims that "historians remain divided." Elaborating on this statement, the author shows us (or presents) two fundamentally different scholarly positions (interpretations): 1) that banks played a minor role and 2) that banks played large role.

The overarching goal is to show the reader that there are different interpretations when it comes to the role played by banks.

(C) seems pretty accurate, so let's keep it for now.

Quote:
D. analyze how the increasing number of banks in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries affected the American economy

The passage does mention the increasing number of banks in the late 18th and early 19th centuries (lines 19-22). And the passage does state that this increase affected the American economy. But does the passage analyze how this increase affected the American economy? Not really.

The author simply presents two opposing views. The increasing number of banks in the late 18th and early 19th centuries is relevant to one of those views, but this detail does not represent the overall purpose of the passage.

(C) was a much better choice, so let's get rid of (D).

Quote:
E. examine how scholarly opinion regarding the role played by banks in the American economy during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries has changed over time

You might be tempted by this answer because the author discusses scholarly opinions and introduces the second opinion as being supported by a “growing number of historians.” Sure, this suggests some change over time, but the author doesn't examine or focus on that change.

Instead, the author focuses on the different opinions held by historians. We can eliminate (E).

By process of elimination, (C) is our answer.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
gamerguy0074 wrote:
GMATNinja
Please help in explaining the second and last questions this passage.. Your help is much appreciated

Quote:
(420) The passage suggests that the scholars mentioned in line 4 would argue that the reason banks tended not to fund manufacturing and transportation projects in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries was that

As explained in the last sentence of the first paragraph, financial institutions (such as banks) followed conservative lending practices and shunned projects that were uncertain (i.e. risky) and capital-intensive, such as manufacturing and transportation projects. This implies that banks following conservative lending practices would prefer less risky projects.

So we know that banks tended not to fund manufacturing and transportation projects in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Why?... because those banks, which followed conservative lending practices, preferred less risky projects. This reason is summarized in choice (B):
Quote:
(B) [manufacturing and transportation] projects entailed a level of risk that was too great for banks’ conservative lending practices

As for the last question,
Quote:
(423) Which of the following statements best describes the function of the last sentence of the passage?
A. It provides evidence tending to undermine the viewpoint of the scholars mentioned in line 5.
B. It resolves a conflict over the role of banks summarized in the first paragraph.
C. It clarifies some of the reasons state legislatures began granting more bank charters.
D. It qualifies a claim made earlier in the passage about the impact of banks on the American economy in the early nineteenth century.
E. It supports a claim made earlier in the passage about how the expansion of credit affected the economy.

The purpose of the second paragraph is to explain the historians' belief (or "claim") that banks were crucial in transforming the early national economy. Does this claim have any stated limitations? Yes--as explained in the last sentence of the passage, those same historians argued that, in the South, there was an exception to this general trend. So the last sentence modifies and limits ("qualifies") the historians' claim that banks were crucial in transforming the early national economy, and the answer is (D).

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja,

To be clear is the suggestion here that E is wrong solely because of its use of "support"? The rest of E is correct to me. In fact, it's taken verbatim:
"...expansion and democratization of credit in the early nineteenth century became the driving force of the American economy" (according to Paul Gilje)

Would you also be able to comment whether on the exam, the "Lines" (e.g. Line 5) are numbered? I see references to specific lines in the answer choices so are we supposed to figure that out on our own?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply

Question 5

CEdward wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
gamerguy0074 wrote:
GMATNinja
Please help in explaining the second and last questions this passage.. Your help is much appreciated

Quote:
(423) Which of the following statements best describes the function of the last sentence of the passage?
A. It provides evidence tending to undermine the viewpoint of the scholars mentioned in line 5.
B. It resolves a conflict over the role of banks summarized in the first paragraph.
C. It clarifies some of the reasons state legislatures began granting more bank charters.
D. It qualifies a claim made earlier in the passage about the impact of banks on the American economy in the early nineteenth century.
E. It supports a claim made earlier in the passage about how the expansion of credit affected the economy.

The purpose of the second paragraph is to explain the historians' belief (or "claim") that banks were crucial in transforming the early national economy. Does this claim have any stated limitations? Yes--as explained in the last sentence of the passage, those same historians argued that, in the South, there was an exception to this general trend. So the last sentence modifies and limits ("qualifies") the historians' claim that banks were crucial in transforming the early national economy, and the answer is (D).

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja,

To be clear is the suggestion here that E is wrong solely because of its use of "support"? The rest of E is correct to me. In fact, it's taken verbatim:
"...expansion and democratization of credit in the early nineteenth century became the driving force of the American economy" (according to Paul Gilje)

Would you also be able to comment whether on the exam, the "Lines" (e.g. Line 5) are numbered? I see references to specific lines in the answer choices so are we supposed to figure that out on our own?

As you suggested, the problem with (E) is that the final sentence does not SUPPORT the idea that the expansion of credit became the driving force of the American economy. Rather, it LIMITS, or qualifies, that claim by saying that the expansion of credit did not have as large of an impact in the South. For that reason, we can eliminate (E).

One thing to be careful about on question 5 is “word-matching.” Just because an answer choice contains terminology or language borrowed from the passage does not mean that the answer choice is correct. This is actually something to be mindful of on all CR/RC questions. As silly as it may sound, be sure to understand the meaning of an answer choice and not just match words with the passage.

The lines on the GMAT will not be numbered, but if you are asked a question about a particular sentence, word, or phrase found in the passage, the test will often indicate where that is found in the passage, typically by highlighting it. Pretty!

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Can some explain 422 and 423. I've selected option B for both the questions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
PradeepVemuri wrote:
Can some explain 422 and 423. I've selected option B for both the questions.

I think if you read page1 , you would find why you falter in Q422 ( qualifies means limits and that's key to the question) . read post1, post2

423: atpost3
( the key to understand this questions is : to banks were seen as monopolistic institutions controlled by an elite group of planters.

I was pretty clear after reading these posts. Its better you mention specific doubts, if any.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
It seems like a very trivial doubt that I have, but want to go ahead and post it anyways.

In the first question, It asks about the primary PURPOSE of the passage. I can't help but think that the OA would have been more fitting had the question asked for the MAIN IDEA instead of the PURPOSE. I was confused between B and C, but marked B thinking that B is talking more about the purpose rather than C. C was of course the MAIN IDEA of the passage. Anyone can clarify on this doubt please ? Thanks for the help :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
It took me 14 minutes to solve the passage but I got it all correct! For the first time in my GMAT journey!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
dipen22 wrote:
It seems like a very trivial doubt that I have, but want to go ahead and post it anyways.

In the first question, It asks about the primary PURPOSE of the passage. I can't help but think that the OA would have been more fitting had the question asked for the MAIN IDEA instead of the PURPOSE. I was confused between B and C, but marked B thinking that B is talking more about the purpose rather than C. C was of course the MAIN IDEA of the passage. Anyone can clarify on this doubt please ? Thanks for the help :)

Hello, dipen22. It sounds as if you read too much into the phrasing of a patent question: main idea and primary purpose are used synonymously in these "big picture" questions. (I have also seen central idea, but probably on a different test.) As you continue to practice, you will get a feel for the different question types, to the point that you will be able to engage directly with the answer choices (i.e. without pondering what the question stem is driving at). Just learn from this one and apply that knowledge to similar questions you may encounter down the line.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Schools: ISB'22
Send PM
C. present different interpretations of the role played by banks in the American economy during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [3]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jarbit wrote:
It took me 14 minutes to solve the passage but I got it all correct! For the first time in my GMAT journey!

Congratulations, jarbit. I know the thrill of such an achievement. At first, I thought many RC questions had arbitrary answers, but once I took it upon myself to dissect the answer choices and get to the bottom of what, exactly, made each one incorrect or less debatable, I started to get more questions correct. With consistent results, you learn to trust your methods, so keep it up.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]

Send PM
Kudos