Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 05:04 It is currently 19 May 2024, 05:04
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15290 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nks2611 wrote:
hi,
expert , i am confused with sub-verb , to me it not one of the potential investors should be plural ?

if not check this example

he is one one of the persons who make money .

here why do we need work not works ?

please clarify
thanks

In your example the relative pronoun "who" refers to "persons" - the subject of the verb "make" is "who", i.e. "persons" ( not "one"). Your sentence implies that there are many persons who make (plural) money - he is one of them.

Now consider the following statement:
One of the persons makes money. Here the subject of the verb "makes" is "one", not "persons". This sentence implies that there are many persons, but only one makes money.

The subject sentence is of the latter form. Hence your comparison is not correct.
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy [#permalink]
I have a doubt regarding option C, why is that choice wrong? Can you please explain.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63926 [0]
Given Kudos: 1789
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
vnigam21 wrote:
I have a doubt regarding option C, why is that choice wrong? Can you please explain.

Here is the sentence using choice (C):

"Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded."

The pronoun "them" is ambiguous... who will sign the merger agreement? The bank itself is singular, so the only possible referent in this sentence is the potential investors, but it probably doesn't make sense for all potential investors to sign any sort of agreement. Is the agreement to be signed by executives of First Interstate Bank? Shareholders? Board members? If those people aren't explicitly mentioned in the sentence, "them" can't refer to any of them.

Also, the use of the subjunctive "be signed" is not necessary in this case. For example, you would say, "I will not eat my soup until the fly is removed", not "I will not eat my soup until the fly be removed."

You could, however, use the subjunctive to express a hope/request/demand. For example, "I demand that the fly be removed from my soup."

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
daagh Bishal123456789 AjiteshArun GMATNinjaTwo

How the sentence is correct since the then clause is missing if were, would why the would part is missing ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 3160
Send PM
chunjuwu wrote:
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were - A is the correct response

B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was SV agreement error at the end

C. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by themwith a provision for penalties if the deal were - "Them" has no antecedent

D. are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was - SV error

E. are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were
- SV error
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 697 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
I agree A is the only possible answer here but how come "that" refers to "agreement" as "agreement is signed" this part has verb and that is jumping to agreement and referring to agreement.

chunjuwu wrote:
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

(A) is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were

(B) is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was

(C) is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were

(D) are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was

(E) are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A simple approach to this problem will be:

Rule out D and E because of S-V number mismatch.

Rule out C because, it uses the imperative form of the verb - be signed - inappropriately without the other paraphernalia required for employing the present subjunctive mood. In addition what does the pronoun them stand for? Is it for the investors or the bankers or both?

Rule out B because, it uses the wrong idiom – offer for byiung - rather than - offer to buy.

You are happily left with A, which avoids the wrong idiom, the S-V number disagreement and the inapt present subjunctive.

Hi daagh,
Can you please explain when to use 'for verb+ing' and when to use 'to +verb', since both kinda are used to show intent or a reason for the action.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
chunjuwu wrote:

(A) is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were

(B) is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was

(C) is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were

(D) are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was

(E) are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were

Can someone tell me where the marker for subjunctive mood is in the question? A little confused here. Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7671 [1]
Given Kudos: 216
Send PM