Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 615
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [6]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of [#permalink]
Hi all,

In regards to answer D, "because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world," , how do you know "the largest of the ancient world" is the modifier for "the library at Alexandria". Why could it not modify "the destruction of the library at Alexandria" or "the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world"?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
shen0150 It's okay to use meaning to choose the target of a modifier, as long as there is nothing structural forcing us to apply the modifier in the wrong way. There's no clear meaning to calling the destruction or the result "the largest of the ancient world," and there certainly is a clear meaning if we apply that modifier to "library," which also has the benefit of sitting right next to the modifier.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 121
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I chose option B. The reason was that in "AD 391" an event happened and "later generations" suffered. In the original sentence and in other options, it looks that later generations suffered in AD 391 only.
Am I reading it wrong?
Please tell.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
amritakeswani wrote:
I chose option B. The reason was that in "AD 391" an event happened and "later generations" suffered. In the original sentence and in other options, it looks that later generations suffered in AD 391 only.
Am I reading it wrong?
Please tell.

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting your question correctly, but it sounds like your problem with (D) is that the meaning deviates from the meaning in (A)?

Remember, as explained in this post, there is nothing special about the meaning in choice (A), and (A) does not give us the "intended" meaning! You have to FIND the sentence where the meaning makes the most sense, regardless of how that sentence compares to choice (A).

So which makes more sense: that later generations suffered ONLY in AD 391, or that an event happened in AD 391 and THEN later generations suffered?

I hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
GRE 1: Q168 V160
Send PM
does "in A.D. 391" modify the clause following it or does it modify the non-underlined portion "later generations..."? I was leaning towards D, but I felt that the meaning conveyed was distorted... As in, "In A.D. 391, later generations lost all but the Iliad....". How can later generations lose something in A.D. 391? I suspect my understanding is flawed, so how can I determine in the future which portion of the sentence "in A.D. 391" would modify?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
ron - We can also present the result aspect by using "and thus"
The car hit the boy, and therefore he was injured badly?

So, in E sentence the and used to present the result aspect is correct?

Can you suggest the other flaw in E option
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
[quote="superfreak"]In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.

(A) resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,

(B) the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and

(C) because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,

(D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,

(E) Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was

we need a causal relation between two action. choice b and e do not show the causal relation and, so, are wrong.

"the destroying" as a pure noun dose not exist in english. "destroying" as gerund exist in english.

"because of the result of" is redundant but not a wordy. gmat dont like redundancy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 630 Q32 V40
Send PM
samsung1234 wrote:
does "in A.D. 391" modify the clause following it or does it modify the non-underlined portion "later generations..."? I was leaning towards D, but I felt that the meaning conveyed was distorted... As in, "In A.D. 391, later generations lost all but the Iliad....". How can later generations lose something in A.D. 391? I suspect my understanding is flawed, so how can I determine in the future which portion of the sentence "in A.D. 391" would modify?

I have this same question. Any help please?

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dufa wrote:
samsung1234 wrote:

I have this same question. Any help please?

Hello Dufa,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe that we can help resolve your doubt. Here, "In A.D. 391" is indeed modifying the clause " later generations lost..."; although this may seem illogical, this construction is simply a somewhat abstract way of saying that due to an event in A.D 391, it became impossible for future generations to possess or access the works of literature mentioned here. "later generations" can be said to have "lost" these works at that point in time, despite the fact that they did not exist at the time, because it became permanently impossible for anyone to access those works ever again.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1138
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
Send PM
Hi,
In D, isn't "In A.D. 391, as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world, later generations lost .." imply that later generations lost .. in AD 391. Isn't that absurd? I know all other options are wrong, but how is D right?
Please help GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
harshsahay wrote:
Hi,
In D, isn't "In A.D. 391, as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world, later generations lost .." imply that later generations lost .. in AD 391. Isn't that absurd? I know all other options are wrong, but how is D right?

Hello harshsahay,

As we mentioned in our post above, the construction "In A.D 391...later generations lost" is simply a somewhat abstract way of saying that due to an event in A.D 391, it became impossible for future generations to possess or access the works of literature mentioned here. "later generations" can be said to have "lost" these works at that point in time, despite the fact that they did not exist at the time, because it became permanently impossible for anyone to access those works ever again.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
harshsahay wrote:
Hi,

I feel your pain here. You could even argue that by beginning the sentence with "In 391 AD" and then having the subject of the main clause be "later generations" there's almost no way to avoid a funky meaning. If, for instance, the verb phrase had been "would lose," it would seem as though the future generations hadn't lost the epics yet, but would in the future. But that wouldn't make sense either. If the epics were destroyed in 391 AD how could future generations lose those epics at a later date?

So the author must have meant that future generations were impacted by the events of 391 AD even if those future generations weren't around yet. I don't love it either, but I also wouldn't say it's inherently wrong.

But the real takeaway is less about why (D) is OK, and more about what to do when you encounter this type of situation.

Most importantly, the part of the sentence we don't love isn't underlined! We can't change it. And a big part of SC is figuring out where to focus our attention. In this case, you'd want to accept that you can't alter the odd meaning. Instead, we need to go in search of concrete errors that DO change from option to option.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear Experts,

I have no any problem with correct choice. However, I have a question on (E)

I understand that we can eliminate (E) because it literally changes the meaning.
But I want to make sure that

(E) Alexandria???s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was

Is the result was grammatically correct? I know that "the result was" but I am not sure whether it is correct to omit "that". I literally have a problem with a type of question that there is "ellipsis" or "omitted word" in the correct choice.

Please, help provide a guideline to overcome if there is ellipsis or omitted word :)

Thank you in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Can someone please explain why is E incorrect?

Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
I am not sure whether it is correct to omit "that".

No, "that" cannot be omitted when that + [complete sentence] is used as a noun.
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AlexSgmat wrote:
Can someone please explain why is E incorrect?

Hello AlexSgmat,

To answer your query, Option E alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that later generations lost a large number of significant literary works due to the destruction of the largest of the ancient libraries, specifically, in Alexandria; the intended meaning is that later generations lost a large number of significant literary works due to the destruction of the library at Alexandria, which was the largest library of all ancient libraries.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
superfreak wrote:
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.

(A) resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, What does it mean to be the largest library of the ancient world? wrong

(B) the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and Same as A. Additionally, the destroying is modifying the later generations - makes no sense

(C) because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world, unnecessarily wordy - because of the result of and of the library

(D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world, okay

(E) Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was missing a 'that' at the end

So D is right.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts