GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 02 Jul 2020, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Oct 2017
Posts: 236
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 20:08
1
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.
A. resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
B. the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
C. because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
D. as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
E. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was


Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,
I start to doubt that my interpretation about participle modifier is incorrect after reading a correct example.

One correct example:
i dropped the groceries onto the floor, scaring the baby.
this is a "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what scared the baby? well, my dropping the groceries onto the floor did.
did *i* directly scare the baby? no.

similary,
the original sentence
resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,
anyone think this is another "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what resulted the loss? the destruction of the largest library.
Did "later generation" directly result from the destruction? no, their lost result from detruciton

Any expert help to clarify what's the difference between above two sentences?
Please point out my fault.

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~


Hi zoezhuyan!

I think your understanding is generally correct -- in general, it's perfectly fine to have a modifier which modifies the entire action, not just a noun. However, the problem here is resulting from. When we use "resulting from", it must always modify a noun or a noun phrase. If we instead use "as a result...", then that can modify an entire phrase/clause/action. For example,

CORRECT: Our bags got wet, as a result of the rain.
INCORRECT: Our bags got wet, resulting from the rain.

In both cases, we are modifying the entire action (our bags getting wet). However, we can't use "resulting from" to describe the whole action. This would be a correct use of "resulting from":

CORRECT: The damage to the house resulting from the rain was extensive.

Here, "resulting from the rain" is modifying "damage", which is a noun.

I hope that helps! :-)
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 342
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 22:18
1
MagooshExpert wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.
A. resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
B. the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
C. because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
D. as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
E. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was


Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,
I start to doubt that my interpretation about participle modifier is incorrect after reading a correct example.

One correct example:
i dropped the groceries onto the floor, scaring the baby.
this is a "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what scared the baby? well, my dropping the groceries onto the floor did.
did *i* directly scare the baby? no.

similary,
the original sentence
resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,
anyone think this is another "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what resulted the loss? the destruction of the largest library.
Did "later generation" directly result from the destruction? no, their lost result from detruciton

Any expert help to clarify what's the difference between above two sentences?
Please point out my fault.

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~


Hi zoezhuyan!

I think your understanding is generally correct -- in general, it's perfectly fine to have a modifier which modifies the entire action, not just a noun. However, the problem here is resulting from. When we use "resulting from", it must always modify a noun or a noun phrase. If we instead use "as a result...", then that can modify an entire phrase/clause/action. For example,

CORRECT: Our bags got wet, as a result of the rain.
INCORRECT: Our bags got wet, resulting from the rain.

In both cases, we are modifying the entire action (our bags getting wet). However, we can't use "resulting from" to describe the whole action. This would be a correct use of "resulting from":

CORRECT: The damage to the house resulting from the rain was extensive.

Here, "resulting from the rain" is modifying "damage", which is a noun.

I hope that helps! :-)


MagooshExpert
Thanks Carolyn,
would you please list more words like "result", which only modify noun or noun phrases?

In case of I make the same mistake

Have a nice day
>_~
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Oct 2017
Posts: 236
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 18:49
zoezhuyan wrote:
MagooshExpert
Thanks Carolyn,
would you please list more words like "result", which only modify noun or noun phrases?

In case of I make the same mistake

Have a nice day
>_~


Hi zoezhuyan!

Here are some similar phrases which can only modify nouns or noun phrases:

due to
attributable to
caused by


I believe those are the most common ones :-)
-Carolyn
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Dec 2017
Posts: 146
Reviews Badge
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 18:29
D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
Isn't "the largest of the ancient world" wrongly modifying Alexandria?

Can some one please explain this .
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1906
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 20:42
tejyr wrote:
D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
Isn't "the largest of the ancient world" wrongly modifying Alexandria?

Can some one please explain this .

Hi tejyr, the largest of the ancient world is called an appositive modifier, describing library at Alexandria.

It's like this:

Donald Trump, the US President, has had a bumpy ride in office till now.

Again, the US President is an appositive modifier, modifying Donald Trump.

as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria is actually a prepositional phrase. Such Prepositional phrases are Adverbial modifiers and so, don't modify Nouns (such as the largest of the ancient world in this case).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Appositives, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT-99th Percentile, MBA - ISB Hyderabad
EducationAisle Online GMAT Classes

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Feb 2018
Posts: 38
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 06:46
Hi,

I was selecting D, but I rejected it because I thought the largest of the ancient world is modifying Alexandria. Can you please shed some light on such kind of modifier?

Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT and GRE tutors
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 3544
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 21:27
1
3
Priyanka2018 wrote:
Hi,

I was selecting D, but I rejected it because I thought the largest of the ancient world is modifying Alexandria. Can you please shed some light on such kind of modifier?

Thanks

It's often the case that a modifier doesn't touch the noun it describes, and when we see this, it's usually because there's a prepositional phrase separating the two.

Take a silly example: "The car in my garage, a Toyota Corolla, hasn't had an oil change in 8 years." Notice that "a Toyota Corolla" is describing the car even though it's touching "my garage." This is fine, as no sensible reader would see that sentence and assume that my garage was the Toyota Corolla. Rather, we can think of "a Toyota Corolla" as modifying the entire noun phrase, "the car in my garage," as opposed to, say, the car illegally parked at the Dunkin' Donuts down the street. (Mmm... doughnuts.)

It's the same issue here. "The largest of the ancient world" is modifying the entire noun phrase "the library at Alexandria", as opposed to the library near the Dunkin' Donuts where my car illegally parked. :) (Mmm... doughnuts.)

Takeaway: if a modifier doesn't touch what it should modify, and an intervening prepositional phrase is the main culprit, the construction isn't inherently wrong. We always need to use context and logic when evaluating these answer choices.

I hope that helps!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutors @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | YouTube | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Dec 2018
Posts: 8
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 21:24
For choice C, why "the largest of the ancient world" is correct? Is it supposed to be "The largest library of the ancient world"?
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 1168
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 08:27
Official Answer:

Logical predication; Rhetorical construction; Grammatical
construction


Because it is introduced by a participle, the phrase that begins resulting from illogically modifies later generations. Substituting the idiom as a result of for resulting from corrects this error. The largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria is both cumbersome and ambiguous because it suggests that the ancient world was located at (and only at) Alexandria.

This problem is best corrected by breaking the series of phrases into two distinct parts: the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world. Here, the second phrase clearly modifies the first.

a. Resulting from illogically modifies later generations. The series of prepositional phrases is confusing and ambiguous.
b. The destroying of is wordy and awkward. And creates a second main clause, which would need to be appropriately punctuated with a comma before and.
c. Because of the result of is redundant.
d. Correct. As a result of begins the phrase clearly and correctly in this sentence; the library rather than the ancient world is properly located at Alexandria; the largest of the ancient world correctly modifies library.
e. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world is an illogical reference. The result was must be followed by that.
_________________
Manish
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Feb 2020
Posts: 16
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2020, 22:31
Hi all,

In regards to answer D, "because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world," , how do you know "the largest of the ancient world" is the modifier for "the library at Alexandria". Why could it not modify "the destruction of the library at Alexandria" or "the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world"?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1745
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2020, 22:40
1
shen0150 It's okay to use meaning to choose the target of a modifier, as long as there is nothing structural forcing us to apply the modifier in the wrong way. There's no clear meaning to calling the destruction or the result "the largest of the ancient world," and there certainly is a clear meaning if we apply that modifier to "library," which also has the benefit of sitting right next to the modifier.
_________________

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 1046
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2020, 01:43
[quote="superfreak"]In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.


(A) resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,

(B) the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and

(C) because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,

(D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,

(E) Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was

there are some other errors.
in choice A, "in AD 391" can modify which clause , the "resulting.." clause" or the main clause. so, this is an error.

in choice B , E and C, there is no causal relation between two idea. "and" can not show a causal relation but two parallel action
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2019
Posts: 6
WE: Research (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2020, 16:48
I chose option B. The reason was that in "AD 391" an event happened and "later generations" suffered. In the original sentence and in other options, it looks that later generations suffered in AD 391 only.
Am I reading it wrong?
Please tell.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT and GRE tutors
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 3544
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2020, 05:34
1
amritakeswani wrote:
I chose option B. The reason was that in "AD 391" an event happened and "later generations" suffered. In the original sentence and in other options, it looks that later generations suffered in AD 391 only.
Am I reading it wrong?
Please tell.

Posted from my mobile device

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting your question correctly, but it sounds like your problem with (D) is that the meaning deviates from the meaning in (A)?

Remember, as explained in this post, there is nothing special about the meaning in choice (A), and (A) does not give us the "intended" meaning! You have to FIND the sentence where the meaning makes the most sense, regardless of how that sentence compares to choice (A).

So which makes more sense: that later generations suffered ONLY in AD 391, or that an event happened in AD 391 and THEN later generations suffered?

I hope this helps!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutors @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | YouTube | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of   [#permalink] 23 May 2020, 05:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne