GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 02:29
Sorry I still have a doubt in this regard.So D and C Has the modifier the largest of the ancient world. SO that's something referring to the library and not Alexandria right?? So if that is the case then these options have modifier error. Sorry can someone please explain this to me.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 02:50
longhaul123 wrote:
Sorry I still have a doubt in this regard.So D and C Has the modifier the largest of the ancient world. SO that's something referring to the library and not Alexandria right?? So if that is the case then these options have modifier error. Sorry can someone please explain this to me.

No, the modifier does refer to "library". So, you prefer this -
1 - library,the largest of the ancient world, at Alexandria...[than]
2 - library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world..

I understand your point, but there are ample instances of this kind of usage in OG.

X or Y, Modifier 1: Modifier 1 modifies X.

It becomes easier if you note that the "largest of .." is not meant to modify all libraries around the world, but to the one at Alexandria. If you think on this line, it will become easier for you to see how the modification is taking place. So, its better to keep "at Alexandria" stick to the "library".

Moreover, from a test taker's perspective you should not think on this issue unless you see the above split - 1 and 2. So, if you can narrow down to C and D - look for differences, instead of lingering on similarities :
"as a result" vs "because" | why there is only "result" in D or why "because" is not present in C | .. and so on.

Cheers !!

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 20:24
D, the best choice, uses the idiomatic as a result o/and conveys information unambiguously. In A, the phrase that begins resulting from cannot properly modify later generations. The word order of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria generates ambiguity: one possible reading is that the ancient world was located at Alexandria. Choice B is incorrect. Although an "-ing" verb such as destroying can sometimes act as a noun, in this case the usage is strained. Again, at Alexandria is ambiguous (as in choice A). Choice B also uses resulted ungrammatically and produces a run-on sentence (In A.D. 391, the destroying... resulted and later generations lost). In C, the phrase because of the result of is unidiomatic as well as redundant. The structure of E illogically suggests that there was more than one largest library of the ancient world and that only Alexandria's was destroyed. Furthermore, the result was should instead be the result was that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 02:34
superfreak wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2016

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 44

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.

(A) resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
(B) the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
(C) because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(E) Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was

Note : This question was deleted in Verbal Review 2017.

because gmat sc tests us on meaning problem. we categorize the 3 main meaning errors.

meaning is not logic
meaning is redundent
meaning is unclear.

choice e ilustrate the unclear meaning error. this error is hard. what is "result" in choice e. it is good that "and the result of this acccident is that..." is the last part of the choice e.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 23:30
D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,

Isn't "the largest of the ancient world" wrongly modifying Alexandria?

Can some please help me with this doubt.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 16:24
this question is now included in OG verbal review 2018.

Here is an official explanation:
E. Incorrect. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world is an illogical reference. The result was must be followed by that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE: Design (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jan 2018, 08:06
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.
A. resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
B. the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
C. because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
D. as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
E. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was

Help with kudos if u found the post useful. Thanks

Originally posted by Sasindran on 27 Jan 2018, 08:05.
Last edited by Vyshak on 27 Jan 2018, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Merged. Please search before posting.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 09:35
explaining " cause and effect "
correct answer is option D

Don't stop till you get enough

Hit kudos if it helped you.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 09:36
explaining " cause and effect "
correct answer is option D

Don't stop till you get enough

Hit kudos if it helped you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 04:13
Quote:
A. resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
B. the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
C. because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
D. as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
E. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was

Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,
I start to doubt that my interpretation about participle modifier is incorrect after reading a correct example.

One correct example:
i dropped the groceries onto the floor, scaring the baby.
this is a "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what scared the baby? well, my dropping the groceries onto the floor did.
did *i* directly scare the baby? no.

similary,
the original sentence
resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,
anyone think this is another "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what resulted the loss? the destruction of the largest library.
Did "later generation" directly result from the destruction? no, their lost result from detruciton

Any expert help to clarify what's the difference between above two sentences?
Please point out my fault.

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 21:08
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:

I start to doubt that my interpretation about participle modifier is incorrect after reading a correct example.

One correct example:

similary,
the original sentence
resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,
Did "later generation" directly result from the destruction? no, their lost result from detruciton

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~

Hi zoezhuyan!

I think your understanding is generally correct -- in general, it's perfectly fine to have a modifier which modifies the entire action, not just a noun. However, the problem here is resulting from. When we use "resulting from", it must always modify a noun or a noun phrase. If we instead use "as a result...", then that can modify an entire phrase/clause/action. For example,

CORRECT: Our bags got wet, as a result of the rain.
INCORRECT: Our bags got wet, resulting from the rain.

In both cases, we are modifying the entire action (our bags getting wet). However, we can't use "resulting from" to describe the whole action. This would be a correct use of "resulting from":

CORRECT: The damage to the house resulting from the rain was extensive.

Here, "resulting from the rain" is modifying "damage", which is a noun.

I hope that helps! :-)

Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 23:18
MagooshExpert wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:

One correct example:

similary,
the original sentence

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~

Hi zoezhuyan!

I think your understanding is generally correct -- in general, it's perfectly fine to have a modifier which modifies the entire action, not just a noun. However, the problem here is resulting from. When we use "resulting from", it must always modify a noun or a noun phrase. If we instead use "as a result...", then that can modify an entire phrase/clause/action. For example,

CORRECT: Our bags got wet, as a result of the rain.
INCORRECT: Our bags got wet, resulting from the rain.

In both cases, we are modifying the entire action (our bags getting wet). However, we can't use "resulting from" to describe the whole action. This would be a correct use of "resulting from":

CORRECT: The damage to the house resulting from the rain was extensive.

Here, "resulting from the rain" is modifying "damage", which is a noun.

I hope that helps! :-)

MagooshExpert
Thanks Carolyn,
would you please list more words like "result", which only modify noun or noun phrases?

In case of I make the same mistake

Have a nice day
>_~
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 19:49
zoezhuyan wrote:
MagooshExpert
Thanks Carolyn,
would you please list more words like "result", which only modify noun or noun phrases?

Have a nice day
>_~

Hi zoezhuyan!

Here are some similar phrases which can only modify nouns or noun phrases:

due to
attributable to
caused by

I believe those are the most common ones :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 03:47
MagooshExpert wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
MagooshExpert
Thanks Carolyn,

Have a nice day
>_~

Hi zoezhuyan!

Here are some similar phrases which can only modify nouns or noun phrases:

due to
attributable to
caused by

I believe those are the most common ones :-)
-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn, MagooshExpert,
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 19:29
D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,

Can some one please explain this .
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 21:42
tejyr wrote:

Can some one please explain this .

Hi tejyr, the largest of the ancient world is called an appositive modifier, describing library at Alexandria.

It's like this:

Donald Trump, the US President, has had a bumpy ride in office till now.

Again, the US President is an appositive modifier, modifying Donald Trump.

as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria is actually a prepositional phrase. Such Prepositional phrases are Adverbial modifiers and so, don't modify Nouns (such as the largest of the ancient world in this case).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Appositives, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2018, 21:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap