GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 05:32

R1 Decisions:

HBS Chat - Decisions will be released at Noon ET  |  UVA Darden Chat  |  YouTube Live with Cornell Johnson @11am ET


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 11, 2018

     December 11, 2018

     09:00 PM EST

     10:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: IF YOU CAN DREAM IT, YOU CAN DO IT
Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 202
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 01:29
Sorry I still have a doubt in this regard.So D and C Has the modifier the largest of the ancient world. SO that's something referring to the library and not Alexandria right?? So if that is the case then these options have modifier error. Sorry can someone please explain this to me.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 140
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 01:50
longhaul123 wrote:
Sorry I still have a doubt in this regard.So D and C Has the modifier the largest of the ancient world. SO that's something referring to the library and not Alexandria right?? So if that is the case then these options have modifier error. Sorry can someone please explain this to me.


No, the modifier does refer to "library". So, you prefer this -
1 - library,the largest of the ancient world, at Alexandria...[than]
2 - library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world..

I understand your point, but there are ample instances of this kind of usage in OG.

X or Y, Modifier 1: Modifier 1 modifies X.

It becomes easier if you note that the "largest of .." is not meant to modify all libraries around the world, but to the one at Alexandria. If you think on this line, it will become easier for you to see how the modification is taking place. So, its better to keep "at Alexandria" stick to the "library".

Moreover, from a test taker's perspective you should not think on this issue unless you see the above split - 1 and 2. So, if you can narrow down to C and D - look for differences, instead of lingering on similarities :
"as a result" vs "because" | why there is only "result" in D or why "because" is not present in C | .. and so on.

Cheers !!
_________________

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 16
CAT Tests
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 19:24
D, the best choice, uses the idiomatic as a result o/and conveys information unambiguously. In A, the phrase that begins resulting from cannot properly modify later generations. The word order of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria generates ambiguity: one possible reading is that the ancient world was located at Alexandria. Choice B is incorrect. Although an "-ing" verb such as destroying can sometimes act as a noun, in this case the usage is strained. Again, at Alexandria is ambiguous (as in choice A). Choice B also uses resulted ungrammatically and produces a run-on sentence (In A.D. 391, the destroying... resulted and later generations lost). In C, the phrase because of the result of is unidiomatic as well as redundant. The structure of E illogically suggests that there was more than one largest library of the ancient world and that only Alexandria's was destroyed. Furthermore, the result was should instead be the result was that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 405
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 01:34
superfreak wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2016

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 44

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.

(A) resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
(B) the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
(C) because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(E) Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was

Note : This question was deleted in Verbal Review 2017.


because gmat sc tests us on meaning problem. we categorize the 3 main meaning errors.

meaning is not logic
meaning is redundent
meaning is unclear.

choice e ilustrate the unclear meaning error. this error is hard. what is "result" in choice e. it is good that "and the result of this acccident is that..." is the last part of the choice e.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2017
Posts: 1
CAT Tests
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 22:30
1
D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,

Isn't "the largest of the ancient world" wrongly modifying Alexandria?

Can some please help me with this doubt.
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1652
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 15:24
this question is now included in OG verbal review 2018.

Here is an official explanation:
E. Incorrect. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world is an illogical reference. The result was must be followed by that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 319
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE: Design (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jan 2018, 07:06
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.
A. resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
B. the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
C. because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
D. as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
E. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was
_________________

Help with kudos if u found the post useful. Thanks


Originally posted by Sasindran on 27 Jan 2018, 07:05.
Last edited by Vyshak on 27 Jan 2018, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Merged. Please search before posting.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 39
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 08:35
explaining " cause and effect "
correct answer is option D
_________________

Don't stop till you get enough

Hit kudos if it helped you.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 39
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 08:36
explaining " cause and effect "
correct answer is option D
_________________

Don't stop till you get enough

Hit kudos if it helped you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 258
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 03:13
Quote:
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.
A. resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
B. the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
C. because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
D. as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
E. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was


Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,
I start to doubt that my interpretation about participle modifier is incorrect after reading a correct example.

One correct example:
i dropped the groceries onto the floor, scaring the baby.
this is a "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what scared the baby? well, my dropping the groceries onto the floor did.
did *i* directly scare the baby? no.

similary,
the original sentence
resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,
anyone think this is another "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what resulted the loss? the destruction of the largest library.
Did "later generation" directly result from the destruction? no, their lost result from detruciton

Any expert help to clarify what's the difference between above two sentences?
Please point out my fault.

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Oct 2017
Posts: 195
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 20:08
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.
A. resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
B. the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
C. because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
D. as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
E. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was


Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,
I start to doubt that my interpretation about participle modifier is incorrect after reading a correct example.

One correct example:
i dropped the groceries onto the floor, scaring the baby.
this is a "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what scared the baby? well, my dropping the groceries onto the floor did.
did *i* directly scare the baby? no.

similary,
the original sentence
resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,
anyone think this is another "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what resulted the loss? the destruction of the largest library.
Did "later generation" directly result from the destruction? no, their lost result from detruciton

Any expert help to clarify what's the difference between above two sentences?
Please point out my fault.

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~


Hi zoezhuyan!

I think your understanding is generally correct -- in general, it's perfectly fine to have a modifier which modifies the entire action, not just a noun. However, the problem here is resulting from. When we use "resulting from", it must always modify a noun or a noun phrase. If we instead use "as a result...", then that can modify an entire phrase/clause/action. For example,

CORRECT: Our bags got wet, as a result of the rain.
INCORRECT: Our bags got wet, resulting from the rain.

In both cases, we are modifying the entire action (our bags getting wet). However, we can't use "resulting from" to describe the whole action. This would be a correct use of "resulting from":

CORRECT: The damage to the house resulting from the rain was extensive.

Here, "resulting from the rain" is modifying "damage", which is a noun.

I hope that helps! :-)
_________________

Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 258
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 22:18
MagooshExpert wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.
A. resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
B. the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
C. because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
D. as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
E. Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was


Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,
I start to doubt that my interpretation about participle modifier is incorrect after reading a correct example.

One correct example:
i dropped the groceries onto the floor, scaring the baby.
this is a "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what scared the baby? well, my dropping the groceries onto the floor did.
did *i* directly scare the baby? no.

similary,
the original sentence
resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics,
anyone think this is another "modifying the entire action" type of modifier.
what resulted the loss? the destruction of the largest library.
Did "later generation" directly result from the destruction? no, their lost result from detruciton

Any expert help to clarify what's the difference between above two sentences?
Please point out my fault.

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~


Hi zoezhuyan!

I think your understanding is generally correct -- in general, it's perfectly fine to have a modifier which modifies the entire action, not just a noun. However, the problem here is resulting from. When we use "resulting from", it must always modify a noun or a noun phrase. If we instead use "as a result...", then that can modify an entire phrase/clause/action. For example,

CORRECT: Our bags got wet, as a result of the rain.
INCORRECT: Our bags got wet, resulting from the rain.

In both cases, we are modifying the entire action (our bags getting wet). However, we can't use "resulting from" to describe the whole action. This would be a correct use of "resulting from":

CORRECT: The damage to the house resulting from the rain was extensive.

Here, "resulting from the rain" is modifying "damage", which is a noun.

I hope that helps! :-)


MagooshExpert
Thanks Carolyn,
would you please list more words like "result", which only modify noun or noun phrases?

In case of I make the same mistake

Have a nice day
>_~
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Oct 2017
Posts: 195
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 18:49
zoezhuyan wrote:
MagooshExpert
Thanks Carolyn,
would you please list more words like "result", which only modify noun or noun phrases?

In case of I make the same mistake

Have a nice day
>_~


Hi zoezhuyan!

Here are some similar phrases which can only modify nouns or noun phrases:

due to
attributable to
caused by


I believe those are the most common ones :-)
-Carolyn
_________________

Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 258
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 02:47
MagooshExpert wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
MagooshExpert
Thanks Carolyn,
would you please list more words like "result", which only modify noun or noun phrases?

In case of I make the same mistake

Have a nice day
>_~


Hi zoezhuyan!

Here are some similar phrases which can only modify nouns or noun phrases:

due to
attributable to
caused by


I believe those are the most common ones :-)
-Carolyn


Thanks Carolyn, MagooshExpert,
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Dec 2017
Posts: 157
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 18:29
D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
Isn't "the largest of the ancient world" wrongly modifying Alexandria?

Can some one please explain this .
VP
VP
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1028
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 20:42
tejyr wrote:
D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
Isn't "the largest of the ancient world" wrongly modifying Alexandria?

Can some one please explain this .

Hi tejyr, the largest of the ancient world is called an appositive modifier, describing library at Alexandria.

It's like this:

Donald Trump, the US President, has had a bumpy ride in office till now.

Again, the US President is an appositive modifier, modifying Donald Trump.

as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria is actually a prepositional phrase. Such Prepositional phrases are Adverbial modifiers and so, don't modify Nouns (such as the largest of the ancient world in this case).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Appositives, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Nov 2017
Posts: 19
Location: India
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.16
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 05:07
sayantanc2k wrote:
sandaki wrote:
daagh wrote:
I think we should not miss the fine point of the text. Please read the underlined portion yet again and you will find that this is testing a style error i.e. wrong word order.
The question is: where was the library? : It was in Alexandria; it was the largest library of the ancient world; we should not take to think that the ancient world was at Alexandria, giving an absurd meaning

That is the reason A and B are thrown out.
C is wrong because of redundancy, as all have pointed out
D is the right choice
E tends to distort that meaning that there were many libraries in Alexandria and the one that was the largest was destroyed , leaving smaller ones without destruction, This meaning is not what the text intends to convey.

Incidentally, is a B run-on? A run-on is one where the conjugation is wrong. Either a comma is simply used where a conjunction or a different punctuation such as a period or semicolon is required. B is amply conjuncted with a coordinate conjunctiuon ‘and’. The first portion is a full sentence with a subject (the destroying of) and a full verb (resulted) and the second part is a full clause. So how is B a run-on?


among the lot, D is better. But what follows "In A.D. 391," should be an event right?Not the result of the event.

Because of that I went with option E, even though I was not that happy with the last phrase " and the result was" of option E
daagh ur insight will be helpful.


The "event" that you seek is "lost". The later generations lost X in A.D. 391 - this loss was a result of the destruction of the library.


egmat, sayantanc2k
In the OA, option D, what does "the largest of the ancient world" modifies?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 405
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 04:02
superfreak wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 263
Page: 695

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.

(A) resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,

(B) the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and

(C) because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,

(D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,

(E) Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was

Note : This question was deleted in Verbal Review 2017.

Natural History Vol. 103, No. 2, February 1994
NATURE's INFINITE BOOK Jared Diamond
Stinking Birds and Burning Books
https://archive.org/stream/naturalhistory10301amer/naturalhistory10301amer_djvu.txt
http://discovermagazine.com/1993/feb/speakingwithasin177
Attachment:
12.png

Attachment:
NATURE's INFINITE BOOK Jared Diamond.pdf


meaning error on sc can be illogic meaning or unclear meaning. the first is easy to realize, the second harder to realize.
in this problem, unclear meaning is presented.

look at choice E.
E suffer two meaning error.
"Alexandra's largest library of anxient world" is different from "library at Alexandra , the largest of the world". this is analysed already.
the second meaning error is
' and the result is that" is unclear. the result of what ?. " and the result of the distruction is that" can be correct. choice E is gone.

normally, we choose D because we ear the sentence better but we do not know why choice E is wrong.

keep illogic and unclear meaning in our mind to find these meaning errors.
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Oct 2017
Posts: 725
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 06:10
(A) resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, - Appears as if later generations result from destruction

(B) the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and -Modifier not used correctly + Parallelism not mainatained with use of 'and'

(C) because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,- because result redundancy + wordy construction

(D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world, -Coorect

(E) Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was - Same as B
_________________

Give kudos if you like the post

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Feb 2018
Posts: 4
CAT Tests
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 06:46
Hi,

I was selecting D, but I rejected it because I thought the largest of the ancient world is modifying Alexandria. Can you please shed some light on such kind of modifier?

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of &nbs [#permalink] 02 Nov 2018, 06:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.