Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [2]
Given Kudos: 636
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [0]
Given Kudos: 636
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 441
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the motion of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
When each is used as an adjective after a plural subject, the verb for that plural subject remains plural.

They each account for...They is the subject of the verb account for.

In the question you're looking at, however, the each occurs alone.

... the motion of each planet in the solar system results from the combined gravitational pull of the Sun and all the other planets, each contributing according to its... ← Here each is not part of the noun phrase all the other planets.

Also, all the other planets is not a subject and it has no verb. Contributing is not a complete verb. In fact, the only subject-verb combination in that part of the sentence is the motion... results from.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the motion of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
TaizKaran wrote:
egmat Sir/Ma'am I've already finished your verbal course. There was a topic which said when each/every comes after the subject the clause becomes plural. I even remember the example which you guys stated in your concept file. The example was " The 4 largest truck fleets each account for....." Here the word "Account" is plural. So in the question if the word each comes after planets shouldn't we use their ?

Other experts also please help Magoosh ManhattanPrep VeritasKarishma GMATNinja generis

We are talking about each planet here.
"contributing..." is a verb-ing modifier modifying "each"(planet)
So the pronoun will be singular.

... other planets, each (planet) contributing according to its mass and distance from the others.

I would be wary of following many black and white "rules". In language, you can express something in ten different ways and what is correct depends on the context. In SC, you are looking for the best available option so sometimes there would be better out of two grammatically correct options and at others, you will pick out of two grammatically debatable options. It all depends on the entire question.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Allen760 wrote:
In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the motion of each planet in the solar system results from the combined gravitational pull of the Sun and of all the other planets, each contributing according to their mass and distance from the others.

(A) of all the other planets, each contributing according to their
(B) of all the other planets, with each of them contributing according to their
(C) all the other planets, each of which contributing according to its
(D) all the other planets, each contributing according to its
(E) all the other planets, each of which contribute according to their

HI GMATNinja, @jennpt , VeritasPrepErika, GMATRockstar, AndrewN , GMATCoachBen

I read the whole thread but bit confused about the each is referring to? Can you please help?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
Allen760 wrote:
In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the motion of each planet in the solar system results from the combined gravitational pull of the Sun and of all the other planets, each contributing according to their mass and distance from the others.

(C) all the other planets, each of which contributing according to its
(D) all the other planets, each contributing according to its

HI GMATNinja, @jennpt , VeritasPrepErika, GMATRockstar, AndrewN , GMATCoachBen

I read the whole thread but bit confused about the each is referring to? Can you please help?

Hello, NandishSS. I think VeritasKarishma touched on this very issue just two posts above yours, following the second each with an understood planet. There is a convenient reference earlier in the sentence to each planet, so a repetition after the comma seems fitting enough. I suppose you could make a case that since the Sun is mentioned as part of a combined gravitational pull of two grammatical entities, A and B, each could also extend to the Sun as one of a number of massive items forming the whole (i.e. the combined gravitational pull of the Sun and all the other planets, each [body] contributing according to its mass...). In either interpretation, though, the grammatical issues remain the same, and (D) is a clear winner.

Thank you for drawing my attention to the question. I would not have spent enough time with it on my own to consider an alternative interpretation of each, and I enjoy challenging my own presumptions about language.

- Andrew
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
My perfect version of this sentence:

In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the motion of each planet in the solar system results from the combined gravitational pull of the Sun and of all the other planets, each planet contributing according to its mass and distance from the others.

Here's a 2-minute video I made to help explain this question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v_M8O-HA2U&feature=emb_title

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 18 Oct 2020, 20:42.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 29 Oct 2020, 11:40, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor

(A) of all the other planets, each contributing according to their Plural pronoun "their" is incompatible with "each. Eliminate.

(B) of all the other planets, with each of them contributing according to their Same error as (A). Eliminate.

(C) all the other planets, each of which contributing according to its "which" needs to be followed by verb in base form and not verb+ing. Eliminate.

(D) all the other planets, each contributing according to its Correct answer.

(E) all the other planets, each of which contribute according to their Same error as (A). Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
egmat wrote:
uledssul wrote:
I wasn't sure of 'of all'/ 'all the other' split because they both seemed okay to me.
For the antecedents, its and their, Can somebody explain better about this?

As far as I know, you can't get rid of the choices strictly according to the ambiguity of antecedent usage.
I was thinking about the followings,
its = each of planets and the sun
their = the sun and all the other planets

Please help!

Thanks.

Hi There,

A. of all the other planets, each contributing according to their
B. of all the other planets, with each of them contributing according to their
C. all the other planets, each of which contributing according to its
D. all the other planets, each contributing according to its
E. all the other planets, each of which contribute according to their

Notice that each answer choice has “each” that makes the subject singular. Even if “each” is referring to “Sun and all the other planets”, it turns all the entities into singular. Hence, when we use “each” to talk about “Sun and all the other planets”, the pronoun that we use to refer to those entities that actually stands for “each” should be singular.

So in this problem, we have a case of pronoun antecedent number disagreement and not the ambiguity. We can eliminate Choices A, B, and E because of the use of plural “their” with singular “each”.

Choice C is incorrect because “which” should introduce a clause. There is no verb after “which” that makes the choice incorrect.

Choice D is precise and free of errors.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks, Shraddha, for the nice explanation. I selected D between C and D , because it was nice and clean but not for the explanation stated here. Can you please explain why do we need a verb after which in option C.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

(A) of all the other planets, each contributing according to their -> each requires singular pronoun. So, "their" is incorrect.
(B) of all the other planets, with each of them contributing according to their -> Same as A. Incorrect.
(C) all the other planets, each of which contributing according to its -> which indicates for a clause to follow. And, a clause must have a verb. But, we don't have a verb post "which". Incorrect.
(D) all the other planets, each contributing according to its -> This is better. Let's keep it.
(E) all the other planets, each of which contribute according to their -> Same as A. Incorrect.

So, I think D. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 386
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GPA: 3.03
WE:Marketing (Retail Banking)
Send PM
This is definitely an easy question compared with other 600-700 level Qs.

of all the other planets- Of may or not be required . We can remove 'of' . each - each planet(singular)-their (Plural) - Wrong comparison. A is Out
each(singular) - prepositional phrase - their(plural) . B is out
(C) all the other planets, each of which contributing according to its . Keep C
(D) all the other planets, each contributing according to its. Keep D
each(singular), their (Plural)
We come down to C and D easily .
Between c and D , I prefer D to C for the reason that C has an issue with the formation of the sentence. Each is an antecedent of planet. So, each of 'which' is not required here. Which refers back to what ? each of planets - wrong usage.
C is straight and does not have any issue. So, C is the right answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
can someone further explain why D is not the correct option
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Send PM
Expert Reply
drewgr wrote:
can someone further explain why D is not the correct option

Well, there's a good reason you're having trouble understanding the problem with (D): it's the correct answer! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
GMATNinja, could you please clarify whether of all the other planet is incorrect in A?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
tkorzhan1995 wrote:
GMATNinja, could you please clarify whether of all the other planet is incorrect in A?

Hello tkorzhan1995,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the use of "of all the other planets" in Option A is not incorrect; the repetition of "of" is redundant, but not incorrect.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tkorzhan1995 wrote:

That construction is illogical. Consider two examples:

1) Tim ate a combination of tacos and bananas for lunch.

Weird lunch, but it makes sense. The lunch combination consisted of two elements: tacos and bananas.

2) Tim ate a combination of tacos and of bananas for lunch

This is odd. It makes it sound as though Tim ate two different combinations. One consisted of tacos. And the other consisted of bananas. But a combination, by definition has to consist of at least two different elements. That's a problem here.

(A) has the same issue as example 2. Take another look at the relevant portion:

Quote:
("the combined gravitational pull of the Sun and of all the other planets..."

It sounds like there are two different combined gravitational pulls: one of the Sun, and one of the other planets. But again, that doesn't make sense. The combined gravitational pull has to contain at least two different elements.

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts