Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 482
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stern '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [2]

Send PM
Re: The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
NareshGargMBA wrote:
GMATNinja, My reasoning is that the phrase "slowed sharply" makes sense, while "was slowing sharply" doesn't, as "sharply" here implies a rather quick movement in the consumer spending, something that is more effectively conveyed by a non-continuous tense. Request you to please let me know if my line of reasoning is correct or not.

Yeah, I've had the same thought. I'd file this reasoning under "perfectly reasonable but not necessarily ironclad."

Put another way, if I saw "was slowing sharply" in (A), I wouldn't be totally comfortable eliminating it right away. If spending slowed over the period of a few weeks, could you argue that the slowdown is "sharp" and also unfolding continuously in the past? I really don't like it, but I'm also not 100% sure it's an error.

But if I had it down to two options, and I didn't see another decision point, would I be comfortable using that tense issue as a tie-breaker? Definitely.

In other words, I agree with your thinking. Just make sure you focus on the concrete, ironclad errors first.

Nice work!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a [#permalink]
About the usage of "As"

It is prefferable to use as to establish the comaparision, but here we are using it for reasoning in option A and B.
So is it correct ?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
HDhiman07 wrote:
About the usage of "As"

It is prefferable to use as to establish the comaparision, but here we are using it for reasoning in option A and B.
So is it correct ?

There's nothing wrong with using "as" to indicate simultaneity:

"Tim cried as he watched his daughter pour sand in his coffee."

Sure, "as" is often used for comparisons, but that's certainly not the only way "as" can be used.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter, but that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply.

(A) unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply

(B) unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply

(C) unsold goods had piled up on store shelves with a sharp slowing of consumer spending

(D) consumer spending was slowing sharply, with the piling up of unsold goods on store shelves

(E) consumer spending has slowed sharply, with unsold goods piling up on store shelves

This is a question on the sequence of tenses. Since the speaker/reporter is in the past, we should use a form of past tense to represent actions that happened in the past of the speaker or happening in the present of the speaker. In the sentence, the goods were piling up as the speaker spoke. Hence, we should use past continuous.

(A) is slowed sharply -> Present continuous.
(B) CORRECT. were piling/slowed
(C) had piled -> Past perfect is incorrect here because goods were still piling when the speaker reported.
(D) This option has a meaning issue. It erroneously suggests that the "piling up of unsold goods" was slowing sharply with consumer spending.
(E) has slowed -> Present Perfect
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
I have a question on parallelism...

I realize that you are not supposed to rewrite GMAT answers to try to make them sound better, but would "unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply" be correct? The parallelism I have there is piled/slowed.

vs. in Choice B the parallelism seems to be between piling/spending.

Does parallelism impact the meaning in that Choice B's parallelism puts the focus on piling and spending?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:

I realize that you are not supposed to rewrite GMAT answers to try to make them sound better, but would "unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply" be correct? The parallelism I have there is piled/slowed.

Does parallelism impact the meaning in that Choice B's parallelism puts the focus on piling and spending?

Hello woohoo921,

We hope this finds you well.

To clarify, in Option B, the parallelism is between the verb phrases "were piling" and "slowed sharply"; using "piled" in place of "were piling" would not make the sentence any more parallel; two verbs of different tenses can absolutely be parallel, as long as they are both active verbs.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Send PM
The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a [#permalink]
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
woohoo921 wrote:

Hello woohoo921,

To clarify, in Option B, the parallelism is between the verb phrases "were piling" and "slowed sharply"; using "piled" in place of "were piling" would not make the sentence any more parallel; two verbs of different tenses can absolutely be parallel, as long as they are both active verbs.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thank you! A few follow-up questions based on your response:
1. So "consumer spending" is a gerund in this case, correct?
2. What do you mean by "if they are both active verbs"?

ExpertsGlobal5

Originally posted by woohoo921 on 03 Oct 2022, 17:01.
Last edited by woohoo921 on 13 Oct 2022, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
HDhiman07 wrote:
About the usage of "As"

So is it correct ?

Sure, "as" is often used for comparisons, but that's certainly not the only way "as" can be used.

Hi GMATNinja Sir,

I have a doubt regarding the use of "as" in option B.

I believe "as" is used here to provide reasoning (just like because) hence it should be followed by a clause but I don't think so "consumer spending slowed sharply" is a clause.

Please help
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
a123bansal wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
HDhiman07 wrote:
About the usage of "As"

So is it correct ?

Hi GMATNinja Sir,

I believe "as" is used here to provide reasoning (just like because) hence it should be followed by a clause but I don't think so "consumer spending slowed sharply" is a clause.

Please help

All we need for something to qualify as a clause is a subject and a verb. The subject is "consumer spending." The verb is "slowed." So "Consumer spending slowed" is a clause.

I hope that clears things up!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja Sir,

Please help[/quote]
All we need for something to qualify as a clause is a subject and a verb. The subject is "consumer spending." The verb is "slowed." So "Consumer spending slowed" is a clause.

I hope that clears things up![/quote]

Thank you for your kind response sir.

I was confused about whether slowed is acting as a verb or as a -ed modifier.

How you have identified that "slowed" is acting as a verb?

Since consumer spending is not the doer of the action "slowed" hence I thought "slowed" is acting as a verb-ed modifier.

Please help me as I sometimes got very confused in identifying whether the particular word acts as an ed modifier or as a verb.
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
a123bansal wrote:
Hi GMATNinja Sir,

Please help

I hope that clears things up![/quote]

Since consumer spending is not the doer of the action "slowed" hence I thought "slowed" is acting as a verb-ed modifier.

Please help me as I sometimes got very confused in identifying whether the particular word acts as an ed modifier or as a verb.[/quote]

Hello a123bansal,

To provide a bit of clarity, "consumer spending" is, indeed, the doer of the action slowed.

Here is a similar example for comparison, "The train slowed down as it reached the platform."

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
woohoo921 wrote:

Hello woohoo921,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thank you! A few follow-up questions based on your response:
1. So "consumer spending" is a gerund in this case, correct?
2. What do you mean by "if they are both active verbs"?

ExpertsGlobal5

Hello woohoo921,

To answer your queries,

1. Yes; "consumer spending" is a gerund here.

2. What we mean is that active verbs can parallel other active verbs, and participles can parallel other participles, but active verbs cannot parallel participles.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Send PM
The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a [#permalink]
ExpertsGlobal5
I am so sorry for all of the questions on this topic, and I cannot thank you enough for all of your time and patience.

When you say "two verbs of different tenses can absolutely be parallel, as long as they are both active verbs"
are you referring to something like this? --> "Time cried and plays tennis"? "cried" and "plays" are both active verbs because it is what Tim does (if my understanding of active verbs is correct).

What would be an example of an active verb trying to incorrectly build parallelism with a passive verb?

MartyTargetTestPrep

Since I see that you are active on the form, what are your thoughts?

Many thanks :)

Originally posted by woohoo921 on 24 Oct 2022, 18:43.
Last edited by woohoo921 on 28 Oct 2022, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
a123bansal wrote:
Hi GMATNinja Sir,

Please help

I hope that clears things up!

Please help me as I sometimes got very confused in identifying whether the particular word acts as an ed modifier or as a verb.[/quote]

Hello a123bansal,

To provide a bit of clarity, "consumer spending" is, indeed, the doer of the action slowed.

Here is a similar example for comparison, "The train slowed down as it reached the platform."

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team[/quote]

Thanks for your reply ExpertsGlobal5
How slowed is acting as a verb in your sentence?
Train in not doing the action of slowing hence it can't be a verb as per me
Someone else(driver) is doing the action of slowing and train is receiving the action hence slowed should be v-ed modifier.

Please help me.

GMATNinja
KarishmaB
egmat
MartyTargetTestPrep
IanStewart
ChiranjeevSingh

Would be glad if anyone of you can clear my doubt. I am really struggling with this thing.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
a123bansal wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thanks for your reply ExpertsGlobal5
How slowed is acting as a verb in your sentence?
Train in not doing the action of slowing hence it can't be a verb as per me
Someone else(driver) is doing the action of slowing and train is receiving the action hence slowed should be v-ed modifier.

Please help me.

Would be glad if anyone of you can clear my doubt. I am really struggling with this thing.

Hi a123bansal.

Even though "consumer spending" is not capable of choosing to take an action and someone slows a train that slowed, "consumer spending" and "the train" are considered the doers of the action "slowed."

This idea does make sense if we think about it. After all, even if consumers slowed the spending and someone slowed the train, it is still the case that consumer spending and the train did slow.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Economics
Schools: Booth '26
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I opted 'D', because i interpreted it as: "consumer spending was slowing sharply as a result unsold goods were piling up on store"
Can anyone help, hoe to interpret these non essential "with" modifers
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Stanindaw

I can see how you'd read D that way, but it doesn't communicate that meaning very clearly. As others have discussed, "with" is a fairly versatile modifier, and that can create a lot of confusion when we don't use it clearly. When we add a phrase like "the piling up," it could sound like we are describing a particular event or phenomenon that actually LED to the drop in spending! (Think of something like this: "The war escalated at the end of the year, with the invasion of the capital.") "With" is also often used to describe HOW things occur, and that doesn't make sense here either. Add that all up and we're better off choosing an answer that words things more clearly.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts