Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 08:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Re: The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 06:15
MikeScarn wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter, but that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply.

I think there is a typo in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. Bunuel , will you please double check the OG? I'm guessing the "that" just needs to be removed.

Thanks,

All source I have are identical and have "that" in them.
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Re: The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 06:20
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo Hey guys, can you please explain what "that" is doing in my sentence? :)

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 06:56
with+noun+noun modifier can modify the main clause, showing reason, context or effect of the main clause. so, choice D is right.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 10:00
Are these three parallelisms option valid for the question?

Businesses should parallel with Consumers, not consumer spending.

Business production can parallel with consumer spending.

Business can parallel with unsold goods

I chose option D because I though Businesses should be parallel with consumers but missed that consumers and consumer spending is not the same thing. However, unsold goods and businesses can be parallel is new to me. But somehow makes sense.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 09:27
I do not see any error in choice D
is this question from official source.
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 20:13
GMATNinja wrote:
The second "that" might feel a little bit unnecessary, but it's there to emphasize the parallelism:

"The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter, but that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves..."

So the Commerce Department reported two things: (1) "that the nation's economy grew..." and (2) "that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves..." So the word "that" just subordinates the two clauses, and clarifies that both clauses are things that "the Commerce Department reported." Fair enough. (More on "that" in this article and this video.)

Perfectly explained. I understand now. Thanks GMATNinja !

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 13:12
Bunuel wrote:
The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter, but that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply.

(A) unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply

(B) unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply

(C) unsold goods had piled up on store shelves with a sharp slowing of consumer spending

(D) consumer spending was slowing sharply, with the piling up of unsold goods on store shelves

(E) consumer spending has slowed sharply, with unsold goods piling up on store shelves

Intent: While is used when simultaneous actions take place, said that 2 things were happening
businesses were expanding, unsold goods were pilling,and then the reason is given

With the intent in mind we can eliminate, D and E

(A) unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply
Rhetorical construction

(B) unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply
Only answer which matches the intent

(C) unsold goods had piled up on store shelves with a sharp slowing of consumer spending
Past perfect tense, not required here.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2019, 13:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics