Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a [#permalink]
Could I have some advice about the sentence "unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply"?

Should the " Unsold goods" need to be applied in passive form instead of active form? because it can not pile up on the store by itself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
Send PM
Re: The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a [#permalink]
Putup577 wrote:
Could I have some advice about the sentence "unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply"?

Should the " Unsold goods" need to be applied in passive form instead of active form? because it can not pile up on the store by itself.

Putup577 , im not an expert but heres my 2 cents - In english this usage is acceptable , it's things like this which make english funny and filled with exceptions haha .

Anyways just to clear your doubt we often say thing like -> 'GDP of X country decreased at a rate of 10%', or 'Interest rates of XYZ bank increased at a faster rate' or 'The number of Cheetahs in the wild has been decreasing at an alarming rate'.
In all the following examples , its wierd to think that the 'rate'/ 'number' is doing the decreasing in itself , but we don't mean to interpret it that way in english when it comes to numbers and rates

Cheers!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Putup577 wrote:

Hello Putup577,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the active version of this sentence is also acceptable.

In English, in many cases, if an inanimate noun is being subject to a process, we can also say that the noun is carrying out the process.

For example, we can say "The water is being boiled in the pot." and we can say "The water is boiling in the pot."

While such usage is somewhat figurative, it is well within the limits of what is acceptable on GMAT.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Putup577 wrote:

Hello Putup577,

I will be glad to chime in here. :)

When the action is more important than the doer of the action, we use the passive voice verb. For example, The criminal was arrested last night. We can certainly say that The police arrested the criminal last night. But only the police can arrest people. Here, the action is more important than the doer. Hence, the use of the passive voice verb.

In the context of this official sentence, it does not matter who was pilling up unsold goods on shelves. The fact remains that shelves were getting filled with unsold goods. Therefore, the use of the passive voice is absolutely correct here.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Tracy95 wrote:
Dear GMATNinja ,EMPOWERgmatVerbal

As for option A, if I change "is slowed" into "slowed", the sentence reads: "... while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply." Is this new version correct? If it is, the structure with "while" is not paralleled: while businesses + verb in past progressive, unsold goods + verb in simple past.

Thank you

Thanks for the question Tracy95!

If you changed "is slowed" to "slowed," it is better, but it fixes only one problem. In option B, we see that this option also fixes the parallelism issue between "were expanding" and "were piling up."

So while it's better, it's still not a fully corrected option.

I hope that helps! Feel free to tag me at EMPOWERgmatVerbal with any more questions you have!

Is there another parallel in this sentence "the commerce department reported that ....., but that while ..., _____"? Should those two portion be in parallel too?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts