Last visit was: 09 Jun 2024, 05:17 It is currently 09 Jun 2024, 05:17
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 630304 [16]
Given Kudos: 82195
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6924 [5]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GPA: 3.96
WE:Business Development (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 2: Scurvy is a disease cau [#permalink]
Kudos
Scurvy is a disease caused by a severe deficiency of the water-soluble vitamin C; left untreated, the condition can cause death. During an expedition in the sixteenth century, Frankian sailors began to develop scurvy when their ships became entrenched in thick ice, forcing them to winter in the area. Many began to die. Upon visiting the camp, Donnacona natives introduced a tea made exclusively from spruce nettles, a drink that, when ingested, led to the recovery of the sailors afflicted with scurvy. It was not until the eighteenth century that citrus, a type of fruit high in vitamin C, was recommended for use by sailors to combat scurvy.

Which of the following conclusions can be most reasonably drawn from the information in the passage?
Argument:

Prevent death from scurvy via Vitamin C.
Sailors close to death from scurvy ingested a mixture based on Spruce Needles.
Sailors recovered.

What can we conclude here?

(A) The spruce nettle drink would not have cured the sailors of scurvy unless it had been presented in a water-based form such as tea.
We can't infer this even though spruce needles were ingested in a liquid form. Perhaps the sailors could ingest the Spruce needles raw?

(B) Spruce nettles contain vitamin C.
Yes. Based on the premise that you need Vitamin C to counter scurvy and that ONLY (the main ingredient) spruce needles were ingested, then we can assume that Spruce Needles have elements of Vitamin C.

(C) The sailors who died would have lived if they had been able to drink the spruce nettle tea in time.
We can't infer this. The cause of death can be a multitude of things .. (starvation/lack of water etc)

(D) The Donnacona natives understood the relationship between vitamin C deficiency and scurvy hundreds of years prior to the recommendations made in the eighteenth century.
We can't infer this. Maybe it was dumb luck that they served a beverage that contained vitamin C?

(E) Spruce is a type of citrus.
Spruce having vitamin C does not mean that it is a citrus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [3]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 2: Scurvy is a disease cau [#permalink]
Kudos
This is must be true questions, so all the correct answer choice cannot be the one which brings in new information, IMO the correct answer is B, below is the explanation

(A) The spruce nettle drink would not have cured the sailors of scurvy unless it had been presented in a water-based form such as tea. - Incorrect answer, no such proof exists in the argument

(B) Spruce nettles contain vitamin C. - Correct answer, as it is mentioned in the argument that the citrus fruits which are high in Vitamin C helped in recovery

(C) The sailors who died would have lived if they had been able to drink the spruce nettle tea in time. - Incorrect, no information is given in the argument about this

(D) The Donnacona natives understood the relationship between vitamin C deficiency and scurvy hundreds of years prior to the recommendations made in the eighteenth century. - Incorrect, no such information given

(E) Spruce is a type of citrus. - Incorrect, we can't say for sure if it is a fruit or not but since spruce helped in recovery, we can say it safely that it contained Vitamin C, so option B is the answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 490 [3]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
Scurvy is a disease caused by a severe deficiency of the water-soluble vitamin C; left untreated, the condition can cause death. During an expedition in the sixteenth century, Frankian sailors began to develop scurvy when their ships became entrenched in thick ice, forcing them to winter in the area. Many began to die. Upon visiting the camp, Donnacona natives introduced a tea made exclusively from spruce nettles, a drink that, when ingested, led to the recovery of the sailors afflicted with scurvy. It was not until the eighteenth century that citrus, a type of fruit high in vitamin C, was recommended for use by sailors to combat scurvy.

Which of the following conclusions can be most reasonably drawn from the information in the passage?

Quote:
(A) The spruce nettle drink would not have cured the sailors of scurvy unless it had been presented in a water-based form such as tea.

It feels like an over statement, but let's hold to this one into we find a better one

Quote:

At first, I thought that this was in the passage; therefore, we could not drawn a conclusions. Since I was wrong, this is the correct answer

Quote:
(C) The sailors who died would have lived if they had been able to drink the spruce nettle tea in time.

They could be dying of cold, for instance.

Quote:
(D) The Donnacona natives understood the relationship between vitamin C deficiency and scurvy hundreds of years prior to the recommendations made in the eighteenth century.

They might know about the relationship between Scurvy and spruce nettles, but hardly between vitamin C deficiency and scurvy hundreds.

Quote:
(E) Spruce is a type of citrus.

The tea was not from the whole Spruce, but from it's nettles
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2247 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
zhanbo wrote:
I chose (C) because other options are worse. :-)

(A) This is a very strong conclusion. It is possible eating spruce nettle without water can also cure the sailors.
(B) This one is actually very promising. But it is equally possible that spruce nettles contains some elements other than vitamin C that can either cure scurvy right away or, with chemical reaction with some unknown element, generate vitamin C.
(C) This one is not fully reasonable either. Maybe the tea works only when consumed in land but not at sea.
(D) This one can be eliminated easily. They do not need to know the relationship. They may not be aware of scurvy at all. They happened to believe in the curative power of their prized tea. And it worked this time.
(E) See (B), or, simply, maybe spruce is not a type of citrus but still contains rich vitamin C.

Hi AndrewN

I rejected option B for the above reason. Can you please help
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6924 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmat1393 wrote:
zhanbo wrote:
I chose (C) because other options are worse. :-)

(A) This is a very strong conclusion. It is possible eating spruce nettle without water can also cure the sailors.
(B) This one is actually very promising. But it is equally possible that spruce nettles contains some elements other than vitamin C that can either cure scurvy right away or, with chemical reaction with some unknown element, generate vitamin C.
(C) This one is not fully reasonable either. Maybe the tea works only when consumed in land but not at sea.
(D) This one can be eliminated easily. They do not need to know the relationship. They may not be aware of scurvy at all. They happened to believe in the curative power of their prized tea. And it worked this time.
(E) See (B), or, simply, maybe spruce is not a type of citrus but still contains rich vitamin C.

Hi AndrewN

I rejected option B for the above reason. Can you please help

Hello, gmat1393. I think a few people have taken the question for granted as a must be true and subsequently viewed the answers through that lens. Yes, choice (B) could be true as written, and it could also be true that what zhanbo has written is accurate. But the question merely asks, Which of the following conclusions can be most reasonably drawn from the information in the passage? You should not have to possess a knowledge of vitamin C synthesis to make heads or tails of the answer choices. You should simply seek out information from the passage and make the most reasonable deduction.

I hope that helps. Simplifying your approach to CR often leads to more correct answers. When you find yourself bending over backwards to qualify or disqualify an answer, you are probably pursuing the wrong idea.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Kudos
AndrewN wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION
- Sentence one provides background information about scurvy, both what causes it and what it causes under certain conditions.

- Sentence two tells us about an ill-fated expedition in which sailors began to develop scurvy.

- Sentence three is as simple a sentence as can be: many sailors started to die.

- Sentence four introduces a different group of people, Donnacona natives, and informs us that a spruce nettle tea they brought with them cured the scurvy-stricken sailors of the disease.

- Sentence five then shifts to two centuries later and provides further information on the connection between vitamin C and scurvy.

It is against this backdrop that we need to compare the answers. I leave my mental mapping simple to encourage further referencing of the passage, since a crucial CR skill is to stick to exactly what the passage lays out.

Quote:

If this were untrue, then based on the information in the passage, there is no way that a tea made exclusively from spruce nettles could have led to the recovery of the sailors afflicted with scurvy. To piggyback off of the previous answer, we can speculate that spruce nettles themselves may have bound water inside, that perhaps chewing the nettles or soaking them in water releases their contents to make them more bioavailable. Although such a consideration is not necessary to answer this question, it may help you to steer clear of a trap answer such as (A). In short, there is nothing to argue against here, and that is why we should choose it. Remember Occam's razor (boiled down—sorry, I like puns): the simplest explanation is usually correct.

Hi AndrewN,

You have offered an interesting question. But I think the OA is incorrect. Here's why I think so.

Let me explain this with an example.
Premise 1: All living things need water.
Premise 2: Roses need water.

Can we conclude the following?
Therefore, roses are living things.

The answer is no.
Official explanations to this example attached in the references below. Click on the links.
References: 1. How rational are you?- University of Toronto Magazine. 2. Computational Biases - The Psychology of Problem Solving

The last two statements in the given passage provide similar premises.
Premise 1: a tea made exclusively from spruce nettles was used as a remedy for scurvy
Premise 2: citrus, a type of fruit high in vitamin C, was a recommended remedy for scurvy

Applying similar method of reasoning as in the example, can we conclude that "Spruce nettles contain vitamin C"? No.

Also, notice the official explanation for option B.
Quote:
If this were untrue, then based on the information in the passage, there is no way that a tea made exclusively from spruce nettles could have led to the recovery of the sailors afflicted with scurvy.

Going by the explanation here, the statement given in option B can be implied as a necessary condition to suggest that "a tea made exclusively from spruce nettles could have led to the recovery of the sailors afflicted with scurvy". Such a necessary condition is called assumption. Therefore, going by the given explanation, this statement best serves as an assumption to a statement given in the passage.

I hope you will take my criticism objectively. Please feel free to share your views on this.

Thank you.

Originally posted by chillbrorelax on 16 Dec 2020, 09:30.
Last edited by chillbrorelax on 16 Dec 2020, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6924 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello, chillbrorelax. I am open to receiving constructive criticism, so I am glad you provided reasons for why you think the question and the OA and OE may be flawed. I will respond in-line below:

chillbrorelax wrote:
Hi AndrewN,

You have offered an interesting question. But I think the OA is incorrect. Here's why I think so.

Let me explain this with an example.
Premise 2: Roses need water.

Can we conclude the following?
Therefore, roses are living things.

The answer is no.
Official explanations to this example attached in the references below. Click on the links.
References: 1. How rational are you?- University of Toronto Magazine. 2. Computational Biases - The Psychology of Problem Solving

The last two statements in the given passage provide similar premises.
Premise 1: a tea made exclusively from spruce nettles was used as a remedy for scurvy
Premise 2: citrus, a type of fruit high in vitamin C, was a recommended remedy for scurvy

Applying similar method of reasoning as in the example, can we conclude that "Spruce nettles contain vitamin C"? No.

The two quoted lines from the passage do not fit the same pattern as your earlier example, in which a broad truth in statement one is then applied, via a singular example, in statement two. What you are calling premises for a shared conclusion above are two detached statements that are unrelated, except that each surrounds a remedy for scurvy. In fact, I included the last line of the passage as a red herring for choice (E), and as an additional historical footnote. Notice, too, that in the earlier premise about roses, there is a key missing component in any mention of a recommendation. It is easier to expose the flaw in reasoning with that bit added in:

Premise 2: Gardeners recommend that roses be watered.

To conclude that, based on a recommendation, roses must be living things sounds ridiculous rather than well-reasoned.

chillbrorelax wrote:
Also, notice the official explanation for option B.
Quote:
If this were untrue, then based on the information in the passage, there is no way that a tea made exclusively from spruce nettles could have led to the recovery of the sailors afflicted with scurvy.

Going by the explanation here, the statement given in option B can be implied as a necessary condition to suggest that "a tea made exclusively from spruce nettles could have led to the recovery of the sailors afflicted with scurvy". Such a necessary condition is called assumption. Therefore, going by the given explanation, this statement best serves as an assumption to a statement given in the passage.

I hope you will take my criticism objectively. Please feel free to share your views on this.

Thank you.

Do not lose sight of the question itself: Which of the following conclusions can be most reasonably drawn from the information in the passage? You are not looking for an airtight truth. However, under the given conditions that a lack of vitamin C causes scurvy, and that a spruce nettle tea apparently cured people of that very disease, it seems reasonable to conclude that something in that tea contained (or led to the synthesis of) vitamin C. Of the five answer choices presented, (B) is the best answer to the question being asked. Of course, you are welcome to disagree. One element of your critique that is missing is a defense of a different answer choice. What do you believe the answer should be, or do you feel the options and passage are so flawed that no reasonable answer exists?

Again, thank you for the thoughtful response.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 855 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
820 posts