Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy & Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]
OK, had the interview today. I think it went pretty well. I had a few stumbles but over all I did ok.

Questions:
-ethical delema: talk about a time when you dealt with someone who was acting unethically and tell me what you did- I talked about working as a junior analyst on a team where the CFO of the company was actively trying to get fired because he got a better compensation package that way. He asked me to do some sketchy things and then my boss told me not to do them, I said I learned that especially with ethical areas, if things don't seem right to you you should always ask questions. I'm not sure it's the best answer, but I think I learned a good lesson that I can talk about so...

If you had to use 5 adjectives to describe your communication style what would you say:
-direct
-Honest
-Intense at times

for each I gave a little analysis of the pros and cons that I'd noticed for each, especially intensity, I talked about how it can be helpful but can be off putting and I've been working on learning to manage my intensity level to meet the expectations of the people I'm working with.

At this point I got kinda stuck, so he prompted me: ok, what about your leadership style?
I talked about being more democratic than autocratic, wanting input from everyone even if I didn't agree with it. knowing I don't have a monopoly on good ideas, etc.

Which led to adding collaborative to the list. In addition I said I wanted to say something about really wanting to understand the thinking behind peoples ideas and get to see where they were coming from, but I didn't know a good adjective for that. He suggested probing, and I thanked him.

that was my first stumble but I think we worked through it ok.

then Walk me through your resume and explain why you want an MBA and why you want one now. I gave a pretty stock answer and then talked about putting myself in a position where I was forced to really challenge myself by surrounding myself with the best/smartest/competitive/driven people I could find and wanting to broaden my perspective so I can use my specific knowledge, either industry or company specific, in a more generalized context.

then why columbia, I talked about some classes, professor I had undergrad, my family connection, graduates I know, etc.

Then what would you study: management/leadership concentration
If you were in a study group do you think you'd focus on finance since it's your strength or focus on the management part of the assignment since that's your interest even if you may be weaker. I brought up the analogy of a sports practice and talked about coaching and how I always try to encourage my kids to make mistakes and work on the areas where they are weak, especially in practice.

then he asked what I thought I brought to the table that would contribute. I talked about growing up as the youngest of 4 smart kids and learning to deal with people with strong personalities and a lot of intelligence behind them but still find a way to work together and have a constructive environment. Then I talked about organizing an annual 4th of july party for my group of friends from college and maintaining our close relationships even though everyone has moved away from each other.

He asked if there was anything else I wanted to mention, I told him about a group I organize at work that I'm proud of.

Then he asked if I had any questions. I asked what he was surprised by when he got to CBS, and then got into his career, how he had progressed from there, if he felt well prepared for his career change coming out of B-school and then asked about how his company was adapting to the current environment.

I think it went pretty well, I think he liked me. Hopefully he'll send in a good report, but he mentioned at the end that he felt like the numbers this year made it tough, and more than any other year he'd been swamped with interviews, so I'm not gonna bet on it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
MBAAspirant2008 wrote:
woah...got an interview invite too !! ( I have been active on other threads but not this one). Time to get things rolling. I will come back tom and definitely ask questions about how to schedule the interview...

awsome congrats :woohoo

Thanks ! Good luck to you as well for the interview :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have a doubt about scheduling the interview. Ok here it goes.. (I am an international applicant)

1) I entered my city and country and got two names.
2) I want to have a more broad search so i will search again.

My question is that even though i will get 3 new names this time but would the old ones still be reflected on the screen ? i.e. would i see 5 names in total ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAAspirant2008 wrote:
I have a doubt about scheduling the interview. Ok here it goes.. (I am an international applicant)

My question is that even though i will get 3 new names this time but would the old ones still be reflected on the screen ? i.e. would i see 5 names in total ?

Yes, the original names still show up.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sleepy wrote:
MBAAspirant2008 wrote:

Yes, the original names still show up.

Thank you. I also enjoyed reading your interview experience. Where did you interview and with whom ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
with an alum at a local starbucks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Sleepy, I heard you had a CBS interview...congrats. Keep the faith.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Concentration: Mkting
Send PM
Kudos
Good luck Sleepy!

For others, some quick Columbia interview advice from my end (hope it's not too late!):

-- Pull all 9 names, pick the 3 you like most, and email them at the same time. If no success with first 3, lather, rinse, repeat.

-- Dress/ format really depends on alum -- ranges from very casual to formal job-style interview.

-- Interviewer picks most questions out of a list, except for ethical dilemma, which is required. Interviewer will ask you 1 of 3 versions of this question: 1.) An ethical dilemma you've faced, how you responded, and what you would do differently. 2.) An ethical dilemma you've seen in the media and your reaction 3.) (if i remember correctly) An ethical dilemma you've observed or experienced at work

-- Other questions are standard behavioral and goals. Know your resume, be consistent with what you put in your app and remember how much you rock, and you'll be fine.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Eva,
Thanks your advice is timely and much appreciated as I have my Columbia interview today at 1:00pm. :thanks

eva23 wrote:
Good luck Sleepy!

For others, some quick Columbia interview advice from my end (hope it's not too late!):

-- Pull all 9 names, pick the 3 you like most, and email them at the same time. If no success with first 3, lather, rinse, repeat.

-- Dress/ format really depends on alum -- ranges from very casual to formal job-style interview.

-- Interviewer picks most questions out of a list, except for ethical dilemma, which is required. Interviewer will ask you 1 of 3 versions of this question: 1.) An ethical dilemma you've faced, how you responded, and what you would do differently. 2.) An ethical dilemma you've seen in the media and your reaction 3.) (if i remember correctly) An ethical dilemma you've observed or experienced at work

-- Other questions are standard behavioral and goals. Know your resume, be consistent with what you put in your app and remember how much you rock, and you'll be fine.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
My Columbia app just went complete 8-)
Below is a summary of the current status information for your application.
Application Status
Status Code COMP - Interview Complete
Message Your interview is complete and we have received feedback from your interviewer. Thank you for interviewing.
Submitted Date 07 Jan 2009
Fee Received Yes
Fee Received Date 07 Jan 2009

I had my interview last friday with a recent CBS grad- nothing crazy. He asked me allot of questions about fin modeling, and my opinions on the general state of the economy. He also asked me which schools I applied to and how it went with them. It was a long interview (1.5 hours), and I think it went well. He also suggersted classes I should take and which profs he thoghht were best. Over all I think it went well....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Still no feedback after a week. Should I call the school, e-mail the guy, just sit tight? I know they remind them, but I want to appear to be showing them the love.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Sleepy wrote:
Still no feedback after a week. Should I call the school, e-mail the guy, just sit tight? I know they remind them, but I want to appear to be showing them the love.

My interviewer took over 2 weeks to submit. Then again I got dinged so who knows. I would suggest maybe emailing your interviewer but not directly asking about submitting feedback, maybe discuss further a topic that came up during your interview. That way it could spur him/her to submit while not coming off as impatient.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just got off the phone with the admissions office, my feedback was submitted but the system hasn't updated yet. I guess...2 weeks or so til I get the final word. :yikes
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Sleepy wrote:
Just got off the phone with the admissions office, my feedback was submitted but the system hasn't updated yet. I guess...2 weeks or so til I get the final word. :yikes

Good luck and don't try to speculate on the timing....it can be brutal with rolling admissions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Wharton (R2, Int Invit),Chicago (R2, Int Invit),Columbia (R2, Int Invit),NYU (R2),MIT (Ding),LBS (Ding)
 Q50  V35
Send PM
after WL in Chicago, Columbia gave me some love...im in :band
i need some help with Kroll thing....any one?
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Just curious how long did it take Columbia to get back to ya'll after the interviewer submited his review? :?:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
arshia22 wrote:
after WL in Chicago, Columbia gave me some love...im in :band
i need some help with Kroll thing....any one?

Help with the Kroll thing? don't they just call around to verrify your salary info and dates of employment?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59