GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 16:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2009, 11:23
it seems to be somewhat random... I got mine around 10 AM.

Both schools feel right in different ways. Fin. aid is really key here, and I kind of need to know which school offers me the best package, before knowing whether my decision is responsible.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 10:24
no status change yet :( and it's been more than week since interview feedback was submitted.
ugh :(
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 10:43
praz wrote:
no status change yet :( and it's been more than week since interview feedback was submitted.

remember - anyone of the 3 -4 reviewers can invite you for an interview. Hang in there. Atleast you reached this stage so look at the bright side.

btw - does columbia call before updating status?
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 10:51
If you look at how CBS typically does things, you rarely find anyone being admitted earlier than about 2 weeks post interview feedback being submitted.

Hang in there, its almost over :)

praz wrote:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 11:05
praz wrote:

Same here bud. Except it's been almost 2 weeks for me...

This morning I quickly scanned my inbox and "Admissions" in the subject line of an e-mail caught my eye. Surely I thought it was either a Wharton invite or my Columbia decision.... It turned out to be Tuck Admissions reminding me that the app deadline is approaching (no intention of applying to Tuck!!). :(
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 11:24
I'm going on more than a week now after my interview and still no flippin' feedback submitted. And obviously I can't email the guy and be like 'Hey, just fyi, can you send in our interview feedback'. But perhaps I could find some interesting article online re: CBS and email him talking about it, hoping that it will 'jog his memory' (he made pretty clear that he wanted to keep a dialogue going post-interview).

In serious need of a life fast-forward button right now, i guess this smiley will have to do: :arrow: :arrow:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 11:42
bostonsparky wrote:
I'm going on more than a week now after my interview and still no flippin' feedback submitted. And obviously I can't email the guy and be like 'Hey, just fyi, can you send in our interview feedback'. But perhaps I could find some interesting article online re: CBS and email him talking about it, hoping that it will 'jog his memory' (he made pretty clear that he wanted to keep a dialogue going post-interview).

In serious need of a life fast-forward button right now, i guess this smiley will have to do: :arrow: :arrow:

I don't think there is anything wrong with sending that type of e-mail. I e-mailed my interviewer with a "Thanks again for speaking with me earlier. I just wanted to remind you that Columbia admission is on a rolling basis and would really appreciate if you can .... blah blah..." My feedback was submitted that same day!
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 11:44
bostonsparky wrote:

CBS notifies your interview after a week if they haven't submitted the form. Don't worry, some people are just like that.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 12:14
Good to know GoBruins, thx. I ended up going with my 2nd idea, emailing him but not talking directly about submitting the feedback, rather about a professor (Ray Fisman) who we had talked about during my interview and who's a big reason I got tuned into CBS in the first place.

Speaking of Fisman, read some of his articles on Slate (I assure you the material won't be dry) sometime. His book 'Economic Gangsters' is pretty good too if you like 'Freakonomics' or Malcolm Gladwell type stuff.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, NYU

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 15:09
My interviewer took over 1 month to submit his feedback. I took the email reminder approach. "Hey just wanted to see if you had any other questions prior to submitting my feedback....it was great meeting you the other week blah blah blah..."

Also this was during ED process which overlapped with the Xmas/ NY holidays so that was part of the problem.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 15:59
Has anyone gotten an interview invite after Second Rounds submission? Does anyone have insight into how business schools review applications? Is it in the order it's received/ GMAT scores/ Last names?...honestly, this wait is killing me :).
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 16:17
balboa wrote:
Has anyone gotten an interview invite after Second Rounds submission? Does anyone have insight into how business schools review applications? Is it in the order it's received/ GMAT scores/ Last names?...honestly, this wait is killing me :).

Columbia starts reviews in order received, but all that means is that you'll get a decision 12 weeks from when your review started. The order people have been offered interviews hasn't correlated with the order they submitted their application, I would gather it depends on how quickly your 1st reader gets through your application.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 16:26
I am not sure if I understood you correctly. If they order in which they are received determines reviews, then how exactly do you get ahead of the line in receiving interview decisions until all the applications submitted before yours are read?
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 16:42
balboa wrote:
I am not sure if I understood you correctly. If they order in which they are received determines reviews, then how exactly do you get ahead of the line in receiving interview decisions until all the applications submitted before yours are read?

Pretty much every application evaluation process goes something like this, from what I gather:

Your application review period begins, and your application is assigned to an Admissions Committee member for review
This Adcom Member, the 'First Reader' reads your application, the whole enchilada
He/she decides whether you are worthy of an interview for admission. If yes, the interview invite gets sent. Your interview gets conducted. At some point, a 2nd reader will also read over your application, and provide a similar thumbs up or thumbs down approach.

If the first Reader doesn't approve, the application is given to another adCom for review. If both the 1st and 2nd readers give a thumbs down, you get dinged. If at least one gives a thumbs up, your file goes to a committee which, using the 1st/2nd readers opinions(they could very well be part of said committee), as well as your interviewer's feedback, makes the final decision of admit/WL/ding.

As for your application getting 'jumped in line', id think the 2 main reasons would be:
1-Your first reader takes longer to read your application than someone else's does
2-Your first reader isn't sure whether you are, in his/her eyes, worthy of an interview, so your application is given to the 2nd reader to look over before deciding whether to interview you.

Again, just my experience from seeing how the R1s/EDs went down, take it for what its worth.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 18:39
For those who receive interviews, Id just like to stress the importance of knowing the school very very well. I believe this was key to my admission. You will most likely be asked the Why Columbia question, and you should be prepared to give an answer that wont sound like some variation/ regurgitation of "....premier finance program....located in the heart of new york..."

Once you make the interview cut, Columbia wants to really see your personality and feel confident that you would be a valuable and enthusiastic member of its community. Remember: they are looking for not only great students for the class of 2011, but also individuals who will continue to better the CBS brand as active alums.

Don't pretend to be some type of robot. Make sure that the interviewer at least gets to see a little bit about what makes you a very special person. If you do your homework, and give it your all, you should have no regrets.

Good luck all!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 23:57
jjright wrote:
For those who receive interviews, Id just like to stress the importance of knowing the school very very well. I believe this was key to my admission. You will most likely be asked the Why Columbia question, and you should be prepared to give an answer that wont sound like some variation/ regurgitation of "....premier finance program....located in the heart of new york..."

Once you make the interview cut, Columbia wants to really see your personality and feel confident that you would be a valuable and enthusiastic member of its community. Remember: they are looking for not only great students for the class of 2011, but also individuals who will continue to better the CBS brand as active alums.

Don't pretend to be some type of robot. Make sure that the interviewer at least gets to see a little bit about what makes you a very special person. If you do your homework, and give it your all, you should have no regrets.

Good luck all!

Great advice! I updated the front page with your admit jj :-D Congrats on being the first gmat club RD admit!

Good luck to everybody still waiting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2009, 09:08
I AM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2009, 09:10
Congratulations!!!! You deserve it, bigtime.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Jan 2009, 09:17
I guess some more good news for the gmatclub crew: I just was informed that I have been nominated for a CBS fellowship!

When it rains, it pours :)

Originally posted by jjright on 30 Jan 2009, 09:16.
Last edited by jjright on 30 Jan 2009, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2009, 09:17
foodstamp wrote:
I AM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D

hells yeah! I'm happy for you man. Is this your first admit? (one hell of a first admit if so!)
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jan 2009, 09:17

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  47   48   49   50   51   52   53  ...  59    Next  [ 1168 posts ] 

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap