Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 14:25 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 14:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9  ...  18   
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73494 [0]
Given Kudos: 19066
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Books [#permalink]
Your response is very encouraging. At the same time I want to use these seven days wisely. Any suggestions? I have been going through GMAT Advanced and GMAT GMAT Premier Online today (Kaplan). Of course have not completed either. Should I just focus on the tests from this point forward? ANy advice is highly appreciated. Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
alifnoon wrote:
Your response is very encouraging. At the same time I want to use these seven days wisely. Any suggestions? I have been going through GMAT Advanced and GMAT GMAT Premier Online today (Kaplan). Of course have not completed either. Should I just focus on the tests from this point forward? ANy advice is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, polish your test-taking skills, make sure strategies stick and finally error analysis (print out or save the ones you made a mistake in and then review the last 2 days).
Intern
Intern
Schools:INSEAD
Send PM
Great post guys! Very very helpful for someone who is looking at selecting study material! Thanks heaps!
Manager
Manager
Status:Not afraid of failures, disappointments, and falls.
Own Kudos [?]: 449 [0]
Given Kudos: 260
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Which Kaplan book comes with CAT tests apart from Kaplam premier book as I would do practice while I'll be visiting countryside, where there is no online access. So looking for a Kaplan book with CATs only on CD. And also which MGMAT book comes with additional CAT tests? For example I buy only MGMAT Number Properties, does it come with CATs? or any of the 8 MGMAT guides, similarly does MGMAT RC also include CATs?

I am going to buy them tomorrow, so an early reply would be really helpful.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73494 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
All 8 MGMAT Guides come with online access to the CAT's. The only book from the MGMAT that does not have cat access is the MGMAT Math Foundations

Kaplan Premier 2010-2011 comes with a CD that has 4 tests, one in the book, and one online.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
All 8 MGMAT Guides come with online access to the CAT's. The only book from the MGMAT that does not have cat access is the MGMAT Math Foundations

Kaplan Premier 2010-2011 comes with a CD that has 4 tests, one in the book, and one online.

Thanks! for your quick response & suggestion. Definitely, going to get them tomorrow, but I think MGMAT isn't available here so gotta contact some friend for online shopping of one of the Quant books.

kudos +1
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: isa.org
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: International Business and Finance.
Schools:ISB, India.
 Q39  V18
Send PM
hello,
Is Barron's anytime recommended book for GMAT?
My friend is referring to this book for practice purpose but I do not feel to go for it. Any third opinion??
cheers!!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
target2011 wrote:
hello,
Is Barron's anytime recommended book for GMAT?
My friend is referring to this book for practice purpose but I do not feel to go for it. Any third opinion??
cheers!!

Let's put it this way - have not heard a lot of good things about it.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Are there any reviews of Jeff Sackmann's books? Total GMAT Math and Total GMAT Verbal are his books. He can be found at a website named GMAT Hacks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
I have taken up Kaplan Premier as my first book. Is that a good book to start with??
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Just wanted to come in and thank everyone who helped out. I basically had 10 days to prepare for my GMAT and scored 660 on it today (Q-47, V-34). English is my third language, so was still impressed at how I did. I might try and go for a higher score, but at this moment, for my purposes, this seems to be more than satisfactory! Thanks!

Btw, as I had limited amount of time, all I did was the Kaplan Premier. Read the entire books, and did the practice questions for each section (50 questions each). And then a day before the exam, I was able to do both the GMATprep software exams. Not the best preparation, but given time constraints, I thought it went pretty well.

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Thanks bb -- the "Ultimate" column is basically my study plan at this point. Few follow-up questions:

- Kaplan Premier is one of the starting "general" books, while MGMAT etc are the foundation of the specific quant and verbal books. So would it be fair to assume that sequence: ie, Kaplan as a warm-up, then MGMAT for true drilling / learning?

- For Quant especially, Kaplan 800 is frequently derided on other posts as "Kaplan 650" and so on. The OGs cover a lot but are exhaustible at some point (I'm planning to get 10 and 12 as 11 seems to be close to 12). There are varying views on the toughness of the Sackmann questions. For 800 level questions then (esp quant), where are additional sources for questions?

- For Verbal in the same vein, where can one find 700+ level questions?

Looking forward to your thoughts, bb. Thanks again for all your advice!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has anyone tried "High School English Grammar & Composition" by P.C. Wren & H. Martin, published by S. Chand? If yes, please! give some reviews.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: isa.org
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: International Business and Finance.
Schools:ISB, India.
 Q39  V18
Send PM
hello guys,
Is "Powerscore.LSAT.logic.reasoning.bible" a good study material?
I came to know from my friend about the same but it is actually for LSAT.. can anyone pls throw some light on the usefullness w.r.t.

br.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi,

Can you guys please give me some input.
I already have OG 12 and GMAT Premier live online (unfortunately without the CD so fewer practice tests - in fact I think I only have 1 test online which sucks). I'm about to order MGMAT SC, as SC is a weak point for me and I want access to the 6 online CAT tests.
Are there any other books that are worth it (yes I have read the reviews in the first post)? Should I get OG 11 if I have OG 12? What about Kaplan 800, it seems to have so many mixed reviews. I'm aiming for a 700 on the GMAT.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
target2011 wrote:
hello guys,
Is "Powerscore.LSAT.logic.reasoning.bible" a good study material?
I came to know from my friend about the same but it is actually for LSAT.. can anyone pls throw some light on the usefullness w.r.t.

br.

See review and post on forum by members about the book. I think it is best if you have just Powerscore CR Bible (both are kinda same) for GMAT. You only need practice questions of LSAT if u r not satisfied with gmat questions and u think u need more to practice then get LSAT practice question with explanations. That's my point of view. Rest, others are here to help.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
nickk wrote:
Hi,

Can you guys please give me some input.
I already have OG 12 and GMAT Premier live online (unfortunately without the CD so fewer practice tests - in fact I think I only have 1 test online which sucks). I'm about to order MGMAT SC, as SC is a weak point for me and I want access to the 6 online CAT tests.
Are there any other books that are worth it (yes I have read the reviews in the first post)? Should I get OG 11 if I have OG 12? What about Kaplan 800, it seems to have so many mixed reviews. I'm aiming for a 700 on the GMAT.

Thanks

Hi - sorry missed your post.
Kaplan Premier will come with 4 tests on the CD, 1 online, and 1 paper test in the book. The other books had 5 online and 1 in the book - same number of tests.

I would recommend that you get more advanced books if you want a 700+ score. Kaplan premier is just to get your feet wet and may get you to about 600-650.
Then you need dedicated math and verbal guides. Start with MGMAT SC and Possibly MGMAT CR and MGMAT RC. Then look into what you need for math. You may be able to get away with Kaplan Math Workbook, though MGMAT math guides are also recommended, esp the MGMAT number properties and MGMAT word translations.

I would save the Kaplan 800 for later - it is not a text book but rather a collection of questions.

Finally, you don't need OG 11 if you have OG 12.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9  ...  18