Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [22]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [14]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Evolutionary psychology holds that the human mind is not a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Evolutionary psychology holds that the human mind is not a "blank slate," but instead that it comprises specialized mental mechanisms that were developed as a way of solving specific problems human ancestors faced millions of years ago.

Now , D and E are wrong because - that rather than is a bad sentence, also note being - so, D and E are out
So, between A , B and C

(A) the human mind is not a "blank slate," but instead that it ( human mind) comprises specialized mental mechanisms that were developed as a way of solving - that human mind does not sound right , also 'it' can be considered ambiguous as well.

(B) the human mind is not a "blank slate" but instead comprises specialized mental mechanisms that were developed to solve

(C) the human mind, instead of a "blank slate," it ( human mind) comprises specialized mental mechanisms that have been developed to solve - have been - something that started in past and still continues , where as the original meaning was that these mechanisms were developed . 2nd - but is missing.3rd - it - ambiguous .

I will go with B
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Seemed very weird to me.

Idiom : not Y but instead X -
source MGMAT SC page 160.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 957 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
OA is B.

Intended meaning: Hard problems (Leads)-----------> SPECIALIZED MENTAL MECHANISM to develop ----------->(which in turn leads to ) SOLVE PROBLEMs
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Evolutionary psychology holds that the human mind is not a "blank slate," but instead that it comprises specialized mental mechanisms that were developed as a way of solving specific problems human ancestors faced millions of years ago.

(A) the human mind is not a "blank slate," but instead that it comprises specialized mental mechanisms that were developed as a way of solving

(B) the human mind is not a "blank slate" but instead comprises specialized mental mechanisms that were developed to solve

(C) the human mind, instead of a "blank slate," it comprises specialized mental mechanisms that have been developed to solve

(D) rather than it being a "blank slate," the human mind comprises specialized mental mechanisms that have been developed as a way of solving
[/b]
(E) rather than the human mind's being a "blank slate," that it comprises specialized mental mechanisms that were developed as a way of solving

To me, this is my hop, step, and jump.
1. have been developed is wrong for something happened some million years ago and therefore C and D are out.
2. 'As a way of solving' ignores the intent involved in the evolution. Therefore A and E are gone.

I would click B and get along. Maybe there are umpteen other pointers to spot the correct choice. But I suspect, that the slug that I am, I might not be fortunate enough to analyze much more.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
after reading choice A, I can not eliminate it. but after reading choice B , I can find an error in choice A.

I do not hold A but B
"but B " is used if there is "not" at the beginning. there is no "not" , "but" is wrong. choice A is wrong gramartically.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
This is a GMAT Prep question. Please change the TAG. Bunuel

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619155 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RashedVai wrote:
This is a GMAT Prep question. Please change the TAG. Bunuel

Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: Oxford "21
Send PM
daagh wrote:

(A) the human mind is not a "blank slate," but instead that it comprises specialized mental mechanisms that were developed as a way of solving

(C) the human mind, instead of a "blank slate," it comprises specialized mental mechanisms that have been developed to solve

(D) rather than it being a "blank slate," the human mind comprises specialized mental mechanisms that have been developed as a way of solving
[/b]
(E) rather than the human mind's being a "blank slate," that it comprises specialized mental mechanisms that were developed as a way of solving

To me, this is my hop, step, and jump.
1. have been developed is wrong for something happened some million years ago and therefore C and D are out.
2. 'As a way of solving' ignores the intent involved in the evolution. Therefore A and E are gone.

I would click B and get along. Maybe there are umpteen other pointers to spot the correct choice. But I suspect, that the slug that I am, I might not be fortunate enough to analyze much more.

Shouldnt X but instead Y be grammatically parallel?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
PTK wrote:

This question is based on Idiomatic Usage and Construction.

The presence of the conjunctions ‘not-but’ necessitates parallelism. Option A lacks that parallelism because of the repetition of the pronoun ‘that’ and the placement of the redundant pronoun ‘it’. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option C contains a tense error – the present perfect tense “have been developed” should not be used to convey an action that happened millions of years ago.
The pronoun ‘it’ is also redundant in this option because the antecedent “human mind” is already mentioned in the sentence. So, Option C can be eliminated.

The pronoun ‘it’ seems to refer to “evolutionary psychology” because that is the noun placed before the pronoun. Furthermore, the verb “holds” should be followed by a clause, not the phrase “rather than”. So, Option D can be eliminated.

Option E has the same error of construction as Option D because of the placement of the phrase “rather than” after the verb “holds”. The second pronoun ‘that’ is also redundant as the pronoun ‘that’ is already placed before the underlined portion. So, Option E can be eliminated.

Option B maintains parallelism. Both the conjunctions are followed by a verb; the adverb ‘instead’ only serves to emphasize, so it doesn’t affect parallelism even though it is placed immediately after the conjunction ‘but’. The construction of this option is also appropriate as there is a clause placed after the verb “holds”.
Therefore, B is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GPA: 3.96
WE:Business Development (Telecommunications)
Send PM
This is a good one , very good one indeed

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Isn't But instead redundant ? because both are used to contradict
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
vishvendra97 wrote:
Isn't But instead redundant ? because both are used to contradict

Strictly speaking, vishvendra97, yes, the two words tread on similar linguistic ground, and instead could be eliminated from the sentence without losing vital meaning—we would still understand that an alternative followed but. However, not only is but instead a perfectly acceptable construct, it is also more emphatic than its stripped-down counterpart. If you eliminated (A) and (B) on these grounds alone, I hope you reconsidered when you laid eyes on (C), (D), and (E), all of which have more glaring flaws, as discussed in posts above.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Why is the expression as a way of solving wrong?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts