Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 00:03 It is currently 08 May 2024, 00:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Ok, so ED app's are being admitted now... good stuff, let's hope that we get the calls this week MDF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Hopefully! Each time I hear my e-mail box "chime" my heart skips a beat thinking that it might be from CBS!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think we all get that feeling when the email notification chimes. Or the phone rings.. Lol..

Here's to having a good week!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 2.86
Send PM
So there have been 2 dings with interview so far. They've been within a couple days of going complete... how long do you guys think adcom would stretch out a ding w/interview?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Well someone who went complete on aug 24 got ading this past tuesday if you read back... So I imagine until mary miller reviews it you can get dingef however the longer that you don't.... Probably better right now

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
losttraveler wrote:
Well someone who went complete on aug 24 got ading this past tuesday if you read back... So I imagine until mary miller reviews it you can get dingef however the longer that you don't.... Probably better right now

Posted from my mobile device

We both went complete a couple days prior to the 24th, so I guess thats a plus. I'm so sick of writing essays and being stuck in the library. At least I didn't have to watch the Steelers get destroyed today.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I haven't done anything in terms of mba apps since my ED app was submitted. I had already finished my Tuck essays prior to finishing my CBS ones... so if CBS doesn't come through or give a response by the 23rd I'll be at Tuck for my interview and be submitting that app before the deadline. Hopefully, tomorrow brings some good news though!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
So, I applied yesterday and I still haven't gotten a response for an interview, what is going on?!
.... :-D :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
^^^ pipe down buddy and get in line! They can't interview you until they admit me! :P

On a side note, I haven't attended any info sessions or such with adcom (did my own school tour a few times since I live just outside NYC)... there's absolutely no requirement to attend one... hopefully it doesn't bite me though :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
WE:Business Development (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I was at Spotlight On: Diversity today and I have to say that any reservations I had about Columbia's culture and student body were put to rest. The admissions staff, current students, and alum were accessible, down to earth, and so personable. They offered really good application advice that I can use to coach my recommenders. I was taking notes the whole time and now have a plethora of information with which to explain "Why Columbia?' in my essays. The absolute best moment was when Mary Miller took off her shoes, stood on a coffee table in her stockinged feet, and announced that one of the perspective students in attendance had just been admitted in the ED round. So all you ED people it looks like announcements should be forthcoming.

One thing I took away from the event is that the student body really wants to see others succeed. They offered their assistance with everything from essay proofing to connecting me with current students with similar career interests. The help they offer one another through the Peer Adviser and tutoring programs (CBS, BBSA, etc.) is also very encouraging. All of my worries about a cutthroat environment were assuaged after today. I can't wait to apply!

Thanks for that Cheetarah - I will be attending Diversity Connect next month and looking forward to it. I guess the news Mary shared with everyone can be taken that they are working on weekends or did the student already know?

Are you now applying ED?

I really want to get a call from Adcom soon!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Columbia has an open class visit policy -- meaning you just have to check into the admissions office before you go to the class and blend in with the current students and arent met by anyone that is a student and the like. I'm gonna be going to a few this week and trying to decide if i should suit up and stand out hardcore from the others or go with business casual / dress shirt or polo and jeans and dress shoes? Gonna be coming from work and no dress code at work, suit will look suspicious lol
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
pedrosilva wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I was at Spotlight On: Diversity today and I have to say that any reservations I had about Columbia's culture and student body were put to rest. The admissions staff, current students, and alum were accessible, down to earth, and so personable. They offered really good application advice that I can use to coach my recommenders. I was taking notes the whole time and now have a plethora of information with which to explain "Why Columbia?' in my essays. The absolute best moment was when Mary Miller took off her shoes, stood on a coffee table in her stockinged feet, and announced that one of the perspective students in attendance had just been admitted in the ED round. So all you ED people it looks like announcements should be forthcoming.

One thing I took away from the event is that the student body really wants to see others succeed. They offered their assistance with everything from essay proofing to connecting me with current students with similar career interests. The help they offer one another through the Peer Adviser and tutoring programs (CBS, BBSA, etc.) is also very encouraging. All of my worries about a cutthroat environment were assuaged after today. I can't wait to apply!

Thanks for that Cheetarah - I will be attending Diversity Connect next month and looking forward to it. I guess the news Mary shared with everyone can be taken that they are working on weekends or did the student already know?

Are you now applying ED?

I really want to get a call from Adcom soon!

I think the guy found out he was admitted at the event. He seemed to be pretty surprised and really happy. I don't think the admissions office would be making calls on a weekend, but I do think they will tell admitted students who are attending weekend events. If you apply ED then maybe you will find out at Diversity Connect.

I'm still applying RD. I'm a commitment phobe. I really did love Columbia but it's the first school I visited. I still need to get out to more schools before I can really say that CBS trumps all other schools. But I will say that after this weekend's event CBS is a frontrunner for me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I think the guy found out he was admitted at the event. He seemed to be pretty surprised and really happy.

I'd be surprised and a lot happy too to find out that way, esp with Mary Miller standing on a table in bare feet to announce it!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shorttheworld wrote:
Columbia has an open class visit policy -- meaning you just have to check into the admissions office before you go to the class and blend in with the current students and arent met by anyone that is a student and the like. I'm gonna be going to a few this week and trying to decide if i should suit up and stand out hardcore from the others or go with business casual / dress shirt or polo and jeans and dress shoes? Gonna be coming from work and no dress code at work, suit will look suspicious lol

I wore biz casual to the info sess since it was straight after work and then polo/shorts/sneakers to the class visit. it was still summer and that's what everyone else had on (or sandals). I met a guy in the class who was open to talking to be about life at cbs.

tuesday will mark 3 weeks since going complete...I hope to get a call tomorrow. Will post either way.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cunit2k5 wrote:
tuesday will mark 3 weeks since going complete...I hope to get a call tomorrow. Will post either way.

We hope you do too! :-D If you do, remember to ask them to hurry and call the rest of GC :P
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2131 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi guys,

I am still stuck on 3rd essay question.

What essay did you choose and why?!
thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Pkit wrote:
Hi guys,

I am still stuck on 3rd essay question.

What essay did you choose and why?!
thanks.

From your profile, it appears you want to study entrepreneurship so option 3a could fit if you already have an idea you are hoping you can polish while at CBS.

If you don't have a business idea, this obviously won't work.

Not knowing your professional background or your future goals, 3b is always a nice fall back. If you don't currently work in finance, but plan on combining your interests in entrepreneurship and finance by going into VC, joining the PE or VC club could be interesting because you can provide first hand knowledge for your previous industry/job, blah, blah, blah while better understanding VC. Do you think your cultural diversity is a benefit to the class? Perhaps you run for a regional/cultural club to help teach your culture to other CBS students. Do you mention how winning your schools sports competition was life changing in essay 2? Maybe you run for president of a sports oriented club. The possibilities are endless here.

For me, 3c was both the easiest and the hardest essay. While I personally liked the prompt, I couldn't find anyone that fit my story.

Personally, I wrote essay 3b. I already started my own business and really beat the idea to death in essay 1 and didn't feel like I needed to further stress my ability to think "outside of the box," so 3a seemed redundant to me. As I stated above, I couldn't find someone that exactly matched my profile and it was too much of a stress on what we would talk about so 3c was out of the question.

I hope this helps.

Keep in mind, I haven't been admitted (or rejected) - so who knows if my way of doing things will pay off.

PS - If you don't like 3a-c, show CBS you are a leader and make up your own question (i'm joking. kind of). That is entrepreneurial, I guess.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  21   22   23   24   25  ...  171   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts