Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 18:25 It is currently 04 May 2024, 18:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
rhythmandsoul wrote:
After giving it a thought, I've decided to post this and get some feedback from you guys at the cost of canvassing my stupidity!

I have made a blooper in the chronological order on my resume during Part I of the application of the resume viz. I have put in the period of my current job as Present- Jan 2010 instead of Jan 2011 and the tenure for my previous job as 03/2008-10/2011 instead of 03/2008-10/2010. So I guess the obvious question is:

a) I am assuming the team at Kellogg looks at Part I and Part II in totality. Under this assumption, I hope to correct this error in the additional information section of my essays. Is my assumption correct?

b) Can such a schoolboy error in the resume be an outright grounds for rejection?

It's possible that the extreme speculation in b) is just a natural outcome of my current state of mind

Help much appreciated!

Well that makes the two of us :D
Made a similar faux pas. Screwed up the dates. I mailed em immediately informing them of my idiocy. They replied asking me to send them the updated CV. Whether this worked against me - I don't know.

On another note, I interviewed with an alum in Paris last weekend.
She was most affable - gave me loads of time to talk. Went through the expected bunch of questions. Flow was to the tune of:
- Tell me about yourself
- Career goals
- Biggest achievement
- Strengths and weaknesses
- Talked alot about my frequent travel and cross cultural up bringing
- Left plenty of time for questions about her. Candidly revealed how when she saw my profile she went oh-oh (I'm from an OVER-represented group).

All in all an easy going interview - loads of smiles and laughs. Think I managed to convey myself and my passions. Although that's just my perception. No idea what she actually thought. And wrote. And evaluated.

The most sound advice I read on this thread was RiverRipper's comment saying 'Be professional. Be personable.' I'd add = Be genuine. That's probably Kellogg's unofficial motto anyway.

All the best to you guys who are lining up your interviews. Hope to catch some of you at Kellogg :)

Cheers,
Z
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Kellogg School of Management - Class of 2013
Send PM
MDF wrote:
Do first year students at Kellogg get separated into clusters or cohorts during the core curriculum?

I thought I remembered hearing this, but I can't find anything that confirms it on the website...

And if so, are these groups formally called 'clusters,' or 'cohorts', or what?

They are called 'sections' and since you get to take core classes at different time you won't necessarily end up in the same class as your section buddies. Sections are generally used during orientation week where each section compete with each other in various fun competitions.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Tech and OM
Schools:Kellogg MMM
 Q49  V29 GMAT 2: 710  Q50  V35
WE 1: Oil/ Energy- construction
WE 2: Power/ Energy- R&D
Send PM
vinnaray wrote:
Hi,

I'm an applicant from New Delhi. Anyone from around this part of the world receive an interview request yet?

rnjbond wrote:
Okay, got my interview request from an alum. I'll hit her up when I get back home.

Now, questions:
1) What to expect out of these?
2) Would an interview guide from, say, Stacy Blackman be useful?
3) How to actually e-mail the alum?
4) How should I dress for the interview? I'm going to try to schedule it on a weekend, but I do wear suits everyday for work.

Thanks!

(I'm not high maintenance, I swear)

Hi vinnaray,
I am from Hyderabad. Will submit my application in round 2. Infact, Kellogg MMM is the only program that I will apply to.
Initially, I thought of submitting my application in 1st rnd, but was not ready. So dragged it to round 2.
Regards,
rahul

Originally posted by rotorman on 06 Oct 2011, 07:54.
Last edited by rotorman on 06 Oct 2011, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
vinnaray wrote:
Hi,

I'm an applicant from New Delhi. Anyone from around this part of the world receive an interview request yet?

I am from Mumbai. Submitted Round 1. No interview invite yet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
kidchaos wrote:
vinnaray wrote:
Hi,

From Delhi as well - no invite as of now. Submitting part II in Round 1 by Oct 18th. hoping to see some action post that. On a separate note, what question are you (not only the Indians :) ) choosing in Essay 4?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
rnjbond wrote:
Okay, got my interview request from an alum. I'll hit her up when I get back home.

Now, questions:
4) How should I dress for the interview? I'm going to try to schedule it on a weekend, but I do wear suits everyday for work.

Thanks!

I think this is the same as any other interview. If you have not interviewed yet anywhere I would look through posts from last year to get some insight into the type of questions. Clearadmit also has a bank of question from past interviews. I have not used the Stacy Blackman guide, so I cannot speak to it.

I would e-mail the alum fairly professionally, forwarding the e-mail you got from kellogg as a reference point. I would just mention you wanted to get in touch to work out a day and time to meet up for the interview that was convenient for the both of you.

In terms of dress, I think it will depend on the date and location. If its a weekend in a public place it may be open to interpretation. In the past interviewers have indicated acceptable dress to be casual in that setting. At the end of the day use whatever they say as the baseline and do what feels the most comfortable. As a personal rule, I take the baseline and go up one as a minimum. So if I was told casual and I would do business casual as a fail safe, unless I knew for sure casual was how it should be.

Hope this helps.

Although I largely agree, I feel you should always dress business attire. If i am invited to interview (Dear God I hope so) it's gonna be the full treatment with cufflinks et all. The reason is, an interview at your dream business school could be a once in a lifetime opp, and a make or break. Adcoms ALWAYS advise to attend interviews in a professional manner - which normally business attire. There could be a raging debate around this, but thats how it is and what is expected in the interview. Even if the interviewer shows up in a Polo Tee with trousers and you go in a suit, ITS ALRIGHT. Just cause someone else dresses differently, you dont too.

On a separate note, of course if your interview is in an open air cafe right next to the beach where the temperature is 100F or something, of course you need to dress down a bit. I would however still recommend carrying your coat/blazer and giving it to the folks at the restaurant, and while you are at it, let your interviewer see it :) What I definitely suggest though, is experimenting with your wardrobe colour. White and blue shirts are safe, but you can def go with another cool shade. I personally prefer wearing grey suits than blue/black - blue/black are WAY too common - atleast in India. Plus I find grey to be a more 'soothing' colour than a black

if you specifically ask, no matter how casual the interviewer may sound in his response, he will def think why you asked cause its an interview and business formal is the way to go in absence of information. So best not to ask and be safe in your dress code.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
str1der wrote:
kidchaos wrote:
vinnaray wrote:
Hi,

From Delhi as well - no invite as of now. Submitting part II in Round 1 by Oct 18th. hoping to see some action post that. On a separate note, what question are you (not only the Indians :) ) choosing in Essay 4?

I think I'll go with People may be surprised to learn that I...

What abt u?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
str1der wrote:

I'm deciding between "Describe a time you presuaded a reluctant person or group" and "People would be surprised to know..."

I'm writing both essays and sending them to my proofreaders for feedback. Whichever one gets the best feedback I'll go with it. I really need to finish these drafts ASAP!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I am doing the surprised to know essay. I thought I had planned out my essay timelines perfectly, but the Kellogg deadline seems to be coming up quicker then I am ready for.
VP
VP
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
I am doing the surprised to know essay. I thought I had planned out my essay timelines perfectly, but the Kellogg deadline seems to be coming up quicker then I am ready for.

I couldn't stick to my timelines. Essay 1 took me over 2 months to write. I am not good with word limits so fitting everything in the allotted word count has been difficult. 400 words is killing me right now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah even I am doing the surprise essay. So a class full of surprises eh? I just hope the adcom doesnt send out emails titled 'You may be Surprised to know that ...' when they give decision, and play it back on us :) hehe. All the best guys!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
str1der wrote:
kidchaos wrote:
vinnaray wrote:
Hi,

In India, as you all must be aware, applicants for each round SIGNIFICANTLY outnumber the alums. Hence only a very few folks actually get an f-t-f interview with an alum.

From my experience, the way it goes for most of the Indian applicants (and other areas where concentration of alums is very low) is something like this -
1. All the folks submit an off-campus interview request
2. The very few folks that ad com can match up with alums are taken care off.
3. All the others are put into a pile of 'waiting to be interviewed'
4. All these folks receive a letter indicating an 'interview waiver' (usually post part-2 deadline) which basically states that due to overwhelming demand in your area, your interview cannot be scheduled and that if additional information is needed to render a decision, either a telephonic interview or a f-t-f interview with an alum will be scheduled...
5. So now comes the interesting part...if your credentials (work ex, GPA, GMAT etc.) don't make you an auto-reject for some reason, you will most likely be sent a request to schedule a telephonic interview. So you better be praying hard to get this email from Kellogg coz if you don't get it, you can be rest assured of a ding..
6. Once the telephonic interview is conducted, your application is reviewed and the normal application process flow continues..

Just thought of sharing this so that people don't speculate wildly...I know it's hard not to speculate when official information is so scarce...Been there, done that.. :)

And ya, btw, I'm also writing "People may be surprised to learn that...." :)
Interesting times we live in with people with plenty of hidden talents!! :P
VP
VP
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
And ya, btw, I'm also writing "People may be surprised to learn that...." :)
Interesting times we live in with people with plenty of hidden talents!! :P

Actually, I'm not taking the hidden talent approach to that particular question. I looked at it as an opportunity to shed some light on my background. People are often surprised by it once they find out. Using the whole, "not everything is what it seems" type of angle. Don't know if I'm going with that essay yet, but I felt that I was retreading other subjects with the other two questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: Q800 V750
GPA: 3.46
WE:Operations (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
+ 1 for R1. Just submitted Part 1 today, working on Part 2.

Do you guys think if I dont hit the 600/400 word limit on all the essays its going to be an issue? I think I've said all I want to in my drafts but am 25-75 words under on some essays. I dont want the admissions people to think that I am a slacker.

thanks
VP
VP
Send PM
biglove wrote:
+ 1 for R1. Just submitted Part 1 today, working on Part 2.

Do you guys think if I dont hit the 600/400 word limit on all the essays its going to be an issue? I think I've said all I want to in my drafts but am 25-75 words under on some essays. I dont want the admissions people to think that I am a slacker.

thanks

No I don't think they will see you as a slacker. But I would have someone read your essays without giving them the questions. Let them tell you what question you're answering. If they can't get the question from what you wrote, you may have more to convey. If they can give you the basic gist of the question with what you've written, then you should be good to go. Don't use words just to use them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rotorman wrote:
vinnaray wrote:
Hi,

rnjbond wrote:

Now, questions:

Thanks!

Hi vinnaray,
I am from Hyderabad. Will submit my application in round 2. Infact, Kellogg MMM is the only program that I will apply to.
Initially, I thought of submitting my application in 1st rnd, but was not ready. So dragged it to round 2.
Regards,
rahul

MMM is a pretty cool program. May I ask why you are only applying to this one program?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
str1der wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:
rnjbond wrote:

Now, questions:

Thanks!

I think this is the same as any other interview. If you have not interviewed yet anywhere I would look through posts from last year to get some insight into the type of questions. Clearadmit also has a bank of question from past interviews. I have not used the Stacy Blackman guide, so I cannot speak to it.

I would e-mail the alum fairly professionally, forwarding the e-mail you got from kellogg as a reference point. I would just mention you wanted to get in touch to work out a day and time to meet up for the interview that was convenient for the both of you.

In terms of dress, I think it will depend on the date and location. If its a weekend in a public place it may be open to interpretation. In the past interviewers have indicated acceptable dress to be casual in that setting. At the end of the day use whatever they say as the baseline and do what feels the most comfortable. As a personal rule, I take the baseline and go up one as a minimum. So if I was told casual and I would do business casual as a fail safe, unless I knew for sure casual was how it should be.

Hope this helps.

Although I largely agree, I feel you should always dress business attire. If i am invited to interview (Dear God I hope so) it's gonna be the full treatment with cufflinks et all. The reason is, an interview at your dream business school could be a once in a lifetime opp, and a make or break. Adcoms ALWAYS advise to attend interviews in a professional manner - which normally business attire. There could be a raging debate around this, but thats how it is and what is expected in the interview. Even if the interviewer shows up in a Polo Tee with trousers and you go in a suit, ITS ALRIGHT. Just cause someone else dresses differently, you dont too.

On a separate note, of course if your interview is in an open air cafe right next to the beach where the temperature is 100F or something, of course you need to dress down a bit. I would however still recommend carrying your coat/blazer and giving it to the folks at the restaurant, and while you are at it, let your interviewer see it :) What I definitely suggest though, is experimenting with your wardrobe colour. White and blue shirts are safe, but you can def go with another cool shade. I personally prefer wearing grey suits than blue/black - blue/black are WAY too common - atleast in India. Plus I find grey to be a more 'soothing' colour than a black

if you specifically ask, no matter how casual the interviewer may sound in his response, he will def think why you asked cause its an interview and business formal is the way to go in absence of information. So best not to ask and be safe in your dress code.

Just to add a comment about this. Assume formal unless told otherwise. My interviewer told me casual was fine so I went with polo and jeans. It worked out fine.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  97   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts