Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg, Columbia, Yale, LBS
GMAT 2: 680  Q47  V35
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Hi fella-gmatclubers,

I just have received an e-mail with information for my interviewer. I'm planning to call him tomorrow to set up an interview. This is the first one for me.

Will any current students, alumni or candidates who already went through the interview share their wisdom or helpful tips on specifics of interview with Admission alumni? Any helpful advice/comment/suggestion will be appreciated.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
alexBLR wrote:
Will any current students, alumni or candidates who already went through the interview share their wisdom or helpful tips on specifics of interview with Admission alumni? Any helpful advice/comment/suggestion will be appreciated.

As an alumni interviewer, my advice is know yourself and read up on your own essays. Kellogg essays give you lots of material that would be helpful in the interview process. Be professional, but personable. A lot of alums will look at you and will ask themselves , would I want to be classmates with this guy/gal and do I want him/her representing my school.

Make a good impression by dressing appropriately and show up early, nothing pisses me off more when interviewing for Kellogg or work than having someone not have the courtesy to show up on time. I am taking out my personal time to help them, I give them the respect to be on time. If someone is late they damn well better have a good reason or I that is some serious points against them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
My interview was scheduled in two weeks. Hope this won't be too late. How about yours?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
alexBLR wrote:

As an alumni interviewer, my advice is know yourself and read up on your own essays. Kellogg essays give you lots of material that would be helpful in the interview process. Be professional, but personable. A lot of alums will look at you and will ask themselves , would I want to be classmates with this guy/gal and do I want him/her representing my school.

Make a good impression by dressing appropriately and show up early, nothing pisses me off more when interviewing for Kellogg or work than having someone not have the courtesy to show up on time. I am taking out my personal time to help them, I give them the respect to be on time. If someone is late they damn well better have a good reason or I that is some serious points against them.

River, thanks for your reply and advises. I was just in the process of reading you posts in 2011 thread:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ciduo777 wrote:
My interview was scheduled in two weeks. Hope this won't be too late. How about yours?

I have not scheduled it yet-will do it in the next few days. I don't think that having an interview 2 weeks from now is late. I would think that some people will be interviewing in November as well.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
rhythmandsoul wrote:
This one's for the admission consultants or somebody who's done with the first draft of the essays. How strict is the committee on the word limit? I've narrowed it down to 666 words for the first question, but really hate to prune it beyond that. What is the degree of flexibility, if any, on the word limit on the essays?

Btw, nice number that 666 :)

While I personally think being 5-10% over is fine, I think it really depends. I know when I review my essays, I try to get as close to the word count as possible. Really reading the essay as a whole and identifying the weakest sentence was my biggest help. I was able to remove 50 words or so on each essay by doing this without losing context, flow, or direction. I think in the end, my essays were even strong.

I am not sure how strict Kellogg is, but I have heard 2 different views on this. One is the word count is a guide, and as long as you are not grossly over, you will be fine. The other is that the adcom stops reading at the word limit. I would get as close to the word limit as possible just in case this is the situation.

I would also caution to look at the total length of all your essays combined. While going over on an essay by 10% is probably going to be ok, if all of your essays are 10% over the limit, it's going to be much more obvious that you haven't paid attention to the word limits. It's always possible to write a compelling essay within the word limits allowed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
I just got an interview from Kellogg and was wondering when the interviews normally occur? I realize that it probably depends on the interviewer but is it strange to try and meet up with them on the weekend? I recently have been working in a different city Monday-Friday and return home on the weekends. Is it rude to impose on their weekends or is it more of the norm?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
rjthomas21 wrote:
I just got an interview from Kellogg and was wondering when the interviews normally occur? I realize that it probably depends on the interviewer but is it strange to try and meet up with them on the weekend? I recently have been working in a different city Monday-Friday and return home on the weekends. Is it rude to impose on their weekends or is it more of the norm?

Weekends are fine. I think it really depends on your interviewer. Since it is an alumni who works full time themselves, weekends may be best for them to begin with.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
rjthomas21 wrote:

Weekends are fine. I think it really depends on your interviewer. Since it is an alumni who works full time themselves, weekends may be best for them to begin with.

My interviewer offered a weekend option as one of the 4-5 times we could meet. Having said that, I don't think I'd lead by asking for a weekend interview. Maybe you should just ask your interviewer what days/times works best for him/her and then see if they propose a weekend option.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I would actually prefer to interview a candidate on the weekend. Work schedules can be a little unpredictable so by scheduling on the weekend I'd be sure to have time before the interview to prepare and gather my thoughts. That's my preference though and others may be different. Bottom line is it's up to you and your interviewer to find a time that's mutually convenient, but don't assume off the bat that weekends are off limits.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare,Finance, Strategy, Consulting
Schools:LBS, Harvard, Kellogs, ESADE
 Q49  V32
WE 1: 70 months
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:
rhythmandsoul wrote:
This one's for the admission consultants or somebody who's done with the first draft of the essays. How strict is the committee on the word limit? I've narrowed it down to 666 words for the first question, but really hate to prune it beyond that. What is the degree of flexibility, if any, on the word limit on the essays?

Btw, nice number that 666 :)

While I personally think being 5-10% over is fine, I think it really depends. I know when I review my essays, I try to get as close to the word count as possible. Really reading the essay as a whole and identifying the weakest sentence was my biggest help. I was able to remove 50 words or so on each essay by doing this without losing context, flow, or direction. I think in the end, my essays were even strong.

I am not sure how strict Kellogg is, but I have heard 2 different views on this. One is the word count is a guide, and as long as you are not grossly over, you will be fine. The other is that the adcom stops reading at the word limit. I would get as close to the word limit as possible just in case this is the situation.

I would also caution to look at the total length of all your essays combined. While going over on an essay by 10% is probably going to be ok, if all of your essays are 10% over the limit, it's going to be much more obvious that you haven't paid attention to the word limits. It's always possible to write a compelling essay within the word limits allowed.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the general conclusion is to stick to the word limit as much as possible and overdoing it by 5-10 % on a question is permissible. Going to give my essays a breather for a while and return to it after a day or two. Let's see how that works!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare,Finance, Strategy, Consulting
Schools:LBS, Harvard, Kellogs, ESADE
 Q49  V32
WE 1: 70 months
Send PM
After giving it a thought, I've decided to post this and get some feedback from you guys at the cost of canvassing my stupidity!

I have made a blooper in the chronological order on my resume during Part I of the application of the resume viz. I have put in the period of my current job as Present- Jan 2010 instead of Jan 2011 and the tenure for my previous job as 03/2008-10/2011 instead of 03/2008-10/2010. So I guess the obvious question is:

a) I am assuming the team at Kellogg looks at Part I and Part II in totality. Under this assumption, I hope to correct this error in the additional information section of my essays. Is my assumption correct?

b) Can such a schoolboy error in the resume be an outright grounds for rejection?

It's possible that the extreme speculation in b) is just a natural outcome of my current state of mind

Help much appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
rhythmandsoul wrote:
After giving it a thought, I've decided to post this and get some feedback from you guys at the cost of canvassing my stupidity!

I have made a blooper in the chronological order on my resume during Part I of the application of the resume viz. I have put in the period of my current job as Present- Jan 2010 instead of Jan 2011 and the tenure for my previous job as 03/2008-10/2011 instead of 03/2008-10/2010. So I guess the obvious question is:

a) I am assuming the team at Kellogg looks at Part I and Part II in totality. Under this assumption, I hope to correct this error in the additional information section of my essays. Is my assumption correct?

b) Can such a schoolboy error in the resume be an outright grounds for rejection?

It's possible that the extreme speculation in b) is just a natural outcome of my current state of mind

Help much appreciated!

Hey, don't worry, there's only so much you can do now. I'd suggest mailing the Adcom an updated CV and request them to update your file accordingly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Send PM
Do first year students at Kellogg get separated into clusters or cohorts during the core curriculum?

I thought I remembered hearing this, but I can't find anything that confirms it on the website...

And if so, are these groups formally called 'clusters,' or 'cohorts', or what?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE:Other (Venture Capital)
Send PM
rhythmandsoul wrote:

Help much appreciated!

I'll give you an anecdote that might make you feel better. When I was applying to PhD programs in psychology I accidentally referred to the female professor I wanted to work with at Yale as "he" multiple times because I had cut and paste part of my statement of purpose from a different school's essay and edited it. She had an obviously female name, by the way. When I realized my mistake I figured I would get rejected outright but I was accepted to work with this prof and it was never mentioned (and these programs have even slimmer acceptance rates than most top MBA programs).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Send PM
Does anyone know how long an interview on campus with an adcom is scheduled to last?

30mins, 1hr?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
GPA: 3.65
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
In for R1!!
GMAT Club Bot