Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 07:51 It is currently 15 May 2024, 07:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Send PM
Re: HAAS hopeful here with odd stats :) (Evaluations welcome) [#permalink]
I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Peter

rosemont83 wrote:
theBestFella wrote:
Here's my 2 cents.

- Don't worry about anything else, just focus on GMAT, it's easier to build a better profile with higher score than lower score.

- GPA is just one factor schools look in. There are other reasons should school decide to admit/deny you.

- Your GMAT Q is off by a lot for someone from EE or Accounting background.

- Why only HAAS?

Peter

Hi Peter,

My BA was in Economics and my MS is in accounting. It was also the Manhattan CAT which I've heard is a little harder than the other practice tests. I wasn't super focused when I took it also and it has been a while since I did the Algebra, Geometry, level stuff. I've also taken Calculus but the most recent math courses I've taken were statistics based. Also, I'm used to using a calculator and the practice test was the first time I restricted myself to not using one so I am also rusty.

I like the curriculum of HAAS and the way that it is structured, the culture fits with my values and the location of HAAS is perfect (as I mentioned, one of my parents is disabled and would be very sad if I moved to a different state also). I *might* start to consider other schools but really, my heart is set on HAAS, and you only get one MBA so I don't want to go somewhere else and regret it forever. :lol:

I will definitely focus on the GMAT at this point. I feel like I am naturally good at taking tests of the GMAT's nature, I just have to get back in the groove and practice. For those old California SAT 9 and STAR testing examinations in elementary school I used to score 99th percentile on basically everything but that was elementary school and I don't think those tests even exist anymore haha.

Thank you Peter!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
I would have to agree with Peter, you should definitely focus on the GMAT. From looking at your Quant score, I would say you have a relatively good understanding of the basic concepts that are being tested. I would suggest studying for another 2 weeks and taking another CAT. If you have access to Assessment reports on Manhattan, use these to pinpoint your weak areas and focus on that first.

Just my suggestion. Good luck :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mogarza08 wrote:
I would have to agree with Peter, you should definitely focus on the GMAT. From looking at your Quant score, I would say you have a relatively good understanding of the basic concepts that are being tested. I would suggest studying for another 2 weeks and taking another CAT. If you have access to Assessment reports on Manhattan, use these to pinpoint your weak areas and focus on that first.

Just my suggestion. Good luck :)

Thank you. I should have access to all of the assessment reports and I'll be going through that today in order to make an error log to guide my studying. I will likely make a post in the GMAT section about the studying process and how to get the most out of my materials a little bit later today, in order to be consistent with the forum section topics.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing.

Focus on the GMAT at this point, improving on the score could greatly help your chances.

You have rich materials to use for your essays, you can stand out by presenting a powerful personal story to show how you have grown, and how you will perform post-MBA.

All the best and look forward to your updates!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepEdison wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Focus on the GMAT at this point, improving on the score could greatly help your chances.

You have rich materials to use for your essays, you can stand out by presenting a powerful personal story to show how you have grown, and how you will perform post-MBA.

Thank you. I am focusing heavily on the GMAT currently.
I just took a few foundation courses and feel I can go through the practice CAT at least 20% faster, having brushed up on all of the little tricks and rules that I haven't used since high school. :)

Now comes the fun part of actual GMAT study!
I actually postponed my test until September 17 in order to give myself more time. The deadline for round 1 applications is Sept 29th so I think I will only have one shot at this..
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10054 [0]
Given Kudos: 4546
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Good luck to all prospective Haas applicants for GMAT and applications this season!

Just wanted to inform you all that we have started official discussion thread for Class of 2019 applicants. (calling-all-haas-berkeley-applicants-2017-intake-class-of-220469.html) You are welcome to join the discussion. If anyone is interested in becoming ThreadMaster for the Haas discussion thread, please PM your request to me.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
rosemont83 wrote:
VeritasPrepEdison wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. I am focusing heavily on the GMAT currently.
I just took a few foundation courses and feel I can go through the practice CAT at least 20% faster, having brushed up on all of the little tricks and rules that I haven't used since high school. :)

Now comes the fun part of actual GMAT study!
I actually postponed my test until September 17 in order to give myself more time. The deadline for round 1 applications is Sept 29th so I think I will only have one shot at this..

Great to hear about your progress!

It would also help doing practice full-length tests, simulating as much of the test-day environment (including time/routine) as possible.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi All,

I have applied to UC Berkeley MFE Program in Round 3. It has been 27 days since my application is marked as "Application Under Review". I have not heard from them yet. Their Round 3 decision deadline is August 19 though but I have not heard from them for an interview too. Some one else i know who applied in this round got an interview in 10 days. Does this mean I am rejected?

There are a total of 4 rounds in their application process.

This is really worrying me now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [5]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Kudos
rosemont83 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm currently preparing for the Fall 2017 HAAS full-time MBA and will be taking the GMAT at the end of August.

By "odd stats" in my title, I obviously mean bad stats :lol: Out of high school I had a 4.20 GPA and went to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo for one year as an Electrical Engineering major. I hated the curriculum and they didn't allow changes of majors out of that program so I basically wasted my time there and left with about a 1.0 GPA (which actually had a much bigger effect than I thought it would at the time).
I switched schools (don't know if I got kicked out of CP or not but I didn't want to be at the school anyways so I never asked or checked) and went to community college, and then transferred to CSUS as an Economics Major. I raised my grades quite a bit but still had a horrible GPA of 2.85 CSU with a 2.60 cumulative GPA, but I was not the same person I was when I started my college career and I had grown quite a bit. I decided to attend my CSU's graduate program, the Master of Science in Accountancy, and I graduated this past December (2015) with a 3.70 GPA and was in an honors fraternity. I took the GMAT for that program but it was rather low as it was a last minute decision and I basically just signed up, walked in and took the GMAT so I am taking it again now.

I have purchased Manhattan Prep's study materials and took a Manhattan practice CAT and achieved a low score of 570 Q37 V31. I am hoping/planning to score in the 710+ range in 2.5 months when I take the actual test.

I do have circumstances surrounding my life that are different than some; first person from the family that went to college, oldest child of the family, disabled parent, lived under the poverty line my whole life, worked full-time throughout college, both undergrad and grad.

I managed a store for 4 of the past 6 years and then I transitioned into the accounting industry and have been doing that for about 11 months. When I managed the store I hit some good numbers and I will be having the owner of that store write me a recommendation as well as my direct manager of the accounting firm that I currently work at.
I've also been volunteering for six months at a start-up asset management firm/investment bank, which is really tiny so I'm not sure that putting this on my resume would even do much.
There's more to my story, but I will save the details for the adcom :)

I really am going to put 100% into this application process, as HAAS is the only program that I want to attend. I've done much research and from what I can gather about the values, curriculum and alumni network, HAAS is perfect me. I want my MBA to be an inspiring, transformative experience, that will positively and directly influence my life and will indirectly benefit those around me.

I know that this is an uphill battle but I am determined and I know that the first step (besides getting my mind right for this chapter of my life) is to destroy the GMAT, which I am confident I will be able to do this time around. I really value all of the resources I've found so far on gmatclub and I look forward to continuing to read and learn from all of your experiences in order to be successful on this test and application.

I'm not going to lie, I feel intimidated by the great stats and work experience of the many who apply and the class profile is of course, top-notch, but I still have to give this my best shot.

If anyone has any tips, criticisms, or general advice that would help me out, I will be very appreciative of any comments, and if I can help out in any way I will do so :-D

Good luck to everyone on here!

First off, best of luck! Haas is a phenomenal school -- amazing culture and values, great location, awesome people. Here's some advice from my own experiences applying to MBA programs:

- I see that you postponed your GMAT exam till September 17 and are looking to apply R1. One piece of advice is that if you can afford it, take the GMAT twice. Most people score better the second time around. I personally felt fully prepared but then found that my nerves got the best of me. I scored a 650 the first time I took the GMAT, but then scored a 730 (I was consistently scoring a 710 - 750 on the Manhatten Prep GMAT practice tests before taking the exam). I'm going out on a limb in saying I probably wouldn't be going to Harvard if I stuck with the first score :? I also applied round 2 to give myself another go at the GMAT and more time to complete my applications (but R1 is preferable if you can get materials ready in time). If you score a 720+, then you don't need to retake the GMAT. Remember, schools really only look at your top GMAT score. Because of your low undergrad GPA, your GMAT score will be VERY important to demonstrate you can handle the course load and excel academically. With a few months of studying, I'm sure you'll be able to get a great score! Make sure to take regular full-length diagnostic tests to build up your endurance, and I also recommend focusing on your weaknesses first since that will give you the biggest initial score jump.

- Apply to more schools. Haas has an extremely small class size and is EXTREMELY competitive. Not saying you won't get in (they'd be lucky to have you!), but it helps to have a back-up plan. You don't need to go overboard and apply to 10 schools, but it might be wise to apply to a few schools R1 (your dream schools) and have some back-ups for R2 (schools outside the top 10 in rankings). Going into the process, I had a few schools I knew I wanted to apply to, but after doing research and visits, I fell in love with several other schools as well. Some people only want to get an MBA if they get into their dream school, but I personally think that approach is a little short-sighted. There are sooooo many amazing programs out there!!!

- Haas cares a lot about their core values. Work those into your essays and really demonstrate that you did your research and are a good fit for the program. I know this seems like obvious advice, but everyone I know who got interviews at Haas referenced these values in their essays or really showed their love for Haas' unique offerings (get specific -- what courses, professors, clubs, conferences, do you want to take advantage of, etc.). My impression is that the essays matter a lot for Haas. When I interviewed at Haas, I was asked three different ways why I wanted to come to Haas and why the school is a good fit for me.

- Business schools unfortunately care more about your undergrad GPA than masters GPA (average undergrad GPA is what is reported and factors in for rankings, so schools have an incentive to raise the average GPA to improve their school rankings). Rumor has it that Haas is a school that cares a lot about GPA. The good news is you have a quantitative masters degree and great GPA for the masters program, so you can show that you can handle the work. Just make sure to explain in a clear way the challenges you faced in undergrad and how you grew as a person, achieved success in your masters program. I think you have a really solid narrative. The best advice I got was connect all the dots in your essays -- do the work for the admissions team. Don't try to hid your weaknesses. Everyone has weaknesses, and it's much better to address them directly and explain the situation in your own words (so you control the narrative) than leave the admissions committee guessing what happened (and come across as less honest for hiding any perceived weaknesses). For me, I had a relatively weak quantitative score on the GMAT that I addressed directly. I also had a large gap in my work history searching for my next job. I pointed out these potential red flags and explained my situation. Nobody brought up either issue in any of my interviews. I'm not advising you focus all your essays on explaining away weaknesses -- in fact, limit that to one essay. Most essays should be stories demonstrating your leadership and accomplishments, or sharing more about who you are and what you hope to do in the future.

Best of luck during this process. It's a grueling and stressful time, but it will all be worth it when you get your acceptance letter. You're going to do great -- stay positive. Keep us all posted on how things are going!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
giapocalypse wrote:
rosemont83 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm currently preparing for the Fall 2017 HAAS full-time MBA and will be taking the GMAT at the end of August.

By "odd stats" in my title, I obviously mean bad stats :lol: Out of high school I had a 4.20 GPA and went to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo for one year as an Electrical Engineering major. I hated the curriculum and they didn't allow changes of majors out of that program so I basically wasted my time there and left with about a 1.0 GPA (which actually had a much bigger effect than I thought it would at the time).
I switched schools (don't know if I got kicked out of CP or not but I didn't want to be at the school anyways so I never asked or checked) and went to community college, and then transferred to CSUS as an Economics Major. I raised my grades quite a bit but still had a horrible GPA of 2.85 CSU with a 2.60 cumulative GPA, but I was not the same person I was when I started my college career and I had grown quite a bit. I decided to attend my CSU's graduate program, the Master of Science in Accountancy, and I graduated this past December (2015) with a 3.70 GPA and was in an honors fraternity. I took the GMAT for that program but it was rather low as it was a last minute decision and I basically just signed up, walked in and took the GMAT so I am taking it again now.

I have purchased Manhattan Prep's study materials and took a Manhattan practice CAT and achieved a low score of 570 Q37 V31. I am hoping/planning to score in the 710+ range in 2.5 months when I take the actual test.

I do have circumstances surrounding my life that are different than some; first person from the family that went to college, oldest child of the family, disabled parent, lived under the poverty line my whole life, worked full-time throughout college, both undergrad and grad.

I managed a store for 4 of the past 6 years and then I transitioned into the accounting industry and have been doing that for about 11 months. When I managed the store I hit some good numbers and I will be having the owner of that store write me a recommendation as well as my direct manager of the accounting firm that I currently work at.
I've also been volunteering for six months at a start-up asset management firm/investment bank, which is really tiny so I'm not sure that putting this on my resume would even do much.

I really am going to put 100% into this application process, as HAAS is the only program that I want to attend. I've done much research and from what I can gather about the values, curriculum and alumni network, HAAS is perfect me. I want my MBA to be an inspiring, transformative experience, that will positively and directly influence my life and will indirectly benefit those around me.

I know that this is an uphill battle but I am determined and I know that the first step (besides getting my mind right for this chapter of my life) is to destroy the GMAT, which I am confident I will be able to do this time around. I really value all of the resources I've found so far on gmatclub and I look forward to continuing to read and learn from all of your experiences in order to be successful on this test and application.

I'm not going to lie, I feel intimidated by the great stats and work experience of the many who apply and the class profile is of course, top-notch, but I still have to give this my best shot.

If anyone has any tips, criticisms, or general advice that would help me out, I will be very appreciative of any comments, and if I can help out in any way I will do so :-D

First off, best of luck! Haas is a phenomenal school -- amazing culture and values, great location, awesome people. Here's some advice from my own experiences applying to MBA programs:

- I see that you postponed your GMAT exam till September 17 and are looking to apply R1. One piece of advice is that if you can afford it, take the GMAT twice. Most people score better the second time around. I personally felt fully prepared but then found that my nerves got the best of me. I scored a 650 the first time I took the GMAT, but then scored a 730 (I was consistently scoring a 710 - 750 on the Manhatten Prep GMAT practice tests before taking the exam). I'm going out on a limb in saying I probably wouldn't be going to Harvard if I stuck with the first score :? I also applied round 2 to give myself another go at the GMAT and more time to complete my applications (but R1 is preferable if you can get materials ready in time). If you score a 720+, then you don't need to retake the GMAT. Remember, schools really only look at your top GMAT score. Because of your low undergrad GPA, your GMAT score will be VERY important to demonstrate you can handle the course load and excel academically. With a few months of studying, I'm sure you'll be able to get a great score! Make sure to take regular full-length diagnostic tests to build up your endurance, and I also recommend focusing on your weaknesses first since that will give you the biggest initial score jump.

- Apply to more schools. Haas has an extremely small class size and is EXTREMELY competitive. Not saying you won't get in (they'd be lucky to have you!), but it helps to have a back-up plan. You don't need to go overboard and apply to 10 schools, but it might be wise to apply to a few schools R1 (your dream schools) and have some back-ups for R2 (schools outside the top 10 in rankings). Going into the process, I had a few schools I knew I wanted to apply to, but after doing research and visits, I fell in love with several other schools as well. Some people only want to get an MBA if they get into their dream school, but I personally think that approach is a little short-sighted. There are sooooo many amazing programs out there!!!

- Haas cares a lot about their core values. Work those into your essays and really demonstrate that you did your research and are a good fit for the program. I know this seems like obvious advice, but everyone I know who got interviews at Haas referenced these values in their essays or really showed their love for Haas' unique offerings (get specific -- what courses, professors, clubs, conferences, do you want to take advantage of, etc.). My impression is that the essays matter a lot for Haas. When I interviewed at Haas, I was asked three different ways why I wanted to come to Haas and why the school is a good fit for me.

- Business schools unfortunately care more about your undergrad GPA than masters GPA (average undergrad GPA is what is reported and factors in for rankings, so schools have an incentive to raise the average GPA to improve their school rankings). Rumor has it that Haas is a school that cares a lot about GPA. The good news is you have a quantitative masters degree and great GPA for the masters program, so you can show that you can handle the work. Just make sure to explain in a clear way the challenges you faced in undergrad and how you grew as a person, achieved success in your masters program. I think you have a really solid narrative. The best advice I got was connect all the dots in your essays -- do the work for the admissions team. Don't try to hid your weaknesses. Everyone has weaknesses, and it's much better to address them directly and explain the situation in your own words (so you control the narrative) than leave the admissions committee guessing what happened (and come across as less honest for hiding any perceived weaknesses). For me, I had a relatively weak quantitative score on the GMAT that I addressed directly. I also had a large gap in my work history searching for my next job. I pointed out these potential red flags and explained my situation. Nobody brought up either issue in any of my interviews. I'm not advising you focus all your essays on explaining away weaknesses -- in fact, limit that to one essay. Most essays should be stories demonstrating your leadership and accomplishments, or sharing more about who you are and what you hope to do in the future.

Best of luck during this process. It's a grueling and stressful time, but it will all be worth it when you get your acceptance letter. You're going to do great -- stay positive. Keep us all posted on how things are going!

Thank you so much for this invaluable advice! I will definitely be referencing back to this soon. I'll be taking another CAT this weekend so I'm hoping there will be a big jump between my first attempt and this next attempt. I feel like I knew nothing when I first took it and that feeling is basically gone so that might be good news!

Currently trying NOT to play Pokemon and keep on top of my study time instead, as I'm sure many others here are doing :lol:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shrey191 wrote:
Hi All,

I have applied to UC Berkeley MFE Program in Round 3. It has been 27 days since my application is marked as "Application Under Review". I have not heard from them yet. Their Round 3 decision deadline is August 19 though but I have not heard from them for an interview too. Some one else i know who applied in this round got an interview in 10 days. Does this mean I am rejected?

There are a total of 4 rounds in their application process.

This is really worrying me now.

I hope you received a positive response from the adcom! Generally speaking, if a deadline hasn't passed then you still have time to hear back. I'm pretty sure there is a Haas specific thread around here somewhere but I am unfamiliar with the MFE program details.

Best of luck!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1430 [0]
Given Kudos: 573
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
giapocalypse wrote:
rosemont83 wrote:
Hello everyone,

giapocalypse THIS POST ROCKS the $HIT out of life! I gave you kudos but wish I could give you like one zillion kudos for this post. rosemont83 I strongly recommend that you READ THIS POST OUT LOUD WHILE LOOKING IN THE MIRROR for the sake of your future. She knows what's up. giapocalypse good luck at HBS! I think you have the makings of a good admissions consultant.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1430 [3]
Given Kudos: 573
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rosemont83 wrote:
Hello everyone,

rosemont83 Howdy neighbor, big shouts from Garden Highway! Enjoying the 103 degree weather?

Can I guess that you were born in 83? If you are 33 - that is the absolute oldest for applying for a FT MBA so keep that in mind.

I switched schools (don't know if I got kicked out of CP or not but I didn't want to be at the school anyways so I never asked or checked) and went to community college, and then transferred to CSUS as an Economics Major.

I also got my BA in Econ from CSUS waaaay back in 1996. Then taught Macro & Micro at ARC in 2005, and then taught Strategic Mgmt & Advertising at CSUS 2010-11 while ramping up my consultancy

I raised my grades quite a bit but still had a horrible GPA of 2.85 CSU with a 2.60 cumulative GPA, but I was not the same person I was when I started my college career and I had grown quite a bit. I decided to attend my CSU's graduate program, the Master of Science in Accountancy, and I graduated this past December (2015) with a 3.70 GPA and was in an honors fraternity. I took the GMAT for that program but it was rather low as it was a last minute decision and I basically just signed up, walked in and took the GMAT so I am taking it again now.

Congrats on getting great grades in your masters at CSUS. Did you do stats or calculus as part of that? Need a track record of academic success in quant courses along with a strong GMAT to be competitive. If not, do MBA Math. Look it up.

I have greater regard for MP in quant than verbal. Like 99% of my clients come to be deeply confused by MP questions and strategies; I have to unravel all the bad programming. Please contact me if you need verbal help. I have awesome test-taking strategies for those who don't have time to relearn English. FYI, for a career in Investment Banking, you generally need a GMAT of 700+ to be considered

Definitely good essay material

I think it will still benefit you, you are taking steps to achieve a goal. What are your MBA goals?

I really am going to put 100% into this application process, as HAAS is the only program that I want to attend.

OK I need to show you the light and set you straight here. This is extremely foolish. Applying to Haas as the ONLY school WILL NOT increase your chances of being accepted. It is not like a dating relationship, where your commitment to them will increase the chances of it being reciprocated.

Please realize that the acceptance rate at Haas is almost that of HBS, because the class size is so small. It is VERY HARD to get in there, even with a totally unblemished profile.

If you are 33, you have NO time to waste. This is your last year to be seen as a viable applicant for a FT MBA program, and therefore, should diversify your school portfolio a great deal. The recommended practice is 3 stretch schools 3 schools where you meet the average criteria and 3 safety schools. Be more logical and analytical than hopeful. Crossing fingers is not a strategy. Always think of yourself as the rule and not the exception

I've done much research and from what I can gather about the values, curriculum and alumni network, HAAS is perfect me.

Yes, but will they be as convinced about you as you are about them? Enthusiasm is not a rare commodity for Haas. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but to help you adopt the right mindset here.

[/b]I want my MBA to be an inspiring, transformative experience, that will positively and directly influence my life and will indirectly benefit those around me.

This last line is also good essay material!

I like your attitude of gratitude

In order to give it your best shot, please put your full attention on the GMAT between now and September and put your application to the side. Studying for the GMAT and attempting to write your application essays - along with all the other components of a strong app - is called sabotaging your chances for success and shooting yourself in the foot. Get the GMAT sorted - quickly - and then work with a professional on your application elements

I feel for you re: the disabled parent, but isn't it likely that you will eventually need to leave Sacramento anyways to pursue your IB career? The course curriculum is already overwhelming, not to mention recruitment, student organizations, attending speakers, externships, networking, social stuff.

I don't see you driving back here for many Sunday dinners. To be honest, I was so slammed in my MBA program I could have lived on Mars or Jupiter. The location was irrelevant. 21 months (or 10 months) when you need to put your CAREER in first place which will eventually give you the finances and flexibility in your life down the road.

If you want a career in investment banking - listen - you need to apply to several schools, and sadly, most of those schools are not on the West Coast. https://news.efinancialcareers.com/us-en ... t-banking/

If staying in California is more important than going to good schools for Investment Banking, I would like to see you apply at UC Anderson and also UC Davis. If you are 31, and want to be close to home, it might make sense to do some research to apply to the Haas weekend program. The acceptance rate is a bit more reasonable for that program.

Please feel free to contact me via my website for a full profile evaluation - sorry for my harsh words but I am trying to talk you off the ledge here.

I really want to help you get what you want!The truth is, Haas, while it is wonderful, is not the only MBA program that will help you achieve your goal. So give it your all - but not your only.

Sending you all my best!!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
rosemont83 wrote:
Hello everyone,

rosemont83 Howdy neighbor, big shouts from Garden Highway! Enjoying the 103 degree weather?

Can I guess that you were born in 83? If you are 31 - that is a little bit on the older side so keep that in mind.

I switched schools (don't know if I got kicked out of CP or not but I didn't want to be at the school anyways so I never asked or checked) and went to community college, and then transferred to CSUS as an Economics Major.

I also got my BA in Econ from CSUS waaaay back in 1996. Then taught Macro & Micro at ARC in 2005, and then taught Strategic Mgmt & Advertising at CSUS 2010-11 while ramping up my consultancy

I raised my grades quite a bit but still had a horrible GPA of 2.85 CSU with a 2.60 cumulative GPA, but I was not the same person I was when I started my college career and I had grown quite a bit. I decided to attend my CSU's graduate program, the Master of Science in Accountancy, and I graduated this past December (2015) with a 3.70 GPA and was in an honors fraternity. I took the GMAT for that program but it was rather low as it was a last minute decision and I basically just signed up, walked in and took the GMAT so I am taking it again now.

Congrats on getting great grades in your masters at CSUS. Did you do stats or calculus as part of that? Need a track record of academic success in quant courses along with a strong GMAT to be competitive. If not, do MBA Math. Look it up.

I have greater regard for MP in quant than verbal. Like 99% of my clients come to be deeply confused by MP questions and strategies; I have to unravel all the bad programming. Please contact me if you need verbal help. I have awesome test-taking strategies for those who don't have time to relearn English. FYI, for a career in Investment Banking, you generally need a GMAT of 700+ to be considered

Definitely good essay material

I think it will still benefit you, you are taking steps to achieve a goal. What are your MBA goals?

I really am going to put 100% into this application process, as HAAS is the only program that I want to attend.

OK I need to show you the light and set you straight here. This is extremely foolish. Applying to Haas as the ONLY school WILL NOT increase your chances of being accepted. It is not like a dating relationship, where your commitment to them will increase the chances of it being reciprocated.

Please realize that the acceptance rate at Haas is almost that of HBS, because the class size is so small. It is VERY HARD to get in there, even with a totally unblemished profile.

If you are 31, you have NO time to waste and should diversify your school portfolio a great deal. The recommended practice is 3 stretch schools 3 schools where you meet the average criteria and 3 safety schools. Be more logical and analytical than hopeful. Crossing fingers is not a strategy. Always think of yourself as the rule and not the exception

I've done much research and from what I can gather about the values, curriculum and alumni network, HAAS is perfect me.

Yes, but will they be as convinced about you as you are about them? Enthusiasm is not a rare commodity for Haas. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but to help you adopt the right mindset here.

[/b]I want my MBA to be an inspiring, transformative experience, that will positively and directly influence my life and will indirectly benefit those around me.

This last line is also good essay material!

I like your attitude of gratitude

In order to give it your best shot, please put your full attention on the GMAT between now and September and put your application to the side. Studying for the GMAT and attempting to write your application essays - along with all the other components of a strong app - is called sabotaging your chances for success and shooting yourself in the foot. Get the GMAT sorted - quickly - and then work with a professional on your application elements

I feel for you re: the disabled parent, but isn't it likely that you will eventually need to leave Sacramento anyways to pursue your IB career? The course curriculum is already overwhelming, not to mention recruitment, student organizations, attending speakers, externships, networking, social stuff.

I don't see you driving back here for many Sunday dinners. To be honest, I was so slammed in my MBA program I could have lived on Mars or Jupiter. The location was irrelevant. 21 months (or 10 months) when you need to put your CAREER in first place which will eventually give you the finances and flexibility in your life down the road.

If you want a career in investment banking - listen - you need to apply to several schools, and sadly, most of those schools are not on the West Coast. https://news.efinancialcareers.com/us-en ... t-banking/

If staying in California is more important than going to good schools for Investment Banking, I would like to see you apply at UC Anderson and also UC Davis. If you are 31, and want to be close to home, it might make sense to do some research to apply to the Haas weekend program. The acceptance rate is a bit more reasonable for that program.

Please feel free to contact me via my website for a full profile evaluation - sorry for my harsh words but I am trying to talk you off the ledge here.

I really want to help you get what you want!The truth is, Haas, while it is wonderful, is not the only MBA program that will help you achieve your goal. So give it your all - but not your only.

Sending you all my best!!

Thank you very much for the well thought out response and nice to hear that you are an alumni!
I was born in the later part of 88 so I'm not quite there yet!

I did both calculus and stats in undergrad but calculus was taken during my earlier courses (translating to not that great, C).

For stats during undergrad I took the Intro to Stats at community college and received a C (in 2011 at CRC, should have went to ARC!) but then at CSUS I took Quantitative Economic analysis in 2012(stats) as well as the more advanced statistics class, Econometrics, as an elective in 2013 and earned an A in both of those courses.

I feel that the verbal of MP isn't too confusing but I will likely take you up on that after I get through a bit more of the material in order to have the best handle on the way they do things.

Also, currently my number one choice on industry after the MBA is management consulting and I plan to be engaged in student activities and clubs that push me towards that industry immediately upon enrolling. Investment banking is/was also an area of interest but I don't think I've explicitly ever said that anywhere here.. You're good, how did you know that?? :lol:

I'm actually already out of Sacramento. My younger siblings are not so young anymore and I am able to afford less responsibility over others at the moment, hence the choice to go for full-time. :)
The time period that I had to do all of that has thankfully passed, for now. Having two jobs and going to Cal Poly full-time was likely the worst decision that I have made so I definitely don't want to relive that lol. This time full-time student means full-time student! :-D
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73209 [0]
Given Kudos: 18963
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an archived 'Evaluate my Profile' thread. No new replies are possible.
Interested in current discussions? Please visit the active 'Evaluate my Profile' topic.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts