Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38831 [20]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38831 [0]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Blamed for ocean pollution and harming small animals, plastic bags req [#permalink]
Top Contributor
daagh wrote:
E is more parallel than A and hence the correct choice. Drop B and C for using a redundant and ambiguous pronoun 'they'. D is not concise.
However, isn’t ‘require’ an action verb? Wouldn’t it be better to say ‘than do plastic bags’, rather than just ‘than plastic bags’?

I'm glad that you explained

Regarding the question arose,I believe,yes, 'require' is an action verb.Can you explain,how you prefer adding 'do' to remove ambiguity here?

Answer choice (E) also correctly uses the idiom require X to Y.

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Blamed for ocean pollution and harming small animals, plastic bags req [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
abdur

Quote:
E. Blamed for polluting the ocean and harming small animals, plastic bags require less energy to manufacture, ship, and recycle than paper bags but take far

The problem is to misunderstand that plastic bags require less energy than paper bags. The comparison seems to be between whether they require less energy or less number of bags
On the contrary, if we add the verb do or require after paper bags, then the comparison is clearer that the choice falls between the quanta of energy these two factors require.
There are some prude grammarians who say that even for linking verbs we will need to use the verb in the second arm as if the comparator – than - is more a conjunction than a preposition
Take for example I --- am taller than my brother – This is not acceptable to them as they want the sentence to be rephrased as -- I am taller than my brother is.

If not in the case of linking verbs or extant verbs, at least in the case of action verbs, one has to repeat the action verb in the second arm.
Let’s us take a classic case of the verb ‘know’ which is an action verb.

No one knows the child better than the mother and J&J – This is essentially wrong because this may mean as no one knows the child better than he or she knows the mother and J&J . On the contrary, if we can say that no one knows the child better than do the mother and J&J, then the intent of the sentence is quite clear.

Originally posted by daagh on 24 Sep 2016, 22:08.
Last edited by daagh on 22 Mar 2017, 04:28, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Re: Blamed for ocean pollution and harming small animals, plastic bags req [#permalink]
hi daagh,

between C and E, i felt C better for the usage of 'but they take much longer' . i felt they correctly refers to 'plastic bags' as it is closer, and i felt 'much longer' is better than 'far longer'.

please explain
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Deepika
In referencing a pronoun, the subject is the first eligible candidate and if that is not gelling logically, then we might look to other nouns.

Now it may be seen that the object noun -plastic bag- does not logically stand for the ‘they’. There is a transition word – but - which denotes a contrast, and means that the left side of the conjunction is opposite of the right. ----such as a positive –negative or a negative –positive combination. In B and C, you find them both as negative –negative combinations. Therefore, the sentence construction is faulty. This aspect has been handled properly in E (as also in D, though with poor parallelism) by giving a positive factor--- less energy --- and take much longer, a negative factor -

I feel it matters not much whether it is much longer or far longer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 2.91
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Blamed for ocean pollution and harming small animals, plastic bags req [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
E is more parallel than A and hence the correct choice. Drop B and C for using a redundant and ambiguous pronoun 'they'. D is not concise.
However, isn’t ‘require’ an action verb? Wouldn’t it be better to say ‘than do plastic bags’, rather than just ‘than plastic bags’?

Totally agreed, it should have been"than do plastic bags"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:
Blamed for ocean pollution and harming small animals, plastic bags require less energy to have to manufacture, ship, and recycle than paper bags but take far longer to decompose naturally.

A. Blamed for ocean pollution and harming small animals, plastic bags require less energy to have to manufacture, ship, and recycle than paper bags but take far
B. Paper bags require more energy to manufacture, ship, and recycle than plastic bags, which are blamed for ocean pollution and harming small animals, but they take far
C. Paper bags require more energy to manufacture, ship, and recycle than plastic bags, which are blamed for polluting the ocean and harming small animals, but they take much
D. Blamed for ocean pollution and the harm of small animals, plastic bags require less energy to have to manufacture, ship, and recycle than paper bags, but take much
E. Blamed for polluting the ocean and harming small animals, plastic bags require less energy to manufacture, ship, and recycle than paper bags but take far

Will GMAT have such questions in exam ? Because all the correct OG answers are airtight as per the rules of GMAT Sentence Correction.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
A. Require less energy to do what? To have to manufacture, Ship, and Recycle. Parallelism error- to have to manufacture is not parallel with the other two items in the list,-Incorrect
B. Parallelism error is rectified. However, a New error is introduced. “They” gives rise to an ambiguous Pronoun error, as it is not clear which noun the pronoun refers to . INCORRECT
C. AMBIGUOUS PRONOUN ERROR- ‘THEY”- INCORRECT
D. Parallelism Error- same as in A- INCORRECT
E. CORRECT ANSWER- REQUIRE LESS ENERGY TO - manufacture, ship, and recycle- Parallelism is maintained; Less...than...correct comparison word; the coordinating conjunction, ‘but’ is correctly used to depict a contradicting action...less energy...but more time
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
GPA: 3.4
WE:General Management (Human Resources)
AbdurRakib wrote:
Blamed for ocean pollution and harming small animals, plastic bags require less energy to have to manufacture, ship, and recycle than paper bags but take far longer to decompose naturally.

A. Blamed for ocean pollution and harming small animals, plastic bags require less energy to have to manufacture, ship, and recycle than paper bags but take far
B. Paper bags require more energy to manufacture, ship, and recycle than plastic bags, which are blamed for ocean pollution and harming small animals, but they take far
C. Paper bags require more energy to manufacture, ship, and recycle than plastic bags, which are blamed for polluting the ocean and harming small animals, but they take much
D. Blamed for ocean pollution and the harm of small animals, plastic bags require less energy to have to manufacture, ship, and recycle than paper bags, but take much
I am with E...most of the options have pronoun ambiguity.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
generis, are not we missing require in all options ?
X requires less energy than Y requires.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts