Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 14:58 It is currently 01 May 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 491 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72968 [0]
Given Kudos: 18900
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 491 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72968 [0]
Given Kudos: 18900
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: UCLA ($$) vs. Kellogg (1Y) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Got it - thank you for educating me on this one (I suspected but was not aware).
You will have to choose between reputation for the rest of your life vs. 2 years of experience. It is hard to go wrong with either. It depends how you feel now - if you are exhausted and need a longer break to compose yourself, then UCLA would be my suggestion. If you feel strong and ready to battle, then Kellogg is a good fit and will be strong for your goals.

UCLA is highly regional - most of the alums/hiring base is within SoCal and not even going as far north as SF Bay area. Do you have potential employers in the LA area? There are not many large ones and even the Nestle is leaving I heard....

It is a hard choice. Do you have a chance to go for the admitted students weekend?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kellogg 1-yr admitting you with only 2 yrs of experience and at only 23 means they want successful entrepreneur based in SE Asia 20 yrs down the line which is a good thing because they think you can execute.

I will go to UCLA, if I were you.

I dont think it really matters where you go to MBA between these two. You are gonna end up running the family business. I would rather get a better and well-rounded education which I don't think you will get in just 1 yr at Kellogg.

If you wanted to do MBB in SE Asia after MBA, I would have said go with Kellogg. Thats an industry where marginal differences in prestige/ranking actually makes big difference in outcome. Running your own business, I don't think people would care 5 yrs down the line if you went to Kellogg/UCLA.
Don't get me wrong but Northwestern/Kellogg isn't not a household name either like Yale/Stanford/Harvard. I dont think people outside the MBA community when you are in the real world in SE Asia care or know ranking differences between those two.

So go to UCLA, enjoy and learn for 2 yrs and get a job in food tech firm in LA out of MBA and go back home after 2-3 yrs and start running ****.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
i'd vote for ucla. 1 year seems like it won't get you what you want from b-school. if you are going back to your family business, gaining the tools necessary to really make a difference takes that extra time. plus having twice as much time to build a network is helpful. i think 1 year programs are more suited for people who are older and may have graduate degrees already. good luck and congrats
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Got it - thank you for educating me on this one (I suspected but was not aware).
You will have to choose between reputation for the rest of your life vs. 2 years of experience. It is hard to go wrong with either. It depends how you feel now - if you are exhausted and need a longer break to compose yourself, then UCLA would be my suggestion. If you feel strong and ready to battle, then Kellogg is a good fit and will be strong for your goals.

UCLA is highly regional - most of the alums/hiring base is within SoCal and not even going as far north as SF Bay area. Do you have potential employers in the LA area? There are not many large ones and even the Nestle is leaving I heard....

It is a hard choice. Do you have a chance to go for the admitted students weekend?

Yeah, Nestle is unfortunately moving Eastward. I'm looking into companies such as Amazon (Fresh) and Thrive Market, both of which recruits from UCLA, however I can't deny that Kellogg's recruitment is way better... but with 1Y i think my chances are next to almost 0 given my WE. The opportunity for academic internship at UCLA to work with start ups/other firms during second year would be super beneficial to me. I'm currently preparing for my tourist visa. I can't believe I've never been to the US after all these years!

emancipated123 wrote:
Kellogg 1-yr admitting you with only 2 yrs of experience and at only 23 means they want successful entrepreneur based in SE Asia 20 yrs down the line which is a good thing because they think you can execute.

I will go to UCLA, if I were you.

I dont think it really matters where you go to MBA between these two. You are gonna end up running the family business. I would rather get a better and well-rounded education which I don't think you will get in just 1 yr at Kellogg.

If you wanted to do MBB in SE Asia after MBA, I would have said go with Kellogg. Thats an industry where marginal differences in prestige/ranking actually makes big difference in outcome. Running your own business, I don't think people would care 5 yrs down the line if you went to Kellogg/UCLA.
Don't get me wrong but Northwestern/Kellogg isn't not a household name either like Yale/Stanford/Harvard. I dont think people outside the MBA community when you are in the real world in SE Asia care or know ranking differences between those two.

So go to UCLA, enjoy and learn for 2 yrs and get a job in food tech firm in LA out of MBA and go back home after 2-3 yrs and start running ****.

That's pretty true coz at the end it's family business and not corporate world. And at the end of the day it's all about results. One guy with MIT undergrad + Wharton MBA still has to go to my uncle who only finished vocational degree for business partners and network. You made a really convincing argument. Do you think it'll be possible for me to ask Kellogg to convert or chances are pretty much down the drain?

bkhu wrote:
i'd vote for ucla. 1 year seems like it won't get you what you want from b-school. if you are going back to your family business, gaining the tools necessary to really make a difference takes that extra time. plus having twice as much time to build a network is helpful. i think 1 year programs are more suited for people who are older and may have graduate degrees already. good luck and congrats

Thank you for your input! I also agree about the skills. I don't really wanna go for gradschool just for a piece of paper (albeit a year is still a long time but 2 years is still much better).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
GO TO USC :-D
One of the best entrepreneurship programs out there, likely to give you $$$ and like you said, prestige isn't much of a factor for you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
socalmbahopeful wrote:
GO TO USC :-D
One of the best entrepreneurship programs out there, likely to give you $$$ and like you said, prestige isn't much of a factor for you.

You're absolutely right about the school hitting me with $$$. 80k what the hell. At the same time, unfortunately I'd still prefer UCLA over USC :(... Prestige is not that much of a factor but it is still a factor. If it absolutely wasn't I would have taken Babson.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'd lean towards Kellogg too. The lifelong benefits of attending a school like that will outweigh if you feel unpleasantness towards it for 2 years.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Morgan15 wrote:
I'd lean towards Kellogg too. The lifelong benefits of attending a school like that will outweigh if you feel unpleasantness towards it for 2 years.

I agree on your view as well, but given my situation and background I'm more inclined for the 2 year program. I emailed Kellogg about making a push for 2Y (who knows the outcome really). I hate letting a school like Kellogg go but I have other developing priorities in life that requires a 2 year program. :(
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
It is really tough decision. I clearly know the perspective of a society about pretentiousness in life. I have friends from Asian culture who told me about daily things in life. So I respect it. I hope you can manage to get a 2-Year program. This will be ideal to you in terms of internship and prestige. I would not advice to go for 1-year program as you do not have the experience that may unlikely attract recruiter to you. In same time you do jot seem happy to go to UCLA. MBA is one life experience and you should enjoy it.

Although you do not prefer the idea, I lean towards to apply next year in top 10 schools. I think you can secure something.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys! bb emancipated123 bkhu socalmbahopeful Morgan15 Mo2men

I know it's been a while since I updated on this thread but here it is for my final decision! I travelled to the US to both schools admit weekend (Totally awesome). Apparently, Kellogg does offer a switch between the programs (gotta submit an additional essay). They approved me for the transfer after a lot of waiting and also an extension to my deposit deadline. I'll be matriculating at Kellogg 2Y MBA program. Didn't know this was possible!
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
Mimster wrote:

I know it's been a while since I updated on this thread but here it is for my final decision! I travelled to the US to both schools admit weekend (Totally awesome). Apparently, Kellogg does offer a switch between the programs (gotta submit an additional essay). They approved me for the transfer after a lot of waiting and also an extension to my deposit deadline. I'll be matriculating at Kellogg 2Y MBA program. Didn't know this was possible!

Really Happy to hear that and congratulations. Kellogg will a transformation in your life.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
Mimster wrote:
Hi guys! bb emancipated123 bkhu socalmbahopeful Morgan15 Mo2men

Awesome! That is the best possible outcome! I'm leaving today to a vacation in Thailand!
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats this is awesome. You won't regret your choice. You will have the best two years of your life in Evanston. So jealous you get to experience the new building!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
super happy for you. the kellogg brand, network, and experience will take you far!

Congrats!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts