It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 13:53
GPA : 9.1/10
Undergrad :- Engineering (Tier -1 college, India)
GMAT : 690 - Q49 V36 IR8 AWA5.5
Nationality : Indian

Hi everyone,

It is just another profile evaluation request, so kindly give your valuable feedback.

Educational Background: Did my undergrad from TIER -1 college . In my 4 years i participated in various events, mostly pertaining to aptitude and won many. Won only one cricket tournament. In my third year i was part of 3 organizing committees, finally headed 2 as committee head in my finally year. I held one managerial post for one of the technical society as well.

Work experience (5 years) : Working as an assistant manager in one of the UK's largest banks in Financial Risk domain. Work mostly related to forecasting risk in retail and corporate banking, including statistics, coding, presentations etc. Never been out of the country for work. My work also includes communicating with various onshore people, understanding their expectations, explaining our work and much more. I am hoping for another promotion in next few months (2nd in last 5 years), which will probably make me the youngest position holder. Apart from work i take technical trainings and mentor juniors.

Future goal: Since i am quite interested in financial markets (have been trading for some time now) and given my family background, i would like to pursue something in the same field.

Following are the schools I have sent my score till now :
1. Kellogg
2. Columbia
3. Tuck

Don't ask me why these schools, since i was dumb when i choose them.

Now the questions are :
1. Does my profile stand a chance for admits in top 20 US colleges?
2. What should be my schools I target : Dream, Realistic and fall back
3. I also intend to get a scholarship, what should be my plan in order to get it? (I will not be able to give GMAT right now but i want to apply to schools in this round)

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 18:43
Now the questions are :
Probably closer to the bottom of the top 20
Take a look at USC, UNC, Carlson...as far as some more reach schools I would say Cornell, Yale, and Carnegie Mellon
3. I also intend to get a scholarship, what should be my plan in order to get it? (I will not be able to give GMAT right now but i want to apply to schools in this round)
Put forth the the best application possible and pick schools where you stand out more on paper

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admissionado
S

Kudos [?]: 969 [0], given: 48

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 23:06
gmati3 wrote:

Hi everyone,

It is just another profile evaluation request, so kindly give your valuable feedback.

Educational Background: Did my undergrad from TIER -1 college . In my 4 years i participated in various events, mostly pertaining to aptitude and won many. Won only one cricket tournament. In my third year i was part of 3 organizing committees, finally headed 2 as committee head in my finally year. I held one managerial post for one of the technical society as well.

Work experience (5 years) : Working as an assistant manager in one of the UK's largest banks in Financial Risk domain. Work mostly related to forecasting risk in retail and corporate banking, including statistics, coding, presentations etc. Never been out of the country for work. My work also includes communicating with various onshore people, understanding their expectations, explaining our work and much more. I am hoping for another promotion in next few months (2nd in last 5 years), which will probably make me the youngest position holder. Apart from work i take technical trainings and mentor juniors.

Future goal: Since i am quite interested in financial markets (have been trading for some time now) and given my family background, i would like to pursue something in the same field.

1. Kellogg
2. Columbia
3. Tuck

Now the questions are :

Well, currently as things stand, your GMAT is the biggest weakness in your profile. So the first thing to do is to consider whether you wish to retake. Basically, in short, I believe (and this is especially so for Indian candidates) that if you can score higher on the GMAT, you should probably retake. It is COMPETITIVE out there, and you are from the biggest and toughest applicant pool, and honestly without a higher GMAT the schools you proposed will be totally out of range.

I would suggest you read through the following two articles:
http://admissionado.com/mba/3-tips-for- ... n=mba_blog
http://admissionado.com/mba/to-retake-o ... n=mba_blog

Otherwise, if you decide you wish to push forth with your current score, I'd say your competitive range would be somewhere in the 20-40 range in US schools.

I hope this helps!
Best,
Jon

And feel free to drop us a line for a more full-on Free Consultation: http://bit.ly/mbafcGC

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 969 [0], given: 48

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 23:22
1) A top 20 will be difficult with your current GMAT.

2) Indian applicants with scores in your range typically find success with schools ranked 25+ in the US. This is a statistical average. Individual mileage may vary depending on your individual strengths.

3) Getting a scholarship is a question of choosing colleges appropriately. Typically you would only get an admit from some of the highest regarded colleges in your list. The lower down the ranking from that point, the higher your chances of getting scholarships. This phenomenon is not true all the time, but most of the time.

Best,
Karthik

gmati3 wrote:

Hi everyone,

1. Kellogg
2. Columbia
3. Tuck

Now the questions are :

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 23:22

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap