Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:56 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7630 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64986 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Re: Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jkbk1732 wrote:
generis wrote:

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, [a discovery that] makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

Causality
The corrected version of the sentence does not alter the causality problems in the original.

The Results of recent studies . . . do not MAKE the acai berry one of the healthiest fruits . . .
Study results do not make the fruit superior to other fruits. Analysis, information, and conclusions do not cause fruit to be healthy.

Quote:
Study results cannot "cause" a fruit to be among "the healthiest" of available fruits. Antioxidants can. See my comments in that post.

Quote:
*Unsound logic: Options A, B, and C contain absurd logic ("logical predication" per OAs).
Study results do not cause a fruit to be healthy. What causes this fruit to be healthy? Extremely effective antioxidants.

generis In seperate instances you have said that (A),(B)& (C) are wrong coz those options say that Studies make the berry healthiest.

A. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits

B. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making them one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

In (A) & (B), "Pink Highlighted" is a complete clause and "Green Highlighted" is a modifier that modifies previous clause.
Thus, Antioxidants boosting cell function more effectively makes the berry healthiest.

So, I guess the modifier in (A) & (B) does make sense.(Though there are other issues in them). The modifier isn't modifying "Recent studies have shown that..." . Coz the previous complete clause is "the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost"

GMATNinja, generis, VeritasKarishma Please let me know if I am right in this aspect.

DmitryFarber Can you shed some light on this? Is my interpretation of Verb-ing modifier right?

Yes. The antioxidants of acai berry boost immune cell function and that makes it the healthiest fruit.

In option (A), "making it ..." modifies the previous 'that' clause "the antioxidants ... boost immune cell function ..."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [1]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Genoa2000 wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:
NischalP Yes, a regular pronoun can refer to a possessive noun. There has been some doubt about this in the past, but the GMAT does not forbid the practice, so that's that.

So we can basically refer a non-possessive pronoun to everything?

Hi Genoa2000,

I agree with the advice in the post you quoted. You could also take a look at these posts (1 and 2).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
generis wrote:
Pronouns: Possessive poison? Careful.
On the GMAT, as long as meaning is clear, both object and subject pronouns may have a possessive noun as an antecedent.

Max.MayankG wrote:
Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

A. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits
FATAL: antioxidants are compared to fruit, and the logic is absurd* (see option C)

B. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making them one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available
FATAL: them is a plural pronoun that is supposed to refer to the singular noun "berry," and the logic is absurd (see option C)*

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, which makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits
FATAL: COMMA + WHICH may NOT refer to an entire clause, or to a verb (demonstrate).
Options A, B, and C convey absurd meaning. Results of studies are information. Information does not cause a fruit to be healthy.*

D. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available. Correct. The construction may be unfamiliar, but compared to the other answers, whose errors are known to be absolutely incorrect, this option is better. It does not contain such errors. It makes sense.

E. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than the antioxidants found in almost any other fruit, they are one of the healthiest widely available fruits
FATAL: plural pronoun THEY may not refer to singular noun "acai berry."

*Unsound logic: Options A, B, and C contain absurd logic ("logical predication" per OAs).
Study results do not cause a fruit to be healthy. What causes this fruit to be healthy? Extremely effective antioxidants. Now we have D and E. No contest.

There are no typos in this question. The correct answer is D.

I. The widely held belief that a pronoun may not ever refer to a possessive noun ("possessive poison") is incorrect for the GMAT.
In particular, GMAC will occasionally allow a subject or object pronoun to refer to a possessive noun.

A decade ago, GMAC mentioned the "poison pronoun" rule once in an OE.
Even in that case, the two options were eliminated for other reasons.
GMAC has never explicitly mentioned the "rule" again. Furthermore, GMAC has published questions whose correct answers violate the alleged rule.

This Manhattan Prep question resembles an official question about the poet E. B. Browning in which the subject pronoun "she" refers to a possessive noun.
That pronoun referent startled many in the industry who had doubted that GMAC would tolerate such a construction.
Their doubt had been strong—to the point of certainty. The question and the issue have created confusion.

Max.MayankG , arvindsiv , lary301254M7 , AkshdeepS - though incorrect, your reasoning resembles that of many test takers. A decent bit of research is required to recognize that my answers in blue are correct.

That said, this question is instructive in this regard: use POE. Eliminate options with errors that have no exceptions.
You will end up with what you think is the "least" wrong answer.
That situation may not satisfy you, but it is the only way to handle SC questions in which a rule about which you are unclear arises.

Fatal errors in this case: Option A compares antioxidants to fruit; Options B and E contain pronoun disagreement; Option C misuses COMMA WHICH; and options A, B, and C are logically absurd.

Comments from forum posters about the "possessive poison" rule:
Quote:
• OA is D but I believe "it" is used incorrectly in this choice. Any comments? As long as meaning is clear, GMAC occasionally will allow a pronoun to have a possessive noun as an antecedent.

• In choice D "it" refers back to possessive "berry's". That cannot be correct. The pairing of "it" with the antecedent "berry's" CAN be correct on the GMAT.

• D is incorrect - acai berry was never mentioned in the earlier part of the sentence, therefore, "it" cannot refer back to the fruit. "It" can and does refer to the fruit. The antecedent of "it" is the possessive noun, "berry's."

• Not satisfied with the OA. There may be a typo. Possessive noun "acai berry’s antioxidants" can't work as an antecedent to "it". There is no typo. The possessive noun "berry's" can be the antecedent of "it."

Rules that seem ironclad aren't always so. That circumstance can be very frustrating.

II. The content of the infamous (and apparently perishable) poison possessive rule on the GMAT

According to the "poison pronoun rule," subject and object pronouns cannot refer to possessive nouns.

Some grammarians still hold firmly to that rule.

More than a decade ago, though, GMAC advertised that it would not follow the rule strictly in the OBJECT pronoun case (her, him, them).

GMAC used the question HERE as early as 2007 in which an OBJECT pronoun referred to a possessive noun.

That link is to a Question of the Day, in which the awesome and awesomely funny GMATNinja did not need to discuss whether the objective case, "her," could refer to the possessive noun in "the goddess Bona Dea's" because the phrase in question was not underlined and every option contained only "her." (That same official question is here.)

GMAC's maneuver at that point was equivalent to a statement that object pronouns COULD refer to possessive nouns.
A handful of similar official questions reinforced that message about object pronoun referents.
Such reference is not common. But it is not forbidden.

Whether GMAC ever subscribed strictly to the "poison pronoun" rule in the SUBJECT pronoun case is not clear.
In 2005 or 2006, apparently on a GMAT paper test, here, a possessive noun was allowed to stand for a subject pronoun:

Frances Wright's book on America contrasted the republicanism of the United States with what she saw as the aristocratic and corrupt institutions of England.

This paper test example probably was seen by very few and did not dissolve a fairly steadfast consensus.

In yet another official question even older than the Frances Wright question, in the non-underlined portion,

the word he refers to Scott Joplin's.
That OG 1988 question is here.

Until recently, many GMAT instructors believed that GMAC would not allow a subject pronoun to refer to a possessive noun.

In 2016, however, the OG contained a question about Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry, HERE.

That is, in SC #138 of OG 2016, GMAC tipped its hand on the issue of a subject pronoun referent.
SPOILER ALERT: The answer to an official question is given.
CORRECT: Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries SHE was considered the better poet.

GMAT instructors took note. Many of them observed that GMAC had "relaxed" its stance. At the least, GMAC had established that a subject pronoun COULD refer to a possessive antecedent.

I do not think that GMAC staged a revolution.

I think that GMAC test writers signaled that as long as the meaning of the sentence is clear, a subject pronoun can refer to a possessive noun. Can be acceptable does not mean is always acceptable.

In the EBB case just above, for example, there is only one woman to whom "she" can refer, namely, Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

The E.B. Browning question was not a mistake. The question continued to appear in OGs 2017, 2018, and 2019 (SC #805).

Conclusion? Note the shift and adjust your thinking just a little. We do not automatically reject an option based on what has often seemed like a rule without exceptions.

III. Excellent sources may be wrong about this issue.

Expert sources who say that pronouns cannot refer to possessive nouns are not the same people who write the GMAT.

With respect to the GMAT, the blanket possessive poison prohibition is incorrect.
Typically such sources add one exception, namely, that possessive pronouns such as "her" (her demotion) can refer to possessive nouns such as "Mary's mistake."

In a conflict between an official and a non-official source, the official source wins.

The most recent edition of a book by a very popular and well-respected source for GMAT sentence correction
is not accurate about what GMAC allows and forbids in this context.
See, for example, pages 119 and 194 of the latest edition.
(That book deserves its stellar reputation. A few inaccuracies? Eh.)

Sources on the web? Same deal. On the GMAT,
the "rule" that a possessive noun cannot be the antecedent of a pronoun, as this popular website asserts, HERE, is not absolute. The rule may not be a rule at all.

I emphasize "on the GMAT" because some well-respected sources adhere to the prohibition.

IV. Summary
On the GMAT, as long as meaning is clear, both object and subject pronouns may have a possessive noun as an antecedent, so do not automatically reject such pairings. Do not accept them blindly, either.
Sometimes okay does not equal always okay.

Correct
: Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

Answer D

P.S. "Logical predication" (meaning and causality) in Options A, B, and C, as I wrote HERE, is nonsensical at worst and iffy at best.

Study results cannot "cause" a fruit to be among "the healthiest" of available fruits. Antioxidants can. See my comments in that post.

A poor question in my opinion. Also, I read in one of the posts by GMATNinja that ',which' can refer to the entire clause.
Although rare, but it can. I have also seen questions using ',which' for an entire clause.

I will update the post when I'll come across he questions.
Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
arya251294
It's true that we can see a bit of flexibility with "which," but it still has to modify a noun, not a clause. Sure, in casual use we do this all the time ("I ate the entire cake, which annoyed my friends"), but the GMAT is another story. I'll gladly change my tune if anyone finds an official example, but I would bet large sums of money that we won't find one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
arya251294
It's true that we can see a bit of flexibility with "which," but it still has to modify a noun, not a clause. Sure, in casual use we do this all the time ("I ate the entire cake, which annoyed my friends"), but the GMAT is another story. I'll gladly change my tune if anyone finds an official example, but I would bet large sums of money that we won't find one.

Thanks a lot for your reply but I am very sure that I have seen some OG questions where "which" is modifying the entire clause.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Do you guys have any questions on top of your mind?
Meanwhile, I will search and share with you if I come across any.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64986 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Expert Reply
arya251294 wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:
arya251294

Thanks a lot for your reply but I am very sure that I have seen some OG questions where "which" is modifying the entire clause.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Do you guys have any questions on top of your mind?
Meanwhile, I will search and share with you if I come across any.

"Which" modifying the entire clause conveys informal writing.
On the GMAT, I would see what options I have and then decide. I would be surprised if such usage is found acceptable in the underlined part of a sentence, though I agree that like any language, GMAT's tolerance is also ever evolving.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
arya251294 wrote:
I am very sure that I have seen some OG questions where "which" is modifying the entire clause.

Hi arya251294, which is a pronoun (a relative pronoun) and so, like every other pronoun, which can only substitute a noun.

Clauses have verbs, and so, a pronoun cannot substitute a verb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Fruit is a plural.
Why does question stem has fruits?
Please help.

Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [0]
Send PM
Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr [#permalink]
Expert Reply
parasma

It really does vary depending on intended meaning. I went searching for a post I had written on the matter and then realized it was on this very thread. :D

Please see my post above, and feel free to follow up with any questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hi ,

I wanted a clarification on the comparison done in option choices C and D -- I had chosen C

C. the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit

D.acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit

In both -- the 2nd part of the comparison is "than those in almost any fruit"-- which led me to believe that the 1st part of the comparison should also be "something in the fruit"-- like option C's "antioxidant found in the acai berry"

Please help in explaining how "acai berry's antioxidants" is parallel to "in"
In my opinion "acai berry's antioxidants " should be parallel to "those of other fruits"
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ritu17756 wrote:
Please help in explaining how "acai berry's antioxidants" is parallel to "in"

In my opinion "acai berry's antioxidants " should be parallel to "those of other fruits"

This is not a parallelism issue at all! You are basically asking that in the given sentence, is "of" is a more appropriate preposition than "in".

I would definitely think that "in" is more appropriate (for example, we refer to Vitamin-C in the sunlight, not Vitamin-C of the sunlight). In any case, you don't really need to be concerned about this, because GMAT doesn't test you on such preposition usage (there would never be a case you are presented with two options, with preposition being the only difference).

The incorrect usage of which is a big red-flag in C, since which seems to be nonsensically referring to fruit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
Send PM
Can anyone help answer why the use of "those" in (D) is correct, wouldn't "those" refer back to "the acai berry’s antioxidants". How can it only refer to "antioxidants"?

Thanks,
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [1]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Englishmaster wrote:
Can anyone help answer why the use of "those" in (D) is correct, wouldn't "those" refer back to "the acai berry’s antioxidants". How can it only refer to "antioxidants"?

Thanks,

Hi Englishmaster,

Generally speaking, although it may under some circumstances be used to refer to an entire noun phrase, those is a great way to refer to part of a noun phrase.

Here's another (official) example.
Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Englishmaster

That's the whole value of "that" or "those" as pronouns. We can use them to refer back to a previous noun, but with a new modifier:

The pizza in New York is better than that in St. Louis.
THAT = pizza, not "pizza in New York"

My grades were lower than those of my friends.
THOSE = grades, not "my grades"

Notice that regular pronouns would get us in trouble here. We can't say "The pizza in New York is better than it is in St. Louis" or "My grades are lower than they are for my friends." In those cases, IT/THEY would refer to the fuil modified noun, creating a garbled meaning.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Englishmaster wrote:

Thanks,

Hello Englishmaster,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, as other experts in this thread have said, the pronouns "that" and "those" can be used to refer exclusively to the main noun of a noun phrase.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
OE:

(1) Take a First Glance (5 seconds)

The underline is fairly long, so expect some answers to change up the Sentence Structure. Recent studies and Because the acai berry are both are valid ways to begin a sentence; because indicates a causal relationship, so Meaning may come into play

(2) Read for Meaning

The sentence is trying to make a comparison: the antioxidants in the acai berry boost immune cell function more than the antioxidants in any other fruit boost immune cell function. In fact, though, the sentence says that the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more than any other fruit. Antioxidants should be compared to other antioxidants rather than to fruit.

(3) Find a Starting Point

Start with any difference that seems easiest to you, then move to the next easiest issue, and so on. Stop when you have one answer or you aren’t sure how to address the remaining differences. All errors for each choice are detailed in the next section.

(4) Eliminate (and Repeat)

(A) This answer compares antioxidants to fruit; the correct comparison is antioxidants to other antioxidants.

(B) This answer compares antioxidants to fruit; the correct comparison is antioxidants to other anti-oxidants. Further, the plural pronoun them incorrectly refers back to the singular noun the acai berry.

(C) This answer correctly compares antioxidants to antioxidants (the pronoun those stands in for antioxidants, here), but it introduces an incorrect modifier. Comma-which is a noun modifier, and it must modify the preceding main noun. In this answer, the which modifier would have to refer to other fruit or those (the antioxidants in the other fruit), neither of which is the reason that the acai berry is one of the healthiest fruits.

(D) CORRECT. This answer correctly compares antioxidants to antioxidants (the pronoun those stands in for antioxidants, here), and it properly uses the singular pronoun it to refer to the singular noun the acai berry. While one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available is less concise than one of the healthiest widely available fruits, either construction is acceptable (avoid eliminating answers based on concision).

(E) This answer correctly compares antioxidants to antioxidants, but it incorrectly uses the plural pronoun they to refer to the singular noun the acai berry.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
Max.MayankG wrote:
Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, which makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits

D. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

E. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than the antioxidants found in almost any other fruit, they are one of the healthiest widely available fruits

Acai berry is not a noun.. its in a prepositional phrase.. how can "it" refer to Acai Berry's ... it should refer to antioxidant..
KarishmaB AndrewN Bunuel sajjad @daag
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts