GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jan 2019, 04:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

January 22, 2019

January 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

January 26, 2019

January 26, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Oct 2018, 03:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (00:52) correct 42% (00:55) wrong based on 3655 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

(A) in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help

(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping

(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping

(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help

(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 277: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Originally posted by pusht on 05 Mar 2004, 03:36.
Last edited by Bunuel on 24 Oct 2018, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 21:54
The relatively easy part of this question is the parallelism: the words that immediately follow “either” and “or” must be strictly parallel. (And just in case you’re one of the GMAT Club members who asked: these are two of the “special parallelism triggers” I mentioned in our YouTube webinar on parallelism and meaning.)

Unfortunately, there’s also a frustrating idiom thing in this question, and I really don't think that it should be tested at all. But we can't really avoid it in this case. I’ll rant more about that below.

Quote:

Let’s start with the parallelism triggered by the either/or construction: “…supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

Hey, you can’t beat that in terms of the parallelism. Maybe you think that “aid in healing” or “such help” sound funny, but neither of them are wrong, and “sounding funny” is a terrible reason to eliminate answer choices anyway. Let’s keep (A).

Quote:

In (B), we have: “…supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for such help.

That’s all sorts of wrong. First, “either” and “and” really don’t go together at all – it just doesn’t make any sense. Second, the parallelism is wrong, anyway: “asking” and “to thank” are not parallel. So (B) is out.

Quote:

(C) suffers from exactly the same problem as (B): “either” and “and” just don’t make any sense together. Sure, “asking” and “thanking” are in the same form, but that’s irrelevant if we can’t get the either/or thing right.

So (C) is gone, too.

Quote:

Well, we have an “either/or” construction now, so that’s good, but the parallelism is still wrong: “…supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help. “Asking” and “to thank” aren’t parallel to each other, so (D) is out, too.

Quote:

The parallelism looks absolutely fine in (E): “…supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help. Cool.

So now let’s line (A) and up side-by-side, since there are no DEFINITE errors in either of them (and for more on the distinction between DEFINITE errors and other stuff, check out this crusty old article):

Quote:

Ugh, this is one of those nightmare scenarios that I absolutely dread, both as a teacher and as a test-taker: the only difference is an idiom. There are roughly 25,000 idioms in English, and they are – by definition! – arbitrary, and don’t follow generalizable rules. I discuss idioms at length in this article; you could memorize 25,000 idioms if you really want to, but the key on the overwhelming majority of GMAT SC questions is to avoid the idioms as much as possible, and look for ANY other error.

But in relatively rare cases, there’s nothing else you can do: you just have to fight with the idiom. In this case, it turns out that the GMAT prefers the phrase “aid in healing” over “aid to heal.” The same is true if we replace “aid” with “help”: “help in healing” would apparently be correct on the GMAT, but “help to heal” would not. So (A) is correct, and (E) is wrong.

Why is that the case? I don’t know. It’s an idiom, so it doesn’t need reasons. And again, I think it’s a silly thing for the GMAT to test. But in the very unlikely event that you encounter these on your actual GMAT, now you know the correct idiom: “aid in healing” or “help in healing” are correct, but “aid to heal” is wrong on the GMAT.

But more importantly: make sure you’re really strict and literal with the “either/or” business, because I 100% promise that you’ll see THAT stuff again.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2012, 11:04
noboru wrote:
106. Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea’s aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

I am responding to a pm from sujit2k7.

This is from the OG --- it's SC #109 in the OG12. Here's the OA
OA = (A)

When the verb "to aid" is followed by a verb, then
(a) "aid" + "in" + [gerund] is correct according to the idiom
but
(b) "aid" + [infinitive] is incorrect idiomatically

Remember
gerund = the "-ing" form of a verb used as a noun -- "I like singing", "Eating vegetables is good for you."
infinitive = the standard dictionary-listing for a verb, preceded by the preposition "to" --- "to be or not to be"
See this blog for more on infinitives and infinitive phrases:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/infinitive ... -the-gmat/

If the word "aid" is used as a noun and followed by a noun, the person receiving the aid, then it would be OK to use "to" as the preposition following "aid"
e.g. "Does the United States give aid to Belize?"
Essentially, the word following "to" is an indirect object in this context. If you write an indirect object as a prepositional phrase, you always use the word "to."

I can think of casual contexts in which "aid for" might be used, but I can think of anything GMAT-worthy that would use that combination.

It's not enough just ask about which preposition to use. Context is everything. It matters very much whether "aid" is a verb followed by another verb, or whether "aid" is noun followed by another noun.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 19:04
Both Aid in and Aid to are correct. But pay attention.....to what follows the propostions.

Aid to the victims (noun) is available
Her Aid in walking (verb) the dog is appreciated.

As you can see, the question, requires the second version because healing is a verb.

So based on idiom itself, you can eliminate D and E. And among A,B,C - A is the only one that follows correct either/or structure. Therefore A is correct.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2009, 14:43
Aid in + action (gerund) VS Aid to + person
Her aid in cleaning the injury is appreciated. VS The volunteer nurse provides aid to the patients.
(I referred to MGMAT strategy guide book)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2012, 18:28
Thanks a Lot mike :wave

If I got it correct then
- Aid + to + who( to whom we r giving the aid)
- Aid +in + what ( what form of aid is given )...and aid in follows a gerund

Plz correct me if wrong

I have got one doubt. Are the below construction correct:
The NGO provides aid for the Tsunami victims.
The NGO provides aid to the Tsunami victims
The NGO provides aid in rebuilding the colony devastated in Tsunami.

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2012, 13:44
sujit2k7 wrote:
I have got one doubt. Are the below construction correct:
The NGO provides aid for the Tsunami victims.
The NGO provides aid to the Tsunami victims
The NGO provides aid in rebuilding the colony devastated in Tsunami.

The NGO provides aid for the tsunami victims. = possibly something you will hear in informal spoken English, but for GMAT SC purposes, this is incorrect.

The NGO provides aid to the tsunami victims. = correct
The NGO provides aid in rebuilding the colony devastated in tsunami. = correct

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 23:39
mikemcgarry wrote:
noboru wrote:
106. Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea’s aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

I am responding to a pm from sujit2k7.

This is from the OG --- it's SC #109 in the OG12. Here's the OA
OA = (A)

When the verb "to aid" is followed by a verb, then
(a) "aid" + "in" + [gerund] is correct according to the idiom
but
(b) "aid" + [infinitive] is incorrect idiomatically

Remember
gerund = the "-ing" form of a verb used as a noun -- "I like singing", "Eating vegetables is good for you."
infinitive = the standard dictionary-listing for a verb, preceded by the preposition "to" --- "to be or not to be"
See this blog for more on infinitives and infinitive phrases:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/infinitive ... -the-gmat/

If the word "aid" is used as a noun and followed by a noun, the person receiving the aid, then it would be OK to use "to" as the preposition following "aid"
e.g. "Does the United States give aid to Belize?"
Essentially, the word following "to" is an indirect object in this context. If you write an indirect object as a prepositional phrase, you always use the word "to."

I can think of casual contexts in which "aid for" might be used, but I can think of anything GMAT-worthy that would use that combination.

It's not enough just ask about which preposition to use. Context is everything. It matters very much whether "aid" is a verb followed by another verb, or whether "aid" is noun followed by another noun.

this is most beautiful explanation. it looks nice that "aid in doing" is correct. but I do not see this idiom in dictionary.

second point is that

"healing" in A is gerund. this means, "healing" refers to a general action, not a specific action by a specific noun in the sentence.

"to heal" in E, in contrast, refers to "supplicant" . this means "supplicant ask the aid so that they can heal". this meaning is quite different from meaning in choice A and is the reason for elimination of E.

is my thinking correct? I very much want you to comment.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2014, 15:55
vietmoi999 wrote:
this is most beautiful explanation. it looks nice that "aid in doing" is correct. but I do not see this idiom in dictionary.

second point is that

"healing" in A is gerund. this means, "healing" refers to a general action, not a specific action by a specific noun in the sentence.

"to heal" in E, in contrast, refers to "supplicant" . this means "supplicant ask the aid so that they can heal". this meaning is quite different from meaning in choice A and is the reason for elimination of E.

is my thinking correct? I very much want you to comment.

Dear vietmoi999,
Thank you very much for your kind words. I am happy to respond. :-)

I think you are analyzing far too much.
aid in [gerund] is idiomatically correct.
aid [infinitive] is awkward and idiomatically incorrect

It's hard for any dictionary to list every possible correct idiom. The best way to learn idioms is to read, read, read. Nothing replaces a daily habit of reading sophisticated writings in English. If you want some practice with idioms, here are some free Idiom Flashcards:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/flashcards/idioms

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Director
Director
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 08:20
pusht wrote:
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping>>Parallelism is not ok.
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping>>parallelism is not ok.
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help>>parallelism is not ok.
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help>> it seems to me that 'to heal' (infinitive) is ok. BUT, why 'in healing' is ok??
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 08:28
iMyself wrote:
pusht wrote:

(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping>>Parallelism is not ok.
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping>>parallelism is not ok.
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help>>parallelism is not ok.
(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help>> it seems to me that 'to heal' (infinitive) is ok. BUT, why 'in healing' is ok??
Thanks...

Look for a difference between "aid to" and "aid in".

You will get your answer. :-D

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Director
Director
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 08:35
abhimahna wrote:
iMyself wrote:

Thanks...

Look for a difference between "aid to" and "aid in".

You will get your answer. :-D

There is no phrase in Cambridge dictionary like 'aid in' brother.
Attachments

aid to.PNG
aid to.PNG [ 20.99 KiB | Viewed 4449 times ]

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 13:22
iMyself wrote:

Thanks...

iMyself wrote:
There is no phrase in Cambridge dictionary like 'aid in' brother

Dear iMyself,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, this is a matter of idioms. Dictionaries may list some of more typical idioms for a particular word, but there is no way that a dictionary could list every possible idiom that could accompany a word. The absence of a possible idiom from a dictionary entry establishes nothing.

The construction with "aid" + [infinitive] is awkward.
asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid to heal physical and mental ills ...
This is not "wrong," but it sounds "off." Presumably, the infinitive used here would be an infinitive of purpose, but there is something logically suspect about this. An infinitive of purpose is typically not how we express the intent of a request we make of someone. Again, this is not B/W wrong, but it is palpably "off" in a way that is immediately obvious to a well-spoken native speaker.

By contrast, the construction with "in" is idiomatically correct.
asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills
To a native ear, this strikes a note of rightness that the other lacks. This is a valid idiom.

I realize that this is the hardest thing for folks learning English as a second language to appreciate, that intuitive sense of "rightness" about the language. I sincerely say that anyone who, starting from another language, has gotten up to GMAT level in English has my complete respect: that is a tremendous achievement in and of itself. At the same time, it takes tremendous additional effort for a non-native speaker who is already highly competent in English to build this deep intuitive sense of "rightness," and few students have the stamina or the patience for such work. The difference maker is the habit of reading, which over times builds intuition. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 02:35
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 08:53
bpiyush wrote:
Experts please pitch in

Dear bpiyush,

My friend, I am going to chide you for asking a not-very-helpful question. This thread is five pages long: it is full of all kinds of discussions. What exactly is the dispute or uncertainty that requires attention? Your question is not helpful to us experts and it also was not helpful to you. Think about it. How much time did it take to write and post that question? How much effort did it take? How much thoughtful reflection went into crafting that question? The process of education is very much a reflection of what you bring: low effort brings meager rewards and high effort brings substantial rewards. If you aspire to an excellent performance, I strongly recommend the habits of excellence. One of these concerns the often underrated value of crafting high quality questions. See:
Asking Excellent Questions
You see, the reflection and thoughtful effort it takes to craft an excellent question is actually an essential and often neglected part of the learning process. It's important to bring as much diligence and priority to this task as to the other learning tasks. How you do anything is how you do everything.

Here's my challenge to you. Come back to this thread and study it carefully. Think about the exact issue that you believe need clarification. Explain what you understand from all the parties who discussed that topic, cite all the relevant authors & entries, explain exactly what you understand and exactly the part that is still unclear to you. If you ask that excellent question, I will be more than happy to respond.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 23:16
mikemcgarry wrote:
bpiyush wrote:
Experts please pitch in

Dear bpiyush,

My friend, I am going to chide you for asking a not-very-helpful question. This thread is five pages long: it is full of all kinds of discussions. What exactly is the dispute or uncertainty that requires attention? Your question is not helpful to us experts and it also was not helpful to you. Think about it. How much time did it take to write and post that question? How much effort did it take? How much thoughtful reflection went into crafting that question? The process of education is very much a reflection of what you bring: low effort brings meager rewards and high effort brings substantial rewards. If you aspire to an excellent performance, I strongly recommend the habits of excellence. One of these concerns the often underrated value of crafting high quality questions. See:
Asking Excellent Questions
You see, the reflection and thoughtful effort it takes to craft an excellent question is actually an essential and often neglected part of the learning process. It's important to bring as much diligence and priority to this task as to the other learning tasks. How you do anything is how you do everything.

Here's my challenge to you. Come back to this thread and study it carefully. Think about the exact issue that you believe need clarification. Explain what you understand from all the parties who discussed that topic, cite all the relevant authors & entries, explain exactly what you understand and exactly the part that is still unclear to you. If you ask that excellent question, I will be more than happy to respond.

Dear mikemcgarry,
Thanks for your reply. I highly appreciate this forum and the efforts that have been put forward by all the members. I am sorry for my question that did not reflect the doubt I actually had. So my doubt is between the options A and E which would be better. I am facing difficulty in that. I do understand the question brings in the concept of correlative conjunctions and parallelism. I do understand the usage of asking after either would require the usage of thanking after or. But whether it should be in healing or to heal there lies my doubt.
Please help me with this doubt.
Regards
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 09:30
bpiyush wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry,
Thanks for your reply. I highly appreciate this forum and the efforts that have been put forward by all the members. I am sorry for my question that did not reflect the doubt I actually had. So my doubt is between the options A and E which would be better. I am facing difficulty in that. I do understand the question brings in the concept of correlative conjunctions and parallelism. I do understand the usage of asking after either would require the usage of thanking after or. But whether it should be in healing or to heal there lies my doubt.
Please help me with this doubt.
Regards

Dear bpiyush,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Thank you for asking a much better question.

What you are asking is an idiom question. I will recommend these free resource:
GMAT Idiom Flashcards
GMAT Idiom eBook

The correct idiom is: to ask for aid in doing X.

The infinitive sound unnatural in this context. It's close to an infinitive of purpose, but it doesn't work here.

It's hard to learn all the nuances of idioms. I strongly recommend developing a habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 07:16
Hi.. i have a query here. The question first talks about Bona Die's AID.. and then it says thanking HER for such help. Is that correct?

Do explain what i am missing here.
VP
VP
P
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 08:41
Hi Shraddha, I am assuming your question is how an object pronoun (her) can refer to possessive noun (Bona Dea's).

Similarly, there are instances where Subject pronoun referring to possessive noun.

So, the answer is that GMAT takes a liberal view of these references.

p.s. This is often a source of confusion for test takers. Hence, our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana specifically mentions Pronoun Flexibility. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Pronoun Flexibility.pdf [10.58 KiB]
Downloaded 38 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta &nbs [#permalink] 01 May 2018, 08:41

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap