GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 18:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 22:52
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (00:47) correct 47% (00:55) wrong based on 124 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 277: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

(A) in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help

(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping

(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping

(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help

(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
QOTD: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 22:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The relatively easy part of this question is the parallelism: the words that immediately follow “either” and “or” must be strictly parallel. (And just in case you’re one of the GMAT Club members who asked: these are two of the “special parallelism triggers” I mentioned in our YouTube webinar on parallelism and meaning.)

Unfortunately, there’s also a frustrating idiom thing in this question, and I really don't think that it should be tested at all. But we can't really avoid it in this case. I’ll rant more about that below.

Quote:

Let’s start with the parallelism triggered by the either/or construction: “…supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

Hey, you can’t beat that in terms of the parallelism. Maybe you think that “aid in healing” or “such help” sound funny, but neither of them are wrong, and “sounding funny” is a terrible reason to eliminate answer choices anyway. Let’s keep (A).

Quote:
(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping

In (B), we have: “…supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for such help.

That’s all sorts of wrong. First, “either” and “and” really don’t go together at all – it just doesn’t make any sense. Second, the parallelism is wrong, anyway: “asking” and “to thank” are not parallel. So (B) is out.

Quote:
(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping

(C) suffers from exactly the same problem as (B): “either” and “and” just don’t make any sense together. Sure, “asking” and “thanking” are in the same form, but that’s irrelevant if we can’t get the either/or thing right.

So (C) is gone, too.

Quote:
(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help

Well, we have an “either/or” construction now, so that’s good, but the parallelism is still wrong: “…supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help. “Asking” and “to thank” aren’t parallel to each other, so (D) is out, too.

Quote:

The parallelism looks absolutely fine in (E): “…supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help. Cool.

So now let’s line (A) and up side-by-side, since there are no DEFINITE errors in either of them (and for more on the distinction between DEFINITE errors and other stuff, check out this crusty old article):

Quote:

Ugh, this is one of those nightmare scenarios that I absolutely dread, both as a teacher and as a test-taker: the only difference is an idiom. There are roughly 25,000 idioms in English, and they are – by definition! – arbitrary, and don’t follow generalizable rules. I discuss idioms at length in this article; you could memorize 25,000 idioms if you really want to, but the key on the overwhelming majority of GMAT SC questions is to avoid the idioms as much as possible, and look for ANY other error.

But in relatively rare cases, there’s nothing else you can do: you just have to fight with the idiom. In this case, it turns out that the GMAT prefers the phrase “aid in healing” over “aid to heal.” The same is true if we replace “aid” with “help”: “help in healing” would apparently be correct on the GMAT, but “help to heal” would not. So (A) is correct, and (E) is wrong.

Why is that the case? I don’t know. It’s an idiom, so it doesn’t need reasons. And again, I think it’s a silly thing for the GMAT to test. But in the very unlikely event that you encounter these on your actual GMAT, now you know the correct idiom: “aid in healing” or “help in healing” are correct, but “aid to heal” is wrong on the GMAT.

But more importantly: make sure you’re really strict and literal with the “either/or” business, because I 100% promise that you’ll see THAT stuff again.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Re: QOTD: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 23:33
This post received
KUDOS
Split 1: -
The Idiom is "Either X or Y"
B and C ---> Both of them don't follow the idiom. hence INCORRECT

Split 2: -
D ---> This option follows the idiom but both X and Y are not parallel. Hence INCORRECT

Split 3: -
Now we are left with Option A and E

aid in V/S aid to

I think "Aid to X" is used when "X" stands for a person or entity
"aid in verb-ing" is also a correct IDIOM form

In this case, X stands for "heal physical ills" that is incorrect. Hence we would have to use "aid in verb-ing"

Hence Option A

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

Intern
Intern
B
Re: QOTD: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 23:59
A) option looks correct in its structure.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 02:28
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

(A) in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help - Correct

(B) in healing physical and mental ills and to thank her for helping - Either X or Y is the correct idiom

(C) in healing physical and mental ills, and thanking her for helping - Either X or Y is the correct idiom

(D) to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help - Either X or Y -- here X and Y need to be parallel

(E) to heal physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help - aid to heal is unidiomatic

Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 18:18
I was between A and D, and picked D.

I see from a few responses that D is not parallel. Could someone expand on that? To me, "to heal...or to thank" seems parallel.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.64
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
jsheppa

IMO,

D has the structure:
who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid to heal physical and mental ills or to thank her for such help

asking the goddess... is not parallel to to thank her...
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Operations
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 11:22
could you just please differentiate between A & E.
As far i've known we use infinitive form for future activities in certain cases. Ex : thanks to help me
Explain y E is not the correct answer.
Re: QOTD: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small   [#permalink] 11 May 2018, 11:22

QOTD: Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap